GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => General Discussion => Topic started by: TheCommandTent on May 31, 2014, 07:27:15 AM

Title: Solar Roadways
Post by: TheCommandTent on May 31, 2014, 07:27:15 AM
So I have been seeing news about this showing up all over the place but not here yet so I thought I would share.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/solar-roadways





There are so many cool things about this concept and the possibilities are great.  However, being the cynic this is one of those to good to be true type concepts.  I would imagine the cost being prohibitive and the maintenance to be burdensome.  But still this is such a awesome sci-fi looking concept.
Title: Re: Solar Roadways
Post by: Martok on May 31, 2014, 01:26:02 PM
It does sound too good to be true, but it would be freakin' awesome if they somehow pulled it off. 

Title: Re: Solar Roadways
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 31, 2014, 01:28:56 PM
And I'm sure with car GPS's, we'll get to pay a per kilometre fee for the privilege of driving on them.
Title: Re: Solar Roadways
Post by: DoctorQuest on May 31, 2014, 01:44:29 PM
We will have to do this eventually. We will wait until it's ALMOST too late (like humans always do) but at some point it will be come enconomically feasible relative to the cost of other energy sources.

I am going to call these folks when I need a new driveway. :)
Title: Re: Solar Roadways
Post by: Staggerwing on May 31, 2014, 02:57:40 PM
If you can drive trucks over this stuff why aren't entire roofs made of it too?
Title: Re: Solar Roadways
Post by: DoctorQuest on May 31, 2014, 06:04:14 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on May 31, 2014, 02:57:40 PM
If you can drive trucks over this stuff why aren't entire roofs made of it too?

That would be in my plans for it. Might be weight. One complaint of solar panels is their fragile nature. Having ones that can stand up to midwestern storms would be great here in Nebraska.
Title: .
Post by: eyebiter on June 01, 2014, 07:23:36 AM
.
Title: Re: Solar Roadways
Post by: Staggerwing on June 01, 2014, 07:29:33 AM
If you covered them with numerous replaceable polycarbonate shields then small hail would be no problem and even larger hail might dent the covers over time but you could selectively swap in new shields over the collectors on an as-need basis.
Title: Re: Solar Roadways
Post by: Staggerwing on June 01, 2014, 07:30:34 AM
BTW, Eyebiter- what is your avatar clip from?
Title: Re: Solar Roadways
Post by: GDS_Starfury on June 01, 2014, 07:46:16 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on June 01, 2014, 07:30:34 AM
BTW, Eyebiter- what is your avatar clip from?

Mirths last girlfriend.   :knuppel2:
Title: Re: Solar Roadways
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on June 01, 2014, 09:07:45 AM
I thought Mirth liked the rolly polly ride the jello type.
Title: .
Post by: eyebiter on June 01, 2014, 08:40:49 PM
.
Title: Re: Solar Roadways
Post by: GDS_Starfury on June 01, 2014, 11:23:38 PM
that appeals to me on so many different levels.   :2funny:

for those that don't know, Eduard makes so sick model kits and were the pioneers of photo etching, resign parts and decals.  the kits are usually fantastic and the detail is incredible.
Title: Re: Solar Roadways
Post by: GDS_Starfury on June 01, 2014, 11:24:24 PM
and I'd shtup the blonde in a heart beat.  O:-)
Title: Re: Solar Roadways
Post by: endfire79 on June 01, 2014, 11:50:00 PM
Interesting concept.  I don't want to be a total skeptic, but it sounds like a maintenance nightmare, until maybe 95% of vehicles were elec driven.

FAQ's:  http://www.solarroadways.com/faq.shtml#faqTraction (http://www.solarroadways.com/faq.shtml#faqTraction)



Title: Re: Solar Roadways
Post by: GDS_Starfury on June 01, 2014, 11:54:04 PM
in the same line of thinking, horse trails had to become modern roads at some point.
Title: Re: Solar Roadways
Post by: bayonetbrant on June 02, 2014, 05:33:19 AM
Seems like it would be easy enough to start small with these and test the concept - replace a bunch of playground courts (tennis, hoops, etc) with these panels and see how it works out with the combination of reprogrammable lighting (switch basketball courts from full-size to multiple half-size) and power generation from those courts, since no overhead trees = maximum possible sunlight.
I can think of at least 2-3 places here in town that would be great test-beds for the concept.

After that, maybe you could get some big arena to give it a try with their parking lots - especially if the power generated from the parking lots might make a huge difference in running the arena.
Title: Re: Solar Roadways
Post by: Centurion40 on June 02, 2014, 08:10:57 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 02, 2014, 05:33:19 AM
Seems like it would be easy enough to start small with these and test the concept - replace a bunch of playground courts (tennis, hoops, etc) with these panels and see how it works out with the combination of reprogrammable lighting (switch basketball courts from full-size to multiple half-size) and power generation from those courts, since no overhead trees = maximum possible sunlight.
I can think of at least 2-3 places here in town that would be great test-beds for the concept.

After that, maybe you could get some big arena to give it a try with their parking lots - especially if the power generated from the parking lots might make a huge difference in running the arena.

Bingo.
Title: Re: Solar Roadways
Post by: DoctorQuest on June 02, 2014, 12:13:14 PM
Quote from: endfire79 on June 01, 2014, 11:50:00 PM
Interesting concept.  I don't want to be a total skeptic, but it sounds like a maintenance nightmare, until maybe 95% of vehicles were elec driven.

FAQ's:  http://www.solarroadways.com/faq.shtml#faqTraction (http://www.solarroadways.com/faq.shtml#faqTraction)

But is it any worse then maintaining any other big source of electricity? I mean really? We STILL don't know what we're going to do with spent nuclear fuel. Not trying to figure out how do to solar is just stupid. We may have some fits and starts but we absolutely have to figure it out eventually. This is the best idea I've seen so far.
Title: Re: Solar Roadways
Post by: endfire79 on June 02, 2014, 01:33:26 PM
I said I didn't want to be a total skeptic :)  Agreed about the horse trails analogy.

I agree, certainly worth to check this out and  test out on a smaller scale, and see what can be improved and ironed out (Not just swallow something because of a slick presentation). 

Stretching it out a bit, I can imagine a 'smart' highway telling the Sunday driver on the left lane to move to the right unless he's passing  ;)
Title: Re: Solar Roadways
Post by: Centurion40 on June 02, 2014, 01:40:05 PM
I'd like to see if tested out on people's driveways and an outdoor basketball court or two.  In southern and northern climes.

I could see Vegas making good use of this technology.
Title: Re: Solar Roadways
Post by: DoctorQuest on June 02, 2014, 02:01:40 PM
Quote from: Centurion40 on June 02, 2014, 01:40:05 PM
I'd like to see if tested out on people's driveways and an outdoor basketball court or two.  In southern and northern climes.

I could see Vegas making good use of this technology.

Absolutely agree. We need some proofs of concept and those are excellent suggestions.

And what would look more like Tron than Vegas?  :coolsmiley:
Title: Re: Solar Roadways
Post by: endfire79 on June 02, 2014, 02:09:10 PM
I say we start with Gus's driveway.  Pimp that up, and he'll be Ace Rothstein in no time.  Star can be Nicky Santoro.  ;)
Title: Re: Solar Roadways
Post by: Centurion40 on June 02, 2014, 02:54:22 PM
Quote from: endfire79 on June 02, 2014, 02:09:10 PM
I say we start with Gus's driveway.  Pimp that up, and he'll be Ace Rothstein in no time.  Star can be Nicky Santoro.  ;)

Suit-up my driveway and set me up to be the next Steve Wynn, please!! O0
Title: Re: Solar Roadways
Post by: OJsDad on October 03, 2016, 07:38:23 AM
They've installed a test section in a public park. 

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/solar-road-tiles-get-their-first-public-test/ar-BBwV7UF?li=AA4Zoy&ocid=spartanntp
Title: Re: Solar Roadways
Post by: Barthheart on October 03, 2016, 08:13:23 AM
Cool! Good for them and Sandpoint for taking the initiative to test the product.

It will be interesting to see, via the web cam, how well they deal with winter weather...
Title: Re: Solar Roadways
Post by: Sir Slash on October 03, 2016, 10:13:09 AM
Great idea but where you gonna drive at.... NIGHT?  :uglystupid2:
Title: Re: Solar Roadways
Post by: steve58 on October 06, 2016, 09:49:57 AM
Looks like there is a solar bike/walkway already in use in Poland (https://www.indy100.com/article/poland-has-glowing-blue-bike-lanes-that-are-charged-by-the-sun-7347901).

(https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/styles/article_large/public/thumbnails/image/2016/10/06/11/bike1.jpg)