GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: RooksBailey on June 04, 2014, 04:02:30 PM

Title: Battlefield 4 Finally Fixed?
Post by: RooksBailey on June 04, 2014, 04:02:30 PM
I've been following this game since its release because, like with a lot of other shooter fans, Battlefield was my favorite shooter franchise.  Of course, we all know that shameful history of Battlefield 4 - its premature release and the resultant swarm of bugs.  This is why I have refused to touch it.  Well, it looks like it only took DICE seven months to fix the game  ::)  but they have finally done it with yesterday's patch:



It was interesting to watch the general consensus switch so rapidly the last few days.  Generally, I would say the comments below any BF4 article were 3:1 against.  After this patch it suddenly switched to 3:1 in favor of BF4.  One person even posted that "this was the game I hoped to play last year!"  ;D  Very positive vibe now.

So...I broke down and got it.  :-[  I was going to wait for the complete edition but I saw Amazon has the physical DVD for $26, which is a pretty good deal (it was briefly $21!  :tickedoff: ).  If I can get the premium package on sale, it won't cost me any more than just waiting for the complete edition in September. 

BTW: I've been noticing a switch lately: this is the third physical copy I've purchased this year - which is three more than I have purchased in the past five years.  It seems that as digital downloads become more popular, the price of physical DVDs is now dropping below digital copies!  Interesting switch.

Edit: DICE official explanation:

Title: Re: Battlefield 4 Finally Fixed?
Post by: vyshka on June 04, 2014, 05:06:46 PM
It would have been better if they could have shown numbers for a typical server, not just 2 players alone.
Title: Re: Battlefield 4 Finally Fixed?
Post by: RooksBailey on June 04, 2014, 06:24:49 PM
Quote from: vyshka on June 04, 2014, 05:06:46 PM
It would have been better if they could have shown numbers for a typical server, not just 2 players alone.

Yeah, some people have said the same thing.  Still, based on the continuing feedback in the wake of this patch, it looks like PC gamers are overwhelmingly satisfied. 

Guess I'll find out the truth when my copy arrives.
Title: Re: Battlefield 4 Finally Fixed?
Post by: RooksBailey on July 11, 2014, 02:00:36 PM
Well, as I indicated above, I purchased the base game and the premium edition.  Since buying it, I have put in just short of 50 hours and I have to say, yes, the game is finally good to go (just did a blog entry on this if you want to learn more ;) )!  So...I am excited to see the next expansion which just got its first teaser!

Title: Re: Battlefield 4 Finally Fixed?
Post by: RooksBailey on September 09, 2014, 03:43:39 PM
The last Final Stand DLC pack is revealed:



BF4 might have gotten off to a horrible, horrible start, but it has now matured into a solid PC shooter. Coincidentally, this past week I have been putting in a bunch of hours into the game (I think I finally hit the 90 hour mark) and have really been enjoying the game in a big way. The game seems to definitely have hit its stride (my impressions here (http://burkesjoystick.blogspot.com/2014/07/summer-games-battlefield-4.html)). If you haven't tried it yet, BF4 is now part of Origin's 48 hour Game Time where you can try it before you buy. If you've been on the fence, check it out. 

This pack looks like a nice change from the jungles and seaside resorts of the other map packs.  I love the snowy maps!  It also looks like a return of the Russians! My only concern is that the pack is described as "infantry-focused" - I am hoping like heck this isn't going to be another map pack like BF3's dreadful CoD clone map pack that was called "CQB". That was so bad most servers never ran it.  Hopefully they just mean limited vehicles like in most BFBC2 maps.

Lastly, the appearance of a hovertank, and the suggestion that other futuristic weaponry is going to be present (I saw a mech!) - clearly indicates that EA/DICE are still shadowboxing against CoD with their forthcoming Advanced Warfare title.  Clearly "modern warfare" is now done, and every shooter now needs to be futuristic. Sigh.  I am never one to clamor for a return to WWII, but seeing what DICE accomplished with BF4 I definitely think a WWII Battlefield could shine in a BIG way.
Title: Re: Battlefield 4 Finally Fixed?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 09, 2014, 04:00:51 PM
Has there been any additional SP content released, or is all the DLC MP focused?
Title: Re: Battlefield 4 Finally Fixed?
Post by: RooksBailey on September 09, 2014, 04:41:34 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 09, 2014, 04:00:51 PM
Has there been any additional SP content released, or is all the DLC MP focused?

All MP DLC.  Really, just map packs with a few additional vehicles, weapons, and skins.   Truth be told, if you haven't tried the MP, you should give yourself a treat and jump in.   While the BF SP campaigns aren't as terrible as everyone says, BF only really shines in a big way with the MP.   O0
Title: Re: Battlefield 4 Finally Fixed?
Post by: jomni on September 09, 2014, 08:00:51 PM
What makes it different from BF3?
Title: Re: Battlefield 4 Finally Fixed?
Post by: RooksBailey on September 09, 2014, 09:14:22 PM
Quote from: jomni on September 09, 2014, 08:00:51 PM
What makes it different from BF3?

Yesterday I reinstalled BF3 because I felt like fighting some Russians and in some ME locales because of...well, the news  :) ... and I have to be honest: I actually had a hard time getting back into the game.  While graphically I didn't see much of a distinction (but my rig can't run BF4 on ultra like it could BF3, so there is that caveat), I did notice the tremendous improvement that DICE made to the UI.  BF4's UI is a lot better, from how you can actually click on the map for a spawn point, to the helpful minimalist in-game UI.  Of course, people don't play BF for the UI, but it really struck me at how awkward it was to use it after getting used to BF4s refinements. 

Other points:

BF3 had few customizations for weapons and uniforms, BF4 is much closer to CoD now in that there are a ton of skins for weapons, vehicles, and uniforms.   Also, you can design a custom icon that gets stamped on all your gear and vehicles.  This is just chrome, but it makes for a nice visual effect.

The destruction in BF4 is much closer to what we had in Bad Company 2: buildings can come crashing down, and there are all sorts of destructible bits built into the terrain.

There is also commander mode again, albeit, I find it to be a mode that is rarely used by players. 

There are other odds and ends too, like being able to lean around corners - which is a handy edition. 

Overall, BF4 plays like a more polished (now!) BF3.  Not worth the full price, frankly, but if you can get the base game and/or Premium membership at a discount, it is worth it IMO.

PS: I wrote up a more comprehensive overview of BF4 here (http://burkesjoystick.blogspot.com/2014/07/summer-games-battlefield-4.html).  That should give you a good idea of what changed.


Title: Re: Battlefield 4 Finally Fixed?
Post by: RooksBailey on September 30, 2014, 09:10:00 PM
Again, they screwed up big time, but DICE has been keeping their word about continual improvements.  New patch today that is the result of feedback from the community:

QuoteWhat We are Improving

We want to highlight a few key updates and enhancements we've made based on your feedback, but if you'd like to dive deeper into the full update notes they can be found at the link here: Full Battlefield 4 Update Notes

Core Changes

Here are some of the tweaks and changes we've made to BF4 with this update. We'll continue to listen to your feedback to see how we can further improve the BF4 experience so keep that feedback coming.

- Player movement has been improved to more closely match that of Battlefield 3, while still maintaining the animation fidelity of Battlefield 4.

- The High Frequency Network Update has now been added to the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 and is set to default. This makes the server update the client on what is happening with greater frequency, resulting in a smoother, more "correct" player experience.

- Reduced visual recoil of guns. This includes all medium and close range sights (except iron sights, IRNV and FLIR).

- The BF4 "netcode" has seen several tweaks and is now the fastest in the franchise's history, counting client-to-client values. The delay is now lower than ever, and we're also looking to improve hit detection.

Classic Mode

By popular demand, the Fall Update introduces a new preset called "Classic Mode". Rules on these servers hone back to Battlefield 2/3 and are designed for skilled players looking for more of a challenge and seeking stricter rules.

For instance, you are able to spawn on only the squad leader in Classic Mode, increasing the challenge and need for greater tactical thinking as a squad leader.

In-Game UI streamlined

We've also made several improvements and customization options to the Battlefield 4 HUD. The user interface is more intuitive than ever, and you can now tinker with settings to find a display that suits your needs on the Battlefield the best.

For instance, you can change settings for the in-world icons that are visible when aiming down the sights. Some players don't want to see their teammates in this view, and that is something you can toggle on and off. Furthermore: the size of the mini map can be increased by up to 250% and you can also change the transparency of icons to your liking. Once again, see the full update notes for details.

Again, these are just a few of the improvements and enhancements the Fall Update introduces to BF4. Thanks again for all the Battlefield fans out there and your continued support, keep the feedback coming because we are listening. We look forward to seeing you on the Battlefield!

Game On!

Fredrik Loving
General Manager, DICE LA

Full log here:  http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2979150494051082340/

Haven't had a chance to try it yet.
Title: Re: Battlefield 4 Finally Fixed?
Post by: JudgeDredd on October 01, 2014, 01:06:21 AM
The only "bug" I noticed in BF4 was the story was shite  :)

Seriously not a patch on BF3.

I honestly didn't noticed anything else, though I seldom play online (if that's where most of the bugs were)
Title: Re: Battlefield 4 Finally Fixed?
Post by: RooksBailey on October 01, 2014, 02:55:06 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 01, 2014, 01:06:21 AM
The only "bug" I noticed in BF4 was the story was shite  :)

I think I did 50% of the campaign in BF3, and only the first chapter of BF4.   ;D  The BF series is not really about the campaign.  I don't even know why DICE wasted time on it.  BF is all about the MP.

QuoteI honestly didn't noticed anything else, though I seldom play online (if that's where most of the bugs were)

I played for a few hours yesterday and the only thing I did notice was the new player movement.  It is more bouncy like BF3 movement.  It is playing heck with my aiming!  LOL!  Other than that, I didn't notice anything too different.  I am curious to fool with the new HUD options, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
Title: Re: Battlefield 4 Finally Fixed?
Post by: JudgeDredd on October 01, 2014, 03:22:26 PM
It doesn't mean MP for me. BF3's campaign and story were superb I thought. Very high quality and a great story.

BF4 was - well, a bit pants. I found online ok - but I'm not a huge fan of online at all.
Title: Re: Battlefield 4 Finally Fixed?
Post by: RooksBailey on October 01, 2014, 03:51:38 PM
Well, I did get 50% of the way through BF3's campaign, so maybe it was better than I recall.  Perhaps I should go back and finish it. 

For me, nothing beats the entirely unpredictable gameplay found in MP.  I have seen some totally wild, and totally epic online battles that no SP campaign could ever match.  You should try MP a bit more.  Just turn off the chat window and don't use Teamspeak.   ;D