So it looks like there is a free pre-release version of the crowd funded "resurrection" of the old roguelike ADOM available for download now. Complete with graphical tile set.
http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/
http://www.ancardia.com/download.html
Saw James Allen's recent video on it. I didn't know it was available already!
Not sure if they're going to sell it or it will continue to be free after being officially finished.
I've been on yet another Roguelike kick lately, so I've been getting further acquainted with the new Tile Beta of ADOM.
I'm not familiar with the details of this one, as I never played the ASCII version, but it's obviously another NetHack derivative. Just learning as I go, after getting used to the most oft-used key commands (per usual with Roguies).
Anyway.. on to my reason for posting. I really like the tile art in this upcoming version, so here's a screenshot of my soon-to-be-dead character:
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi58.tinypic.com%2F9j29fk.jpg&hash=e8956fceac62aa0bb3c4e0cea3398aa2fa90c8e2)
ADOM was greenlit on Steam recently and will have a pay version like TOME.
Quote from: Blucher on June 27, 2014, 08:36:06 AM
ADOM was greenlit on Steam recently and will have a pay version like TOME.
Thanks for the info.
So if it's like TOME, then there will be a free version and an inexpensive pay version with a few extra features?
I've not found many hard details on it's upcoming release. I figured someone here would know more. O0
Yeah that's my understanding it will be like the TOME release. One free and one pay with extra features.
Here you go here's the Steam greenlight page:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=258925365
Cool. Thanks again. O0
There is a new (FREE) pre-release ADOM download that came out on July 20th.
http://www.ancardia.com/download.html
The Steam release is supposed to happen soon, but I've been very impatient since checking out an earlier version of this new graphically tiled edition. I think the one I had been using was from over a year ago. :knuppel2:
Also noticed some RPS article about some dude putting up a torrent compilation of 700 free roguelikes, which reminded me to check and see how close the new ADOM is to Steam release and discovered they finally put an updated version up for d/l. 8) And I just bought Caves Of Qud five minutes before finding this out!
Thanks for the heads up on ADOM, will be checking it out.
Caves of Qud is a good one, good tileset and nicely configurable, I bought it this week and put 22hrs into it already.
Great to see more quality roguelikes coming to Steam, looking forward to Cogmind coming to steam next year too.
I'm glad to see some of the greats getting tilesets and extra development too. O0
Really getting into Qud now. I don't think the tile set is all that great compared to some other RLs, but it's still FAR better than ASCII which I avoid like the plague. It looks like a vaguely familiar set that's been used in others.. or maybe just the style, I dunno. Still haven't become comfortable with a character build to survive very long yet, but that's part of the enjoyment. Experimentation!
I fired up the latest ADOM pre-release last night, for a short run. Now that is a slick looking tile set. I was also extremely surprised to find that it now has pretty much full mouse support for everything. :o I still prefer using keyboard for movement, so I'll probably still use a lot of hotkeys. Nevertheless, that is a huge leap which most overhauls of old RLs just don't achieve to this extent.
Have any of you given Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead a crack? I've been a supporter for ages, but haven't put much time into it, it's basically a far out version of The Walking Dead.
http://en.cataclysmdda.com/
Quote from: spelk on July 29, 2015, 06:22:42 AM
Have any of you given Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead a crack? I've been a supporter for ages, but haven't put much time into it, it's basically a far out version of The Walking Dead.
I tried it a couple times. It's a good roguelike, although I haven't put it through the paces since there have been others I'm stuck in.
Actually downloaded the latest version of it, right after getting the latest ADOM last night, because I know it's development has been moving along steadily too.
Yeah CDDA looks good too, I tested it out a while back but not long enough to really get it configured nicely for playing on my KB without Numpad, need to revisit it soon and really give it a good go.
Nice, I usually play Nethack and Sword of the Stars: The Pit, and lately Caves of Qud, but glad to have added ADOM and CDDA to check out soon too now O0
The new ADOM roguelike releases on Steam tomorrow (as does COE4!).
Gonna be a good day for my casual gaming. O0
http://store.steampowered.com/app/333300/?snr=1_7_7_comingsoon_150_1
Quote from: Nefaro on November 15, 2015, 09:57:30 PM
The new ADOM roguelike releases on Steam tomorrow (as does COE4!).
Gonna be a good day for my casual gaming. O0
http://store.steampowered.com/app/333300/?snr=1_7_7_comingsoon_150_1
Actually, releases today :P
(and COE4 is already out)
P.S Yeah I know... fun with timezones.