Anyone else playing this? It started out as a FTP Flash game, followed by an IOS version, and now in it's 3rd generation it's available as an Early Access title ($15) onSteam (http://store.steampowered.com/app/257170/). I picked it up last night and am having a blast with it.
You start off as the leader of a small band of survivors during the zombie apocalypse (what else), in control of a small number of city blocks. Gameplay consists of scouting out new buildings, clearing them of Zeds, scavenging, and then reclaiming them. Some buildings provide supplies (farms produce food, police stations have bonus ammo), others more living space so you can recruit new people you meet along the way. Threats include not only hordes of Zeds (which grow larger and more threatening as the game progresses), but also packs of wild animals, other factions competing for the same resources (up to 2 at this point. I don't know if the final version will allow for more). Your gang members can be assigned any one of a number of jobs, but they each specialize in only one and can level up in their specialty through working in it. Reclaiming a workshop allows you to build weapons and explosives, and reclaiming a lab and working it opens up the tech tree. The goal is to "reclaim" 50 city blocks and then earn enough prestige with the rival factions so that they join up with you.
Did I mention the random events and difficult choices? At one point in my first game I had everyone on half-rations because food was low, and morale was dropping quickly. A stray dog appeared in camp, and when he turned out to be friendly I could either take him in and give him to somebody as a pet, boosting that person's morale permanently (plus the pooch would guard against attacks by packs of wild dogs), or serve him up for dinner, which would offer a temporary morale boost to the whole party. Later in the game, Gustav the Trader (who also runs both a traveling casino and a traveling brothel) showed up offering ammo and medicine in exchange for one of my women.
The game can be played in either (pausable) real-time or turn-based, but since it's very board game-like, turn based is where it's at. It kept me up with that "one more turn" feeling most of the night. The best way I could describe it overall is Chaos Overlords meets Zafehouse Diaries. And that ain't bad.
Rebuild:GoD still has a ways to go. There's quite a bit of placeholder art (all equippable items and weapons look like crowbars at the moment) and combat was just added in yesterday and is still pretty rudimentary. Still I haven't had a single crash, and the one bug introduced in the last build was fixed the same day.
There are several Let's Plays on Youtube, including one from Oughtofeight but they're all of older builds than the one currently available.
Highly recommended.
I played the first version on the iPad. Fun game and yes the random tough choices are very well done and setup some nice moral soul searching....
Pretty sure I have the first version somewhere. That one was okay but got stale pretty quickly. It was a pretty lite deal in the first place. This one looks to have more to it.
I have it on my iPad as well. I bought it last Christmas sometime and tried playing it but got bored with it (I don't know if that makes it the 'original' version or not). I revisited it a few weeks ago and finally got through one play-through. Seemed kind of easy to beat. I never had a problem with food as I focused on getting farmland and ensuring I had a stockpile before recruiting new folks.
I also have Zafehouse Diaries, but it got stale quickly for me, even after plugging in pics of my kids and my wife (ha). That was kind of charming that you can personalize the game like that, but it was a difficult game and I realized how creepy it was to potentially see a sim version of people I know get killed by zombies, and I haven't gone back to it since.,
I played it a bit on Steam.
Was interesting but I'm more into waiting for this to really get polished enough.