GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: tgb on June 12, 2014, 06:01:49 AM

Title: 7 Cities of Gold At GOG
Post by: tgb on June 12, 2014, 06:01:49 AM
Holy crap!

This came out of nowhere (http://www.gog.com/game/seven_cities_of_gold_ce). Remember the good old days when every EA release was a true event, and not just a bunch of hype and giants like Dan (nee Danni) Bunten walked the Earth?

I played the snot out of this back in the day on my Atari ST.  From the screenshots it appears the graphics have been dressed up a bit - it looks better than I remember, and certainly better than it's contemporary brethren.

I wonder how well the game play holds up.
Title: Re: 7 Cities of Gold At GOG
Post by: Staggerwing on June 12, 2014, 06:13:29 AM
Well, for the price of a Whopper w/ fries and drink you can find out and report back.
Title: Re: 7 Cities of Gold At GOG
Post by: BanzaiCat on June 12, 2014, 07:25:01 AM
Wow. Yet another game I played a lot of on my grandad's Apple IIc. Not this version, but the earlier one. I played this one a little too.

Thanks for the find, I'll have to keep it on my radar.
Title: Re: 7 Cities of Gold At GOG
Post by: Greybriar on June 12, 2014, 07:27:59 AM
This was a pleasant surprise. Seven Cities of Gold is a real classic and its Commemorative Edition is as good as you can get. Thanks for the heads-up, tgb.

Quote from: tgb on June 12, 2014, 06:01:49 AM
....Dan (nee Danni) Bunten....

Actually, Danielle Bunten Berry (http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.net/encyclopedia/entry-detail.aspx?entryID=4524) started out in life as Daniel Paul Bunten. Regardless of gender, Bunten changed video games forever (http://kotaku.com/5885546/a-salute-to-dani-bunten-a-transgender-video-gaming-pioneer).
Title: Re: 7 Cities of Gold At GOG
Post by: bbmike on June 12, 2014, 07:28:23 AM
A 14MB game! How well will that hold up today? Is it still fun to play?
Title: Re: 7 Cities of Gold At GOG
Post by: BanzaiCat on June 12, 2014, 07:31:46 AM
Quote from: bbmike on June 12, 2014, 07:28:23 AM
A 14MB game! How well will that hold up today? Is it still fun to play?

It depends...do you like classic games? Some people can't stand the outdated graphics. This version of 7COG is light-years ahead of the original Apple version I played, graphic- and interface-wise. It's a great game of discovery, resource acquisition, and conquest (if you want, you can trade with the natives, or slaughter them all - the path to riches is usually quicker via bloodshed).

Here's a Let's Play video...

Title: Re: 7 Cities of Gold At GOG
Post by: bbmike on June 12, 2014, 07:43:08 AM
I don't mind the graphics at all and I love classic games. I'm just wondering how much replayability can be in 14 megabytes. I'll find out, though, because I know I'll end up buying it before the day's over.
Title: Re: 7 Cities of Gold At GOG
Post by: Nefaro on June 12, 2014, 08:09:56 AM
Speaking of exploring the new world...  been hoping the development of Expedition: The New World would progress quickly.

http://expeditionworld.net/


Dunno where it's at exactly.

Title: Re: 7 Cities of Gold At GOG
Post by: BanzaiCat on June 12, 2014, 08:17:06 AM
Quote from: bbmike on June 12, 2014, 07:43:08 AM
I don't mind the graphics at all and I love classic games. I'm just wondering how much replayability can be in 14 megabytes. I'll find out, though, because I know I'll end up buying it before the day's over.

There's tons of it, actually. You can play either an 'accurate' Americas map or on a random map, so no two games will be the same if you choose to play thusly.
Title: Re: 7 Cities of Gold At GOG
Post by: RedArgo on June 12, 2014, 09:39:06 AM
I played a ton of that on our Apple IIe, what a great game.  I don't remember ever finding any cities of gold though.
Title: Re: 7 Cities of Gold At GOG
Post by: tgb on June 12, 2014, 09:41:53 AM
Quote from: Greybriar on June 12, 2014, 07:27:59 AM


Actually, Danielle Bunten Berry (http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.net/encyclopedia/entry-detail.aspx?entryID=4524) started out in life as Daniel Paul Bunten. Regardless of gender, Bunten changed video games forever (http://kotaku.com/5885546/a-salute-to-dani-bunten-a-transgender-video-gaming-pioneer).

I knew that.  I just didn't know the proper usage of nee.  I also never knew there was a remake in the 90's.  Until I went back this morning and watched footage of the original, and realized how bad that looks by today's standards.
Title: Re: 7 Cities of Gold At GOG
Post by: airboy on June 12, 2014, 10:08:38 AM
Quote from: tgb on June 12, 2014, 06:01:49 AM
Holy crap!

This came out of nowhere (http://www.gog.com/game/seven_cities_of_gold_ce). Remember the good old days when every EA release was a true event, and not just a bunch of hype and giants like Dan (nee Danni) Bunten walked the Earth?

I played the snot out of this back in the day on my Atari ST.  From the screenshots it appears the graphics have been dressed up a bit - it looks better than I remember, and certainly better than it's contemporary brethren.

I wonder how well the game play holds up.

Curse You!  I have a stack of unplayed games!  I've been working out the rules and my strategy for starting Darklands!
Probably wait until it goes on sale.  I'm glad that a playable version now is out there.
Title: Re: 7 Cities of Gold At GOG
Post by: Nefaro on June 12, 2014, 12:02:38 PM
Quote from: airboy on June 12, 2014, 10:08:38 AM


Curse You!  I have a stack of unplayed games!  I've been working out the rules and my strategy for starting Darklands!
Probably wait until it goes on sale.  I'm glad that a playable version now is out there.

I picked up Darklands from GOG sometime last year.  Played a short stint.  The old font was a bit of a pain in the ass, as was clicking on my individual characters in combat sometimes, but I can see why it was popular back in it's time.  With all the newer flashy stuff I have, and even some other re-releases from GOG, I doubt I'll get back around to it anytime soon.
Title: Re: 7 Cities of Gold At GOG
Post by: Steelgrave on June 12, 2014, 01:58:44 PM
I can't do the old games anymore, no matter how hard I try. Modern graphics have spoiled me. But of alllll the games I've played, 7 Cities of Gold was an absolute favorite. The number of times I found a lost city with immense gold treasures, only to die of thirst or native attack before I could reach my ship......