GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: undercovergeek on June 16, 2014, 02:54:28 PM

Title: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: undercovergeek on June 16, 2014, 02:54:28 PM
Loving GTA IV, and looking forward to downloading the police mod, its got me in the mood for some drive here, do that, go here, shoot them action and i figured Mafia II would be where its at

I loved the first one, first game ive completed in ages

wondering what you thought of II
Title: Re: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: Ian C on June 16, 2014, 03:00:56 PM
It's very well produced. The immersion is second to none. The looks of it, the soundtrack, the storyline. It's fun, plenty to drive, plenty to shoot and kick ass and there are a few parts where you don't dare fail (the scene in the s****r).
The vehicle models are great. Vintage motors with different handling and great 3D modelling. The 1940's city in the snow is absolutely wonderful. It's like walking down a Norman Rockwell winter scene. It's a keeper on my drive and I will play it in years to come.


Title: Re: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: skeptical.platypus on June 16, 2014, 03:13:52 PM
Like GTAIV, some of the later shooting-oriented missions in can drag on a bit too long. It's a cover based system, and after a while there are only so many variations of crates, equipment, low walls, etc.

The immersion and "feel" of a real city going on about it's business around and despite of you is better than gtaiv, in my opinion. If that's one of things you enjoy about gtaiv, I'd recommend Sleeping Dogs.
Title: Re: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 16, 2014, 06:16:28 PM
I really enjoyed the story and I liked the shooting bits.  The driving wasn't as good from a gameplay perspective as the cars felt like they had no mass or inertia but they look good and the city design was excellent and I enjoyed the radio stations through the different eras.
Title: Re: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: JudgeDredd on June 17, 2014, 12:54:33 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on June 16, 2014, 02:54:28 PM
Loving GTA IV, and looking forward to downloading the police mod, its got me in the mood for some drive here, do that, go here, shoot them action and i figured Mafia II would be where its at

I loved the first one, first game ive completed in ages

wondering what you thought of II
It's absolutely superb. 120% well worth every penny of the full price. I've got 228 hours logged on it on Steam. I've completed the game 3 times (or was it 4!?)

There are a couple of dodgy parts - times when I think the devs went to sleep and one of their kids came in and created a mission - but apart from that - it was THE best game I've had...probably period. Well, not exactly - I'd put the original Mafia ahead of it - but it was a very close second.
Title: Re: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: JudgeDredd on June 17, 2014, 12:58:39 PM
Oh - and if you loved the first one, there's a surprise in this game for ya  :)
Title: Re: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: undercovergeek on June 17, 2014, 01:23:40 PM
purchase this weekend at 19.99 on steam

watch for the sale on Monday dropping it to 4.99 - happened to me 3 times now
Title: Re: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: JudgeDredd on June 17, 2014, 01:48:43 PM
UCG - it's worth 5 times that  ;D
Title: Re: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: Gusington on June 17, 2014, 02:25:46 PM
I have a physical copy of the first game bundled up with a paperback version of The Godfather, neither of which are cracked open yet :(
Title: Re: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: JudgeDredd on June 17, 2014, 02:34:40 PM
You need to open that bad boy and get it played. It looks a tad dated nowadays - but the gameplay, immersion and feel are second to none. I played the first one through 3 or 4 times too.

They are two of the best games ever made imo.
Title: Re: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: undercovergeek on June 17, 2014, 02:40:26 PM
i quite like getting to ramp up ageing AAA titles on max for everything - consider me fedora-ed up with my trench coat this weekend

man that reminds me of a mission from the first game - you had to drive a truck full of whiskey out to a farm in the piss pouring rain and then there was a huge shoot out around a barn - remember creeping my ass round that barn with a pistol knowing there was a fat guy somewhere with a sawn off
Title: Re: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: JudgeDredd on June 17, 2014, 02:45:14 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on June 17, 2014, 02:40:26 PM
i quite like getting to ramp up ageing AAA titles on max for everything - consider me fedora-ed up with my trench coat this weekend

man that reminds me of a mission from the first game - you had to drive a truck full of whiskey out to a farm in the piss pouring rain and then there was a huge shoot out around a barn - remember creeping my ass round that barn with a pistol knowing there was a fat guy somewhere with a sawn off
I know - the game was amazing. It had spades and spades of immersion.
Title: Re: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: Ian C on June 17, 2014, 03:31:07 PM
Well hell, Mafia 1 is not available anywhere.   >:(

Edit: nm, I reinstalled Godfather II.
Title: Re: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: JudgeDredd on June 17, 2014, 04:41:37 PM
I think I have the disk kicking about (I also got the game on Steam when I bought Mafia II) - I'll gladly post it if I do have it if you want it. It's a crying shame someone can't get this gem of a game (Mafia - not Mafia II) and I have two!
Title: Re: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on June 17, 2014, 05:33:00 PM
I am not going to look at this thread....last thing I need is another game right now:)
Title: Re: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: Ian C on June 18, 2014, 03:08:11 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 17, 2014, 04:41:37 PM
I think I have the disk kicking about (I also got the game on Steam when I bought Mafia II) - I'll gladly post it if I do have it if you want it. It's a crying shame someone can't get this gem of a game (Mafia - not Mafia II) and I have two!

Thanks Judge that's a very generous offer. I ordered a pre-owned one one on amazon last night before I saw this ...argghhh
Title: Re: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: Gusington on June 18, 2014, 08:01:33 AM
I don't remember the last time I saw JD this amped up on a game besides rugby!
Title: Re: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: undercovergeek on June 18, 2014, 08:05:59 AM
and hes Scottish - that counts for double
Title: Re: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: JudgeDredd on June 18, 2014, 08:33:06 AM
This and Mafia one were the pinnacle of gaming experience for me.

I love a good story in a game, and both these games had good story in spades. Through in immersion and there's nothing to be disappointed about. The second one had a couple of ropey missions - but by and large major fun was had
Title: Re: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on June 18, 2014, 11:44:58 AM
It better be good jd, you just got me to spend $6 on it:)
Title: Re: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: undercovergeek on June 18, 2014, 11:49:30 AM
II or I?
Title: Re: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on June 18, 2014, 01:13:53 PM
Mafia ii
Title: Re: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: undercovergeek on June 18, 2014, 01:53:47 PM
where?
Title: Re: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on June 18, 2014, 03:03:55 PM
Kinguin.net
Title: Re: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on June 18, 2014, 07:24:34 PM
First couple of scenes, pretty impressive....seems like some good atmosphere.  A
Title: Re: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: Ian C on June 19, 2014, 08:30:31 AM
By the way, don't forget the Free Ride mod. It allows you to enter a sandbox city, independent of the main story and do whatever you like. There's a collection of vehicles to drive in any garage and all weapons are unlocked.

http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/mafia2/mod/39235.html



Title: Re: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: undercovergeek on June 22, 2014, 12:28:43 PM
goddam console based autosave mission razzzn frazzzn grrrrrrrrrrr

no quick save?
Title: Re: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: JudgeDredd on June 22, 2014, 02:16:20 PM
oh yeah...forgot about that...no...there's not
Title: Re: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on June 22, 2014, 02:19:29 PM
Just curious...do you guys get any weird graphic glitches at times like minor tearing?  Just put in a new r9 270x card and I see it within this game.  Have not seen it within any other game I play.
Title: Re: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on June 22, 2014, 02:35:36 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 17, 2014, 12:54:33 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on June 16, 2014, 02:54:28 PM
Loving GTA IV, and looking forward to downloading the police mod, its got me in the mood for some drive here, do that, go here, shoot them action and i figured Mafia II would be where its at

I loved the first one, first game ive completed in ages

wondering what you thought of II
It's absolutely superb. 120% well worth every penny of the full price. I've got 228 hours logged on it on Steam. I've completed the game 3 times (or was it 4!?)

There are a couple of dodgy parts - times when I think the devs went to sleep and one of their kids came in and created a mission - but apart from that - it was THE best game I've had...probably period. Well, not exactly - I'd put the original Mafia ahead of it - but it was a very close second.

Damnit, Dredd.

Oh well it's only $8
Title: Re: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: JudgeDredd on June 22, 2014, 02:40:55 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 22, 2014, 02:19:29 PM
Just curious...do you guys get any weird graphic glitches at times like minor tearing?  Just put in a new r9 270x card and I see it within this game.  Have not seen it within any other game I play.
Nope. Have you got Vertical Sync on?
Title: Re: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: JudgeDredd on June 22, 2014, 02:43:47 PM
Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on June 22, 2014, 02:35:36 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 17, 2014, 12:54:33 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on June 16, 2014, 02:54:28 PM
Loving GTA IV, and looking forward to downloading the police mod, its got me in the mood for some drive here, do that, go here, shoot them action and i figured Mafia II would be where its at

I loved the first one, first game ive completed in ages

wondering what you thought of II
It's absolutely superb. 120% well worth every penny of the full price. I've got 228 hours logged on it on Steam. I've completed the game 3 times (or was it 4!?)

There are a couple of dodgy parts - times when I think the devs went to sleep and one of their kids came in and created a mission - but apart from that - it was THE best game I've had...probably period. Well, not exactly - I'd put the original Mafia ahead of it - but it was a very close second.

Damnit, Dredd.

Oh well it's only $8
Sorry - but if you like a game with a story - then these two will flick your switch...I'm sure of it.

I would DEFINITELY recommend everyone playing the original first. For one, there's a link and for two, it was head and shoulders my fav of all time. It's EXTREMELY period...very, very immersive

It looks a bit dated now, but the voice acting and the characters are amazing.
Title: Re: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on June 22, 2014, 02:47:22 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 22, 2014, 02:40:55 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 22, 2014, 02:19:29 PM
Just curious...do you guys get any weird graphic glitches at times like minor tearing?  Just put in a new r9 270x card and I see it within this game.  Have not seen it within any other game I play.
Nope. Have you got Vertical Sync on?

Not sure...is that setting best on or off?
Title: Re: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: JudgeDredd on June 22, 2014, 02:54:18 PM
It's cpu/gpu intensive in so far as it makes sure the graphics don't tear, I think rendering the whole screen.

If you gpu can handle it, then it's definitely better on. I always put it on and if there's a slow down (not something I really experience on my new rig  ;D ) then I'd switch it off
Title: Re: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on June 22, 2014, 02:58:46 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 22, 2014, 02:54:18 PM
It's cpu/gpu intensive in so far as it makes sure the graphics don't tear, I think rendering the whole screen.

If you gpu can handle it, then it's definitely better on. I always put it on and if there's a slow down (not something I really experience on my new rig  ;D ) then I'd switch it off

I'll give it a shot, thanks for the info...liking the game so far and I actually think it based aged very well graphically.  Well worth it, just have to find more time to play. Before sniper elite 3 drops in a few days :)
Title: Re: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: JudgeDredd on June 22, 2014, 03:00:05 PM
Are you playing the first or the second?
Title: Re: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on June 22, 2014, 03:06:21 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 22, 2014, 03:00:05 PM
Are you playing the first or the second?

Second....may look for the 1st at some point
Title: Re: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: undercovergeek on June 22, 2014, 04:27:34 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 22, 2014, 02:19:29 PM
Just curious...do you guys get any weird graphic glitches at times like minor tearing?  Just put in a new r9 270x card and I see it within this game.  Have not seen it within any other game I play.

im all good Grim, looks fine on mine
Title: Re: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on June 22, 2014, 04:34:54 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on June 22, 2014, 04:27:34 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 22, 2014, 02:19:29 PM
Just curious...do you guys get any weird graphic glitches at times like minor tearing?  Just put in a new r9 270x card and I see it within this game.  Have not seen it within any other game I play.

im all good Grim, looks fine on mine

I guess lucky me:)  it's odd that this is the only game doing it to me...maybe I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling after I play around with some graphic settings.  It mostly happens during transition from cut scenes to gameplay.
Title: Re: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on June 22, 2014, 04:40:30 PM
Its a good looking game. So far no graphical glitches.

Any mafia game that includes WW2 missions wins in my book
Title: Re: Mafia II - what do you guys think?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on June 22, 2014, 07:09:06 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 22, 2014, 04:34:54 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on June 22, 2014, 04:27:34 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 22, 2014, 02:19:29 PM
Just curious...do you guys get any weird graphic glitches at times like minor tearing?  Just put in a new r9 270x card and I see it within this game.  Have not seen it within any other game I play.

im all good Grim, looks fine on mine

I guess lucky me:)  it's odd that this is the only game doing it to me...maybe I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling after I play around with some graphic settings.  It mostly happens during transition from cut scenes to gameplay.

Think I might have fixed it...I was running a "beta" version of AMD drivers with my new card...went back to the last official release and so far no glitches.....fingers crossed...