GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: undercovergeek on June 19, 2014, 06:45:57 AM

Title: Next EU IV mini expansion - Res Publica
Post by: undercovergeek on June 19, 2014, 06:45:57 AM
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?783923-Paradox-Unveils-New-Europa-Universalis-IV-Mini-Expansion-to-the-Public

i think its a wonderful thing there is so much content to choose from

trouble is im happy tooling along in vanilla theres that much to do
Title: Re: Next EU IV mini expansion - Res Publica
Post by: steve58 on July 16, 2014, 09:56:31 AM
...is out.  $5 at Steam (http://store.steampowered.com/app/279623/) and Gamersgate (http://www.gamersgate.com/DLC-EU4RP/europa-universalis-iv-res-publica).  ...and three more $2 DLCs to go with it.
Title: Re: Next EU IV mini expansion - Res Publica
Post by: Greybriar on July 16, 2014, 11:07:41 AM
I think I'll wait until I can get the complete EU4 DLC collection for less than $10.
Title: Re: Next EU IV mini expansion - Res Publica
Post by: Queeg on July 16, 2014, 11:31:29 AM
I'm expansioned out with EU4 - and with Paradox games in general.  They seem to start with a decent idea and then wander off in whatever direction suits their fancy at the moment.  The end result too often looks like a house built without the aid of an architect.

And EU4 has been especially bad.  Several of the "patches" have introduced fundamental gameplay changes to accommodate features in the so-called "optional" expansions.  I always thought one of the cardinal rules was that DLCs should not break the base game - let me choose whether to buy a DLC; don't break the core game with a "patch" to make me have to buy the DLC.  That's a major bad in my book.

I may give EU4 another try if they ever figure out what they want the game to be about and quit the one-step aimlessly in the general direction of forward, two steps back routine.
Title: Re: Next EU IV mini expansion - Res Publica
Post by: tgb on July 16, 2014, 12:14:03 PM
You could always go into Steam and turn off automatic updating for EU IV.
Title: Re: Next EU IV mini expansion - Res Publica
Post by: Nefaro on July 16, 2014, 12:16:44 PM
Quote from: tgb on July 16, 2014, 12:14:03 PM
You could always go into Steam and turn off automatic updating for EU IV.

But what if it's too late?  :buck2:
Title: Re: Next EU IV mini expansion - Res Publica
Post by: Queeg on July 16, 2014, 12:22:56 PM
Quote from: tgb on July 16, 2014, 12:14:03 PM
You could always go into Steam and turn off automatic updating for EU IV.

You're right, I can roll back to the original game, without any of the patches. But if all I want are the AI improvements and other fixes from the patches, but without all the gameplay changes they added to accommodate the DLCs, then I'm SOL.  A "patch" should fix things; fundamental changes should be reserved for expansions.