GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: sandman2575 on June 19, 2014, 01:58:41 PM

Title: "The Few" on Steam
Post by: sandman2575 on June 19, 2014, 01:58:41 PM
http://store.steampowered.com/app/300320/?snr=1_200_200_252_104_8 (http://store.steampowered.com/app/300320/?snr=1_200_200_252_104_8)

Color me intrigued.  Anyone try this out yet?
Title: Re: "The Few" on Steam
Post by: Barthheart on June 19, 2014, 02:02:26 PM
I bought it a while ago, last year sometime, when it was still beta.
It's a fun game, but damn hard to win.
I should check out the updates from the last time I played....
Title: Re: "The Few" on Steam
Post by: Jarhead0331 on June 19, 2014, 02:03:05 PM
Wish they would add a German campaign.
Title: Re: "The Few" on Steam
Post by: sandman2575 on June 19, 2014, 02:06:04 PM
Feedback on Steam (always taken with a grain of salt) is pretty positive, and seems hard to pass up at $8.

Looks like it has a bit of a "Unity of Command" vibe, which is a good thing.  UoC never really clicked for me, but I did appreciate its unique presentation.
Title: Re: "The Few" on Steam
Post by: Nefaro on June 19, 2014, 08:01:57 PM
It was too simplistic for my preferences.  More like a "casual" game, IMO.
Title: Re: "The Few" on Steam
Post by: TacticalWargames on June 20, 2014, 06:16:23 AM
Annoyingly difficult. Did have potential though.
Title: Re: "The Few" on Steam
Post by: gabeeg on June 20, 2014, 10:10:55 PM
I have owned it for awhile and played it a few times, the continuing updates have made it better and given it more "legs".  It is a beer and pretzels game and a fun little time waster...if that strikes your fancy. 
Title: Re: "The Few" on Steam
Post by: Gusington on June 21, 2014, 09:41:25 AM
Is it similar to Ace Patrol in any way?
Title: .
Post by: eyebiter on June 21, 2014, 10:05:13 AM
.

Title: Re: "The Few" on Steam
Post by: Nefaro on June 21, 2014, 01:12:59 PM
Quote from: Gusington on June 21, 2014, 09:41:25 AM
Is it similar to Ace Patrol in any way?

Not really.  No.
Title: Re: "The Few" on Steam
Post by: Staggerwing on June 21, 2014, 01:17:27 PM
FWIR, It's more like a lite version of Grigsby's 'Battle of Britain' with cartoonish graphics and a production layer.

Title: Re: "The Few" on Steam
Post by: Nefaro on June 21, 2014, 01:21:47 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on June 21, 2014, 01:17:27 PM
FWIR, It's more like a lite version of Grigsby's 'Battle of Britain' with cartoonish graphics and a production layer.

I wonder if that revised compilation will go on a weekly sale at Matrix anytime soon?

I had the first one years ago and never quite got into it at the time, but I'd pick the new one up at a decent price nowadays and give it a real go.
Title: Re: "The Few" on Steam
Post by: Greybriar on June 21, 2014, 01:22:10 PM
James Allen's review ought to answer some questions about the game:

Title: Re: "The Few" on Steam
Post by: Greybriar on June 21, 2014, 01:39:52 PM
For those of us who prefer not to use Steam, I just noticed that a DRM-Free version of The Few is available from GamersGate (http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-FEW/the-few) for $7.99--the same price Steam (http://store.steampowered.com/app/300320/?snr=1_200_200_252_104_8) is selling it for.
Title: Re: "The Few" on Steam
Post by: Gusington on June 21, 2014, 02:00:21 PM
Thanks for both Greybriar.
Title: Re: "The Few" on Steam
Post by: DennisS on June 21, 2014, 06:05:30 PM
This game very much reminds me of the old title Achtung: Spitfire, but with a better strategic layer.

I looked at quite a few videos online, and it does appear to be difficult, unless you micro-manage your fighters. I just purchased it here a few minutes ago..I'll document my impressions here in a bit.
Title: Re: "The Few" on Steam
Post by: jomni on June 21, 2014, 07:24:19 PM
I also bought it.  It's not so bad actually.  But it does get repetitive.

Actually the concerns James raised in his review can be addressed by real world tactics.

1) Not being able to pick a new target automatically is actually good against bombers.  Locking on at a target and chasing it will expose your pilot to the gunners for a very long time.  Not locking will make the pilots perform the classic "boom-and-zoom" tactics.  Downside is a lot micro management.

2) Large flights can be handled in the strategic map.  One must not expect a single 8-plane formation to take them out in one go.  It must be done by assembling several squadrons in the area.  Then let them attack the enemy group one at a time.  Also, the first battle is about shooting down the fighter escort, ideally with Spitfires.  Once they're gone, you can then send in the Hurricanes against the bombers.

Title: Re: "The Few" on Steam
Post by: DennisS on June 21, 2014, 09:14:25 PM
Quote from: jomni on June 21, 2014, 07:24:19 PM
I also bought it.  It's not so bad actually.  But it does get repetitive.

Actually the concerns James raised in his review can be addressed by real world tactics.

1) Not being able to pick a new target automatically is actually good against bombers.  Locking on at a target and chasing it will expose your pilot to the gunners for a very long time.  Not locking will make the pilots perform the classic "boom-and-zoom" tactics.  Downside is a lot micro management.

2) Large flights can be handled in the strategic map.  One must not expect a single 8-plane formation to take them out in one go.  It must be done by assembling several squadrons in the area.  Then let them attack the enemy group one at a time.  Also, the first battle is about shooting down the fighter escort, ideally with Spitfires.  Once they're gone, you can then send in the Hurricanes against the bombers.

This is what I do...and better still, this was the tactics of the day. I like a game that recognizes and rewards good tactics.

Unfortunately for me, I can't recommend this game. There is a bug that pretty much is a game breaker for me. After day four, the Germans simply stopped attacking. I fast forwarded three days, and had ZERO attacks against England. I have quite the fortress now, with wall to wall radar and AA, with multiple fighter squadrons, fit and rested, and .... nothing. I'm not a happy camper. I looked on the steam forums, and apparently, this is a bug that many have seen.
Title: Re: "The Few" on Steam
Post by: jomni on June 21, 2014, 09:45:12 PM
Let's see if that happens to me.  I am now past day 4. 

Here's a video on how I defeated a large raid.
Title: Re: "The Few" on Steam
Post by: Greybriar on June 22, 2014, 02:15:13 AM
The Few is on the GOG.com Wishlist (http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/the_few).

I voted for it.  :)
Title: Re: "The Few" on Steam
Post by: Nefaro on June 22, 2014, 02:55:15 AM
Quote from: DennisS on June 21, 2014, 06:05:30 PM
This game very much reminds me of the old title Achtung: Spitfire, but with a better strategic layer.


I disagree.   Achtung Spitfire, and the other similar Big Time games, were focused on the turn-based tactics.  The combat in this one is pretty much a casual game.  I'd say "arcade" but it's not twitch enough for that.  I mean... all you do is drag a line towards enemy planes with no other consideration.  This game's focus is management of the air defenses.  There isn't a lot of depth there, either, but that's where the real decisions are.

While The Few didn't hold my attention, there may be a few people who would want such a casual game.  I felt like it was a rather simplistic tablet-style casual game without much historical connection to the Battle of Britain other than the general theme.
Title: Re: "The Few" on Steam
Post by: jomni on June 22, 2014, 03:07:39 AM
Wow! I just managed to change formations in the tactical battle.

Default is the finger tip formation.  I then drag the left most plane to lock on the right most plane.  That will change them to Echelon.  With this, all 4 planes are now able to shoot at the bombers during a turning bounce.
Title: Re: "The Few" on Steam
Post by: DennisS on June 22, 2014, 09:07:24 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on June 22, 2014, 02:55:15 AM
Quote from: DennisS on June 21, 2014, 06:05:30 PM
This game very much reminds me of the old title Achtung: Spitfire, but with a better strategic layer.


I disagree.   Achtung Spitfire, and the other similar Big Time games, were focused on the turn-based tactics.  The combat in this one is pretty much a casual game.  I'd say "arcade" but it's not twitch enough for that.  I mean... all you do is drag a line towards enemy planes with no other consideration.  This game's focus is management of the air defenses.  There isn't a lot of depth there, either, but that's where the real decisions are.

While The Few didn't hold my attention, there may be a few people who would want such a casual game.  I felt like it was a rather simplistic tablet-style casual game without much historical connection to the Battle of Britain other than the general theme.

I will, in turn, disagree with you. Achtung Spitfire was turn based, and essentially, I used the pause mode to segment the turns for this one. Play, pause, give orders, play, etc. I am just deciding the length of the turns, before I pause and re-issue orders. Essentially, it is a turn based game where I set the length of the turns.

As far as dragging lines towards the enemy, you're just not doing it right. You CAN drag a line directly into the teeth of the Heinkel front-end guns, but why would you? Instead, consider dragging your formation off to the side, and carefully position them for a side or rear attack. I have defeated a flight of four German bombers with little or no damage to three of the four attacking Hurricanes.

IF one of your fighters starts getting shot up, simply rotate it our of the lead position, and either send it home, or re-position it.

This isn't a terribly complex game, but for what it does, I think it is pretty good. A little bit better than Sid Meier's Ace Patrol..but that game is pretty good, too!
Title: Re: "The Few" on Steam
Post by: Boggit on June 22, 2014, 12:44:24 PM
I bought it when it first came out. it's quite fun, but nowhere near the same level of detail as Achtung Spitfire! It's a good little casual game. :)
Title: Re: "The Few" on Steam
Post by: Nefaro on June 22, 2014, 05:13:01 PM
Quote from: DennisS on June 22, 2014, 09:07:24 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on June 22, 2014, 02:55:15 AM
Quote from: DennisS on June 21, 2014, 06:05:30 PM
This game very much reminds me of the old title Achtung: Spitfire, but with a better strategic layer.


I disagree.   Achtung Spitfire, and the other similar Big Time games, were focused on the turn-based tactics.  The combat in this one is pretty much a casual game.  I'd say "arcade" but it's not twitch enough for that.  I mean... all you do is drag a line towards enemy planes with no other consideration.  This game's focus is management of the air defenses.  There isn't a lot of depth there, either, but that's where the real decisions are.

While The Few didn't hold my attention, there may be a few people who would want such a casual game.  I felt like it was a rather simplistic tablet-style casual game without much historical connection to the Battle of Britain other than the general theme.

I will, in turn, disagree with you. Achtung Spitfire was turn based, and essentially, I used the pause mode to segment the turns for this one. Play, pause, give orders, play, etc. I am just deciding the length of the turns, before I pause and re-issue orders. Essentially, it is a turn based game where I set the length of the turns.

As far as dragging lines towards the enemy, you're just not doing it right. You CAN drag a line directly into the teeth of the Heinkel front-end guns, but why would you? Instead, consider dragging your formation off to the side, and carefully position them for a side or rear attack. I have defeated a flight of four German bombers with little or no damage to three of the four attacking Hurricanes.

IF one of your fighters starts getting shot up, simply rotate it our of the lead position, and either send it home, or re-position it.

This isn't a terribly complex game, but for what it does, I think it is pretty good. A little bit better than Sid Meier's Ace Patrol..but that game is pretty good, too!

Meh.  The air combat strategy part just isn't good.  With no altitude & energy management, for example, it's purely arcade IMO.