GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => General Discussion => Topic started by: JudgeDredd on June 20, 2014, 12:18:29 PM

Title: I had a bad idea
Post by: JudgeDredd on June 20, 2014, 12:18:29 PM
So Andrew (at my work) came back to the IT office from the shop at the beginning of June saying "There's loads of cheap England bunting and stuff - we should decorate the office". To which Neil replied "There's a Jock in the office" - (me) - "...it's probably against his human rights or something"

So I said "Don't be daft. Your team is in the World Cup...you should be able to support them" (of course all this was banter)

Anyway - Andrew then asked if I could be decorated to which I replied NO. Then Neil said "Not even for charity?"...which I thought about and said "OK...for £100 I'll let you paint my face in the England flag (St George's Cross) for the opening day of the World Cup and I'll go to the shop like it"

Within 2 hours they had £120! So Neil decided we should have a scale...£150, £200, £250 - and I stopped them there.

So this was the plan...
For £100 I would paint my face for the first day of the World Cup in St George's Cross
For £150 I would wear an England "cape" whilst cycling to and from work
For £200 I would do both the above for the duration of England being in the World Cup
For £250 I would do the above AND go to England's final game against Costa Rica in the pub and actively cheer England on - something I will own up to NEVER having done before.

Well, the people at work actually raised £276 for St Helena's Hospice charity - which is a great effort by them all as a lot of them are on minimum wage. So superb effort from them.

This is the result... (apologies for the quality)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1160.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq499%2Fwmar1967%2FMisc%2F20140612_094155_zpsbqqyz3o2.jpg&hash=0298d757879f82399134c22585ed7a4dc167e14f)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1160.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq499%2Fwmar1967%2FJun13_zpse54911da.jpg&hash=96181406b2a04288d126cb9145380494f71681df)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1160.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq499%2Fwmar1967%2F2014-06-12093205_zpsee195437.jpg&hash=9b9de4e4a5b0f178c462e3f2e0d9fe12f916e10e)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1160.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq499%2Fwmar1967%2F20140612_075409_zps9f7c5019.jpg&hash=b9aeba9492289f7744cf6e96962d7c39f6339faa)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1160.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq499%2Fwmar1967%2FFamily%2F20140620_171342_zpsjndqzez2.jpg&hash=0e128f1caa4cbd50c2d1ec92ee93f56e8c30bda6)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1160.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq499%2Fwmar1967%2FFamily%2F20140620_171505_zpsm5xazudp.jpg&hash=4222744563611771799b64b112afa0aa554386c4)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1160.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq499%2Fwmar1967%2FFamily%2F20140620_171225_zpsoflk5wqu.jpg&hash=0154256582a2bd187feb617e559fe639a8eaf527)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1160.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq499%2Fwmar1967%2FFamily%2F20140620_171213_zpshp19fqic.jpg&hash=e06cf64306c6ea62a0c38567bc3a19532da86fda)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1160.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq499%2Fwmar1967%2FFamily%2F20140620_171329_zpsyuo33z0w.jpg&hash=d103dca572279e68ca019a52cee353b8452ceddb)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1160.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq499%2Fwmar1967%2FFamily%2F20140620_171411_zpszg8uonxj.jpg&hash=e940651a10e3c39250617c9913e430811d60d88a)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1160.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq499%2Fwmar1967%2FFamily%2F20140620_171308_zpsx368v7oz.jpg&hash=a90fcce24c6617df6bb9692a67f22a1c4b7d31ac)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1160.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq499%2Fwmar1967%2F20140620_171241_zps88fbeca5.jpg&hash=dd127f0f7cd52a151d259ed6e0f3d5dfb7711f7a)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1160.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq499%2Fwmar1967%2FFamily%2F10367165_588555287909279_8485520810450133662_n_zpsee5e1557.jpg&hash=78f91b72c8668d3677ed59cd6e4bfb9da4c02fd4)

This was done light hearted. It wasn't meant to be derogatory to England or St Georges Cross...it's just not something, as a Scot, I would choose to do.

So I've been cycling into work with an England flag waving behind me like I'm Captain England, having my face painted at work for the whole day and cycling home with my face painted AND the cape flowing behind.
Title: Re: I had a bad idea
Post by: bayonetbrant on June 20, 2014, 12:24:54 PM
On the plus side, that £200 pledge level is going to get you off easy at this rate!

:)
Title: Re: I had a bad idea
Post by: undercovergeek on June 20, 2014, 12:25:05 PM
if i had the time i would drive down there and watch the Costa Rica game with you!!

awesome condiment display too!!
Title: Re: I had a bad idea
Post by: JudgeDredd on June 20, 2014, 12:27:53 PM
And I would even buy you a beer UCG...and brown sauce...it has to be!

Yes - it does look like I might only have to do this until Tuesday...but it's not over until the fat lady sings...so I'm not counting my chickens!
Title: Re: I had a bad idea
Post by: TheCommandTent on June 20, 2014, 12:29:47 PM
Awesome JD, way to be a good sport for a great cause.
Title: Re: I had a bad idea
Post by: Martok on June 20, 2014, 12:44:57 PM
Outstanding, JD! 
Title: Re: I had a bad idea
Post by: JudgeDredd on June 20, 2014, 12:50:05 PM
Thanks all - but plaudits really go to the people that donated.

They are continuously asked for money for charity. My work is always holding charity events and they always give...so they are a special bunch.  O0
Title: Re: I had a bad idea
Post by: bayonetbrant on June 20, 2014, 01:05:38 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 20, 2014, 12:27:53 PMbut it's not over until the fat lady sings...

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gifs.net%2FAnimation11%2FJobs_and_People%2FMusicians_and_Singers%2FFat_lady_sings.gif&hash=4009d0be1e093fc5d82c62d338a222bf735c40e7)
Title: Re: I had a bad idea
Post by: Gusington on June 20, 2014, 01:08:47 PM
Is your work hiring short jews? I'll make myself available.
Title: Re: I had a bad idea
Post by: JudgeDredd on June 20, 2014, 01:10:54 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 20, 2014, 01:05:38 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 20, 2014, 12:27:53 PMbut it's not over until the fat lady sings...

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gifs.net%2FAnimation11%2FJobs_and_People%2FMusicians_and_Singers%2FFat_lady_sings.gif&hash=4009d0be1e093fc5d82c62d338a222bf735c40e7)
lol - she has indeed. Tuesday is the last day thank the gods!
Title: Re: I had a bad idea
Post by: Ubercat on June 20, 2014, 01:31:05 PM
Reminds me of the pizzeria I worked in for the first half of the 90's. They'd raise money to get employees (and owners) to do stupid things. The money would go to the person, though.

One of my bosses ate a 2 inch long, dead, dried out dragonfly that had been sitting in the windowsill, baking for at least a couple of weeks. He made about $50. Another boss failed to finish eating 8 oz of raw pizza dough and threw up. A girl earned around $40 for licking Ricotta cheese off the floor at the end of a busy day and before the mopping had been done. I could have made about $80 if I'd succeeded in holding my head under in a big bin of pizza sauce for an entire minute. I failed. (I had a plastic bag on.) Had they raised $200, I would have climbed into a barrel of cold, used fryer grease. They only made it to about $120 so I was off the hook for that one.

What can I say? The place was owned by guys a year or two out of college and the work force was almost all college kids and college aged kids.
Title: Re: I had a bad idea
Post by: JudgeDredd on June 20, 2014, 01:48:53 PM
^ bloody hell...that's ALL just wrong!  :idiot2:
Title: Re: I had a bad idea
Post by: Centurion40 on June 20, 2014, 02:31:16 PM
Quote from: Martok on June 20, 2014, 12:44:57 PM
Outstanding, JD!

Ditto!  :)
Title: Re: I had a bad idea
Post by: bbmike on June 20, 2014, 02:36:15 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 20, 2014, 12:18:29 PM
... To which Neil replied "There's a Jock in the office" - (me) - "...it's probably against his human rights or something"...

Being from the other side of the pond, I had to look that one up. Here that would have meant you went to the gym every day, played all sorts of sports and generally looked and talked like Arnold Schwarzenegger.  :)

As for the pizzeria that Ubercat refers to, we've probably all eaten there or a place just like it.  :buck2:
Title: Re: I had a bad idea
Post by: bayonetbrant on June 20, 2014, 03:04:17 PM
Quote from: bbmike on June 20, 2014, 02:36:15 PMAs for the pizzeria that Ubercat refers to, we've probably all eaten there or a place just like it.  :buck2:

or got laid in one









I may have said too much...
^-^
Title: Re: I had a bad idea
Post by: bob48 on June 20, 2014, 05:24:30 PM
Bloody well done JD - you're a star, mate!
Title: Re: I had a bad idea
Post by: steve58 on June 20, 2014, 06:28:57 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 20, 2014, 12:18:29 PM
So Andrew (at my work) came back to the IT office from the shop at the beginning of June saying "There's loads of cheap England bunting and stuff - we should decorate the office". To which Neil replied "There's a Jock in the office" - (me) - "...it's probably against his human rights or something.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1160.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq499%2Fwmar1967%2FFamily%2F10367165_588555287909279_8485520810450133662_n_zpsee5e1557.jpg&hash=78f91b72c8668d3677ed59cd6e4bfb9da4c02fd4)

This was done light hearted. It wasn't meant to be derogatory to England or St Georges Cross...it's just not something, as a Scot, I would choose to do.

So I've been cycling into work with an England flag waving behind me like I'm Captain England, having my face painted at work for the whole day and cycling home with my face painted AND the cape flowing behind.


Very cool of you JD. I think if you'd found the right street corner in that pose, you might have raked in an extra £ or two  :))
Title: Re: I had a bad idea
Post by: Toonces on June 21, 2014, 12:43:34 AM
That is totally cool JD!   ;D
Title: Re: I had a bad idea
Post by: MikeGER on June 21, 2014, 03:36:11 AM
...do we get to see the pictures from the pub too  (match is Td 24.6 )  ;)

that will be the hardest part, now were England got kicked out and the match against CR is just for honor of teamspirit

well, lots of people make a fool out of them for 365 days a year, and don't even aware of it,
so a few days showing some humor for a such a good cause doesn't hurt  8)
(and most onlookers don't know you are Scottish when you race your bike, so they just see a very dedicated football fan with British Humor  ... not uncommon in these times)

Title: Re: I had a bad idea
Post by: JudgeDredd on June 21, 2014, 04:49:20 PM
I expect there may be pictures about MikeGER

Thanks all - but apart from feeling a bit daft, it was no biggie. Lots of people do proper challenges for charity.  :)
Title: Re: I had a bad idea
Post by: JudgeDredd on June 23, 2014, 03:36:50 PM
Well, as England played so poorly and the other teams, including Costa Rica the underdogs of the group, I will be able to live normally again after tomorrow!  O0

I am so pleased - the face paint was very greasy and now England are out, I looked like some hard core, football lunatic flying the flag today!  :D

Anyway - there's always 2018 England. At least you lot get there. Scotland haven't been in a major competition since 1998!
Title: Re: I had a bad idea
Post by: MikeGER on July 04, 2014, 02:34:31 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 21, 2014, 04:49:20 PM
I expect there may be pictures about MikeGER

... selfie, back from the "Autokorso"  :smitten:
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi57.tinypic.com%2F330fh1y.jpg&hash=3580d87c07502f208881f373057f038290b57fa0)

with decorated old jeep
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi58.tinypic.com%2F2ivk0le.jpg&hash=f13a2b998ec06ed82abd1cc2c7ac55a893b31549)

after victory over France  :D
(...i add more stuff to car from victory to victory)
Title: Re: I had a bad idea
Post by: Martok on July 04, 2014, 03:29:43 PM
^  Ha, nice! 




Quote from: MikeGER on July 04, 2014, 02:34:31 PM
after victory over France  :D
<Insert obligatory joke about going through Belgium first here>  :P 

Title: Re: I had a bad idea
Post by: JudgeDredd on July 04, 2014, 04:32:50 PM
I predict a Germany Holland final with Holland winning (I hope - sorry MikeGER)
Title: Re: I had a bad idea
Post by: Staggerwing on July 04, 2014, 05:09:32 PM
 (https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.crossed-flag-pins.com%2Fanimated-flag-gif%2Fgifs%2FNetherlands_240-animated-flag-gifs.gif&hash=a729dfb91720417eeb1fedc56e36a6579db7b053)

;)