It all start when I was given a VIC 20 for my Christmas present when i was 13 and it has never stopped..... I can't help but buy games, especially in the damn sales. I have over 160 games on steam alone which i have played about half, on Gamersgate i have probably played less than a 5th of the games i own, Gog over half and even Matrixgames I have not played all I own.
I need help!!!
Quote from: FlickJax on June 25, 2014, 03:15:57 AM
It all start when I was given a VIC 20 for my Christmas present when i was 13 and it has never stopped..... I can't help but buy games, especially in the damn sales. I have over 160 games on steam alone which i have played about half, on Gamersgate i have probably played less than a 5th of the games i own, Gog over half and even Matrixgames I have not played all I own.
I need help!!!
The Vic 20 was my first starting point in computers as well:). Who knew where it would lead....
Me too! I spent many hours on it. 3k of RAM! I remember typing in what I thought at the time were long programs to run very simple games.
I started gaming with a Commodore 64 and tape drive (I hated that thing!). As I recall I had an unplayed library of games even then.
game loading times on 64 were immense, and then you would get a syntax error at the end arrrggghh
I also started on Commodore machnes. I miss the smell of my local game store back then.
JH is our very own game purchase addiction specialist. Talk to him for 5 minutes or view his Steam profile and you will feel better.
BBC B 32k for me when I was 12. It was my dads:) I then saved my paper round money a couple of years later and bought an Amstrad 464CPC with green screen monitor:) Haven't been without a computer of some sort since.
I started on an IBM clone, an 8088, in 1989. I played mostly Shareware titles until I splurged and bought SSI's Pool of Radiance (http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/pool-of-radiance). It was then that I was hooked and the dam burst--I began buying games from SSG, MicroProse, and many other companies that were in their heyday back then and a large number of others that have since come into being.
Now it seems I mostly buy PC games (I have 262 titles in my GOG account alone!) but I don't have the time or inclination to play all of them.
262!! Mein gott.
I lost my virginity with the Mattel Intellivision in the early 80's--- gaming virginity that is. Then the Commodore 128 and the Amiga. And I'm still gonna get around to finishing those games one day. I guess if we lived in North Korea, there would be no new games until EVERYONE finished old one first. After Hurricane Charlie in 2004, we had no power for 2 weeks. I just sat in front of my blank computer screen and pretended like I was playing Combat Mission Total War in the Forgotten Realms except in this game I would win... sometimes. I don't consider it an addiction. I consider it a denial of an addiction. :uglystupid2:
It's like you're in my head...are you?
Quote from: Shelldrake on June 25, 2014, 05:46:22 AM
I started gaming with a Commodore 64 ...
+1
...and a diskdrive 1541
that was the time were a 'pirate' O:-) needed to show up physically at a friend's place who run some spooky nibble copy program 45 minutes a disk or so with lots of diskswaps IIRC
also the 1541 got very hot so that disks formated then were not readable, so that guy (today we would call him a C64-super-nerd) operated it without its housing...
also i remember to have paid 114 DM for 10 empty floppy disks from 'Scotch' or so ...and found that a bargain ::)
is there a C64 emulator and some
down the memory lane games for Android ?
Quote from: Shelldrake on June 25, 2014, 05:46:22 AM
I started gaming with a Commodore 64 and tape drive (I hated that thing!). As I recall I had an unplayed library of games even then.
Nato Commander for the 64 was awesome.
Kampfgruppe ! by SSI ...my first real computer enhanced wargame. and i never left the hobby since 8)
Atari ST.
F-117 Stealth Fighter, North & South, Tank Platoon.
Then it was an Amiga and Universal Military Simulator II...
And the rest, as they say, is misery.
Yes Gus, I am in your head. But are you in mine as well??? :idiot2:
No way, I am barely in my own. The C 64 and Amiga made me fear Germans...getting to know ur own MikeGER completed the process.
SSI was the best. So many of their games were good. Prior to steam is when gaming cost me real money. I got lots of games at full retail back then. Probably $1k in the 80s and 90s.
Quote from: MikeGER on June 25, 2014, 10:50:19 AM
Kampfgruppe ! by SSI ...my first real computer enhanced wargame. and i never left the hobby since 8)
+1... sooooo many hours lost to Kampfgruppe..... and Soldiers at War!.
I still have my C64. 8)
I have a Spectrum 48K in my loft along with the original printer and 5 rolls of paper :)
Quote from: Gusington on June 25, 2014, 10:17:26 AM
262!! Mein gott.
I already own the retail boxed versions of the majority of the games I purchased from GOG.com but I bought the digital versions for a couple of reasons. First, the oldest PC games in my collection are DOS and on 5.25" floppies. I no longer have a working DOS computer nor a working PC with a 5.25" drive. Additionally, I have the printed paper manuals for those old games as well as the early Windows games. Most of the remainder of my purchases from GOG.com are games that I missed playing back in the day and I wanted to try out. The few remaining are new games like
Age of Wonders III that are not available (in English!) in physical format.
Regardless of the reason for purchasing them, I rarely play any of the games I've purchased from GOG.com, GamersGate, Humble Store, or Steam.
Being happily retired I say you've earned the right to do or not do anything you please.
I came across Wargamer and Blitz websites due to Soldiers at War and Close Combat 2.
Quote from: Barthheart on June 25, 2014, 07:58:07 PM
Quote from: MikeGER on June 25, 2014, 10:50:19 AM
Kampfgruppe ! by SSI ...my first real computer enhanced wargame. and i never left the hobby since 8)
+1... sooooo many hours lost to Kampfgruppe..... and Soldiers at War!.
I still have my C64. 8)
Quote from: Gusington on June 25, 2014, 02:00:02 PM
No way, I am barely in my own. The C 64 and Amiga made me fear Germans...getting to know ur own MikeGER completed the process.
Why did they make you fear Germans (the C64 and Amiga, not Mike :)?
Somewhere around here I still have my Commodore 64, 1541 drive and assorted 5.25" floppies for it.
Quote from: bbmike on June 26, 2014, 07:18:23 PM
Somewhere around here I still have my Commodore 64, 1541 drive and assorted 5.25" floppies for it.
Time to bring it out and give it some play time:)
I played my games way more back on those simpler machines:)
When I first started playing games WWII was not such ancient history and I got to know the German side of things really well with the C64 and Amiga. WWI too.