GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Mr. Bigglesworth on June 26, 2014, 10:50:28 AM

Title: Strategic Simulations, Inc. hommage
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on June 26, 2014, 10:50:28 AM
They had an amazing list of games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Strategic_Simulations,_Inc._games (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Strategic_Simulations,_Inc._games)

Some of my favorites:

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.oldgames.sk%2Fimages%2Foldgames%2Frpg%2FADD.Collectors%2Finst_000.png&hash=6ce624d277f2a612c71a4d2773b1b209d02d4977)

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hitrepeat.com%2Fimagehost%2F2008919235240588.jpg&hash=8a3ba6e9d4c4361b973601b7305da3783b1deaaf)

Title: Re: Strategic Simulations, Inc. hommage
Post by: Herman Hum on June 26, 2014, 11:17:27 AM
North Atlantic '86 ate up many nights for me.
Title: Re: Strategic Simulations, Inc. hommage
Post by: Shelldrake on June 26, 2014, 11:18:52 AM
That list is a trip down gaming memory lane! I spent countless hours playing the Panzer General, Steel Panthers, and Great Naval Battles series of games, to name only a few. It would sure be nice if GOG could get publishing rights to more of the SSI stable. Thanks for the memories SSI.
Title: Re: Strategic Simulations, Inc. hommage
Post by: RyanE on June 26, 2014, 12:03:49 PM
Is someone still keeping the flame burning for Steel Panthers.  I used to follw the Matrix version, but not much happening there.
Title: Re: Strategic Simulations, Inc. hommage
Post by: steve58 on June 26, 2014, 12:34:40 PM
Nice list!  I played many of those titles:  Steel Panthers I/II/III, Silent Hunter I/II, Carrier Strike (actually just fired this up recently!), Clash of Steel, GG Pacific War, Great Naval Battles (I-V), Imperialism I/II, Panzer General.  Looks like I missed a lot though!
Title: Re: Strategic Simulations, Inc. hommage
Post by: bobarossa on June 26, 2014, 02:45:33 PM
The list is incomplete!  The link at the bottom goes to Moby Games which lists 240 titles from SSI.  I count 36 that I or my brother owned.  Reforger 88, the first computer game I ever played.  USAAF, one of my favorites of all time!  Many of those early games (for my Atari) were $49.99 each. 
Title: Re: Strategic Simulations, Inc. hommage
Post by: Sir Slash on June 26, 2014, 02:57:47 PM
Back in the day, I would've bought a rock if it had the SSI logo on it. Battles of Napoleon, Kampgruppe, the Gold Box series and all the "Whatever" Generals. I miss them :-\
Title: Re: Strategic Simulations, Inc. hommage
Post by: vyshka on June 26, 2014, 03:16:04 PM
Quote from: RyanE on June 26, 2014, 12:03:49 PM
Is someone still keeping the flame burning for Steel Panthers.  I used to follw the Matrix version, but not much happening there.

A revisit to the series is on the list of things Grigsby plans to do in the next 10-20 years as long as health allows. It was in a list of his plans from a presentation at last year's sliterine/matrix gathering I believe. It is somewhere behind the rest of the War in the * series.

Sadly a large portion of the SSI catalog from the 80s are games that I just dreamed of playing as a kid, but never got the opportunity. I remember being on family vacation in San Diego and seeing Mech Brigade in a computer store, and Shaw's Fighter Combat, and Hughes' Fleet Tactics in a book store and wanting them all so badly.
Title: Re: Strategic Simulations, Inc. hommage
Post by: magnus on June 26, 2014, 03:42:03 PM
 Age of Rifles, need I say more?
Title: Re: Strategic Simulations, Inc. hommage
Post by: bbmike on June 26, 2014, 03:51:05 PM
Quote from: magnus on June 26, 2014, 03:42:03 PM
Age of Rifles, need I say more?

Yes, in fact you need to say Soldiers at War!
Title: Re: Strategic Simulations, Inc. hommage
Post by: DennisS on June 26, 2014, 03:56:16 PM
Pools of Radiance, Pools of Darkness, and Wargame Construction Set were awesome.

I played a disturbingly large percentage of games from that list. If it was from Microprose, the percentage would be higher.    ;D
Title: Re: Strategic Simulations, Inc. hommage
Post by: Greybriar on June 26, 2014, 04:00:07 PM
I have many of those SSI titles, including all of the Gold Box games (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Box) (except for Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace).

SSI and MicroProse were my two favorite brands. So many pleasant memories, so much time spent playing those games.
Title: Re: Strategic Simulations, Inc. hommage
Post by: Staggerwing on June 26, 2014, 05:52:08 PM
Quote from: DennisS on June 26, 2014, 03:56:16 PM
Pools of Radiance, Pools of Darkness, and Wargame Construction Set were awesome.

I played a disturbingly large percentage of games from that list. If it was from Microprose, the percentage would be higher.    ;D

IIRC, Norm Koger unofficially allowed WCS2: Tanks! to be released out into the wilds of the internet.
Title: Re: Strategic Simulations, Inc. hommage
Post by: Grim.Reaper on June 26, 2014, 05:59:31 PM
Hard to believe this was one of my favorite games back then...remember you got a nice box, good manual, etc....love this game....probably would still like it today even as I would have to type in commands:)  If I remember correctly, each soldier had its own bio/personality which actually made me care when they died....why can't modern games bring this type of emotion?

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1117.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fk592%2FGrimReaper42%2FGames%2Fca_boxtop_small.jpg&hash=6901bebf761909da66c43bd62e78ece81616b161)

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1117.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fk592%2FGrimReaper42%2FGames%2Fca_c64ambush3.gif&hash=bf96233b56999a7a56a7a380d9769c8d99f67520)
Title: Re: Strategic Simulations, Inc. hommage
Post by: Barthheart on June 26, 2014, 07:02:32 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 26, 2014, 05:59:31 PM
Hard to believe this was one of my favorite games back then...remember you got a nice box, good manual, etc....love this game....probably would still like it today even as I would have to type in commands:)  If I remember correctly, each soldier had its own bio/personality which actually made me care when they died....why can't modern games bring this type of emotion?

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1117.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fk592%2FGrimReaper42%2FGames%2Fca_boxtop_small.jpg&hash=6901bebf761909da66c43bd62e78ece81616b161)

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1117.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fk592%2FGrimReaper42%2FGames%2Fca_c64ambush3.gif&hash=bf96233b56999a7a56a7a380d9769c8d99f67520)

Oh man..... I played so many hours of Computer Ambush. Great game, great atmosphere, and like you I learned to care for my soldiers.... so hard to send them not harms way.... :'(

I believe that Soldiers At War was the direct descendant of Ambush. Another fantastic game where you cared for your men.
Title: Re: Strategic Simulations, Inc. hommage
Post by: magnus on June 26, 2014, 07:03:07 PM
" Yes, in fact you need to say Soldiers at War! "

That could have been a masterpiece except for the few problems it had ie. line of sight.

I cannot believe that so many games that SSI did, have never really been picked up and done 21st century style.
Title: Re: Strategic Simulations, Inc. hommage
Post by: Grim.Reaper on June 26, 2014, 07:25:45 PM
I would give anything to see a remake of these games....never could understand why someone did not make a game where we actually get attached to the soldiers and not just rush them into their deaths:)
Title: Re: Strategic Simulations, Inc. hommage
Post by: Nefaro on June 26, 2014, 08:57:19 PM
Quote from: bbmike on June 26, 2014, 03:51:05 PM
Quote from: magnus on June 26, 2014, 03:42:03 PM
Age of Rifles, need I say more?

Yes, in fact you need to say Soldiers at War!

Squad Leader was the Soldiers At War game, improved in every way, but it always got panned by the Grogs for using the name of their sacred tabletop cow.  Taken for what it was (a new improved version of SAW), it was wonderful.  Those two and the old WH40K: Chaos Gate used pretty much the same engine/mechanics.
Title: Re: Strategic Simulations, Inc. hommage
Post by: GDS_Starfury on June 26, 2014, 09:07:03 PM
SSI was responsible for many a high school and college cram session.  I had something like 7 paintings going for different classes and formats and I'm playing SP at 3am in the middle of a Chicago loft in my boxers.

Good Times!!!
Title: Re: Strategic Simulations, Inc. hommage
Post by: Sir Slash on June 26, 2014, 09:39:40 PM
Those games were so good that you could actually get physical nourishment from playing them. That's all I lived off of in the early nineties. I couldn't afford food.
Title: Re: Strategic Simulations, Inc. hommage
Post by: GDS_Starfury on June 26, 2014, 10:15:15 PM
oh man... I had a noodle house and a greek bar food place withing 100 feet.
Title: Re: Strategic Simulations, Inc. hommage
Post by: FlickJax on June 27, 2014, 01:25:21 AM
Sword of Aragon - brilliant
Title: Re: Strategic Simulations, Inc. hommage
Post by: Double Deuce on June 27, 2014, 04:47:37 AM
Quote from: RyanE on June 26, 2014, 12:03:49 PM
Is someone still keeping the flame burning for Steel Panthers.  I used to follw the Matrix version, but not much happening there.

Shrapnel Games has WinSPMBT and WinSPWW2 (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=50198). Both are free downloads but they have a CD version too. The biggest difference being that the CD-version allows for higher resolutions and some other extra tools/features than the free version. The download is fully functional, not a demo.
Title: Re: Strategic Simulations, Inc. hommage
Post by: bbmike on June 27, 2014, 06:14:20 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on June 26, 2014, 08:57:19 PM
Quote from: bbmike on June 26, 2014, 03:51:05 PM
Quote from: magnus on June 26, 2014, 03:42:03 PM
Age of Rifles, need I say more?

Yes, in fact you need to say Soldiers at War!

Squad Leader was the Soldiers At War game, improved in every way, but it always got panned by the Grogs for using the name of their sacred tabletop cow.  Taken for what it was (a new improved version of SAW), it was wonderful.  Those two and the old WH40K: Chaos Gate used pretty much the same engine/mechanics.

Does anyone know if Squad Leader will work on today's machines? Soldiers at War works but is unplayable because of the super fast mouse problem.
Title: Re: Strategic Simulations, Inc. hommage
Post by: agathosdaimon on June 27, 2014, 08:25:18 AM
North atlantic 86' i have not heard of that one, would love to play it! Red lightning was good too,

Was there ever a more prolific pc game company across as many genres and styles and i doubt there has been anything like it ever since!
Great Naval Battles, Steel Panthers and Battles of Napoleon are favorites that will never leave my computer- gods bless Dosbox!
Title: Re: Strategic Simulations, Inc. hommage
Post by: Nefaro on June 27, 2014, 08:29:39 AM
Quote from: bbmike on June 27, 2014, 06:14:20 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on June 26, 2014, 08:57:19 PM
Quote from: bbmike on June 26, 2014, 03:51:05 PM
Quote from: magnus on June 26, 2014, 03:42:03 PM
Age of Rifles, need I say more?

Yes, in fact you need to say Soldiers at War!

Squad Leader was the Soldiers At War game, improved in every way, but it always got panned by the Grogs for using the name of their sacred tabletop cow.  Taken for what it was (a new improved version of SAW), it was wonderful.  Those two and the old WH40K: Chaos Gate used pretty much the same engine/mechanics.

Does anyone know if Squad Leader will work on today's machines? Soldiers at War works but is unplayable because of the super fast mouse problem.

Last time I played Squad Leader, it was working fairly well on a WinXP (or was it WinVista?) machine.  However, panning the map around was difficult because the higher speed of my processor made the map fly by at warp speed.  Was tough to get my view to anywhere specific.  There is probably some way to fix it, or limit your processor speed to slow it down.  Other than that comlaint, the first scenario in the US campaign (Omaha beach IIRC) was running smoothly.

I always turned on the additional randomized scenarios option for the campaigns.  Great option for SL and WH40K:Chaos Gate.
Title: Re: Strategic Simulations, Inc. hommage
Post by: bbmike on June 27, 2014, 07:43:55 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on June 27, 2014, 08:29:39 AM

Last time I played Squad Leader, it was working fairly well on a WinXP (or was it WinVista?) machine.  However, panning the map around was difficult because the higher speed of my processor made the map fly by at warp speed.  Was tough to get my view to anywhere specific.  There is probably some way to fix it, or limit your processor speed to slow it down.  Other than that comlaint, the first scenario in the US campaign (Omaha beach IIRC) was running smoothly.

Yeah, that map fly by is exactly what I was talking about with Soldiers at War. I've looked for ways to fix it but no luck so far. Sounds like Squad Leader does the same thing.  :(
Title: Re: Strategic Simulations, Inc. hommage
Post by: SgtRock on June 27, 2014, 07:58:36 PM
Quote from: Herman Hum on June 26, 2014, 11:17:27 AM
North Atlantic '86 ate up many nights for me.


I remember that one, also Bomb Alley (AKA War in the Med)! I really wish Grigsby would remake them both!
Also enjoyed Joe Billings Computer Air Combat.

SSI really made computer wargames a reality and a big boost to computer RPG's

Title: Re: Strategic Simulations, Inc. hommage
Post by: Herman Hum on June 27, 2014, 09:40:46 PM
Quote from: agathosdaimon on June 27, 2014, 08:25:18 AM
North atlantic 86' i have not heard of that one, would love to play it! Red lightning was good too,

Look around with Google.  I understand that it is possible to still play it via emulators, but have not tried it myself.

Quote from: SgtRock on June 27, 2014, 07:58:36 PM
Quote from: Herman Hum on June 26, 2014, 11:17:27 AM
North Atlantic '86 ate up many nights for me.

I remember that one, also Bomb Alley (AKA War in the Med)! I really wish Grigsby would remake them both!
Also enjoyed Joe Billings Computer Air Combat.

SSI really made computer wargames a reality and a big boost to computer RPG's

Who could have thought that watching text scroll down a screen could be so tense and exciting.  Players had to fill in the blanks with their own mental images of explosions and missile launches.