Holy poot!
The hit board game Galaxy Trucker just... had someone steal their ideas or something and port the game directly to PC this week as
SPACE RUN.
[Updated to add:
THIS IS NOT AT ALL A PORT OF GALAXY TRUCKER! It looks like GT, sort of, but plays very differently. See comments below.]
For those unfamiliar with the concept, in Galaxy Trucker players spend the first 2/3 of the game cobbling together junky space ships out of spare parts on a hexagonal board (or square perhaps, I've only seen it played at a distance and was impressed), and then the players run their ships to see who can survive to get cargo to a planet first. Basically the game becomes a tower-defense at that point. (There's a fantasy version with goblins, too, not sure if it's made by the same people.)
I haven't noticed any multiplayer yet (edited to add: confirmed no multi), but Focus Interactive (who are behind the
Wargame franchise and the successful port of
Blood Bowl, among some other interesting and questionable properties -- including the upcoming BB2 and the Deathwing Space Hulk FPS which may be remaking Electronic Arts' ancient port {inhale})...
okay, starting that sentence again.
Focus Interactive hired some guys to remake the Galaxy Trucker concept into a sharp-looking PC adaptation. I was pondering whether to get Ageod/Matrix's new Steam release of Civil War 2, when I happened to notice this.
Bought this puppy instead. Currently $15 on Steam, and looks well worth that money even without a sale.
Total Biscuit the Cynical Brit provides an extensive pre/review:
Here ya go, JP. Some drivin' tunes while you're doing that! :D
Going to have to watch that WTF, because if this is Galaxy Trucker in electronic format, I am all over that.
Yeah, all of a sudden this indie game that has been flying below the radar has exploded onto the scene. It does look interesting. And I am always a sucker for space games that involve moving cargo. Might have to hurt my wallet some more. :knuppel2:
I was contemplating a purchase but then I heard the cynical Brit say all the missions are scripted. Me no likey.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 04, 2014, 10:23:41 PM
I was contemplating a purchase but the. I heard the cynical Brit say all the missions are scripted. Me no likey.
Ha! That was my reaction, too! O0 I hope they add more of a dynamic business campaign at some point.
Me too. After I heard that the levels are scripted, I immediately stopped the Youtube vid and went on with my life. :buck2:
Having now put 4 hours into gameplay, further thoughts.
This is not Galaxy Trucker (I was wondering how they could get away with porting it without crediting it!) This is a tower defense game somewhat inspired by GT.
Biggest differences:
1.) As noted, the missions are all 100% scripted, like most (all?) tower defense games. There can be some variable results but those are based on slight randomness on which enemies get targeted, and the player's choices about when and what to deploy. This means the missions are basically puzzle based. Relatedly any mission can be played again to earn extra cash and try to pick up any remaining "star" ratings so as to unlock gear faster. (Gear is unlocked as reputation increases which translates to how many stars you've earned in your missions.)
2.) There is no randomness to the ship design either. The player doesn't do their best innovating with the hand they've been dealt. Any unlocked tech is available to be put on the ship wherever at any time.
3.) In GT once the player launches, that's it -- the player has to make do with the ship they've designed and hope it holds together long enough under (randomized) assault to get to the finish line. In SR, players are given a few free (and usually several necessary point-value) hexes to place on the ship to get it going, and a starting amount of cash; then are expected to build the ship en route as they go. It is not only entirely possible to replace destroyed parts, this may be a viable strategy! (In my last mission I could expect the pirates to blow up a point missile shooter every time I deployed it, but it was better to put out a shooter to score some hits and distract the incoming pirate than to let them be shooting all the time at my more flexibly useful guns.) It is even possible, in some missions, to bring along mechanics who can recreate lost cargo!!
The ship itself is a hex board provided by the game at the start of each mission (and basically unique to each mission), upon which the player then designs the ship. The hex board units are what (can) get permanently destroyed. Once they are gone, that's it nothing else can be put there.
Am I unhappy with the game? Eh, no, but it only somewhat resembles Galaxy Trucker.
Being a self-critical sort, I have added a correction to my numerous sad errors in the OP. :buck2:
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 04, 2014, 10:23:41 PM
I was contemplating a purchase but then I heard the cynical Brit say all the missions are scripted. Me no likey.
Ouch.
That's a big, "WTF?" on the game design. From the sound of it, I would expect an FTL type of situation. :(
Quote from: JasonPratt on July 05, 2014, 09:16:10 AM
Being a self-critical sort, I have added a correction to my numerous sad errors in the OP. :buck2:
can we change the thread title now? :P
I can attest to the awesomeness of this game :)
A fun and unique take on tower defense.
Sigh...it looks decent, but it's no Galaxy Trucker.
Quote from: undercovergeek on July 05, 2014, 11:41:14 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on July 05, 2014, 09:16:10 AM
Being a self-critical sort, I have added a correction to my numerous sad errors in the OP. :buck2:
can we change the thread title now? :P
{checking} Oh, good, we peasants can change our own thread titles here! Did I know that already...? Anyway, yes, done. :)
...on sale for $10 (http://store.steampowered.com/app/275670/?snr=1_7_7_204_150_1) the next ~44 hours or so. Been eyeing this one and almost picked it up during the Steam Summer Sale. Now off to view some Youtube vids before I decide.
It definitely has its moments, in a tower-defensy sort of way. :)