GrogHeads Forum

Tabletop Gaming, Models, and Minis => Wargaming => Topic started by: bayonetbrant on February 02, 2012, 10:16:30 AM

Title: Best Looking Counters
Post by: bayonetbrant on February 02, 2012, 10:16:30 AM
Tabletop wargamers love them some bee-yoo-tiful components. 

What are some of your favorite counters?  They gotta look good, but they have to be functional, as well.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Ffarm8.staticflickr.com%2F7010%2F6806982965_f04367ef9e.jpg&hash=8b8195a31ed8ea9912e48a681a6512e8b83715cf) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/82569839@N00/6806982965/)
Avalanche Press, Soldier Kings (http://www.flickr.com/photos/82569839@N00/6806982965/)

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Ffarm8.staticflickr.com%2F7002%2F6806982943_cbf0fbca3a.jpg&hash=70cb02c8c0bc02593caec14b4bec59de78393079) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/82569839@N00/6806982943/)
Lock'n'Load: Band of Heroes (http://www.flickr.com/photos/82569839@N00/6806982943/)

And just about anything John Cooper (http://www.jrcooper.com/wargameart.htm) does

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jrcooper.com%2Fgameart%2F18thcent.gif&hash=37f156a821f011e5fb996cc0a3ee0ae1fbb8d11e)

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jrcooper.com%2Fgameart%2Fagincourt.gif&hash=bd072fcbeae924ef253621d119625dc6a7932fa8)

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jrcooper.com%2Fgameart%2Fsstall_fc.gif&hash=fe69338da0434dcf74425fcd3b4f171a9fca9494)
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: son_of_montfort on February 02, 2012, 10:24:25 AM
Fantasy Flight Games has the best "chits" but they rarely do counters (they prefer plastic minis). I actually really liked the D&D circular monster counters/chits that came in the 4th edition Monster Vault.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fcf.geekdo-images.com%2Fimages%2Fpic852689_lg.jpg&hash=8ba958e0a41e0f8d5c63525ba6f0f8df91b0a32a)

GMT does decent counters, but I always think they could do a little bit better as far as art and clarity.
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: J P Falcon on February 02, 2012, 10:37:04 AM
Field Commander Napoleon
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: spelk on February 02, 2012, 01:54:48 PM
Victoria Cross II

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fsugarfreegamer.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2011%2F11%2Funboxvcii-5.jpg&hash=59a49cbf79fbd1563a5193fe0e94a37a76fdbf59)
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: gabeeg on February 02, 2012, 05:09:06 PM
I have always liked Lock and Load games counters, very nice.  Those Victoria Cross II chits look pretty sexy also...
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: mirth on February 02, 2012, 06:09:36 PM
The Fighting Formations counters are pretty nice. GMT usually does a good job with it's counters.
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: TheCommandTent on February 02, 2012, 07:40:47 PM
I really enjoy the Conflict of Heroes: Awaken the Bear counters.  Great graphics, very functional, and very sturdy.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2F4.bp.blogspot.com%2F_GaBjIll_29M%2FS7ANsbScw9I%2FAAAAAAAAAAc%2FOnGAlE0hgHw%2Fs1600%2FCOHgame1.JPG&hash=7e5bf4b9ebf2a64b34cf7bc6062f310d121681c6)
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: bayonetbrant on February 02, 2012, 08:57:40 PM
I never could get the hang of the Conflict of Heroes counters
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: TheCommandTent on February 02, 2012, 08:59:24 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 02, 2012, 08:57:40 PM
I never could get the hang of the Conflict of Heroes counters

Not sure what you mean?
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: bayonetbrant on February 02, 2012, 09:59:59 PM
Quote from: SCDJ on February 02, 2012, 08:59:24 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 02, 2012, 08:57:40 PM
I never could get the hang of the Conflict of Heroes counters
Not sure what you mean?

I don't like the way they photographed minis from isometric views and then slapped 'em on counters.  I don't mind some 3d-effects, but I think those go a bit too far.
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: TheCommandTent on February 02, 2012, 10:50:03 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 02, 2012, 09:59:59 PM
Quote from: SCDJ on February 02, 2012, 08:59:24 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 02, 2012, 08:57:40 PM
I never could get the hang of the Conflict of Heroes counters
Not sure what you mean?

I don't like the way they photographed minis from isometric views and then slapped 'em on counters.  I don't mind some 3d-effects, but I think those go a bit too far.

Ah I see what you are getting at.  I don't have alot of experience with true board wargames so I am missing out on some of the alternatives to this type of counter I think.
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: Jack Nastyface on February 06, 2012, 07:51:26 PM
Desktop publishing and computer graphics have completely revolutionized the map / counter portion of wargaming.

Here are some of my favorite examples from by-gone years:

Car Wars - Steve Jackson Games
Loved the colors and textures...the paint clouds almost float off the map of Midville.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fcf.geekdo-images.com%2Fimages%2Fpic58790_lg.jpg&hash=7b19fa7b34e7c53bd76e7f36bb1644f23e381284)

Beat to Quarters - Command PerspectivesThis very little known table-top game feature extensive (exhausting?) rules for ship-to-ship combat in the age of sail...but it included some beautiful (at the time) counters (about 1/1200 scale) so you could play sans minis.  For a young geek who had only seen the tiny WS&IM counters, these were simply amazing.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fcf.geekdo-images.com%2Fimages%2Fpic280068_lg.jpg&hash=ef7cc651f832fe1e3558be6ebec203de708c0829)

Gunslinger - Avalon Hill
Nothing special, graphically speaking, but the individual characters really evoked a sense of playing in the Old West genre.   Much better than the lack-luster "top down" counters from TSR's Boothill.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fcf.geekdo-images.com%2Fimages%2Fpic188118_lg.jpg&hash=713557cc1fd12da1608249fc827ae13765deadf9)

Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: bob48 on February 26, 2012, 07:10:09 AM
The nice big chunky CoH counters are good, and, once you get used to 'em, LnL's WaW counters. Again, LnL's White Star Rising ones are excellent, and at 3/4" square, much easier to read the info.

However, my favorites, by far, are those from GMT's Normandy '44. The division badges add such a lot of flavour to them.

There is a game being develped by Compass called Combat Patrol which has some very nice 1" square counters representing individual soldiers, although its not clear if this game will ever make it into print.
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: bayonetbrant on February 26, 2012, 07:53:47 AM
Liberty Roads has some awesome counters w/ unit insignia on them

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fcf.geekdo-images.com%2Fimages%2Fpic390073.jpg&hash=0ae5cd8f881fc6226139088d9e84a74d1423c7ae)


(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fcf.geekdo-images.com%2Fimages%2Fpic1000103_lg.jpg&hash=7bfad7440824a4b49ac69df3edf959db67472c1f)
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: bob48 on February 26, 2012, 09:52:28 AM
Damn - I wanted Liberty Roads, but its out of print (as far as I know) and getting a copy aint easy.
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: bayonetbrant on February 26, 2012, 01:36:11 PM
Quote from: bob48 on February 26, 2012, 09:52:28 AM
Damn - I wanted Liberty Roads, but its out of print (as far as I know) and getting a copy aint easy.

http://www.nobleknight.com/ProductDetailSearch.asp_Q_ProductID_E_2147431772_A_InventoryID_E_2147849841
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: bob48 on February 26, 2012, 02:09:07 PM
Cool - thank you  :)
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: ken ellis on April 03, 2012, 09:35:25 PM
what!?! no love here for the classic, beauty of hard core napoleonics?

Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: bayonetbrant on August 08, 2012, 04:52:10 PM
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fsphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net%2Fhphotos-snc7%2F578666_452593571441073_1512300922_n.jpg&hash=6e006a5fe02d7a1031145a9b35007dd1e10ca216)

some upcoming stuff from the 2d edition of ANZAC Attack
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: TheCommandTent on August 08, 2012, 05:04:18 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 08, 2012, 04:52:10 PM
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fsphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net%2Fhphotos-snc7%2F578666_452593571441073_1512300922_n.jpg&hash=6e006a5fe02d7a1031145a9b35007dd1e10ca216)

some upcoming stuff from the 2d edition of ANZAC Attack

Simple but effective.  The art is good but doesn't get in the way of reading the stats on the counter.
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: LongBlade on August 08, 2012, 05:15:26 PM
"Nu Dat"?

Walker's always got a sense of humor.  8)
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: Rekim on February 01, 2014, 09:15:54 AM
Just came across these. They belong to a title called Engage & Destroy in development by Brien J Miller. Holy smokes...

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Ftalk.consimworld.com%2FWebX%3F233%40%40.1dd168b1%2F1883%21enclosure%3D.1dd87b4e&hash=d59762e90a5648fbee32cae84d32d01274b5d5c1)
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: BanzaiCat on February 01, 2014, 09:30:13 AM
I really like the counters in Picket Duty. I wish I had time to get into this but there's at least two games in the queue before it right now...which is just as well since the newer/updated rules are yet to come out.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.legionwargames.com%2Fimages%2FPicket%2520Duty%2520CPO2%2520counters.jpg&hash=75daa954c0ef2ce7683e2ec31645cfabc86d7d97)
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: bob48 on February 01, 2014, 11:12:05 AM
Quote from: Rekim on February 01, 2014, 09:15:54 AM
Just came across these. They belong to a title called Engage & Destroy in development by Brien J Miller. Holy smokes...

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Ftalk.consimworld.com%2FWebX%3F233%40%40.1dd168b1%2F1883%21enclosure%3D.1dd87b4e&hash=d59762e90a5648fbee32cae84d32d01274b5d5c1)

Those are stunning. Hope they are bigger than 1/2" though.
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: bayonetbrant on February 01, 2014, 11:44:43 AM
here they are on a map


click to enlarge
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Ftalk.consimworld.com%2FWebX%3F233%40%40.1dd168b1%2F2045%21enclosure%3D.1dda750f&hash=fee0cb53605af7a4273595ca12efe0d1b2694f2e)
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: bob48 on February 01, 2014, 12:37:35 PM
I assume those are playtest counters. Is there a link to the game please?
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: Nefaro on February 01, 2014, 01:25:38 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on February 01, 2014, 09:30:13 AM
I really like the counters in Picket Duty. I wish I had time to get into this but there's at least two games in the queue before it right now...which is just as well since the newer/updated rules are yet to come out.


Picket Duty was the first game I thought about for this thread.  B_C beat me to it.  :)

Beautiful counters.  The Destroyer 'map' is also pretty bitchin'.
Title: .
Post by: eyebiter on February 01, 2014, 01:38:44 PM
.
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: BanzaiCat on February 01, 2014, 02:24:36 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on February 01, 2014, 01:25:38 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on February 01, 2014, 09:30:13 AM
I really like the counters in Picket Duty. I wish I had time to get into this but there's at least two games in the queue before it right now...which is just as well since the newer/updated rules are yet to come out.


Picket Duty was the first game I thought about for this thread.  B_C beat me to it.  :)

Beautiful counters.  The Destroyer 'map' is also pretty bitchin'.

I assume you're keeping an eye out for the newer rules as well?  Or have you tried it out?
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: bayonetbrant on February 01, 2014, 05:01:16 PM
Bob - start here: http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1dd168b1/1892
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: Nefaro on February 01, 2014, 06:03:43 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on February 01, 2014, 02:24:36 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on February 01, 2014, 01:25:38 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on February 01, 2014, 09:30:13 AM
I really like the counters in Picket Duty. I wish I had time to get into this but there's at least two games in the queue before it right now...which is just as well since the newer/updated rules are yet to come out.


Picket Duty was the first game I thought about for this thread.  B_C beat me to it.  :)

Beautiful counters.  The Destroyer 'map' is also pretty bitchin'.

I assume you're keeping an eye out for the newer rules as well?  Or have you tried it out?

I played Picket Duty last month after receiving it.  Or maybe it was in late November.

Despite needing a couple rules clarifications, I managed to figure everything else out okay.  It's pretty fun.  I liked it more than their B-29 Superfortress game.  Not having to roll on an assortment of navigation tables & such lets you cut right to the fun.

As with these B-17 QotS style solitaire games, it's all about rolling your way through the tables with the occasional decision to make.  So you can pretty much just follow along with the turn sequence in the rulebook, and likewise make your way through the charts book in order. 

Despite the rulebook needing some clarifications here & there, I managed to figure most of it out.  I found the gameplay more interesting because it felt like I was making more decisions, if only because there were more gun positions to allocate (and fighters attacking you per wave, generally).  It also has more damage related decisions to make since you have a limited amount of damage controls teams & personnel to allocate.  I didn't get too heavily damaged during the couple week single patrol I did so I haven't experienced a real hectic time of it yet.  You also post some of your officers to specific compartments and they can give bonuses to certain things. 

I'm looking forward to playing it again soon and doing a campaign with multiple patrols.  I have some other solitaire games lined up for table space but it'll come back around before long. 
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: bob48 on February 01, 2014, 06:07:52 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 01, 2014, 05:01:16 PM
Bob - start here: http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1dd168b1/1892

Thanks Brant, I'll be keeping my eye on this one. Seeing those full counter sheets and maps has got me salivating.

I wonder if this will published by Compass Games?
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: Mad Russian on February 09, 2014, 10:28:11 PM
Those counters are insane!!! WAY TOO BUSY for these old eyes!

Good Hunting.

MR
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: Bison on February 09, 2014, 10:50:40 PM
Yeah I'm with MR on the busy looking nature of the counters.  Maybe I've been conditioned over the years of gaming, but why are the Russians green and not a red color?
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: Bison on February 09, 2014, 11:13:19 PM
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.chuck-a-con.net%2FGMTCombatCommanderEuropeCounters3.jpg&hash=d5e68e56e46a52815ff4239fd355cf8d0cedbfe2)

I like the Combat Commander counters.
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: Mad Russian on February 10, 2014, 01:07:44 AM
Yeah, you got to love a game where the designer puts himself in as a corporal.

I must be way in the minority, I want my counters to be functional. If they get too busy with watermarks, 95 factors, etc. I personally think they lose their functionality. I am here to play the game. I want it to be the best possible game system it can be. Counter art ranks exactly dead last in things I'm concerned with.

Good Hunting.

MR
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: TacticalWargames on March 21, 2014, 06:28:56 PM
Oh YES!! I had Car Wars, Truck Stop and Sunday Drivers...loved those counters!!. I hope one day we get a PC version thats wego\top down.

I'm not keen on Conflict of heroes counters nor the side view of Fighting Formations. Panzer Grenadier do some good looking counters as have GMT Panzer and LockNLoad games.





Quote from: Jack Nastyface on February 06, 2012, 07:51:26 PM
Desktop publishing and computer graphics have completely revolutionized the map / counter portion of wargaming.

Here are some of my favorite examples from by-gone years:

Car Wars - Steve Jackson Games
Loved the colors and textures...the paint clouds almost float off the map of Midville.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fcf.geekdo-images.com%2Fimages%2Fpic58790_lg.jpg&hash=7b19fa7b34e7c53bd76e7f36bb1644f23e381284)

[

Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: MengJiao on April 03, 2014, 08:39:01 AM
Quote from: Bison on February 09, 2014, 11:13:19 PM
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.chuck-a-con.net%2FGMTCombatCommanderEuropeCounters3.jpg&hash=d5e68e56e46a52815ff4239fd355cf8d0cedbfe2)

I like the Combat Commander counters.

  I'm just now starting to play some Combat Command.  For me it works pretty well in solitaire, though since all the stuff I ordered is arriving in reverse order (the C3i magazine, the Fall of the West, Mediterreanean and meanwhile Europe is only just now leaving Orlando.) many aspects of the game are subject to some extreme improvisations.  Only one thing is clear so far: with enough tanks and some extra cards, the French can overrun the Italians in a small Tunisian eggplant farm pretty fast.

  Which reminds me: the tank rules are exactly the kind of clunky rules I love in a game.
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: Dolan50 on April 05, 2014, 06:27:42 PM

For the Napoleonic Wars, I've always liked the map and counters by Operational Studies Group.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fcf.geekdo-images.com%2Fimages%2Fpic1937944_lg.jpg&hash=6cec306f87dbb565e2eab975d665a300e026ae04)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fcf.geekdo-images.com%2Fimages%2Fpic1937946_lg.jpg&hash=ce1c8ace32bbdc998c339d0985dfde89af71eca9)
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: Nefaro on April 05, 2014, 06:32:41 PM
I just got The Lion And The Sword (Vae Victis) in the mail.

The counter art is beautiful, especially for something that qualifies as a 'ziplock' game.



Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: bayonetbrant on April 05, 2014, 06:41:55 PM
Quote from: Dolan50 on April 05, 2014, 06:27:42 PM

Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: Dolan50 on April 05, 2014, 06:53:38 PM
^^
Thanks. :)
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: MengJiao on April 06, 2014, 09:03:51 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on April 03, 2014, 08:39:01 AM
Quote from: Bison on February 09, 2014, 11:13:19 PM
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.chuck-a-con.net%2FGMTCombatCommanderEuropeCounters3.jpg&hash=d5e68e56e46a52815ff4239fd355cf8d0cedbfe2)

I like the Combat Commander counters.

  I'm just now starting to play some Combat Command.  For me it works pretty well in solitaire, though since all the stuff I ordered is arriving in reverse order (the C3i magazine, the Fall of the West, Mediterreanean and meanwhile Europe is only just now leaving Orlando.) many aspects of the game are subject to some extreme improvisations.  Only one thing is clear so far: with enough tanks and some extra cards, the French can overrun the Italians in a small Tunisian eggplant farm pretty fast.

  Which reminds me: the tank rules are exactly the kind of clunky rules I love in a game.

The tanks roll in.  I borrowed the Char1bs from my ATS games.  This is a scenario from fall of the west:

Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: Mad Russian on April 07, 2014, 08:50:33 AM
They look good on the map.
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: bayonetbrant on April 07, 2014, 09:08:55 AM
I like that CC gives you acre-sized hexes to fit the counter in, and it's not just skyscraper stacks of them with all the modifier / admin counters in the piles like the OCS games
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 03, 2014, 11:07:38 AM
Here's a new set that looks pretty nice

click to enlarge
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Ftalk.consimworld.com%2FWebX%3F233%40%40.1dd158e7%2F2852%21enclosure%3D.1ddac032&hash=4a9e875891ec05e9843d79411f175aee26151e72)

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Ftalk.consimworld.com%2FWebX%3F233%40%40.1dd158e7%2F2852%21enclosure%3D.1ddac033&hash=cb765ada57af141726e6cbd41e4aafea80cc05fb)

they're a set of custom counters for TCS "Objective: Schmidt"
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 03, 2014, 11:11:38 AM
For comparison, here are the originals

click to really enlarge
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fcf.geekdo-images.com%2Fimages%2Fpic165390_lg.jpg&hash=82c490ed18ed5d915a5a2ac146cb7e061d09ea2c) (http://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic165390.jpg)
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: Nefaro on July 03, 2014, 12:32:13 PM
Nice.

I recall the original style ones from the sister game I had, Bloody 110.   Wasn't bad for the time but rather minimalist for today.
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: TacticalWargames on July 12, 2014, 12:11:46 PM
I do prefer top down than side on or 3D for AFV's.
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: ArizonaTank on July 18, 2014, 03:57:48 AM
Quote from: Mad Russian on February 09, 2014, 10:28:11 PM
Those counters are insane!!! WAY TOO BUSY for these old eyes!

Good Hunting.

MR

Exactly, the older I get, the more "clean" I like my counters to be.  The alternate counter set in MMP's "A Victory Lost" are just my sort of counters.  They look very nice on the board, big numbers, not too busy.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/159090/victory-lost
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: bayonetbrant on August 06, 2015, 07:22:35 AM
(https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/11755460_1612907238973091_5499561231400079670_n.jpg?oh=c93f934321ffcc44ceedd62a181a80cb&oe=563F7437)
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: bob48 on August 06, 2015, 07:24:08 AM
Are those from 'Liberty Roads'?
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: Bison on August 06, 2015, 07:25:18 AM
It should be against the Grogheads by-laws to post an image of counters without the name of the game.  :)
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: mirth on August 06, 2015, 07:38:31 AM
Quote from: Bison on August 06, 2015, 07:25:18 AM
It should be against the Grogheads by-laws to post an image of counters without the name of the game.  :)

It is, but in typical fashion, the leadership likes to think it is above the law.
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: Bison on August 06, 2015, 08:18:57 AM
This is clearly a cruel joke being played by Brant.
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: bayonetbrant on August 06, 2015, 08:34:59 AM
{D} All of the above


They're from the forthcoming sequel to Liberty Roads
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: GJK on August 07, 2015, 11:27:26 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 06, 2015, 07:22:35 AM
(https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/11755460_1612907238973091_5499561231400079670_n.jpg?oh=c93f934321ffcc44ceedd62a181a80cb&oe=563F7437)


The unit specific icons are neat to have in a game.  It gives the counters some personality.  That said, I think in this case they are way too overpowering....makes me wonder what a cluttered mess the map will look like when it's full of those multicolored counters.  Personally, I'd switch the NATO symbol with the unit badge, making the NATO symbol the predominant depiction and the badge tucked into the corner just to give it a bit of personality.
Title: Re: Best Looking Counters
Post by: Paul on August 07, 2015, 11:49:30 PM
QuoteFor comparison, here are the originals...

To be honest, I like the older counters. I can appreciate the counter art that is possible now, but I'm not much for "circus wagon" design. Less is more to me. I may be contrarian in this. :)