GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: republic on July 09, 2014, 08:03:57 AM

Title: X-Plane Coming to Steam
Post by: republic on July 09, 2014, 08:03:57 AM
http://www.x-plane.com/2014/07/x-plane-10-is-coming-to-steam/

I hope this will help spur flight sim development.  Now that we have so many spacey games in the works...maybe the flight sim is ready for a comeback  :)
Title: Re: X-Plane Coming to Steam
Post by: Grim.Reaper on July 09, 2014, 08:07:06 AM
Do we know if it will use the steam workshop to make modding and additions easier to apply?  Will you be able to buy add-ons through it as well?

If so, this might be something that finally gets me to jump in.....
Title: Re: X-Plane Coming to Steam
Post by: undercovergeek on July 09, 2014, 08:23:00 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 09, 2014, 08:07:06 AM
Do we know if it will use the steam workshop to make modding and additions easier to apply?  Will you be able to buy add-ons through it as well?

If so, this might be something that finally gets me to jump in.....

have you seen Finding Nemo?



you remind me of this guy when a new game is mentioned
Title: Re: X-Plane Coming to Steam
Post by: Grim.Reaper on July 09, 2014, 08:27:47 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on July 09, 2014, 08:23:00 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 09, 2014, 08:07:06 AM
Do we know if it will use the steam workshop to make modding and additions easier to apply?  Will you be able to buy add-ons through it as well?

If so, this might be something that finally gets me to jump in.....

have you seen Finding Nemo?



you remind me of this guy when a new game is mentioned

Thanks
Title: Re: X-Plane Coming to Steam
Post by: undercovergeek on July 09, 2014, 08:29:36 AM
lol - no offense meant obviously
Title: Re: X-Plane Coming to Steam
Post by: Grim.Reaper on July 09, 2014, 08:31:31 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on July 09, 2014, 08:29:36 AM
lol - no offense meant obviously

No worries at all...didn't take offense...to be honest, never saw that movie either:)  I was probably too busy trying to decide the next game I was going to purchase instead:)
Title: Re: X-Plane Coming to Steam
Post by: jomni on July 09, 2014, 05:33:59 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 09, 2014, 08:07:06 AM
Do we know if it will use the steam workshop to make modding and additions easier to apply?  Will you be able to buy add-ons through it as well?

If so, this might be something that finally gets me to jump in.....

Even without Steam Workshop, adding add-ons is already easy.  Just slap it in the right directory, no text file editing like the other sim.  That's why I prefer it more than FSX now.
What I like for a Steam version is auto update.  I had problems updating before using the updater.

More users will be good.

And no more DVD in drive DRM.
Title: Re: X-Plane Coming to Steam
Post by: bob48 on July 09, 2014, 06:17:34 PM
I've been tempted by this for ages as an alternative to FSX, although the price has put me off. I also read that there is a lot of map area that is pretty devoid of detail. Can anyone confirm / deny?
Title: Re: X-Plane Coming to Steam
Post by: jomni on July 09, 2014, 06:44:21 PM
Quote from: bob48 on July 09, 2014, 06:17:34 PM
I've been tempted by this for ages as an alternative to FSX, although the price has put me off. I also read that there is a lot of map area that is pretty devoid of detail. Can anyone confirm / deny?

Confirm.  Just green grass and roads.  Cities are suburbs.  Airports have no buildings. That's why I spend most of my time editing scenery.
Title: Re: X-Plane Coming to Steam
Post by: republic on July 10, 2014, 07:22:43 AM
Have you tried this Jomni?  http://www.alpilotx.net/downloads/x-plane-10-hd-scenery-mesh-v2/ (http://www.alpilotx.net/downloads/x-plane-10-hd-scenery-mesh-v2/)
Title: Re: X-Plane Coming to Steam
Post by: jomni on July 10, 2014, 07:42:21 AM
Not yet.  Because it doesn't cover my area of operations (Asia).
Title: Re: X-Plane Coming to Steam
Post by: Jarhead0331 on July 14, 2014, 02:56:27 PM
Pay attention, ladies. Its out.
Title: Re: X-Plane Coming to Steam
Post by: Staggerwing on July 14, 2014, 05:45:23 PM
Hey Huw!

Looks like it's available in Linux!
Title: Re: X-Plane Coming to Steam
Post by: Huw the Poo on July 14, 2014, 06:17:30 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on July 14, 2014, 05:45:23 PM
Hey Huw!

Looks like it's available in Linux!

Yeah and I wouldn't mind having it at all, but I can't devote the time to it right now.  Bloody tempting though, and a real boon for the Linux community. :)
Title: Re: X-Plane Coming to Steam
Post by: jomni on July 14, 2014, 07:32:09 PM
It doesn't choose an OS. The physical version is usable in Windows, Mac, Linux.
Title: Re: X-Plane Coming to Steam
Post by: PanzersEast on July 15, 2014, 12:10:56 PM
I still plan to purchase X-Plane even though I am heavily vested in FSX...... just flew the PMDG 747 last night and decided not to purchase the 777 @ $90 (I want to, but I can buy so many games I will never play for that amount).....  ::)  I need to watch some more vids as I followed the development of 10 but have not revisited in a long while.



PE
Title: Re: X-Plane Coming to Steam
Post by: PanzersEast on July 15, 2014, 12:28:19 PM
Oh.... one of the main reason is I can pickup X-Plane and the 777 Worldliner for roughly the same price once I get the discount for X-Plane as opposed to purchasing the PMDG 777.  Good to have choices!


PE
Title: Re: X-Plane Coming to Steam
Post by: jomni on July 26, 2014, 02:00:02 AM
Quote from: republic on July 10, 2014, 07:22:43 AM
Have you tried this Jomni?  http://www.alpilotx.net/downloads/x-plane-10-hd-scenery-mesh-v2/ (http://www.alpilotx.net/downloads/x-plane-10-hd-scenery-mesh-v2/)

Yahoo!!! Japan is now available!

Here are some of my scenery with the new mesh.  It apparently also alters roads and landclass. :)
(https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-8hCaeSqLpGQ/U9NhSE3eV2I/AAAAAAAAICU/aotcFRat3II/w1598-h855-no/a320neo_6.png)
(https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-6gTnA-r2FvQ/U9NhR6_qF_I/AAAAAAAAICM/TGWTcMFuYSk/w1598-h855-no/a320neo_1.png)
Title: Re: X-Plane Coming to Steam
Post by: Yskonyn on July 26, 2014, 06:59:04 AM
Looks good!
Can you import that map into SB Pro for Asid and me, jomni? ;)
Title: Re: X-Plane Coming to Steam
Post by: republic on July 27, 2014, 07:29:32 AM
I just wish I had a Aerosoft Twin Otter or Lionheart Kodiak Quest to fly in X-Plane.  I wonder how hard it would be to take your FSX assets and just create a X-Plane version.  You already have the models, etc....I don't' get it.  :(
Title: Re: X-Plane Coming to Steam
Post by: Asid on July 27, 2014, 07:40:49 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on July 26, 2014, 06:59:04 AM
Looks good!
Can you import that map into SB Pro for Asid and me, jomni? ;)

:knuppel2:
Title: Re: X-Plane Coming to Steam
Post by: jomni on August 08, 2014, 06:57:34 PM
Clouds cast shadows on the ground thanks to SkyMaxx Pro 2.0.   
http://www.x-aviation.com/catalog/skymaxx-p-101.html

(https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-uirSLHQczhk/U-VdORxcJqI/AAAAAAAAIK8/mLs8MwzwFWY/w1598-h855-no/737_2.png)




Eat that FSX!
Title: Re: X-Plane Coming to Steam
Post by: bob48 on August 09, 2014, 04:50:42 AM
Impressive.
Title: Re: X-Plane Coming to Steam
Post by: Huw the Poo on August 09, 2014, 07:00:36 AM
Looks like you're getting low framerates, Jomni.  :-\
Title: Re: X-Plane Coming to Steam
Post by: jomni on August 09, 2014, 07:27:22 AM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on August 09, 2014, 07:00:36 AM
Looks like you're getting low framerates, Jomni.  :-\

Why do you say that?
Title: Re: X-Plane Coming to Steam
Post by: Jarhead0331 on August 09, 2014, 09:22:13 AM
Quote from: jomni on August 09, 2014, 07:27:22 AM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on August 09, 2014, 07:00:36 AM
Looks like you're getting low framerates, Jomni.  :-\

Why do you say that?

Look at it, dude. Nothing is moving. Duh!
Title: Re: X-Plane Coming to Steam
Post by: Huw the Poo on August 09, 2014, 09:36:22 AM
A few posts ago your framerate was showing 19 and 26.

Don't get me wrong, I only dream of 26 on any game made since 2005, but to many gamers that would be unacceptable!
Title: Re: X-Plane Coming to Steam
Post by: jomni on August 09, 2014, 06:14:21 PM
Yes.  I had to turn down detail after that.
The new Japan mesh add-on added a lot of buildings as well.
Title: Re: X-Plane Coming to Steam
Post by: Grim.Reaper on October 04, 2014, 07:06:11 PM
See this is on sale at steam for 33% off...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/292180/