GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: TacticalWargames on July 17, 2014, 10:28:06 PM

Title: WH40K game ripe for conversion? Any Ideas?
Post by: TacticalWargames on July 17, 2014, 10:28:06 PM
I'm going through an obsession with WH40K after getting into the Omnibus novels. So I've been wracking my brain for a wargame  that could be converted to a WH40K version. The one that is is fore front in my mind is Squad Battles, though I have to find out if it's possible to mod it that extensively and then I wondered if 50m hex was abit small for a  Space Marine squad. Maybe a 100m would be better.

The beauty  of finding a top down wargame would be the ease of counter making. Counters could say have the marines emblem or a Space Marines head like the soldiers heads at the moment.
Title: Re: Any Ideas?
Post by: Bletchley_Geek on July 17, 2014, 11:02:36 PM
What about CMx2?

Nah, I'm kidding.


I'd look at something like Advanced Tactics, to be very honest. It is kind of difficult to wrap your head around the editor, but I think it's the one that will allow you change things most easily.
Title: Re: Any Ideas?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on July 18, 2014, 04:51:04 AM
I'm with Bletchley...something like this has  Advanced Tactics Gold written all over it.

Good luck though...something's tells me anything released on the internet using GW IP will result in a cease and desist, once they find out about it.
Title: Re: Any Ideas?
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 18, 2014, 05:22:19 AM
You might want a slightly more descriptive subject line that indicates you're talking WH40K.  Otherwise, you're going to get people who might have a suggestion skipping right over this thread b/c they don't know what you're looking for from its title.
Title: Re: Any Ideas?
Post by: Tinkershuffle on July 18, 2014, 07:06:47 AM
Considering the melee combat in 40k universe, I don't think 50m hexes are too small at all. How would you deal with the use of magic?
Title: Re: Any Ideas?
Post by: Nefaro on July 18, 2014, 08:57:42 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 18, 2014, 04:51:04 AM

Good luck though...something's tells me anything released on the internet using GW IP will result in a cease and desist, once they find out about it.

Yeah, if it gets a lot of attention anyway.

Remember when that free remake of the old Space Hulk came out with heavy references to 40K?  They sent the lawyers out.
Title: Re: WH40K game ripe for conversion? Any Ideas?
Post by: Gusington on July 18, 2014, 07:49:59 PM
The lawyers are deployed to cleanse the unclean. Burn the heretics!
Title: Re: WH40K game ripe for conversion? Any Ideas?
Post by: Staggerwing on July 18, 2014, 07:53:10 PM
A whiff of Xenos and the GWinquisitors are there!
Title: Re: WH40K game ripe for conversion? Any Ideas?
Post by: reapagan on July 18, 2014, 08:00:45 PM
Try Chaos Gate, it uses the same basic engine as the old Soldiers At War, both from Strategic Simulations. Runs on Win 7.  Also Final Liberation was pretty good, both games, especially Chaos Gate are the closest thing to the miniatures game it gets.
Title: Re: WH40K game ripe for conversion? Any Ideas?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on July 18, 2014, 08:10:47 PM
Quote from: reapagan on July 18, 2014, 08:00:45 PM
Try Chaos Gate, it uses the same basic engine as the old Soldiers At War, both from Strategic Simulations. Runs on Win 7.  Also Final Liberation was pretty good, both games, especially Chaos Gate are the closest thing to the miniatures game it gets.

Since when does Chaos Gate run on windows 7?
Title: Re: WH40K game ripe for conversion? Any Ideas?
Post by: Nefaro on July 18, 2014, 09:38:44 PM
Quote from: reapagan on July 18, 2014, 08:00:45 PM
Try Chaos Gate, it uses the same basic engine as the old Soldiers At War, both from Strategic Simulations. Runs on Win 7.  Also Final Liberation was pretty good, both games, especially Chaos Gate are the closest thing to the miniatures game it gets.

I loved Chaos Gate, despite the bugs. 

Even though it will start up on Win7 (didn't on XP), I wouldn't say it will necessarily "Run".  I tried a couple years ago on Win7, after hearing that it will start on it, and there were some nasty Audio issues and graphics artifacting that stil made it pretty much unplayable for me.  :(


The audio would make crackling and screeching noises for many of the sounds and the game menu graphics, such as squad selection and arming screens, would flip out back & forth and screw up the display so much I couldn't make it out anymore.
Title: Re: WH40K game ripe for conversion? Any Ideas?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on July 19, 2014, 05:26:23 AM
I know nothing about this game, but did see this posted in a place that discussed how to get it running in Windows 7...no idea if it really works.

"After installing the game, download and install the 1.2 patch. Run the game with compatibility mode on and set to windows service pack 2."
Title: Re: WH40K game ripe for conversion? Any Ideas?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on July 19, 2014, 07:20:46 AM
Yeah. I saw that too. It's three years old and it doesn't work.
Title: Re: WH40K game ripe for conversion? Any Ideas?
Post by: TacticalWargames on July 19, 2014, 01:48:55 PM
I have Chaos gate working on Win 7 64bit..but it wont work if you install the 1.2 patch.
Title: Re: WH40K game ripe for conversion? Any Ideas?
Post by: Nefaro on July 19, 2014, 04:05:24 PM
Quote from: TacticalWargames on July 19, 2014, 01:48:55 PM
I have Chaos gate working on Win 7 64bit..but it wont work if you install the 1.2 patch.

IIRC, the patch for Chaos Gate fixed some annoying bugs too.   ???

As for when I tried it on Win7, I think I tried both versions with negative results.  The biggest problem was the gfx artifacting left over on the screen when I moved or changed the view, blocking what I should be able to see.  May have just been the gfx card/drivers I was using at the time so others may have more luck.
Title: Re: WH40K game ripe for conversion? Any Ideas?
Post by: JasonPratt on July 20, 2014, 10:31:26 PM
What was Chaos Gate written for? Or Final Liberation for that matter? If it's pre-XP, then isn't this a job for D-Fend Reloaded?

Meanwhile, back on the thread topic: Fields of Glory should approximate the scales necessary for melee and (relatively) long-distance fighting. I was going to say Battle for Wesnoth, to help with art assets, but it only represents individual units I think. Then again you'd have to model a lot of descriptions anyway, and Panzer General looks like single-units too so far as art goes.

A couple John Tiller games come to mind but I don't recall the names. One had to do with Hannibal though. Again, melee and relatively long-distance squad fighting.
Title: Re: WH40K game ripe for conversion? Any Ideas?
Post by: JasonPratt on July 20, 2014, 10:33:00 PM
Also meanwhile, be patient and Matrixlitherine will release its 40K table-toppish Panzer Generalish game (speaking of PG modeling groups by using single sprites).
Title: Re: WH40K game ripe for conversion? Any Ideas?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on July 21, 2014, 05:09:38 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on July 20, 2014, 10:33:00 PM
Also meanwhile, be patient and Matrixlitherine will release its 40K table-toppish Panzer Generalish game (speaking of PG modeling groups by using single sprites).

Yes...this will definitely fill a void, but not one left by chaos gate. Totally different scale. By the way, pretty sure chaos gate was pre-win95.
Title: Re: WH40K game ripe for conversion? Any Ideas?
Post by: Nefaro on July 21, 2014, 09:22:47 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on July 20, 2014, 10:31:26 PM
What was Chaos Gate written for? Or Final Liberation for that matter? If it's pre-XP, then isn't this a job for D-Fend Reloaded?


Win98.  Although much of it's early development may have originally been aimed at Win95 because it was released around '97 or '98.
Title: Re: WH40K game ripe for conversion? Any Ideas?
Post by: JasonPratt on July 21, 2014, 10:38:29 AM
Um. Yes, that could be a problem. Virtual Machine maybe?
Title: Re: WH40K game ripe for conversion? Any Ideas?
Post by: Nefaro on July 21, 2014, 04:49:11 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on July 21, 2014, 10:38:29 AM
Um. Yes, that could be a problem. Virtual Machine maybe?

That was how the truly desperate were playing it before.  I never wanted to spend that much time setting up virtual Win98 emulation - especially if it's likely to have hardware compatibility issues somewhere between the three (OS+VM, Game) that would need to be jacked with.
Title: Re: WH40K game ripe for conversion? Any Ideas?
Post by: Rayfer on July 21, 2014, 06:30:11 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 21, 2014, 04:49:11 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on July 21, 2014, 10:38:29 AM
Um. Yes, that could be a problem. Virtual Machine maybe?

That was how the truly desperate were playing it before.  I never wanted to spend that much time setting up virtual Win98 emulation - especially if it's likely to have hardware compatibility issues somewhere between the three (OS+VM, Game) that would need to be jacked with.

nefaro...your post reminds me of why I like Steam...buy it, download it, then play it. And patches...well, they just happen. No rocket-science to it at all...!
Title: Re: WH40K game ripe for conversion? Any Ideas?
Post by: JasonPratt on July 22, 2014, 07:42:24 AM
Pondering... I have an XPSP2 super-laptop still in operation. Seems like they might run on that in ME/98 emulation mode...