GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: KyzBP on July 20, 2014, 04:49:06 PM

Title: Huw The Poo is Awesome!
Post by: KyzBP on July 20, 2014, 04:49:06 PM
I'd like to publicly thank Huw for a very generous gift. O0  It's great knowing that one can almost predict the seemingly never ending generosity of the members of this community...especially Huw.

Thanks again!

* Mods: Can you please leave this up for at least 24 hours before wisking it away into the unknown?  It would be greatly appreciated. *
Title: Re: Huw The Poo is Awesome!
Post by: Huw the Poo on July 20, 2014, 04:58:28 PM
Haha!  *shucks*

I just hope you enjoy it.  I tried so hard to get into it but there were one or two things I just never got (which is weird because I got on with Sengoku just fine).  When you master it, tell me how to play the damned thing! ;)
Title: Re: Huw The Poo is Awesome!
Post by: KyzBP on July 20, 2014, 05:34:30 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on July 20, 2014, 04:58:28 PM
Haha!  *shucks*

I just hope you enjoy it.  I tried so hard to get into it but there were one or two things I just never got (which is weird because I got on with Sengoku just fine).  When you master it, tell me how to play the damned thing! ;)

That's a deal.
Title: Re: Huw The Poo is Awesome!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on July 20, 2014, 05:39:12 PM
At least tell us what the gift is...
Title: Re: Huw The Poo is Awesome!
Post by: Staggerwing on July 20, 2014, 06:01:46 PM
Crusader Kings II
Title: Re: Huw The Poo is Awesome!
Post by: bbmike on July 20, 2014, 06:16:06 PM
Then I would agree, Huw the Poo is indeed awesome. This site is awesome!  O0
Title: Re: Huw The Poo is Awesome!
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 20, 2014, 08:18:02 PM
Quote from: bbmike on July 20, 2014, 06:16:06 PMThis site is awesome!  O0


I promise we did not pay him to say that.



























yet...
Title: Re: Huw The Poo is Awesome!
Post by: Nefaro on July 21, 2014, 09:24:30 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on July 20, 2014, 06:01:46 PM
Crusader Kings II

Nice!  :)
Title: Re: Huw The Poo is Awesome!
Post by: fabius on July 21, 2014, 02:19:14 PM
Please let us know hoe you get on with CK2. I love HoI3, EUIV and Vic2. Just can't seem to get into the combat mechanics of CK2 despite being pumped after watching Vikings series
Title: Re: Huw The Poo is Awesome!
Post by: RooksBailey on July 21, 2014, 02:58:52 PM
Quote from: bbmike on July 20, 2014, 06:16:06 PM
Then I would agree, Huw the Poo is indeed awesome. This site is awesome!  O0

He is also a great Frozen Synapse player.   ;D

You're going to love CK2.  I still consider it one of the finest strategy games ever released.   
Title: Re: Huw The Poo is Awesome!
Post by: KyzBP on July 21, 2014, 03:38:33 PM
Quote from: fabius on July 21, 2014, 02:19:14 PM
Please let us know hoe you get on with CK2. I love HoI3, EUIV and Vic2. Just can't seem to get into the combat mechanics of CK2 despite being pumped after watching Vikings series

It's been frustratingly slow so far.  I REALLY want to dive in but this game appears to be incredibly deep.  I started watching a "Lets Play" but after 6 or 7 minutes I end up diving back into the game only to be overwhelmed again.  This may take some time.
Title: Re: Huw The Poo is Awesome!
Post by: Nefaro on July 21, 2014, 04:27:19 PM
Quote from: KyzBP on July 21, 2014, 03:38:33 PM

It's been frustratingly slow so far.  I REALLY want to dive in but this game appears to be incredibly deep.  I started watching a "Lets Play" but after 6 or 7 minutes I end up diving back into the game only to be overwhelmed again.  This may take some time.

If regular learnin' fails, go to the YouTube tutorial vids.  It's clicked with a lot of people who watched such things, when the stock tutorials failed.


This tutorial series from 'Eviscerator03' looks pretty detailed.  The first vid is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxGrv120bBA


.. and Arumba's videos can not only be entertaining but you can see a good player describe what he's doing.  Here's the first in his series starting on "Noob Island" (aka Ireland) for those who want to see an experienced player's strategies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiSsgu_iMvg


The most difficult thing to figure out is how the program determines succession & inheritance of lands.  They've improved it with all the patches over the years, but it still isn't always clear cut on who gets certain parts of a Duchy, Kingdom, or Empire. 
Title: Re: Huw The Poo is Awesome!
Post by: KyzBP on July 21, 2014, 04:53:15 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 21, 2014, 04:27:19 PM
Quote from: KyzBP on July 21, 2014, 03:38:33 PM

It's been frustratingly slow so far.  I REALLY want to dive in but this game appears to be incredibly deep.  I started watching a "Lets Play" but after 6 or 7 minutes I end up diving back into the game only to be overwhelmed again.  This may take some time.

If regular learnin' fails, go to the YouTube tutorial vids.  It's clicked with a lot of people who watched such things, when the stock tutorials failed.


This tutorial series from 'Eviscerator03' looks pretty detailed.  The first vid is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxGrv120bBA


.. and Arumba's videos can not only be entertaining but you can see a good player describe what he's doing.  Here's the first in his series starting on "Noob Island" (aka Ireland) for those who want to see an experienced player's strategies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiSsgu_iMvg


The most difficult thing to figure out is how the program determines succession & inheritance of lands.  They've improved it with all the patches over the years, but it still isn't always clear cut on who gets certain parts of a Duchy, Kingdom, or Empire.

Thanks Nefaro!  I'll be using those links.  I had already started my game on " Noob Island".  I had no idea that it had been labelled as such.  It just seemed so safe and peaceful.... :smitten:
Title: Re: Huw The Poo is Awesome!
Post by: MetalDog on July 21, 2014, 06:13:34 PM
I hadn't known that either when I started my first game.  Ireland just seemed an out of the way place to make some noise and not get squashed immediately.
Title: Re: Huw The Poo is Awesome!
Post by: fabius on July 21, 2014, 06:48:08 PM
Quote from: KyzBP on July 21, 2014, 03:38:33 PM
Quote from: fabius on July 21, 2014, 02:19:14 PM
Please let us know hoe you get on with CK2. I love HoI3, EUIV and Vic2. Just can't seem to get into the combat mechanics of CK2 despite being pumped after watching Vikings series

It's been frustratingly slow so far.  I REALLY want to dive in but this game appears to be incredibly deep.  I started watching a "Lets Play" but after 6 or 7 minutes I end up diving back into the game only to be overwhelmed again.  This may take some time.

Had to watch some to get into Vic.

Who are you playing as? I remember it's hard to beat the Normans as old One Eye Harold.
Title: Re: Huw The Poo is Awesome!
Post by: KyzBP on July 21, 2014, 07:22:08 PM
Quote from: fabius on July 21, 2014, 06:48:08 PM
Quote from: KyzBP on July 21, 2014, 03:38:33 PM
Quote from: fabius on July 21, 2014, 02:19:14 PM
Please let us know hoe you get on with CK2. I love HoI3, EUIV and Vic2. Just can't seem to get into the combat mechanics of CK2 despite being pumped after watching Vikings series

It's been frustratingly slow so far.  I REALLY want to dive in but this game appears to be incredibly deep.  I started watching a "Lets Play" but after 6 or 7 minutes I end up diving back into the game only to be overwhelmed again.  This may take some time.

Had to watch some to get into Vic.

Who are you playing as? I remember it's hard to beat the Normans as old One Eye Harold.

King Aed of Connacht.  On the face, it doesn't look like I have much to worry about right now.  I'm sure I'm very wrong.
Title: Re: Huw The Poo is Awesome!
Post by: mikeck on July 21, 2014, 07:41:47 PM
No your good. Any province I'm Ireland is a good safe place to start. Best way to learn is just to play. Start clicking on things and seeing what menus pop up. Just remember to put bishops in charge of churches (bishoprics), mayors in charge of cities and lords (nobles) in charge of castles or counties. If you Grant a city to Lord so-and-so, it will tell you. "Wrong holding type". Stuff like that you figure out by doing. Try marrying off a few family members. Maybe marry off a daughter matrilinearly to some counts 3rd son and then assassinate his first 2 sons...just play around. You won't break it
Title: Re: Huw The Poo is Awesome!
Post by: KyzBP on July 21, 2014, 08:27:17 PM
Quote from: mikeck on July 21, 2014, 07:41:47 PM
No your good. Any province I'm Ireland is a good safe place to start. Best way to learn is just to play. Start clicking on things and seeing what menus pop up. Just remember to put bishops in charge of churches (bishoprics), mayors in charge of cities and lords (nobles) in charge of castles or counties. If you Grant a city to Lord so-and-so, it will tell you. "Wrong holding type". Stuff like that you figure out by doing. Try marrying off a few family members. Maybe marry off a daughter matrilinearly to some counts 3rd son and then assassinate his first 2 sons...just play around. You won't break it

Thanks for the suggestions Mike.  All the intrigue is what drew me to this in the first place.  I've just had a hard time with Paradox titles.  As far as my current family goes, I have no wife and one son who, given his traits, won't be legally marrying anyone until 2012.
Title: Re: Huw The Poo is Awesome!
Post by: Nefaro on July 21, 2014, 08:43:27 PM
I'd do the 1066 start, as a novice.  If you do the earlier start (with the Old Gods expansion), you'll also be having to fight off viking raiders (at the least) in addition to the usual stuff. 
Title: Re: Huw The Poo is Awesome!
Post by: KyzBP on July 22, 2014, 01:55:07 PM
I'm sure this kind of stuff happens all the time in CKII but I just ran across something that not only made me smile but leaves me with a tough decision.

My grandson just came of age so I was looking to marry him off and get some heirs lined up.  I found a great potential match with the following traits:

-Brilliant Strategist
-Flanker
-Zealous
-Kind
-Content
-Temperate
-Gregarious

All the above seem to be great traits so I almost pulled the trigger until I saw the last trait...Possessed.  Seriously?  The chick apparently speaks in tongues and spits at random people.

Is this a trait that can be overlooked or should I just change the family name to Manson and just continue on?

Fun game.  Thanks again Huw!
Title: Re: Huw The Poo is Awesome!
Post by: Nefaro on July 22, 2014, 02:15:18 PM
Quote from: KyzBP on July 22, 2014, 01:55:07 PM
I'm sure this kind of stuff happens all the time in CKII but I just ran across something that not only made me smile but leaves me with a tough decision.

My grandson just came of age so I was looking to marry him off and get some heirs lined up.  I found a great potential match with the following traits:

-Brilliant Strategist
-Flanker
-Zealous
-Kind
-Content
-Temperate
-Gregarious

All the above seem to be great traits so I almost pulled the trigger until I saw the last trait...Possessed.  Seriously?  The chick apparently speaks in tongues and spits at random people.

Is this a trait that can be overlooked or should I just change the family name to Manson and just continue on?

Fun game.  Thanks again Huw!

Ahhh yes.  The 'Possessed' trait.  Not a good one to deal with, unless you want some extra comedy.

I believe those are one of the bad traits that can trigger murder plots by the character in question, along with other stuff.  So the crazy bizatch may attempt to do stuff like lock her kids in a car and push it into a lake.  Or whatever passes for the medieval equivalent.  For example.  :P
Title: Re: Huw The Poo is Awesome!
Post by: Huw the Poo on July 22, 2014, 03:09:10 PM
Quote from: KyzBP on July 22, 2014, 01:55:07 PM
Fun game.  Thanks again Huw!

I'm really glad you're enjoying it! :)
Title: Re: Huw The Poo is Awesome!
Post by: undercovergeek on July 22, 2014, 04:29:35 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 22, 2014, 02:15:18 PM
Quote from: KyzBP on July 22, 2014, 01:55:07 PM
I'm sure this kind of stuff happens all the time in CKII but I just ran across something that not only made me smile but leaves me with a tough decision.

My grandson just came of age so I was looking to marry him off and get some heirs lined up.  I found a great potential match with the following traits:

-Brilliant Strategist
-Flanker
-Zealous
-Kind
-Content
-Temperate
-Gregarious

All the above seem to be great traits so I almost pulled the trigger until I saw the last trait...Possessed.  Seriously?  The chick apparently speaks in tongues and spits at random people.

Is this a trait that can be overlooked or should I just change the family name to Manson and just continue on?

Fun game.  Thanks again Huw!

Ahhh yes.  The 'Possessed' trait.  Not a good one to deal with, unless you want some extra comedy.

I believe those are one of the bad traits that can trigger murder plots by the character in question, along with other stuff.  So the crazy bizatch may attempt to do stuff like lock her kids in a car and push it into a lake.  Or whatever passes for the medieval equivalent.  For example.  :P

Posessed opens up all kinds of hilarious sub plots.... child of Satan bringing in witches for your council with unbelievable stats it's a good thing if you can handle the crazy
Title: Re: Huw The Poo is Awesome!
Post by: KyzBP on July 22, 2014, 04:31:24 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on July 22, 2014, 04:29:35 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 22, 2014, 02:15:18 PM
Quote from: KyzBP on July 22, 2014, 01:55:07 PM
I'm sure this kind of stuff happens all the time in CKII but I just ran across something that not only made me smile but leaves me with a tough decision.

My grandson just came of age so I was looking to marry him off and get some heirs lined up.  I found a great potential match with the following traits:

-Brilliant Strategist
-Flanker
-Zealous
-Kind
-Content
-Temperate
-Gregarious

All the above seem to be great traits so I almost pulled the trigger until I saw the last trait...Possessed.  Seriously?  The chick apparently speaks in tongues and spits at random people.

Is this a trait that can be overlooked or should I just change the family name to Manson and just continue on?

Fun game.  Thanks again Huw!

Ahhh yes.  The 'Possessed' trait.  Not a good one to deal with, unless you want some extra comedy.

I believe those are one of the bad traits that can trigger murder plots by the character in question, along with other stuff.  So the crazy bizatch may attempt to do stuff like lock her kids in a car and push it into a lake.  Or whatever passes for the medieval equivalent.  For example.  :P

Posessed opens up all kinds of hilarious sub plots.... child of Satan bringing in witches for your council with unbelievable stats it's a good thing if you can handle the crazy

I've been married for 15 years, I can handle crazy.
Title: Re: Huw The Poo is Awesome!
Post by: undercovergeek on July 22, 2014, 04:36:23 PM
Lmao.... I'm dating an ex lap dancer with crohns disease who is allergic to semen - there's different kinds of crazy  :P  ???
Title: Re: Huw The Poo is Awesome!
Post by: KyzBP on July 22, 2014, 04:43:32 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on July 22, 2014, 04:36:23 PM
Lmao.... I'm dating an ex lap dancer with crohns disease who is allergic to semen - there's different kinds of crazy  :P  ???

I'm absolutely speechless.  I'd be curious to see if anyone tops that.
Title: Re: Huw The Poo is Awesome!
Post by: Huw the Poo on July 22, 2014, 05:19:38 PM
If even half the stories Geek's told me about his girlfriend are true, she's beyond mental!
Title: Re: Huw The Poo is Awesome!
Post by: Kushan on July 22, 2014, 05:43:08 PM
Quote from: KyzBP on July 22, 2014, 01:55:07 PM
I'm sure this kind of stuff happens all the time in CKII but I just ran across something that not only made me smile but leaves me with a tough decision.

My grandson just came of age so I was looking to marry him off and get some heirs lined up.  I found a great potential match with the following traits:

-Brilliant Strategist
-Flanker
-Zealous
-Kind
-Content
-Temperate
-Gregarious

All the above seem to be great traits so I almost pulled the trigger until I saw the last trait...Possessed.  Seriously?  The chick apparently speaks in tongues and spits at random people.

Is this a trait that can be overlooked or should I just change the family name to Manson and just continue on?

Fun game.  Thanks again Huw!


If you only knew....Your in for a real roller coaster ride. Crazy shit happens all the time in CK2. The stuff I've had happen could probably fill a book.

You could probably over look Possessed by itself. BUT IIRC that trait can be one of the precursors to on of the games more interesting event chains.