GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => General Discussion => Topic started by: steve58 on July 23, 2014, 01:33:05 PM

Title: European Hornets anyone?
Post by: steve58 on July 23, 2014, 01:33:05 PM
Anyone had any experience with these buggers?

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fbugguide.net%2Fimages%2Fraw%2FOQ80JQG0OQE0000QL090CRIQYRLQARX03QYKDQX0R0X0NR3KDRP0DRIQ00903QFKFQHQJQX0VR.jpg&hash=36a9f504146e0f52a4c45711ccbbdf4f78041174)

Seems they found a hole in the mortar on the front of my house and have made a nest behind the brickwork. :tickedoff: I've seen conflicting info about what to do about the nest after treatment.  I'm hoping I can just leave it in place without any negative consequences.
Title: Re: European Hornets anyone?
Post by: Centurion40 on July 23, 2014, 01:37:20 PM
Dr. Dawg will tell ya what to do.
Title: Re: European Hornets anyone?
Post by: Martok on July 23, 2014, 02:04:44 PM
Normally, I would lend you my anti-spider flamethrower for the job, but there's already been one house burned down for that this week.  ::) 
Title: Re: European Hornets anyone?
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on July 23, 2014, 03:50:48 PM
Wood wall with brick veneer? If the nest stays there you will have to expect it will mold over time. Grubs will rot. In high humidity the paper material they make will absorb moisture also adding to rot of the wood.

If it were me I would cut out the gyprock from the inside in a 2x2 square, clean out the whole mess, bleach, rinse, dry the wood. seal it all up again from both sides.
Title: Re: European Hornets anyone?
Post by: steve58 on July 23, 2014, 04:50:19 PM
Mr. Bigglesworth, I knew someone was going to say that. :(  Well, I was hoping. :'(  On the bright side, I can access the backside of the nest from the interior of the house (well I'm pretty sure) and we've even been planning on painting in that area.  I've got an exterminator coming by tomorrow for a look-see and I'll probably have him treat the nest.  I'm just going to make sure the little (actually these things are huge!) buggers are 100% dead before I open up that wall!
Title: Re: European Hornets anyone?
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 23, 2014, 06:00:15 PM
Import some Japanese hornets.  They'll make quick work of those puny European hornets.  They're pure evil....in hornet form.
Title: Re: European Hornets anyone?
Post by: GDS_Starfury on July 23, 2014, 06:33:45 PM
Not the Swiss f-18 I was expecting.
Title: Re: European Hornets anyone?
Post by: mirth on July 23, 2014, 06:35:58 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on July 23, 2014, 06:33:45 PM
Not the Swiss f-18 I was expecting.

<chuckle>
Title: Re: European Hornets anyone?
Post by: Staggerwing on July 23, 2014, 06:48:01 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on July 23, 2014, 06:33:45 PM
Not the Swiss f-18 I was expecting.

Same here. Multinational SuperHornets would have been nice...
Title: Re: European Hornets anyone?
Post by: MetalDog on July 23, 2014, 08:41:00 PM
Steve, if there is a way to get the nest out after they are killed, I would certainly do so for all the reasons Mr. B enumerated.  I'd be interested to know what your pest control guy does to get rid of them.
Title: Re: European Hornets anyone?
Post by: steve58 on July 24, 2014, 06:48:54 AM
MD -- thx, I'm thinking I'm not going to have much choice other than to try to remove the nest.  I can access the drywall behind the nest, so I think I'll be putting my somewhat limited drywall experience to a test.

The pest control guy should be here sometime today for a look-see and I think I'm going to have him go ahead and treat the nest.  He mentioned using a dust pesticide (Pyrethrin I think).  He said it should expand throughout the nest.  I'm a bit concerned about having it treated mid-day with a lot of the little suckers away from the nest.  Hopefully the dust will get them when they go home.
Title: Re: European Hornets anyone?
Post by: Windigo on July 28, 2014, 03:52:41 PM
I used a shop vac this spring to clear out several small yellow jacket nests in my shed.... worked like a damn!