GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: steve58 on July 29, 2014, 12:01:06 PM

Title: Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced
Post by: steve58 on July 29, 2014, 12:01:06 PM
Quote
Praised for the quality of its AI, its unique and lively world, and its neat mechanics and streamlined UI, Pandora: First Contact had lot to offer to 4X fans at its release, late 2013. Thanks to patches and a free expansion, the game has become even deeper and more entertaining. Now Proxy-Studios wants to transform Pandora into a darker and secret battlefield; a place where espionage and diplomacy can prevail!

With Eclipse of Nashira, new dangers and opportunities enter the world of Pandora. A new faction shows its face, talking of peace and friendship while their spies operate behind enemy lines. Nothing is what it seems anymore, as agents conduct covert warfare of espionage and sabotage, inciting revolts and stealing technologies. At the same time, another alien species native to the planet has appeared, lurking in the shadows. In order to overcome this new alien menace, the different factions start to expand beyond the planet's landmass to generate more resources, opening up a new frontier.

As the World of Pandora is about to plummet into chaos by warfare, espionage and hostile alien species, it is up to you to lead your people and become the ruler of this promised world.

Enjoy the sun while it shines, because this long eclipse is scheduled for later this year!

http://www.matrixgames.com/news/1482/Pandora:.Eclipse.of.Nashira.Announced!.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/538/details/Pandora:.Eclipse.of.Nashira
Title: Re: Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced
Post by: Boggit on July 29, 2014, 03:21:43 PM
Edited post... When I read it again, I realised that it was advanced warning, not a sudden release...
Title: Re: Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced
Post by: Boggit on July 29, 2014, 03:24:29 PM
FWIW, I think this will be a good add on. I think diplomacy, and non-military means have been a weak point in the game. Hopefully, this add on will address those issues, giving a deeper game experience. :)
Title: Re: Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced
Post by: Wolfe1759 on July 30, 2014, 12:22:43 PM
Looking forward to it but I think the best add on they could do for Pandora would be a manual.
Title: Re: Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced
Post by: Martok on July 30, 2014, 05:44:38 PM
Was happy to see that announcement.  More Pandora is good IMO. 
Title: Re: Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced
Post by: Rayfer on July 31, 2014, 10:55:45 AM
I enjoyed this game but could never accept the random research tech tree concept. I saw forums where the developers defended their decision and I accept it for what it is, but I don't like it at all. Their was little rhyme, reason nor logic to it.  It is a connection of unrelated techs that changes randomly from game to game.  I would love them to change this into something along the lines of what they did in Distant Worlds.
Title: Re: Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced
Post by: Boggit on July 31, 2014, 03:44:11 PM
Quote from: Wolfe1759 on July 30, 2014, 12:22:43 PM
Looking forward to it but I think the best add on they could do for Pandora would be a manual.
They do have a manual, but it's hardly worth the name. It gives instructions to load on 3 operating systems, then an overview of the background game story, and then the stories for the factions. Along the way they forgot to put in anything of practical relevance to a player... :uglystupid2: so yes, a REAL manual wiould definitely be a plus! :o ;)
Title: Re: Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced
Post by: Boggit on July 31, 2014, 03:46:25 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on July 31, 2014, 10:55:45 AM
I enjoyed this game but could never accept the random research tech tree concept. I saw forums where the developers defended their decision and I accept it for what it is, but I don't like it at all. Their was little rhyme, reason nor logic to it.  It is a connection of unrelated techs that changes randomly from game to game.  I would love them to change this into something along the lines of what they did in Distant Worlds.
I share your view here. I wonder if they'll add a fixed tech tree as an option choice in a future update?
Title: Re: Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced
Post by: bbmike on July 31, 2014, 03:51:45 PM
Random research should be optional but not eliminated. I would like to see the Alpha Centauri approach where you pick a field to research (economic, military, etc.) but don't know exactly which tech you will receive. I wish Civilization had that option. Makes for some interesting games.
Title: Re: Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced
Post by: Boggit on July 31, 2014, 03:59:20 PM
Quote from: bbmike on July 31, 2014, 03:51:45 PM
Random research should be optional but not eliminated. I would like to see the Alpha Centauri approach where you pick a field to research (economic, military, etc.) but don't know exactly which tech you will receive. I wish Civilization had that option. Makes for some interesting games.
I agree. It lets players choose how they want to approach tech matters.
Title: Re: Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced
Post by: tgb on July 31, 2014, 07:34:11 PM
Random research worked in Sword of the Stars because it meant that some techs may or may not be available.  Prerequisites made sense. The tech tree in Pandora is a joke, because the "tree" part makes no sense.  They might as well just assign one randomly every time you make a discovery.
Title: Re: Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced
Post by: FarAway Sooner on July 31, 2014, 10:49:34 PM
So it's more like a technology "pile of leaves", then?  That seems kinda bizarre.
Title: Re: Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced
Post by: bbmike on August 01, 2014, 05:22:45 AM
Quote from: FarAway Sooner on July 31, 2014, 10:49:34 PM
So it's more like a technology "pile of leaves", then?  That seems kinda bizarre.

Ideally, no. The tech tree would still be there in order from lower level techs to the higher ones. You just wouldn't get to pick the exact one you want. Instead you pick, say the weapons 'area'. Once you've accumulated enough points you are given one of the weapon technologies (in order, low level first). It could be a better laser, a new type of missle, some type of ECM, etc. You could even narrow the 'area' to research if you wanted to.

Quote from: tgb on July 31, 2014, 07:34:11 PM
Random research worked in Sword of the Stars because it meant that some techs may or may not be available.  Prerequisites made sense. The tech tree in Pandora is a joke, because the "tree" part makes no sense.  They might as well just assign one randomly every time you make a discovery.

SotS is interesting in that it randomizes the tree at the start of the game but you then pick them as you play. I haven't played it much yet but I'm curious to see how well that work. It seems kind of cool that when you play a game you may or may not even get shield technology!
I don't like the Pandora style either. It really does seem like a 'technology pile of leaves'.  ;D

[edit]Sorry FarAway Sooner, I thought you were responding to having random research in general, not specifically to  Pandora. It's early and I haven't had my coffee yet.  :D
Title: Re: Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced
Post by: Martok on August 02, 2014, 01:18:57 PM
Quote from: bbmike on July 31, 2014, 03:51:45 PM
Random research should be optional but not eliminated. I would like to see the Alpha Centauri approach where you pick a field to research (economic, military, etc.) but don't know exactly which tech you will receive. I wish Civilization had that option. Makes for some interesting games.
This is what I would like to see as well.  I agree that in its current iteration, the tech "tree" is...wonky at best.