GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: bboyer66 on July 29, 2014, 03:16:16 PM

Title: The 15 Best Space Combat Sims of all time
Post by: bboyer66 on July 29, 2014, 03:16:16 PM
 Good list

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/12009-The-15-Best-Space-Combat-Sims-of-All-Time

Freespace 2 would be my #1
Title: Re: The 15 Best Space Combat Sims of all time
Post by: Boggit on July 29, 2014, 03:36:41 PM
Hey Bryan! :) Good to see you posting here! O0
Title: Re: The 15 Best Space Combat Sims of all time
Post by: bboyer66 on July 29, 2014, 03:43:45 PM
I pop up on occasion ;)
Title: Re: The 15 Best Space Combat Sims of all time
Post by: Boggit on July 29, 2014, 03:50:39 PM
Quote from: bboyer66 on July 29, 2014, 03:43:45 PM
I pop up on occasion ;)
O0

BTW, Do you have a favourite Space sim? I tend towards strategy as I'm usually a suicide mission in almost any flying sim. I did enjoy Elite on the Spectrum 48K back in the day, but things have moved on. I've been getting involved in the X universe by Egosoft, but even there I'm often getting my butt kicked. :o ;)
Title: Re: The 15 Best Space Combat Sims of all time
Post by: Shelldrake on July 29, 2014, 03:52:56 PM
Nice list. I have played most of those games and have fond memories, except for Elite which was an endless source fo frustration for me on my Commodore 64 - I could never dock with the damn space station!  :tickedoff:
Title: Re: The 15 Best Space Combat Sims of all time
Post by: endfire79 on July 29, 2014, 03:53:13 PM
I lost a lot of studying time playing both X-Wing and then TIE Fighter, now those were well done.
Title: Re: The 15 Best Space Combat Sims of all time
Post by: Jarhead0331 on July 29, 2014, 04:14:38 PM
Definitely a nice list. I wouldn't change much, except some of the ordering. I would also have probably done a top 20 list and added a few to the list, such as X3, Independence War, Klingon Academy, Starshatter 2.0, and Terminus.
Title: Re: The 15 Best Space Combat Sims of all time
Post by: endfire79 on July 29, 2014, 04:21:41 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 29, 2014, 04:14:38 PM
Klingon Academy

That was a nice one.  The big ship aspect was cool for Star Trek at the time, and it was really cool to be able to hide from ships in asteroid belts, rings of planets.  I think I still have the dvds somewhere.
Title: Re: The 15 Best Space Combat Sims of all time
Post by: steve58 on July 29, 2014, 05:03:14 PM
Had 14 out of 15.  Don't remember getting Rogue Squadron and not sure how I missed it!  I re-picked up Freespace 2 from GoG sometime ago meaning to try out some of the nods...just not enough time.  :(
Title: Re: The 15 Best Space Combat Sims of all time
Post by: SirAndrewD on July 29, 2014, 05:46:50 PM
Good list, I agree with #1, but would've had Freespace 2 higher up. 

We really, really need a new TIE Fighter game.  I mean seriously, those rebels terrorists aren't going to kill themselves.
Title: Re: The 15 Best Space Combat Sims of all time
Post by: RedArgo on July 29, 2014, 06:35:29 PM
X-Wing and Tie fighter were great games.  The day I blew up the Death Star was the day I got me first real job after college, the game has much better memories.
Title: Re: The 15 Best Space Combat Sims of all time
Post by: Bison on July 29, 2014, 07:11:29 PM
I really enjoyed Freelancer.
Title: Re: The 15 Best Space Combat Sims of all time
Post by: GDS_Starfury on July 29, 2014, 11:10:11 PM
a very well deserved #1 spot for Tie Fighter.

admit it... the sound of Imperial lasers is soooo much better then anything else.
Title: Re: The 15 Best Space Combat Sims of all time
Post by: SirAndrewD on July 29, 2014, 11:16:52 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on July 29, 2014, 11:10:11 PM
a very well deserved #1 spot for Tie Fighter.

admit it... the sound of Imperial lasers is soooo much better then anything else.

The screams of the Rebel scum as they're voided into space is pretty sweet as well.
Title: Re: The 15 Best Space Combat Sims of all time
Post by: GDS_Starfury on July 29, 2014, 11:40:01 PM
I really dont know why the BF version was included.  I didnt think it was all that for space combat.
Title: Re: The 15 Best Space Combat Sims of all time
Post by: Huw the Poo on July 30, 2014, 01:53:25 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on July 29, 2014, 11:40:01 PM
I really dont know why the BF version was included.  I didnt think it was all that for space combat.

It's a shocking list really, but these clickbait things always are.
Title: Re: The 15 Best Space Combat Sims of all time
Post by: Staggerwing on July 30, 2014, 05:18:55 AM
It's sad that Tie-Fighter is now lost somewhere in Disney IP-acquisition hel. It would be terrific if it ended up on GOG at some point.
Title: Re: The 15 Best Space Combat Sims of all time
Post by: DoctorQuest on July 30, 2014, 09:43:46 AM
Sigh..... I gotta make a plug for one close to my heart.

www.wcsaga.com.

They may not have been looking at indie games.
Title: Re: The 15 Best Space Combat Sims of all time
Post by: spelk on July 30, 2014, 02:03:12 PM
Those in the list are really all from a similar sort of era. There are no more progressive indie titles that have come out since. And I suppose that's fine if its a nostalgia retrospective set in that era, but I'd have liked to see some of the new crowd included in the list.

In 2009 I did a round up of the best that was available

http://spelkzero.blogspot.co.uk/2009/05/space-combat-sims.html

I'd also recommend SpaceSimCentral if you want to keep abreast of more current events in the Space Combat Sim games genre nowadays.

http://spacesimcentral.com/ssc/page/articles.html