GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Asid on July 31, 2014, 06:18:44 PM

Title: Free TrackIR Alternative
Post by: Asid on July 31, 2014, 06:18:44 PM
Heres a FREE alternative to TrackIR

Face Track NoIR
http://facetracknoir.sourceforge.net/home/default.htm (http://facetracknoir.sourceforge.net/home/default.htm)
Title: Re: Free TrackIR Alternative
Post by: Shelldrake on July 31, 2014, 06:54:59 PM
Looks interesting. Anyone tried it yet?
Title: Re: Free TrackIR Alternative
Post by: Asid on July 31, 2014, 06:57:08 PM
A buddy of mine did in DCS Huey and he said it was great :)
Title: Re: Free TrackIR Alternative
Post by: Shelldrake on August 01, 2014, 06:02:10 AM
Quote from: Asid on July 31, 2014, 06:57:08 PM
A buddy of mine did in DCS Huey and he said it was great :)

Thanks. Time to pick up a webcam for my gaming rig! :)
Title: Re: Free TrackIR Alternative
Post by: DoctorQuest on August 01, 2014, 06:05:22 AM
I am going to give this a shot on my webcam equipped laptop. What the heck!

Thanks for the link.
Title: Re: Free TrackIR Alternative
Post by: Asid on August 01, 2014, 06:42:26 AM
This has been out for a while but is much improved. When i first tried it i had to remove the ir filter in my cam if i remember correctly but that was a long time ago.

You must take your time and set it up properly and not have any lights shining directly into the cam.

The good thing is most people have a webcam kicking around somewhere so can try it for free :)

Regards
Title: Re: Free TrackIR Alternative
Post by: Staggerwing on August 01, 2014, 06:44:46 AM
The site says it works with the iSight cams. Most of those are built into the laptop or iMac screens so hopefully no removal of IR filters is needed.
Title: Re: Free TrackIR Alternative
Post by: Asid on August 01, 2014, 06:57:02 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on August 01, 2014, 06:44:46 AM
The site says it works with the iSight cams. Most of those are built into the laptop or iMac screens so hopefully no removal of IR filters is needed.

I have TrackIR so haven't looked at Face Track for a long time. I remembered about it after reading some comments on this forum about TrackIR so i thought i would share :)

Regards
Title: Re: Free TrackIR Alternative
Post by: Father Ted on August 01, 2014, 10:47:27 AM
You have to take out the IR filter if you're going to track IRLEDs (as with TrackIR).  I used Freetrack for quite a while - webcam + headset-mounted IRLEDs.  As I understand it FaceTrackNoIR actually tracks your face, so no filter removal necessary but good lighting is required.

Incidentally it is well worth hunting down a PS3 Eye cam.  They run at 120 fps as opposed to the webcam's 30, so give a smoother response. The only caveat is that they don't always work with a PC.  Mine didn't with my new rig, hence upgrade to TrackIR.
Title: Re: Free TrackIR Alternative
Post by: Yskonyn on August 01, 2014, 01:46:15 PM
I too have used freetrack for a while, but I wasn't happy with it at all. Far too much fiddling to get it right.
I have been using TrackIR 4 for years now and I am glad I did buy it.