Interesting....this article seems to suggest a new version of FPS football will be returning prior to the start of the season...what is not clear is whether it is just an online version.....very interested to see what this turns out to be....please be an offline version, but I highly suspect it will be online browser kind of game.
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/153746/front-page-sports-football-returning
http://www.cyanide-studio.com/games/FPSF/
Front Page Sports Football Returning
[Jul 31, 2014, 7:42 pm ET] - Post a Comment
Cyanide Studio announces the upcoming return of Front Page Sports Football, though it's not clear if this is the online version of the tackle football series they showed off almost five years ago, as they call it "one of the most rich and detailed sport management games on PC." They say this will be released in time for the football season (opening night is September 4th), and here's all they are saying about it for now:
Football fever about to kick into full swing, and while you prepare to gorge yourself on the games and fantasy football, Cyanide is bringing back a blast from the past for you to enjoy this season: Front Page Sports Football! This classic American Football PC video game license from back in the 90's is now being brought back to life as one of the most rich and detailed sport management games on PC.
With Front Page Sports Football players will be able to manage a US football team of their creation and make all the decisions that a real manager or coach would make during a season. Just like every other general manager, players will compose the best team (from the draft, signing free agents and the like, as well as manage many other details like morale, affinity, finances, training sessions, etc.
At the same time players will fill the role of coach, setting a game plan for every match through a playbook of over 2,300 unique plays. They will also have access to a range of orders and actions to improve management of the team. Players can also watch full 2D or 3D replays of their game and consult a wide range of statistics to improve his team moves, anticipate the reaction of his challengers, and much more.
Some other links.....maybe a offline PC game after all? Too good to be true....I know they will disappoint me somehow:)
http://fansided.com/2014/07/31/cyanide-announces-return-front-page-sports-football/
https://www.facebook.com/FrontPageFootball
I'll certainly be watching this.
I am really hoping it turns out to be true and not some knock-off or browser game...the screen shot they had in one of the links makes me think browser game for some reason, but I hope I am wrong. Does concern me though that there hasn't been one piece of information leaked before now for an extremely popular remake of a game from the pas coming out within the month. One would think there would have been a lot of hype...so that scares me.
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on August 02, 2014, 05:49:27 AM
I am really hoping it turns out to be true and not some knock-off or browser game...the screen shot they had in one of the links makes me think browser game for some reason, but I hope I am wrong. Does concern me though that there hasn't been one piece of information leaked before now for an extremely popular remake of a game from the pas coming out within the month. One would think there would have been a lot of hype...so that scares me.
These games had/have a very loyal following. You would think the developers would be shouting from the rooftops about this. The Facebook page only had about 150 likes. A browser game would be depressing. I'm going to take a wait and see approach on this but I will be following it intently. A
If it's online only then they can keep it.
Quote from: KyzBP on August 02, 2014, 08:51:29 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on August 02, 2014, 05:49:27 AM
I am really hoping it turns out to be true and not some knock-off or browser game...the screen shot they had in one of the links makes me think browser game for some reason, but I hope I am wrong. Does concern me though that there hasn't been one piece of information leaked before now for an extremely popular remake of a game from the pas coming out within the month. One would think there would have been a lot of hype...so that scares me.
These games had/have a very loyal following. You would think the developers would be shouting from the rooftops about this. The Facebook page only had about 150 likes. A browser game would be depressing. I'm going to take a wait and see approach on this but I will be following it intently. A
Can't be many likes on Facebook if nobody knows about this coming out:) That is the whole scary part....you think if they were proud of it, it would have been in the press all along.....I'll remain skeptical so I won't be too disappointed when it fails to meet my needs:)
I did find this old link from a few years back when they bought the license...at that time they advertised it as a free to play online game.....let's hope they changed direction.
http://www.cyanide-studio.com/games/others/frontpage-football/
Front Page Sports was a popular American Football PC video game licence back in the 90'. In 2009, Cyanide brings the licence back to life with this free-to-play browser-based sport management game which will put the player in the role of a a virtual head coach in charge of recruiting players, dealing with his players' injuries... but at the same time setting a game plan, writing the playbook.
Among three proposed championships (Non-professional, University or Professional), the player will have access to a range of orders and actions that will help him prepare each daily leg. Compose the best team (draft, free agents...), take care of its finances, manage training sessions...: numerous possibilities will surely keep the player busy.
don't know if this will interest anyone but you can get Football mogul 2012 free by just signing up for there newsletter.
http://www.sportsmogul.com/games/football2k12.html
I don't play these games enough to invest into it, i usually run a season or 2 around NFL time.
I've played Goalline Blitz (http://glb.warriorgeneral.com/) for awhile. It's an Online Football RPG. It was fun when some friends and I put a team together but it eventually fizzled. I just can't stay interested in online games long enough to want to invest money in them.
Notable exception:
Horse Racing Park (http://horseracingpark.com/index.aspx): I pumped well over a G or 2 into that game over the course of about 7 years. There's money to be made there...just not by me. :-[
Quote from: -budd- on August 02, 2014, 09:56:58 AM
don't know if this will interest anyone but you can get Football mogul 2012 free by just signing up for there newsletter.
http://www.sportsmogul.com/games/football2k12.html
I don't play these games enough to invest into it, i usually run a season or 2 around NFL time.
Sadly, seems to be a very disappointing series.....that company never seems to really evolve their products, especially the football game. But FREE is FREE :)
Quote from: KyzBP on August 02, 2014, 10:00:39 AM
I've played Goalline Blitz (http://glb.warriorgeneral.com/) for awhile. It's an Online Football RPG. It was fun when some friends and I put a team together but it eventually fizzled. I just can't stay interested in online games long enough to want to invest money in them.
Notable exception:
Horse Racing Park (http://horseracingpark.com/index.aspx): I pumped well over a G or 2 into that game over the course of about 7 years. There's money to be made there...just not by me. :-[
I am not much a of a multiplayer game person, much prefer to play solo....I guess if the browser version allowed you to play against an AI and not others, could peak my curiosity....but if against other players, just not my typical thing, especially for sports games.
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on August 02, 2014, 10:01:32 AM
Quote from: -budd- on August 02, 2014, 09:56:58 AM
don't know if this will interest anyone but you can get Football mogul 2012 free by just signing up for there newsletter.
http://www.sportsmogul.com/games/football2k12.html
I don't play these games enough to invest into it, i usually run a season or 2 around NFL time.
Sadly, seems to be a very disappointing series.....that company never seems to really evolve their products, especially the football game. But FREE is FREE :)
I don't play them enough to notice... I usually never make through the second season before getting bored. I'm just an NFL junkie and my routine is to give it a try around this time each year...next year 2013 will probably be free.
"Bring on the NFL" ...lets get it on ....... did i mention we're the defending CHAMPS O0 ..... back to my fantasy football research, my draft is next weekend.
I have to throw a flag down on this one- a giant red warning flag.
The developers are promising the stars (management, play creation, play calling, and 3D presentation). Unfortunately, they are one month out from release and there is only one screen shot on the website. There is virtually no press or solid information on the game. That all adds up to nearly zero, which is what I think the chances are of this game even coming close to being a true successor to FPSFB. My guess is that they will release a buggy management simulation with the actual 3D part released "later" as a "patch". Then of course the promised features never materialize.
In order to make a cool football simulation with a 3D field and animated players, that requires the efforts of a large development team with tons of resources. If they really put serious resources into this effort, the advertising budget would be greater than zero. Think about it- if the game was worth a poop, they would be dumb not to show it off to anyone. Watch this baby crash and burn quickly upon "release".
Quote from: Swatter on August 02, 2014, 01:58:31 PM
I have to throw a flag down on this one- a giant red warning flag.
The developers are promising the stars (management, play creation, play calling, and 3D presentation). Unfortunately, they are one month out from release and there is only one screen shot on the website. There is virtually no press or solid information on the game. That all adds up to nearly zero, which is what I think the chances are of this game even coming close to being a true successor to FPSFB. My guess is that they will release a buggy management simulation with the actual 3D part released "later" as a "patch". Then of course the promised features never materialize.
In order to make a cool football simulation with a 3D field and animated players, that requires the efforts of a large development team with tons of resources. If they really put serious resources into this effort, the advertising budget would be greater than zero. Think about it- if the game was worth a poop, they would be dumb not to show it off to anyone. Watch this baby crash and burn quickly upon "release".
I am skeptical as well but does depend on how long it has been in development...there were rumors of a browser version being worked on back in 2009 and it had a number of other screenshots. If this turns out to be the browser version then they have had at least 5 years to work on it......who knows, maybe they just took the core engie of the previous version and "prettied it up".
What throws me off a little is in their announcement it specifically mentions coming to your "PC"...if it was a browser version, not sure why they would mention a specific type of device since most browser games can be played on any platform.
At the end of the day I am setting my expectations low and hope that I will be pleasantly surprised.....I don't need a game as pretty as madden, nor as complex as front office football....just need something that reasonably resembles American football that is fun to play.
I guess we'll see in a month or so....
Quote from: Swatter on August 02, 2014, 01:58:31 PM
I have to throw a flag down on this one- a giant red warning flag.
The developers are promising the stars (management, play creation, play calling, and 3D presentation). Unfortunately, they are one month out from release and there is only one screen shot on the website. There is virtually no press or solid information on the game. That all adds up to nearly zero, which is what I think the chances are of this game even coming close to being a true successor to FPSFB. My guess is that they will release a buggy management simulation with the actual 3D part released "later" as a "patch". Then of course the promised features never materialize.
In order to make a cool football simulation with a 3D field and animated players, that requires the efforts of a large development team with tons of resources. If they really put serious resources into this effort, the advertising budget would be greater than zero. Think about it- if the game was worth a poop, they would be dumb not to show it off to anyone. Watch this baby crash and burn quickly upon "release".
This reminds me of Sacred 3, being released four days early, BEFORE the reviewers get a chance to warn people away.
Brand recognition can be a wonderful thing, if you're Lexus, or Coca-Cola, or Maytag, or even Sacred....but....if you use that brand recognition to sell a bullshit product, then you're going to suffer.
In this case, Cyanide will spend all the brand capital from Front Page Sports Football, and game I LOVED for years, just to turn a quick profit. They will ruin the legacy of one of the greatest franchises ever in doing so.
...aaaaand it is completely legal for them to do so, as they purchased the rights to the name. The folks that owned the rights get a little cash, Cyanide gets a lot of cash, and all the purchasers of the new game get f*cked.
I think the legacy of the FPS series was already a smoking crater, thanks to the last couple of iterations of it. Not much left to ruin.
Only 99 was unfinished crap, 98 and earlier were fine. They apparently wanted to remake Madden with 99, epic fail. I'm looking forward to see what this is about, I liked Bloodbowl, played turn based it was very representative of the board game. Also look at a failed kickstarter called Dynasty Football, looks a lot like the spiritual descendant of FPS. I don't know whether the guy writing it was going to continue but he was looking for help with the graphics end.
No matter what this game turns out to be, it will never be as good as the old game in the eyes of the huge supporters back then:) Let's face it back in the 90's PC games where just hitting their stride and a gamer back then did not have as high expectations as nowadays, nor did they have all the media/forums to critique it like happens today. I wonder how well the game would be received and talked about if it was just released now?
I was a fan of the original game back then and even remember driving hours to pick it up at a computer store...
I also really enjoyed the two football titles from Microsports, All-American College Football and NFL Pro League Football...also really liked Microleague Football back then....boy, there really were some good titles back then and multiple choices:)
Either way, I continue to remain cautious but hopeful that somehow this won't be huge disappointment....
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on August 03, 2014, 07:00:02 PM
Either way, I continue to remain cautious but hopeful that somehow this won't be huge disappointment....
Yep.
I'm not gonna go bashing it before I've seen it. Obviously it will cause some ire just by using the name alone, but hopefully it won't be a total wreck or an impostor.
Quote from: reapagan on August 03, 2014, 06:44:59 PM
Only 99 was unfinished crap, 98 and earlier were fine. They apparently wanted to remake Madden with 99, epic fail. I'm looking forward to see what this is about, I liked Bloodbowl, played turn based it was very representative of the board game. Also look at a failed kickstarter called Dynasty Football, looks a lot like the spiritual descendant of FPS. I don't know whether the guy writing it was going to continue but he was looking for help with the graphics end.
98 was fine, 99 was sold in stores so badly flawed that it wouldn't even boot. Seriously..they sold thousands of copies of a game that wouldn't run after installation.
I had to fight like hell to get my money back..the f*cktard at Software Plus said no refunds..and I make him check with his distributor, when he was finally informed that it was safe to return ALL copies of this POS to them.
Quote from: DennisS on August 04, 2014, 04:54:07 PM
Quote from: reapagan on August 03, 2014, 06:44:59 PM
Only 99 was unfinished crap, 98 and earlier were fine. They apparently wanted to remake Madden with 99, epic fail. I'm looking forward to see what this is about, I liked Bloodbowl, played turn based it was very representative of the board game. Also look at a failed kickstarter called Dynasty Football, looks a lot like the spiritual descendant of FPS. I don't know whether the guy writing it was going to continue but he was looking for help with the graphics end.
98 was fine, 99 was sold in stores so badly flawed that it wouldn't even boot. Seriously..they sold thousands of copies of a game that wouldn't run after installation.
I had to fight like hell to get my money back..the f*cktard at Software Plus said no refunds..and I make him check with his distributor, when he was finally informed that it was safe to return ALL copies of this POS to them.
Be thankful it wouldn't boot for you. That was the *best* possible outcome. ;-)
So it is looking promising that it will actually be a pc based game, not browser. On another site a person indicated they received the following email which states it will be released on steam and states it as a solo version. In addition on their facebook page, a person from their company reiterated it will be pc based as they also confirmed there would be no iPad version. Still looking forward to more details but at least this part is good news, assuming it is accurate.
The email...
Football fever about to kick into full swing, and while you prepare to gorge yourself on the games and fantasy football, we are bringing back a blast from the past for you to enjoy this season: Front Page Sports Football!
With Front Page Sports Football you will be able to manage a US football team of your creation and make all the decisions that a real manager or coach would make during a season. Just like every other general manager, you will have to compose the best team (from the draft, signing free agents and the like, as well as manage many other details like morale, affinity, finances, training sessions, etc).
At the same time you will fill the role of coach, setting a game plan for every match through a playbook of over 2,300 unique plays. You will also have access to a range of orders and actions to improve management of your team. You will also be able to watch full 2D or 3D replays of your game and consult a wide range of statistics to improve your team moves, anticipate the reaction of your challengers, and much more.
The new solo version of Front Page Sports Football is coming soon on Steam, just in time for the upcoming football season! You can check out a first look at the game interface on our brand new facebook page.
Are you sure this isn't the same people who re-did WWI Gold and are just re-doing Maximum Football? :D
Quote from: bbmike on August 06, 2014, 05:19:47 AM
Are you sure this isn't the same people who re-did WWI Gold and are just re-doing Maximum Football? :D
Don't jinx this news, at least until it comes out....I already have a suspicion I will be disappointed but want to remain blindly hopeful until then:)
As for maximum football, that is probably the only football game I never played...just so many knocks on it made me afraid to try. If maybe it ever is on sale for the weekly deal, may have to try it just to see it play:)
Really want this or another company to make a good FM like American Football game. Whoever picks it up first please post impressions :coolsmiley:
Quote from: fabius on August 06, 2014, 08:37:25 AM
Really want this or another company to make a good FM like American Football game. Whoever picks it up first please post impressions :coolsmiley:
I'll probably jump right in. If that email notification holds any water, it's supposed to have all the career sim facets. Just how detailed they are has yet to be seen. It's rather alarming that there aren't many promo screenshots or other info out there yet but maybe we'll get a surprise. Worth a shot, I suppose.
I had recently been thinking of getting
Second and Ten but it doesn't really have a multi-season career mode nor any proper Free Agency or Contract Negotiation and other such things. Sure, you can shoehorn the most basic rookie draft stuff in from season-to-season, with a lot of work, but it still looks like a pain in the ass for such thin results. Maybe I'll pick up the Golf career sim from Wolverine Studios (on Steam now) instead and just get Front Page when it releases. I probably shouldn't get anything right now since I've not played a digital game in about a week for various reasons, but that wouldn't fit my game collecting addiction. :))
Hopefully somebody can quickly mod in the logos, helmets, etc.
Screenshot from Gamershell:
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gamershell.com%2Fstatic%2Fscreenshots%2F73723%2F872063_full.jpg&hash=6c358684547be76828b08cb371039270f643bfce)
http://www.gamershell.com/news_167115.html
An article with five screenshots..... from '09.... that look the same. ???
http://www.gamingnexus.com/Article/Front-Page-Sports-Football/Item2428.aspx
That article says 30 day season and no direct control during game. Hope that doesn't mean that all plays are set before each match.
Quote from: fabius on August 06, 2014, 09:35:37 AM
That article says 30 day season and no direct control during game. Hope that doesn't mean that all plays are set before each match.
I think that might be the case since all current information says you can watch replays but none of them ever say you can call the actual plays. This is how I play front office football so not overly concerned for me.
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on August 06, 2014, 09:56:16 AM
Quote from: fabius on August 06, 2014, 09:35:37 AM
That article says 30 day season and no direct control during game. Hope that doesn't mean that all plays are set before each match.
I think that might be the case since all current information says you can watch replays but none of them ever say you can call the actual plays. This is how I play front office football so not overly concerned for me.
Same. I don't call the plays in career sims.
Hopefully the GM stuff has enough meat to it. I fear that Cyanide may have just let this sit in the background for years and not given it much attention. I'd like to think they took all that time to tweak and add stuff under the hood but judging by the lack of advancements for the AI over the multitude of Blood Bowl versions, it's probably not the case.
Ah man, calling the plays was part of the fun for me when I played a sim way back in the late 80s. The tension was on making the calls and seeing how the X's ran the ball.
Quote from: Nefaro on August 06, 2014, 11:43:51 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on August 06, 2014, 09:56:16 AM
Quote from: fabius on August 06, 2014, 09:35:37 AM
That article says 30 day season and no direct control during game. Hope that doesn't mean that all plays are set before each match.
I think that might be the case since all current information says you can watch replays but none of them ever say you can call the actual plays. This is how I play front office football so not overly concerned for me.
Same. I don't call the plays in career sims.
Hopefully the GM stuff has enough meat to it. I fear that Cyanide may have just let this sit in the background for years and not given it much attention. I'd like to think they took all that time to tweak and add stuff under the hood but judging by the lack of advancements for the AI over the multitude of Blood Bowl versions, it's probably not the case.
The GM side of things was pretty thin in the earlier FPS games. Calling (and designing) plays always seemed to be the core of the series.
My biggest worry about it is the fact it is Cyanide doing the development. Not someone I'd trust to give it the love it needs.
Quote from: vyshka on August 06, 2014, 03:45:50 PM
My biggest worry about it is the fact it is Cyanide doing the development. Not someone I'd trust to give it the love it needs.
Agreed. Blood Bowl sucked initially, but it has finally be patched to be reasonably good.
Quote from: fabius on August 06, 2014, 08:37:25 AM
Really want this or another company to make a good FM like American Football game. Whoever picks it up first please post impressions :coolsmiley:
Regardless of my caution, I am a sucker for all American football games so little doubt I will pick this up on release:) Assuming it doesn't cost something crazy.....
After seeing the screenshots and possible info from the past articles, I am trying to go into this with the right mindset....I think the FPS title is just a name and likely won't mirror the old game of the past...and I am ok with that. Just looking for a reasonably good football game that plays pretty realistic and fun to play....if it does that, I will be a happy customer regardless of what they call it or who developed the game.
Its good to see some screenshots, so I will scale back my criticism some. Although, the lack of active advertising is worrying.
Quote from: Swatter on August 06, 2014, 07:09:44 PM
Its good to see some screenshots, so I will scale back my criticism some. Although, the lack of active advertising is worrying.
That is the strangest part of the whole thing, whether the game is good or bad, very rare to see a game like this be released with absolutely no advertising when they plan to release within the next month. It either means they are very confident in their product or they are hiding it until the last very possible moment hoping enough people on steam just buy it based on its name upon release:)
One more quick thing, saw this on their facebook page, a response from a rep about release date and method.......
"Hi! The game is not available yet. It will be downloadable on Steam in September"
Interesting how they got the name :)
Back in 2009, Cyanide released a web based version of Front Page Sports Football, but don't be mistaken, this wasn't a remake of the Sierra Online versions many of us played in the 90's. In fact, in 2009, when we interviewed the Producer, Régis Robin, he had this to say:
Quote:
Operation Sports: First off, the question everyone is wondering, is this game related to the old Front Page Sports Football series?
Régis Robin: It is related in terms of the name and "core values". We are fans of the series and so we aimed to create a game which focused on strategy and management instead of requiring proficiency with a gamepad. When looking for a name, we discovered that the original Dynamix trademark had expired and so "Front Page Sports Football" was reborn.
Quote from: challerain on August 06, 2014, 08:03:49 PM
Interesting how they got the name :)
Back in 2009, Cyanide released a web based version of Front Page Sports Football, but don't be mistaken, this wasn't a remake of the Sierra Online versions many of us played in the 90's. In fact, in 2009, when we interviewed the Producer, Régis Robin, he had this to say:
Quote:
Operation Sports: First off, the question everyone is wondering, is this game related to the old Front Page Sports Football series?
Régis Robin: It is related in terms of the name and "core values". We are fans of the series and so we aimed to create a game which focused on strategy and management instead of requiring proficiency with a gamepad. When looking for a name, we discovered that the original Dynamix trademark had expired and so "Front Page Sports Football" was reborn.
When you say "we" interviewed him, who exactly did the interview (or what site) and do you have a link to the full interview?
Sorry...pulled that from the Operation Sports web site. They did the interview.
Here is the interview from 2009
http://www.operationsports.com/features/962/frontpage-sports-football-interview/ (http://www.operationsports.com/features/962/frontpage-sports-football-interview/)
Here is the post on the Operation Sports website. Mostly the same data as here but they do say they are trying to get another interview.
http://www.operationsports.com/forums/other-football-games/754043-front-page-sports-football-set-arrive-just-time-upcoming-season.html (http://www.operationsports.com/forums/other-football-games/754043-front-page-sports-football-set-arrive-just-time-upcoming-season.html)
Quote from: challerain on August 06, 2014, 08:48:24 PM
Sorry...pulled that from the Operation Sports web site. They did the interview.
Here is the interview from 2009
http://www.operationsports.com/features/962/frontpage-sports-football-interview/ (http://www.operationsports.com/features/962/frontpage-sports-football-interview/)
Here is the post on the Operation Sports website. Mostly the same data as here but they do say they are trying to get another interview.
http://www.operationsports.com/forums/other-football-games/754043-front-page-sports-football-set-arrive-just-time-upcoming-season.html (http://www.operationsports.com/forums/other-football-games/754043-front-page-sports-football-set-arrive-just-time-upcoming-season.html)
Thank you, appreciate the information, back then the developer seems to use a lot of soccer/football terms like match and transfers in describing the game, hopefully they polished that up a bit:) If the game has the kind of functions it described but in a single player experience, could be pretty interesting. I just hope all the training and other prep work is not overly tedious.....
Looks like they are updating their facebook pages with nuggets of info....first up is some info on game plans....hopefully they release some new info each day so you may want to check back.
https://www.facebook.com/FrontPageFootball
The Gameplan and the playbook are certainly your best weapons towards win in Front Page Sports Football!
The gameplan will allow you to fix your main tactical choices for next game. A gameplan is kept from game to game, but can be changed whenever you want.
You will also have to choose the offensive and defensive plays which your team applies during its games. And you'll be able to tweak it even during the matches, in reply to your oponent play!
To be a good coach, you'll have to find the strategy that is in perfect harmony with the capabilities of your selected players.
More infos coming soon with the official website!
QuoteYou will also have to choose the offensive and defensive plays which your team applies during its games. And you'll be able to tweak it even during the matches, in reply to your oponent play!
That doesn't sound too bad. The ridiculous percentage tables for setting up play-calling, in Front Office Football, is just jarringly non-immersive. Hopefully this comes across better.
Quote from: Nefaro on August 08, 2014, 08:03:46 AM
QuoteYou will also have to choose the offensive and defensive plays which your team applies during its games. And you'll be able to tweak it even during the matches, in reply to your oponent play!
That doesn't sound too bad. The ridiculous percentage tables for setting up play-calling, in Front Office Football, is just jarringly non-immersive. Hopefully this comes across better.
I think I'd like it better if you, as GM, hire the Head Coach and O and D Coordinators and THEY create your weekly game plan.
Quote from: KyzBP on August 08, 2014, 09:00:45 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on August 08, 2014, 08:03:46 AM
QuoteYou will also have to choose the offensive and defensive plays which your team applies during its games. And you'll be able to tweak it even during the matches, in reply to your oponent play!
That doesn't sound too bad. The ridiculous percentage tables for setting up play-calling, in Front Office Football, is just jarringly non-immersive. Hopefully this comes across better.
I think I'd like it better if you, as GM, hire the Head Coach and O and D Coordinators and THEY create your weekly game plan.
Sure, but that was never the focus of the Front Page Sports Football games. The GM stuff was very light, while the game really pushed play calling and game management and play design.
Latest update on their facebook page.....
https://www.facebook.com/FrontPageFootball
In Front Page Sports Football, you will be able to create your own gameplan with a detailed tool ingame, but you can also use premade strategies.
Let's start with 'Power Football', an offensive tactic:
It is built on powerfull running and requires several strong and fast halfbacks. The passing game is secondary and mainly uses the tight ends. Discover on the picture some of the plays you'll find in the 'Power Football' playbook!
Stay tuned for more gameplans and plays every weeks on this facebook page!
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1117.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fk592%2FGrimReaper42%2FGames%2Ffps1.png&hash=357c02879ecd67b2bba68c06bd52ffa4233017d9)
Official web site launched, pretty much same info....does mention release in autom 2014....i thnk autom starts around sept 23, but could be wrong
http://www.frontpage-sportsfootball.com
The developers responded to a post on Facebook indicating the game will be released by the end of September.....specific date still forthcoming.
Wonder what the price will be. I get the impression it's not as deep as something like FOF7, so perhaps it won't be terribly expensive.
Quote from: Nefaro on September 10, 2014, 03:00:29 PM
Wonder what the price will be. I get the impression it's not as deep as something like FOF7, so perhaps it won't be terribly expensive.
No idea, but my guess is $19.99.....I think they will likely go after quantity versus quality:)
Release date confirmed for September 25th....bunch of new screenshots. Still highly skeptical of this game but will still be a day one purchase unless the price is crazy:)
http://www.frontpage-sportsfootball.com/medias.html
Wow. Last time I played FPSF it was, what, 1994? Good to know this is on the way.
I'm more intrigued than before after seeing those screenshots.
The non-native English is shining through in some areas and the web page, however. I still wonder how polished this will be.
Also hoping someone mods the official teams and players in before long.
And they announced the price will be $19.99 just as I kind of suspected....based on that, pretty much confirms a day one purchase, $19 worth the risk that it actually might be playable and something different:)
Yeah, my hopes are really too high now for this. We've been without a good PC football game for a while now. I hope you can mod it easily. Did we ever figure out if this is brand new or an overhaul of the original engine?
Quote from: bbmike on September 17, 2014, 07:27:47 AM
Yeah, my hopes are really too high now for this. We've been without a good PC football game for a while now. I hope you can mod it easily. Did we ever figure out if this is brand new or an overhaul of the original engine?
It's new as far as we've been informed. They'd been (slowly) working on it for years, although it was originally meant to be an online web browser game or some such.
Some skepticism is definitely warranted, but I will be keeping a close eye on it.
A press release in my inbox yesterday from Cyanide Studios:
September 16, 2014 – The most iconic name in football sims, Front Page Sports Football, is warmed up and taking to the field September 25, and today Cyanide Studio offers a quick look at how to plan and execute your strategy for a game using Gameplan and Playbook.
Front Page Sports Football allows you to prepare for your next opponent in two ways; delving through a team or individual player's stats, such as rushing and passing and much more; and by watching your opponents' previous games in 2D or 3D to get inside their tactics.
Armed with this knowledge, you can customize your Gameplan with plays to hammer at your opponent's weakness. On the field, your players will choose the appropriate play for the situation from the Gameplan, but the best coaches know how to adapt, changing the Gameplan on the fly to maximize an advantage or respond to a crisis.
Your Playbook is a handpicked collection of 80 offensive and 60 defensive strategies drawn from over 2,300 plays. But, a play is only as strong as the athletes on the field. Effectiveness hinges not only on a player's position and stats, but also his previous experience with the play.
Each player has over 20 stats capable of influencing plays and the overall gameplan, including weight, agility, speed, morale, and even fame. Of course, proper training is critical, and it's up to you whether you push for quick and short-lived gains for the next game, or focus on developing better overall players for the seasons to come.
Front Page Sports Football launches September 25, 2014 for PC. You can find more info and the newly released screenshots at:
http://www.frontpage-sportsfootball.com
https://www.facebook.com/FrontPageFootball
Not sure if any or all of this info has already been discussed, but, I thought I would drop this in here as it's the official dope.
Quote from: Nefaro on September 16, 2014, 10:05:39 PM
I'm more intrigued than before after seeing those screenshots.
The non-native English is shining through in some areas and the web page, however. I still wonder how polished this will be.
Also hoping someone mods the official teams and players in before long.
I'm totally in for doing up rosters, assuming they release an explanation of how different stats affect different positions and the like.
They have been pretty quiet so far as it relates to modifying things...hopefully it will be mod friendly, especially with simple things like team names and logos.
Is it multi-player and, if so, when does the Grogheads Football League start?
Quote from: KyzBP on September 18, 2014, 07:00:18 AM
Is it multi-player and, if so, when does the Grogheads Football League start?
Good idea!
Quote from: KyzBP on September 18, 2014, 07:00:18 AM
Is it multi-player and, if so, when does the Grogheads Football League start?
+1
PE
Tomorrow is the day for release....now they have a steam page for it with some screens and a video that gives your more info.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/316700/
Few items of note...
1) In the video, looks like you can customize your team name, nickname, logo, and team colors (hopefully you can customize the other teams as well). I could have missed it, but did not see anything that showed player editing.
2) On Facebook they indicated solo game only, no multiplayer
3) I am also starting to wonder if this only allows a single season play through, versus career. Most of their verbiage mentions a season, versus anything that ever states career. Although I would much prefer career, I still could get some fun out of single seasons.
Who knows how good it will actually be, but after watching the video, its definitely worth a shot for me, especially since only $19....we'll find out in a little over a day:)
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 24, 2014, 04:15:57 AM
Tomorrow is the day for release....now they have a steam page for it with some screens and a video that gives your more info.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/316700/
Few items of note...
1) In the video, looks like you can customize your team name, nickname, logo, and team colors (hopefully you can customize the other teams as well). I could have missed it, but did not see anything that showed player editing.
2) On Facebook they indicated solo game only, no multiplayer
3) I am also starting to wonder if this only allows a single season play through, versus career. Most of their verbiage mentions a season, versus anything that ever states career. Although I would much prefer career, I still could get some fun out of single seasons.
Who knows how good it will actually be, but after watching the video, its definitely worth a shot for me, especially since only $19....we'll find out in a little over a day:)
While I have tried to optimistic and open... the season aspect is a let down. We have waited forever for a good American Football sports management sim and I was hoping for a fully updated version of FPS Football.... guess we will have to wait and see on the season..... no multiplayer or league support will hurt their sales.
PE
well, so much for tomorrow's release....delayed until next week according to this message.
Due to some issues found by our QA team, the release of Front Page Sports Football has been posponed to next week. We prefer to polish the game a little bit more, to offer you a better experience.
The game will be available next week, you can already check the game page on Steam!
>> http://store.steampowered.com/app/316700
Don't hesitate to ask your questions in the Community Hub. Thank you for your support and your understanding.
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 24, 2014, 01:37:02 PM
well, so much for tomorrow's release....delayed until next week according to this message.
Due to some issues found by our QA team, the release of Front Page Sports Football has been posponed to next week. We prefer to polish the game a little bit more, to offer you a better experience.
The game will be available next week, you can already check the game page on Steam!
>> http://store.steampowered.com/app/316700
Don't hesitate to ask your questions in the Community Hub. Thank you for your support and your understanding.
Just asked the question about Season or Career play.....
PE
I am still very skeptical and am becoming more so each day. The game is so close to release, yet info is extremely sparse. That usually is a good tip-off for a game broken at release. I was hoping they would do a press push close to release, but they haven't. Nobody, press or otherwise, really understands how the game plays. Even the official feature list creates more questions than it answers. Every indication points to a cash grab. I hope I am wrong.
Regardless, I am only going to purchase this game via trusted word of mouth. Right now, I can see the two trains closing on each other, the only thing left to do is grab your iPhone and get ready.
Quote from: Swatter on September 24, 2014, 02:40:54 PM
I am still very skeptical and am becoming more so each day. The game is so close to release, yet info is extremely sparse. That usually is a good tip-off for a game broken at release. I was hoping they would do a press push close to release, but they haven't. Nobody, press or otherwise, really understands how the game plays. Even the official feature list creates more questions than it answers. Every indication points to a cash grab. I hope I am wrong.
Regardless, I am only going to purchase this game via trusted word of mouth. Right now, I can see the two trains closing on each other, the only thing left to do is grab your iPhone and get ready.
I think we all have every reason to be skeptical or at least go in with very low expectations. I am personally not looking at it as the "real" FPS Football and trying to think about it as likely a casual cheap version of football that I hope to get $19 worth of enjoyment out of. If we set our expectations any higher, we all will be disappointed.
I'm baffled by the ratings pages. If there's a Kick rating, what the Hell is 'Foot' for? I see one for Arm, but nothing that would seem to affect throw accuracy?
Then again, the original FPS games had odd ratings as well. Different stats meant different things for different positions all over the place.
Developer responded to my question about Multiple Seasons vs just on Season.
From the Devs
QuoteYes you can lead your team through numerous seasons, not only one. As Kruelgor said, you'll be able to watch your team progress in many ways, seasons after seasons!
It is a wait and see..... my expectations are so low you have to peel it off of my shoes.
PE
Quote from: PanzersEast on September 25, 2014, 07:30:12 AM
Developer responded to my question about Multiple Seasons vs just on Season.
From the Devs
QuoteYes you can lead your team through numerous seasons, not only one. As Kruelgor said, you'll be able to watch your team progress in many ways, seasons after seasons!
That's good news.
Feature list posted...one thing that caught my eye is them saying coaching can occur during a game, although still a little vague on it.
LIST OF FEATURES
- Create and manage your own football team. Recruit, train, and coach a roster of 53 offensive and defensive players, and compete against 32 other teams in Pro League on your way to the bowl. Being an effective coach is about developing the right skills for each player, strategizing for the games and seasons ahead, planning for the unexpected, and knowing when to push your players to the limit.
- Scout and draft new talent. Every season begins with the opportunity to draft new players according to league standings, but an athlete's data sheet reveals everything except for one vital element: Mental. The Mental statistic impacts every facet of a player's career, from training to game performance, and even life outside the stadium. It's the scout's job to uncover this information ahead of the draft.
- Recruit and negotiate. You can recruit players from opposing teams, but first, you'll have to negotiate. The owner of the opposing team will ask for compensation, of course, such as rounds of the draft, another player, or both! But, recruitment is a two-way street, and other teams may very well have their eyes set on recruiting your players.
- Set training regimens. Training requires a careful balance between quick gains for the next game and developing better skills overall for the long-term progression of your team. You can even prepare your players for a particular play of your gameplan. Training takes place daily with multiple options from the scrimmage line to the classroom, and can be altered at any time to adjust your strategy for the games to come.
- Create your own gameplans. More than 2,300 plays are available to compose your personal offensive and defensive gameplans, with pre-made gameplans available for less-experienced coaches. Detailed diagrams allow you to build an overall strategy, while statistics allow you to see which plays have been the most effective on the field.
- Coach your team during the game. Your team will choose the best play in your gameplan for the situation, but you can also make changes on the fly, playing in real-time and using time-outs to give to your team new plays to execute.
- 2D and 3D simulations. You can replay games in both 2D and 3D to get the most tactical viewpoint and analyze a team's performance. You can watch the games from beginning to end, by quarters, or even play by play.
- Use statistics to build the perfect team. Detailed post-game statistics will help to determine the strengths and weaknesses of a team, while an individual player's performance in a season or even a single play can be affected by 20+ factors, including Weight, Strength, Agility, Awareness, and even Fame and Lifestyle. Knowing your players and the opposition inside and out will be crucial for developing proper gameplans and training regimens, and for recruiting the right players for your team.
- Take care of injuries. An injured player isn't necessarily out of the game, but pushing him comes at a cost. As a coach, you can see how an injury affects performance and the time needed for a full recovery. If an injured player remains active or is pulled from the practice squad too early, not only does he take twice as long to recover, but his initial injury could become worse.
On facebook says 10/2 is the new release date....
Lets cross our fingers O0
Quote from: Swatter on September 29, 2014, 09:15:36 PM
Lets cross our fingers O0
I am not confident enough to bet on it:) when it is downloading from steam into my account I'll believe it....
All of the following is based on the assumption that FPS Football is a finished, working game:
This game is screaming for custom rosters. I am assuming that most people really aren't going to heavily get into it until someone makes custom rosters. That someone is us! Since the game is so poorly marketed, I doubt there is much of a community out there for it. As a result, rosters from other sources might be awhile. Now, I have made rosters in the past for various games, so its something I somewhat enjoy doing, but I can't do it alone (at least worth a darn).
If I could get a couple of other people to help, the process would be greatly accelerated. Ideally someone who owns the current release of Madden could enter specific ratings for players into a spreadsheet by team, based on the most current roster release. Then, once we know what kind logos and team graphics are needed, someone can gather the graphics for all the teams and leagues and put them into a folder. Once the information is together, I could synthesize that stuff into a roster for FPS.
Anyone willing to help? To reiterate, this is all based on FPS functioning on a level worthy of us expending the time to make it better.
Quote from: Swatter on September 30, 2014, 12:38:44 PM
All of the following is based on the assumption that FPS Football is a finished, working game:
This game is screaming for custom rosters. I am assuming that most people really aren't going to heavily get into it until someone makes custom rosters. That someone is us! Since the game is so poorly marketed, I doubt there is much of a community out there for it. As a result, rosters from other sources might be awhile. Now, I have made rosters in the past for various games, so its something I somewhat enjoy doing, but I can't do it alone (at least worth a darn).
If I could get a couple of other people to help, the process would be greatly accelerated. Ideally someone who owns the current release of Madden could enter specific ratings for players into a spreadsheet by team, based on the most current roster release. Then, once we know what kind logos and team graphics are needed, someone can gather the graphics for all the teams and leagues and put them into a folder. Once the information is together, I could synthesize that stuff into a roster for FPS.
Anyone willing to help? To reiterate, this is all based on FPS functioning on a level worthy of us expending the time to make it better.
Have they confirmed that editing players/rosters will be possible? Not sure if I have seen that stated anywhere.
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 30, 2014, 04:58:20 PM
Have they confirmed that editing players/rosters will be possible? Not sure if I have seen that stated anywhere.
The whole modding situation is still a big question mark, as is the condition of the game.
Hopefully the release delay is just some final polishing and not some desperate hole plugging in a push to get the game out before the mid-season mark. I like the feature list but the lack of actual gameplay footage convinces me to expect something bad. Then I won't be too disappointed. :P
Quote from: Nefaro on September 30, 2014, 06:24:00 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 30, 2014, 04:58:20 PM
Have they confirmed that editing players/rosters will be possible? Not sure if I have seen that stated anywhere.
The whole modding situation is still a big question mark, as is the condition of the game.
Hopefully the release delay is just some final polishing and not some desperate hole plugging in a push to get the game out before the mid-season mark. I like the feature list but the lack of actual gameplay footage convinces me to expect something bad. Then I won't be too disappointed. :P
I agree with everything you say. I will hope for the best, but if its a disaster, I won't be shocked in the least.
I've been looking for a decent "modern" American Football sim for some time along the lines of OOTP. I know a bit more about American Football than I do about Baseball...at least, I'm more familiar with it.
But I am definitely going to hold off on this for the time being - until I see what people are saying.
I definitely "need" proper names - at least for football teams as I don't really know players or stadiums - so proper team names is important for me. I don't want to see names like Miami Fish or San Francisco 59ers or Dallas Indians!
So far everything points to a fiction world of players and teams so the only question is how much can be modded by the community. There is already screenshots that show you can at least mod your team name and colors but beyond that there has been no info if you can modify any of the player information so that real players can be introduced. Although I would also prefer a game with real information, that alone won't stop my from buying it. Game unlocks in a day and fifteen hours so I guess all the mystery will be removed then or at least when I get home from work tomorrow:)
Don't you remember the days when companies had to PAY for advertising?
I realise this is a for profit adventure, but still...the teams would be getting exposure as would the game.
Maybe you get big enough you don't need to pay for it ::)
IIRC the original Front Page Sports Football had the licensing from the NFL Player's Association and from the NFL, so logos, names, and player names were used throughout.
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 01, 2014, 06:04:51 AM
IIRC the original Front Page Sports Football had the licensing from the NFL Player's Association and from the NFL, so logos, names, and player names were used throughout.
And without that, I have zero interest in the game. Although FPS Football makes my list as one of the games I would most like to see resurrected for modern systems, this feels like a cheap knockoff to me. If they prove me wrong, I'll gladly show my remorse by purchasing the game. Until then though.....
Yep, and that's the funny thing about American football games; if they don't have that NFL quality, they're pretty much seen as imitation knock-offs. That's a prevalent perception throughout the country and even the world, though. Semi-pro football, even including more high-profile leagues like the XFL, UFL, USFL, etc., never stood a chance in or out of the NFL's shadow.
I imagine that today the licensing $$$ requirement is a heck of a lot higher than it was in the mid-90s during this series' heyday. That would be a giant bite in the budget and a big stumbling block to overcome.
That said, I'm certain if FPS Football gets even a tiny bit of traction, there will be some dedicated fans out there that will release full mods for the game that will make it an NFL experience. And, without the NFL or Player's Association getting a dime in compensation. I admit that makes me somewhat :smitten: when I think about the NFL not getting more money.
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 01, 2014, 06:24:55 AM
That said, I'm certain if FPS Football gets even a tiny bit of traction, there will be some dedicated fans out there that will release full mods for the game that will make it an NFL experience. And, without the NFL or Player's Association getting a dime in compensation. I admit that makes me somewhat :smitten: when I think about the NFL not getting more money.
Yep. I guarantee there will be people making logo mods & such if it's halfway decent.
The licensing demands of the NFL and MLB are probably pretty ridiculous. I couldn't imagine a sports manager game coming out these days without the ability to modify the logos, team names, etc. It would be a big mistake if that were the case. If there's anything I expect out of this, it's that those are easy to modify.
There's probably suits working right now on legislation to prevent modding of a game so people HAVE to buy the licence or suffer the scourge of the paying public by not buying a game without the official data >:(
Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 01, 2014, 06:55:47 AM
There's probably suits working right now on legislation to prevent modding of a game so people HAVE to buy the licence or suffer the scourge of the paying public by not buying a game without the official data >:(
My first computer was a Texas Instruments TI-99-4A. All their programs were proprietary. I used to get a newsletter from them, shrilly stating that NO ONE would be allowed to develop software for their systems.
Yeah. I sold it as soon as I could, and bought a Commodore 128D, for the cheap as hell price of $1495.00. AWESOME machine, that had TWO ten megabyte hard drives, and ran at a SCREAMING two megahertz!!!!
Quote from: DennisS on October 01, 2014, 06:25:00 PM
My first computer was a Texas Instruments TI-99-4A. All their programs were proprietary. I used to get a newsletter from them, shrilly stating that NO ONE would be allowed to develop software for their systems.
We call that "Apple computers". If TI had been caught adding unannounced spy software multiple times in their products, forcing overpriced proprietary junk on their customers, and other such practices, they could've been siblings. ;D
Whoever jumps in tomorrow, please report back as soon as you can ;-)
Quote from: Nefaro on October 01, 2014, 07:37:12 PM
Quote from: DennisS on October 01, 2014, 06:25:00 PM
My first computer was a Texas Instruments TI-99-4A. All their programs were proprietary. I used to get a newsletter from them, shrilly stating that NO ONE would be allowed to develop software for their systems.
We call that "Apple computers". If TI had been caught adding unannounced spy software multiple times in their products, forcing overpriced proprietary junk on their customers, and other such practices, they could've been siblings. ;D
lol +1
Quote from: Swatter on October 01, 2014, 10:05:57 PM
Whoever jumps in tomorrow, please report back as soon as you can ;-)
I am buying regardless what people say, but wont be able to play it until the evening after work:(
http://store.steampowered.com/app/316700
As of right now, it says it will be available in 5 hours on Steam. At least here in the States.
I'm watching with great eagerness and low expectations. Fingers are crossed.
Released.....
Let's hear the verdict....
PE
£12? That can't be good, can it?
I just tried to purchase it, but Steam's retarded client keeps sending me back to the main Store page when I choose "Buy for myself" at checkout. >:(
Damn thing is riddled with bugs. I'm talking about the Steam client, of course.
EDIT: restarted Steam. Still screwed up. ::) Looks like the impressions will have to wait.
Its on sale the first day. At only $15, I am waiting on principle. They can't have my money if its simply a cash grab.
First impressions
The bad...
- No sound
- Play screen is waaaay too small
- Seems to go to auto punt on 4th down
- Did I say no sound (a big one for me)
- Bit buggy
- I noticed one time when I lost 5 yards but the screen still said I had 10 to go (I don't think I was seeing things here and I wasn't close enough to my touchline for this to be the issue)
- It's currently showing no games played and some screens are showing no stats, but the stats screen shows stats
- It's now very slow when moving between screens. Painfully so
The good
- You can customise YOUR team (I have no idea if you can customise them all) with proper logo, your own avatar, the name
- The play system seems fairly intuitive - though I was sure what were running and passing plays - but that's likely my lack of understanding of the kinds of plays
- Stats - there seems to be a fair few stats (only seen after one game - so I'm not sure how deep or if there's enough for hard core football fans
With the 4th punt, admittedly when I played and I was at 4th down, I had more than a couple of yards to play, maybe that's a setting in the playbook...I'll check - Checked - couldn't see anything
As always - I haven't done a THING here except fire it up and play. I didn't see any options on the main screen, just New Game and quit.
It took me quit a while to work out that you click the Next Week button to actually go into a game
As I have posted this, I am now going to dig and see if there's any settings.
*edit*
Definitely no options in the game for sound or size of display. The display is really, REALLY small. Think iPad or Kindle
Not good, but I will check back later.
Very, VERY early first impressions: Game is slow when AI is running for other teams games, the playbooks look limited (might be more, not sure), the graphics look tiny when playing a game, graphics aren't real smooth, no sound, customization options look good. More to come...
Are the teams NFL real-world or just silly similar team names (e.g. instead of Houston Texans they have Houston Toros or Apollos or something weird). The screenshots on the Steam page seem to indicate the latter, silly names.
Are there real-world NFL players? Doesn't seem like there will be if the teams themselves aren't represented.
No sound? Pfft. That's a huge strike against.
I was on the fence but from this initial feedback I doubt I'll be buying it for a good, long while.
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 02, 2014, 12:25:08 PM
Are the teams NFL real-world or just silly similar team names (e.g. instead of Houston Texans they have Houston Toros or Apollos or something weird). The screenshots on the Steam page seem to indicate the latter, silly names.
Are there real-world NFL players? Doesn't seem like there will be if the teams themselves aren't represented.
No sound? Pfft. That's a huge strike against.
I was on the fence but from this initial feedback I doubt I'll be buying it for a good, long while.
Teams are Seattle Hornets, Miami Sharks etc - you can change the second part of the name - but I'm not sure if you can do that for all teams or just yours...and you can definitely do it for your own team
No sound is a bummer for me. It wasn't too bad in OOTP because you just simulated most games. But these you want to watch playout as there's so few over the year) - so no sound is a killer - that and the very small display.
I don't know about real world players so can't comment - actually the Denver Broncos have P. Manneng instead of P Manning - so yeah - the names aren't real either. In fact, apart from the City name, there's nothing official in the game at all (maybe stats for players - but I wouldn't know)
Silly similar names for both teams and players. You can rename your team, change colors and logos. It looks like you can create and upload custom logos. Looking through the data files I can't see where you would create/edit players. I also can't find a way in game to edit players.
Sheeeeeit. Even Gridiron Solitaire has friggin' sound. >:(
This kick is up and its............ wide right :tickedoff:
Oh well.... looks like the wait continues.
PE
So you can't upload custom team logos. You can upload a custom avatar for your coach only! Yeah, I'm already gonna suggest you wait on this one. In the meantime I'll keep trying to see what else is missing...
QuoteUser reviews: Negative (1 reviews)
And so it begins...LOL.
I think they missed the whole point of our expectations when they named this what they did.
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 02, 2014, 12:44:33 PM
I think they missed the whole point of our expectations when they named this what they did.
I agree with this, they set themselves up for failure and they obviously did not consider the raised expectations of the game because of using a Franchise Name like FPS. If you are going to use the name, you have to meet and/or exceed your predecessors functionality/features.
PE
So far it sounds like a money grab by unscrupulous designers. :-[
Quote from: Steelgrave on October 02, 2014, 01:02:53 PM
So far it sounds like a money grab by unscrupulous designers. :-[
I'm still hoping that isn't the case. It might just be that it was released way too early. There is potential here if they keep working on it.
Quote from: bbmike on October 02, 2014, 01:13:58 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on October 02, 2014, 01:02:53 PM
So far it sounds like a money grab by unscrupulous designers. :-[
I'm still hoping that isn't the case. It might just be that it was released way too early. There is potential here if they keep working on it.
I do too. Many are the times that I've wished for an updated FPS Football on my PC. I bought every version every year they came out.
Quote from: Steelgrave on October 02, 2014, 01:02:53 PM
So far it sounds like a money grab by unscrupulous designers. :-[
It's Cyanide Studios. Is anyone REALLY surprised?
This sounds like a disaster. And with what appears to be zero editing ability at all, it's pretty much dead on arrival. Sigh.
I wonder how they have rights to the name?
Well.....
The bright side is I will take the money set aside for this title and purchase..... Defender of the Crown :D
PE
Cyanide Studios, which has brought you engrossing sports titles like Pro Cycling Manager!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_Page_Sports_Football
The title lingered for nine years before Cyanide came up with it. Probably wasn't hard (or expensive) to procure the rights to the name. Too bad they didn't look at the other games in the series and understand their North American (you know, most American football followers, not to mention you Highlanders out there, lol) customers' perceptions.
Football management sim players are NOT hard to please, so why the hell is it so hard for these companies to come up with something we like?
:2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/226948/Front_Page_Sports_Football_Management_Sim_Available_Now_forPC.php
QuoteOctober 2, 2014 – Launching today on Steam, from the sports sim experts at Cyanide Studio (Pro Cycling Manager 2014, Blood Bowl), Front Page Sports Football is the long-awaited revival of the fan-favorite football management series.
Don't think I'd call attention to Blood Bowl, personally...
Quote"The Front Page Sports Football series set the bar for sports sims," said Regis Robin, Lead Game Designer.
"Sets the bar?" Where? Down at Gus-hurdle level? ;) I sure hope you're meaning the ones from the 90s...
Seems like this game kind of dropped the bar on the ground and then buried it in a hole.
Quote"We wanted to capture what made the original so amazing, but we also didn't want this to be a remake or an upgrade.
Wait...wait...you didn't want it to be a "remake or an upgrade"?!?!?
Uhh...what would exactly this be, then, considering it's named after a successful football franchise from 15+ years ago? If it's not a remake nor an upgrade, it's basically not anything, right?
Welp...I think they totally missed the point. Anyone that played FPS and knows the game (admittedly I only played the 1995 version, but I loved the game). A remake is exactly what a LOT of people would have loved.
QuoteWe wanted to start fresh. It's easy for a sim to get too bogged down in spreadsheets of stats, or to focus on gimmicks over depth.
Uhhh...well, most football sim gamers WANT the spreadsheets of stats, thank you very much. That's where the depth comes from. As for gimmicks...I guess sound wasn't one of those "gimmicks," eh?
QuoteFront Page Sports Football was made to be accessible to newcomers,
Congratulations, you might have just ruined American football for newcomers. Though admittedly if you fix some of these issues, you might have a pretty awesome game on hand.
Quotebut it also contains layers of strategy encompassing entire seasons down to single player attributes for diehard fans."
Yeah, okay, individual stats...well gee whiz, that's new! It's not like football games haven't been doing that since the original Techmo Bowl, eh?
QuoteRecruit, train, and coach your players to compete against 32 other teams in Pro League on your way to the bowl.
'The Bowl?'
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sherv.net%2Fcm%2Femoticons%2Fsick%2Fvomit-into-the-toilet.gif&hash=b9c4ae9c121dbda2ac74d1e36ad14968c892cc25)
Quoteover 2,300 plays
To be fair, Madden '92 had 55 offensive and 72 defensive plays. In Madden 25, you can create a playbook with 400. If that 2,300 plays is not including 100 different ways to punt and 200 ways to kick a field goal, color me relatively impressed.
Quote from: bbmike on October 02, 2014, 12:36:03 PM
So you can't upload custom team logos.
Never mind that! You
can upload custom team logos but only when you first create your team.
[edit] Something else that bothers me- you can only have one league at a time in the game? I hope I can at least find where it's saved so I can start new ones. ???
I haven't been back. The lack of immersion is the polar opposite to Elite:Dangerous. Not that I would expect that level of immersion...but no sound is just dire. It makes watching the games playout one of the poorest experiences I've had in gaming. Which leaves you pretty much just simulation the games...and that means a year passing rather quickly (the total opposite of OOTP)
Also, the small graphics windows is a bother. The rest of the screen is filled with a blurred image of a football field(??) and actually after a while just makes me feel like I should put my glasses on!
I'm also quite concerned at the speed. After only one game (which by the way as bbmike mentioned takes quite some time to simulate) moving between the various screens for information is diabolically slow. I hope it doesn't get worse - but I wouldn't bank on it.
Not impressed. It was only £11 - so it's no real loss - but I'm very disappointed. I desperately wanted a good football management sim - and unless there's some super fast development going on, this isn't it.
For the record I jumped in right away just because. It was only £11 and I wasn't really fussed if that was thrown away or not - but I am disappointed it is nowhere near what it could've been.
Colour me very disappointed in this one at present.
Maybe the OOTP team will come up with the goods in their one.
Just posted on the Steam forum:
"Yep, you can change team names and player info and a bunch of other stuff by editing the FootUsWorldStatic.db file. Download Mozilla Firefox. Download the SQLite Add-On. You can then use SQLite to open up the file and edit it.
I recommend saving a backup of the original file. Also, edit files with caution because I do not know if it'll cause the game to crash or not."
I am afraid my worst fears have come to pass. When you have a football game that can make it through the QA process with a false start equaling 4 yards, something is fatally wrong without digging any deeper.
Quote from: bbmike on October 02, 2014, 03:56:18 PM
Just posted on the Steam forum:
"Yep, you can change team names and player info and a bunch of other stuff by editing the FootUsWorldStatic.db file. Download Mozilla Firefox. Download the SQLite Add-On. You can then use SQLite to open up the file and edit it.
I recommend saving a backup of the original file. Also, edit files with caution because I do not know if it'll cause the game to crash or not."
That's just so, so sad that you'd have to change system files to do something that the game should allow you to do in the first place.
I would be happy with a current version of XOR- NFL Challenge. I think many would be satisfied enough with the X/O graphics if it had current rosters and a larger play selection.
Why has it been so hard to produce a better football sim than ones made 20yrs ago?
I'd like to thank all of you who took the plunge and bought this. You saved many of us from making that mistake. I'm disappointed beyond words as I look behind me at the 2 copies of FPS Football Pro 97 (one unopened) and a FPS Football Pro 98 on my bookcase. I so hoped I'd be able to retire those old warhorses.
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 02, 2014, 04:41:47 PM
Quote from: bbmike on October 02, 2014, 03:56:18 PM
Just posted on the Steam forum:
"Yep, you can change team names and player info and a bunch of other stuff by editing the FootUsWorldStatic.db file. Download Mozilla Firefox. Download the SQLite Add-On. You can then use SQLite to open up the file and edit it.
I recommend saving a backup of the original file. Also, edit files with caution because I do not know if it'll cause the game to crash or not."
That's just so, so sad that you'd have to change system files to do something that the game should allow you to do in the first place.
And don't forget you can only have ONE league at a time! :o
Quote from: Hot lead and dirty talk on October 02, 2014, 04:57:08 PM
I would be happy with a current version of XOR- NFL Challenge. I think many would be satisfied enough with the X/O graphics if it had current rosters and a larger play selection.
Why has it been so hard to produce a better football sim than ones made 20yrs ago?
This is exactly what I was referring to in another thread around here - that new games (based on a previous one or otherwise) seem to be released as a shadow of their former iteration. Like the new developers on the block have had NO CLUE what was in the previous titles that made them so popular.
I never played the old FPS Football - but it seems this developer did exactly that. Dropped a load of stuff and gave a shell of a game. It's shallow and empty of life. I don't know how much time they invested in the 3D part - and ordinarily I would be a fan of such parts, but I'd have definitely forgone that for a better overall experience
Oh my....speechless....thought it certainly would be rough, but I have only played for a little while and it seems bad......thank goodness only $15, but geesh even for that cheap price I expected a little more. Really seems like a money grab for sure. Not going to blame anyone but myself since the signs were there.
Back to hoping the future OOTP game finally fills this niche...
Hmmm. From a review on Steam:
Quote*You are limited to 16 plays from your playbook on each play meaning that sometimes the play that you really want to call may not be available.
So much for that "2,300 plays" that developer quoted in their press release. What kind of idiocy is this?
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 02, 2014, 05:53:59 PM
Back to hoping the future OOTP game finally fills this niche...
I just took a look at the OOTP site and read up on the football game. Although it's a year off, all my hopes and dreams for a decent American football game now rest in the bosom of the OOTP designers.
Dos box and a copy of FPS 95 or 96 and life is good. :smitten:
I'll steer clear of this train wreck. O0
I wish I could program this stuff. I think we could all come up with a "GrogHeads Ultimate Football* Manager" worthy of the title.
*American version
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 02, 2014, 07:33:34 PM
I wish I could program this stuff. I think we could all come up with a "GrogHeads Ultimate Football* Manager" worthy of the title.
*American version
Its not an easy thing to do. The ideal would be the Madden 15 graphics engine marrying the career mode of Front Office Football. The resulting child would be the closest thing to real football that we have yet to see. The problem is this- making a football game with a realistic play-by-play graphical engine is very expensive. Creating a text based career engine is relatively cheap. The audience for each is vastly different and the suits that create the Maddens of the world already have a money-maker and have no reason to think outside of the box.
I think the magical formula is probably creating a solid career engine and marry that with a 2D play-by-play engine with a television angle camera and crisp animations. That is doable by an independent studio. Perhaps OOTP with do that, I can only hope.
Quote from: Swatter on October 02, 2014, 09:23:23 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 02, 2014, 07:33:34 PM
I wish I could program this stuff. I think we could all come up with a "GrogHeads Ultimate Football* Manager" worthy of the title.
*American version
Its not an easy thing to do. The ideal would be the Madden 15 graphics engine marrying the career mode of Front Office Football. The resulting child would be the closest thing to real football that we have yet to see. The problem is this- making a football game with a realistic play-by-play graphical engine is very expensive. Creating a text based career engine is relatively cheap. The audience for each is vastly different and the suits that create the Maddens of the world already have a money-maker and have no reason to think outside of the box.
I think the magical formula is probably creating a solid career engine and marry that with a 2D play-by-play engine with a television angle camera and crisp animations. That is doable by an independent studio. Perhaps OOTP with do that, I can only hope.
That's all I really wanted or even expected. With no sound and a very small play window (even for the management side...not just the 3D game side) the game is simply not immersive. It looks and feels and plays blandly.
A deep, immersive American Football management sim. It is not this...admittedly I haven't picked it up after my first foray into it. I have today off...maybe I'll have a look today again. :(
I just stumbled across a game for my Kindle called Big Win Football. Sorry no link but there's a bunch of youtube videos and it's available for every platform. While it's not the FM14 of American Football it is a fun and addictive little game. It even has sound and full screen mode. To me it says that a great American Football game can be made. The simple graphics used in this game are more than adequate for me and the engine for this seems pretty good. Now if it could be reworked into an FM level of depth I'd be one happy camper.
Now back to playing more of this little gem.
Quote from: KyzBP on October 04, 2014, 12:26:51 AM
I just stumbled across a game for my Kindle called Big Win Football. Sorry no link but there's a bunch of youtube videos and it's available for every platform. While it's not the FM14 of American Football it is a fun and addictive little game. It even has sound and full screen mode. To me it says that a great American Football game can be made. The simple graphics used in this game are more than adequate for me and the engine for this seems pretty good. Now if it could be reworked into an FM level of depth I'd be one happy camper.
Now back to playing more of this little gem.
I saw this when digging around on my Kindle awhile back. It's more of a CCG than anything, isn't it?
That's not to say it's bad, just that it's not really a football management sim.
http://www.hotheadgames.com/games/big-win-football/about/
Also .. it's tablet only IIRC.
Quote from: Nefaro on October 04, 2014, 12:47:32 AM
Quote from: KyzBP on October 04, 2014, 12:26:51 AM
I just stumbled across a game for my Kindle called Big Win Football. Sorry no link but there's a bunch of youtube videos and it's available for every platform. While it's not the FM14 of American Football it is a fun and addictive little game. It even has sound and full screen mode. To me it says that a great American Football game can be made. The simple graphics used in this game are more than adequate for me and the engine for this seems pretty good. Now if it could be reworked into an FM level of depth I'd be one happy camper.
Now back to playing more of this little gem.
I saw this when digging around on my Kindle awhile back. It's more of a CCG than anything, isn't it?
That's not to say it's bad, just that it's not really a football management sim.
http://www.hotheadgames.com/games/big-win-football/about/
Also .. it's tablet only IIRC.
Well there's only two screens on that link and both of them are a step up from this (at the moment).
I was reading on the Steam forums (which I normally stay away from) that the developer normally puts out 2 or 3 patches and then drops the game for the next iteration - or at least they did so with Pro Cycling Manager apparently.
I hope that's not the case. I can guarantee I won't be falling into the "The next one is better and fixed - buy that one".
For those still looking for a graphical football fix, one option maybe a blast from the past.....Madden 08 which was on the PC. Seems like a group is still keeping that updated with mods which could give you a football fix. Of course in order to play, you would need a version of Madden 08, which you can buy and download (maybe not outside of the US) for $9.99 and then apply mods. No idea how it plays on modern computers, operating systems, and controllers but if your desperate, might be worth a try.
Link for buying game
http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Arts-70301-Madden-Download/dp/B007XXEG5C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412420476&sr=8-1&keywords=madden+08+pc
Link to a Big Mod for Uniforms, Rosters, Graphics, etc (along with a video showing it off)
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=16139
Link for 2014 custom roster and schedule
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16673
Link to Mods fro Graphics (i.e. uniforms)
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=88
And for those that play on mobile devices (apple for now), this game tends to get some good praise....
http://www.prostrategyfootball.com/
It appears their new version this year will have career play added. I am just not much of a mobile game player, otherwise I'd likely play it.
Quote from: Nefaro on October 04, 2014, 12:47:32 AM
Quote from: KyzBP on October 04, 2014, 12:26:51 AM
I just stumbled across a game for my Kindle called Big Win Football. Sorry no link but there's a bunch of youtube videos and it's available for every platform. While it's not the FM14 of American Football it is a fun and addictive little game. It even has sound and full screen mode. To me it says that a great American Football game can be made. The simple graphics used in this game are more than adequate for me and the engine for this seems pretty good. Now if it could be reworked into an FM level of depth I'd be one happy camper.
Now back to playing more of this little gem.
I saw this when digging around on my Kindle awhile back. It's more of a CCG than anything, isn't it?
*Edit* After looking at their website it does appear to be a mobile only game.
That's not to say it's bad, just that it's not really a football management sim.
http://www.hotheadgames.com/games/big-win-football/about/
Also .. it's tablet only IIRC.
It's definitely a CCG with a football management theme. I would argue that it's a football management sim on par with this new FPS game. At least you can change players names. The thing I was getting at though was that something like this could be married to an updated version of FPS 97 or 98 and presto, you'd have a playable, and probably enjoyable game. I just can't figure out why any developer would release the crap that Cyanide did and then proudly stand behind it. We all know that a great football management game can be built, it's been done before, and I think that's what's so frustrating.
When I was looking for a good link to attach I saw one that said "BIG Wing Football for the PC". I didn't check it though but I assumed it could be played on Windows.
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 04, 2014, 06:12:27 AM
For those still looking for a graphical football fix, one option maybe a blast from the past.....Madden 08 which was on the PC. Seems like a group is still keeping that updated with mods which could give you a football fix. Of course in order to play, you would need a version of Madden 08, which you can buy and download (maybe not outside of the US) for $9.99 and then apply mods. No idea how it plays on modern computers, operating systems, and controllers but if your desperate, might be worth a try.
Link for buying game
http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Arts-70301-Madden-Download/dp/B007XXEG5C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412420476&sr=8-1&keywords=madden+08+pc
Link to a Big Mod for Uniforms, Rosters, Graphics, etc (along with a video showing it off)
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=16139
Link for 2014 custom roster and schedule
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16673
Link to Mods fro Graphics (i.e. uniforms)
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=88
I think you still
need a 360 controller to play that on PC. Just FYI.
It's cool that people are making mods and keeping it up to date, however. Still an option since I don't have a console, but it's still much more action focused than I'd prefer.
The first Madden game I owned was on the C64, back in the 80s. Eventually got sick of some of the series' AI oddities somewhere in the early 2000s, especially after they gained a monopoly on the official NFL licensing when their gameplay started getting serious competition. I think the 2k series' final year (in which they offered the console version at half price) scared the shit out of EA and forced them to pull their sole licensing jackassery because 2k's gameplay was actually more representative. Far fewer breakout passes & such.. fewer exploitable plays against primarily AI-run defenses for those, as an example. So they monopolized the lawyer way. ::)
:: Rant Off ::
TL:DR =
I believe Madden practically requires a console controller to run since it's so action-oriented. Not sure how deep the team-building stuff is. It may also use some of EA's DRM. So plan accordingly.
When I used to play Madden on the PC, I always used a controller.
I think Madden 2004 (maybe 2005 or 06) had a Coach/GM mode. You didn't have to play any of the positions just draft'em and turn'em loose. You could still call the plays though. That mode disappeared somewhere along the line and I haven't played it since.
On a side note: This Big Win Football is incredibly fun. The automated play calling is great and you can get through a game in 0-10 minutes depending how much you want to watch. It seems light years ahead of the new FPS when it comes to play selection and player AI. I'm very impressed with it considering it's a little tablet game.
Looks like they just updated the game with some essential fixes. Any owners wanna give it a run and see if this stuff was fixed in this patch?
Patch notes:
QuoteHi everybody,
The game has just been updated! Here is the changelog of this first patch:
- The game now starts from day 1 and not from day 4 (the draft is now available from the first season )
- New camera choices for 3D view (replays and interactive games)
- Navigation facilitated in replays (previous and next buttons, timeline of the game easier to use... )
- Fixed some yard values in the actions comments (including penalties)
In interactive games:
- Choice between ALL games in the playbook
- The games can be filtered by type ( Passing or Rushing in attack / Man Cover or Cover Zone in defense)
- Possibility to make a choice at 4th down (punt, field goal or normal game)
- Possibility to do an Extra Point after a touchdown
- Text "1&Goal" displayed instead of "1st&10" when the team is next to the endzone
- Game launched in windowed mode by default
- Games launched in 2D if the graphics card is not compatible with the 3D view
- Language choice now saved (for those who play mostly in French)
- Various translations errors, styles, display bugs fixed...
- Several bug fixed ( games that never launched , various crash problems , etc.)
We are now working on a database editor as many of you have requested, as well as continuing to polish the game. A new patch should come next week.
Thank you for your patience and your support,
http://steamcommunity.com/app/316700/discussions/0/613938693119319421/
It is better.
I can confirm
- New choices of camera, angles 1 through 5, front, side and back
- Lots more plays (all? I don't know - but a lot more)
- Plays can be filtered to passing and rushing
- Choice of 4th down, punt or field goal
- Game launched in wodnow mode
I can't comment on the rest
The play view is still very small and there's still absolutely no immersion (for me)
I started a new game to check the draft out and I got this - so I can't select a team!
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1160.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq499%2Fwmar1967%2FGame%2520Screenies%2FSnap1_zps10a069bb.jpg&hash=d5afa30b9ed54cf62c13d7c082ebedec22199f72)
That was using the Official database (choice of official or random) - I don't remember that choice before
*edit*
I tried again using official and got the list this time
And got a crash on the second week of the draft
Don't bother still :(
Sadly, have no desire to even try it out.....
Me, either. The game should not need 'polishing' in the first place - the devs should have listened to fans and did the crap we'd want from Day 1. Glad I did not take the plunge. Sorry the rest of you did. :-\
Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 10, 2014, 05:26:34 PM
And got a crash on the second week of the draft
Don't bother still :(
Sh!t.
Well.. thanks for trying. I wonder if they will continue updating.
Quote from: Nefaro on October 11, 2014, 01:51:44 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 10, 2014, 05:26:34 PM
And got a crash on the second week of the draft
Don't bother still :(
Sh!t.
Well.. thanks for trying. I wonder if they will continue updating.
I believe the answer is yes and they mentioned including a database editor. They probably should have labeled this an early access game and then maybe people would have given more slack. I didn't expect a lot from the game but the moment you start it and there is no sound whatsoever, you knew it was going to be rough. Maybe through many updates it gets playable, but I'll wait awhile before I really try to do much with it.
New patch and now includes a database editor....
Front Page Sports Football now includes a Database Editor!! Every team and player can be changed, so you can play in your own special way!
Along with this enhancement, a new patch has been released:
- Redesign of the style of a few pages
- Fixed the number of yards traveled in the games comments
- Fixed some minor bugs, texts, crashes ...
Those of you with this game that feel like it, please check this out and let those of us without if it's any good.
Personally I'm thinking it's too little, too late, but one never knows.
Sounded like the biggest issue was with the crashing, even after the first update. Some of the complaints were listed as being addressed in it such as odd yardage notifications, modability, and expanded play options, so I'm not gonna write it off just yet.
May end up buying it if they can patch it some more. The rampant crash issues are just a no-go until then.