...anyone playing this? Looks a lot like Achtung Spitfire and Bombing the Reich, but with a bit more depth. You control the RAF during the Battle of Britain. You build up the infrastructure of the UK and the Luftwaffe attacks begin as small incursions, but rapidly grow in size.
The only thing putting me off include some cartoony graphics (such as those used to picture your RAF pilots). However, I like the clean display and how the squadrons are shown as roundel chits and the Luftwaffe raids as blocks. The aircraft look a little off, as if they were kids' versions of planes of the same name (I can't quite put my finger on it).
It's only eight bucks on Steam, but I need another frivolous purchase like I need a hole in my Zero, so if anyone has this, chime in your thoughts, please. The few of you on my Steam list don't seem to own it at present.
It was good for a while. But a very difficult game. Don't expect realism.
Here's one of my vids.
Now where did that original thread go?
To frustrating and difficult for me. Now I'd love a new turn based tactical air warfare game though along the lines of Achtung Spitfire and Flight Commander. I always think Darkwind has a great racing mechanic that would work superbly well if it had a z axis aswell for a tactical air combat game.
Do NOT buy this game.
1) Fun at first, with a nice little mechanic for air combat
2) The better you do, the more forces are generated against you
3) The better you do, the tougher the game gets. Infinitely.
Infinitely.
I was kicking major ass, and ran into a force that was absolutely ten times the force I could muster.
...and got crushed.
What is the answer? I got on the steam forums, and jacked up the developer, who stubbornly defends his indefensible design decision.
He wants the game to be challenging.
To my knowledge, no one has ever defeated the game, on any setting other than easy. I am not convinced it is even theoretically possible.
What do you do? Play worse? Do you baaaarely win, so as to not aggro the entire Luftwaft?
Pisses me off no end, to have a game become unplayably difficult, just because I am playing well. Assholes.
Yeah, it gets nasty hard. Quickly went from challenging to ridiculous for me as well.
Thanks for the feedback, all. That really sucks, because it was looking good in that guy's "Let's Play" videos. I'm watching his Part 2 now and seeing how his squadrons are getting torn up by 16-plane LW elements.
I suppose I can see it from the dev's side of things, by making something challenging, but from the sounds of it it's TOO much so.
Yeah it really is too much. I've made it to Day 4 at best the get creamed. Too bad because it is fun up to that point..... :(
Is there a difficulty setting? I'm guessing even if there is one, it makes no difference.
Yep, and I only played on easy!