Saw this in the news yesterday. I was just a day away from buying an XBOX One at Target as they have the console (sans kinect) on sale thru today for the regular price of $399.99 but with a Target $50 gift card included.
I know this game got mixed reviews but I've lusted after this title since it came out. I've watched all the videos and really think the weapon combat and finishing moves look great even though like Assassin's Creed they use QTEs.
The even better news about the game coming to PC this fall is that it will include all the additional DLC that you had to purchase on the XBOX as well as additional content not included in the console game. This will be a nice complement to playing Rome 2 TW as I can now get down n' dirty as a fully fleshed character in the Roman era. XBOX PC controller support will be included.
This was the first game I bought on my new xbox one....has great graphics and loved the finishing moves you can do, but really got bogged down for me....seemed to get fairly repetitive for me and never finished it. I guess will see how the PC version turns out, never downloaded any DLC so maybe that makes it better.
I was depressed that it was only out for consoles. Of course interested in getting Ryse. Will check out peeps' impressions upon release.
Never heard of it. What is it?
An action game set in ancient Rome.
This is surprising news. Hopefully it won't be a sloppy port.
Fingers crossed.
Quote from: tgb on August 09, 2014, 03:31:49 PM
Never heard of it. What is it?
Basically like a FPS action game, but back in roman times...you use the roman weapons to fight your way through missions versus guns and such. It has some good things in it and really looked great, just wished there was more variety. I am sure it will sell well on the PC since no other game really like it.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 09, 2014, 03:50:22 PM
Hopefully it won't be a sloppy port.
i think youre in Star's territory there
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on August 09, 2014, 04:42:24 PM
Quote from: tgb on August 09, 2014, 03:31:49 PM
Never heard of it. What is it?
Basically like a FPS action game, but back in roman times...you use the roman weapons to fight your way through missions versus guns and such. It has some good things in it and really looked great, just wished there was more variety. I am sure it will sell well on the PC since no other game really like it.
It's not first person, it's third person. There is no shortage of third person hackers with RPG elements on the PC.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 09, 2014, 05:09:13 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on August 09, 2014, 04:42:24 PM
Quote from: tgb on August 09, 2014, 03:31:49 PM
Never heard of it. What is it?
Basically like a FPS action game, but back in roman times...you use the roman weapons to fight your way through missions versus guns and such. It has some good things in it and really looked great, just wished there was more variety. I am sure it will sell well on the PC since no other game really like it.
It's not first person, it's third person.
Sorry, you are correct...was just more meaning how the action plays out..but your right.
It has some RPG elements in it?
Sounds enticing, if so. However, 1st/3rd-person console ports usually make me nauseous (literally) as a rule. I wish there were some way to ascertain that for sure before I purchased. I can often get a good idea if I see others complaining about it though. :'(
Quote from: Nefaro on August 09, 2014, 05:53:57 PM
It has some RPG elements in it?
Sounds enticing, if so. However, 1st/3rd-person console ports usually make me nauseous (literally) as a rule. I wish there were some way to ascertain that for sure before I purchased. I can often get a good idea if I see others complaining about it though. :'(
In a number of these games I also get a little motion sickness, but at least on the xbox one and this game, I did not have that issue at all.
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on August 09, 2014, 05:59:05 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on August 09, 2014, 05:53:57 PM
It has some RPG elements in it?
Sounds enticing, if so. However, 1st/3rd-person console ports usually make me nauseous (literally) as a rule. I wish there were some way to ascertain that for sure before I purchased. I can often get a good idea if I see others complaining about it though. :'(
In a number of these games I also get a little motion sickness, but at least on the xbox one and this game, I did not have that issue at all.
Good to hear. :)
Looks like released today for $39 at steam....
http://store.steampowered.com/app/302510/
Since I have on Xbox One version, no intention to pick it up...it has great graphics and I love the time period, just felt like doing the same thing to me.
I've got it and downloaded it via Steam but really haven't found yet the time to play it.
Hrmm.. isn't labelled as RPG. I'm passing if it's just another console Action game. :-[
Crap that's today?? This may be an expensive weekend. Thanks for the reminder.
So far...its friggin' awesome! What a pleasant Friday surprise!
I was gonna say, you Steam guys must be on crack to have not noticed it on there. I saw it a while ago popping up on the Steam merry-go-round and it looked interesting.
Its not the most complex game on the planet, but the graphics are excellent, the story is interesting, with a main character I can really identify with, and I just cannot see the executions getting old...they are simply spectacular.
How far in are you?
On Metacritic its overall score is around 70%.
Quote from: Gusington on October 10, 2014, 10:15:10 AM
How far in are you?
On Metacritic its overall score is around 70%.
I played for just under an hour this morning. So I still have a long way to go. I think I would rate the game a little higher based upon the setting and time period. Sort of like an Alien fan will rate Isolation higher then just a standard player with no particular interest in the fiction. Like I said, Ryse seems like a fairly simple hack and slasher, but so far its been really fun and I'm trying to plow through some work today so I can go back and play.
To be stoopid for a moment :uglystupid2:
Why is it called "RYSE: Son of Rome"? The character you play is named Marius Titus.
Kewlness factor?
Quote from: sandman2575 on October 10, 2014, 10:31:51 AM
To be stoopid for a moment :uglystupid2:
Why is it called "RYSE: Son of Rome"? The character you play is named Marius Titus.
I'm not sure why they spell "RYSE" the way they do...however, my best guess is that it has something to do with a legend that is told early on in the campaign about a betrayed Roman General who "rises" from the dead to exact vengeance on those who abandoned him. In the game, Marius is told of the tale by his father Leontius, a retired legionary, now serving Rome as a Senator and who seems to be seeking to censure Nero, the emperor. The player's father tells of the legend of "Damocles," who was abandoned to his enemies due to political expediency. With the help of Nemesis, the goddess of revenge, Damocles returned from the underworld to bring vengeance to those who wronged him. The moral of the story is to never be careless with the lives of Roman soldiers.
Anyway, I could be totally wrong, but this feels like it is going to be major plot element and its the only thing jumping out at me with respect to the title.
Like God of War but... more realistic/historical, for values of 'historical' that include Boudica besieging Rome on war elephants.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/8525-Ryse-Son-of-Rome
Be sure to apply the Yahtzee cynicism filter to neutralize his tone. ;)
Intriguing. Not often that you come across AAA games that have a little mystery in the title.
Major problem...
My God damn progress isn't being saved. Not sure if the problem is with me, or if this is a bug for the PC version. DAMN IT!
It was a cloud bug. They released a quick hotfix. Good sign of strong support.
Excellent. Calm your rage now!
The game is totally epic. It feels like you're controlling a legionnaire in the middle of a battle in Rome II Total War. I'm really liking the story so far and the cut scenes are fantastic. Again, relatively simple game play, but so far, very enjoyable. This is what the old Creative Assemble action game Spartan: Total Warrior should have been.
Have you played Shadow of Rome? I would think this would be similar and more refined.
Quote from: jomni on October 10, 2014, 08:22:06 PM
Have you played Shadow of Rome? I would think this would be similar and more refined.
I think I had that on the PS2? It must not have been that good because I only vaguely remember it.
Definitely getting this, after I complete Shadow of Mordor.
Quote from: Gusington on October 11, 2014, 03:38:57 PM
Definitely getting this, after I complete Shadow of Mordor.
This store has it only for $19, only catch is that they are out of stock so you won't get the key until Monday.
http://cdkeyshere.com/ryse-son-of-rome-cd-key.html#.VDmWJOl0yUk
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 11, 2014, 03:43:33 PM
Quote from: Gusington on October 11, 2014, 03:38:57 PM
Definitely getting this, after I complete Shadow of Mordor.
This store has it only for $19, only catch is that they are out of stock so you won't get the key until Monday.
http://cdkeyshere.com/ryse-son-of-rome-cd-key.html#.VDmWJOl0yUk
Is that a legit site?
Quote from: jomni on October 11, 2014, 05:10:17 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 11, 2014, 03:43:33 PM
Quote from: Gusington on October 11, 2014, 03:38:57 PM
Definitely getting this, after I complete Shadow of Mordor.
This store has it only for $19, only catch is that they are out of stock so you won't get the key until Monday.
http://cdkeyshere.com/ryse-son-of-rome-cd-key.html#.VDmWJOl0yUk
Is that a legit site?
I have bought one or two things from there without issue but up to each person to decide for themselves.
So you have to set up a VPN that says you're from Turkey? Is that right? Seems kinda dodgy to me.
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 11, 2014, 05:35:26 PM
So you have to set up a VPN that says you're from Turkey? Is that right? Seems kinda dodgy to me.
No, I have never done that for any game I have bought. Wouldn't even know how to do it:)
I got my copy from Green Man for 25% off, ~37.00. And no Turkish VPN :)
I would have got Ryse too but Green Man did not have it available yet. At least, I couldn't find it through their search.
Okay I've seen this game pop up on Steam but I didn't watch any of the trailers until now.
The first trailer, near the end, has the dude saying "Maximum Armor" and is encased in a Crysis-style modern combat armor suit. In ancient Rome. WTH???
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 12, 2014, 06:24:09 PM
Okay I've seen this game pop up on Steam but I didn't watch any of the trailers until now.
The first trailer, near the end, has the dude saying "Maximum Armor" and is encased in a Crysis-style modern combat armor suit. In ancient Rome. WTH???
In MP you can choose your character's skin.
The nanosuit is one of the possible options :P
Thanks, Tpek.
See, that's just wrong. I dunno. I don't play MP games much but including that makes me think you can don that modern combat armor and just kick major ass.
This game is definitely on my wishlist - I watched part of a Let's Play vid last night on this game and it looks awesome just as JH said it was.
I'm about 60 to 70% of the way through the campaign. The game has taken a sharp turn toward the ahistorical (don't worry, no crysis suits yet). This doesn't really bother me. I'm still really enjoying the game. Its going to be a relatively short campaign though. I'm more than half way through and only have about 4 hours in. It is very linear with no side missions or quests. Had they added some side missions, I think the game would have been much better because it would have felt more open world.
Hopefully there is some DLC on the way.
Quote from: Gusington on October 13, 2014, 03:29:49 PM
Hopefully there is some DLC on the way.
Yes. I'd like to see other theaters, like Egypt and Gaul, or maybe Carthage, etc.
Does Ryse take place around 400 AD?
Quote from: Gusington on October 13, 2014, 05:31:40 PM
Does Ryse take place around 400 AD?
Pelluhhaps you sheweld awsk your fwiend, Biggus Dickus? Pelluhhaps he is a Wohman and knows of these things.
Quote from: Gusington on October 13, 2014, 05:31:40 PM
Does Ryse take place around 400 AD?
It is impossible to date. It is very ahistorical. Nero is the Emperor and he ruled in approximately 60 AD. Additionally, the armor worn by the Romans is also early period lorica segmentata, so again, 70 to 80 AD. However, Rome does get sacked by barbarians in the game, so this leads one to believe it takes place perhaps much later. Who knows?
And sacked by... elephants.
Irish elephants.
Quote from: JasonPratt on October 13, 2014, 06:25:42 PM
And sacked by... elephants.
Irish elephants.
I haven't seen any elephants yet. In the game, you're actually fighting the Britons...
OK - I won't get too hung up on dates then.
For those interested, only 9.99
http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/ryse-son-of-rome/117707?
The final chapters take sort of a bizarre twist...and yes, there are elephants.
Jarhead,
I take it you finished the game. I played it non-stop until after the attack with the elephants and then took a break for awhile. I just came back to it and I'm at the part where I'm manning another ballista with my men and I'm fighting off more barbarians featuring some big badass with two big hammers! He's a pain to take down but eventually I'll get him! How much more of the game do I have to complete after this?