GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Grim.Reaper on August 10, 2014, 02:10:24 PM

Title: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: Grim.Reaper on August 10, 2014, 02:10:24 PM
Here is the announcement.....looks like $10 per each version......

http://www.battlefront.com/

Gentlemen, upgrade your war! The 3.0 Upgrades for Combat Mission Battle for Normandy and Combat Mission Fortress Italy are finally here! The Upgrades convert and upgrade your existing games (and any installed modules) automagically to include most of the advanced new CMx2 v3.00 game features! (This includes features you may already know and enjoy in Combat Mission: Red Thunder and makes them available for Normandy and Italy!)

* Upgrades must be purchased separately for each title. Currently, the Upgrade is available for PC platforms only. The Mac Upgrade is in the works and undergoing some additional compatibility testing for the latest version of OS X)



Graphics •Hit impacts to vehicles and bunkers now shown graphically ("hit decals")
•Water animates for fording units
•Improved shaders

Gameplay•Ground units are now able to fire at attacking aircraft
•Ammo Dumps allow platoons to have reserve ammo stored separately on map (automatically distributed for certain Skill Levels)
•WeGo TCP/IP with the ability to save but not the ability to replay combat action
•Spotters restricted to directing only one Mission at a time. Assets can now be group fired.
•More realistic/varied RoF of automatic weapons.
•Improved load time for scenarios, especially larger ones with complex terrain

User Interface •Three different sets of camera controls; Standard (traditional), First Person Shooter, and Real Time Strategy
•Optional graphical Command and Control link tracing
•KIAs are shown in the Soldier/Crew Panels to track soldiers lost during the game
•Option to disable music separate from other game sounds

Editor •Ability to create AI Triggers that execute actions based on other units or interaction with Objectives (existing battles do not have this, but it can be added by authors if they wish)
•Maximum map size increased
•Improved responsiveness of 2D editing, especially for large maps
•Improved load time for 3D Preview, especially large maps
•Customized "Mod Tags" for most graphics. This allows for multiple mods for the same item without the need to move items in/out of Data folder
•Ability to specify specific mods be used for a specific Scenario. If CM fails to find the specified mod it will use the default
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: sandman2575 on August 10, 2014, 02:23:05 PM
Thanks for posting -- was wondering how this was coming along.  ... there goes $20...
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: Zulu1966 on August 10, 2014, 03:05:21 PM
Excellent.

Well worth the money.

Now wait for all the  "shouldn't have to pay for an upgrade ... yada yada yada  ... posts"v   :uglystupid2:
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: panzerde on August 10, 2014, 03:49:52 PM
Thanks for posting, might not have seen that for a bit. Downloading both now!
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: RyanE on August 10, 2014, 04:28:17 PM
Noticed they aren't doing flame weapons or tank riders in 3.0.  I thought that was one of the main points of 3.0.  Is there any word if that is being added later?
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: Skoop on August 10, 2014, 05:05:07 PM
My question as well, I was hoping for those.
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: SgtRock on August 10, 2014, 05:19:50 PM
I understand what Battlefront is trying to do with the $10.00 upgrades, keep each CM2 game updated with the latest features
The question is how long can it go on? When there are 5 or 6 CM 2 games (next year?), who is willing to spend $50-60 just to upgrade them all? It may also take so much time & resources than even Battlefront can't upgrade more than 1 or 2 CM games a year. Battlefront said they can't even create an installer to install and upgrade the current CM2 games & expansions.
See:
http://www.battlefront.com/community/showpost.php?s=2ab2c915c668a81bd18fcf3c5500d5b6&p=1543653&postcount=17

Does their pricing make sense, if you bought the This complete edition of CM Normandy package at $95.00 today, you would still need to spend another $10.00 for the 3.0 upgrade. 

Does anyone else sell 3 year old games with a higher price even if it's been updated?  Just look at every other game, the base game is released, then the add-ons/DLC's etc. When the complete edition is released it's a lot cheaper. Battlefront's marketing and pricing sure is different. It's interesting that a small software company can buck the current marketing and pricing trends. I just wonder for how long?

How does one convince new buyers that the 3 year old game is worth the higher price than their newest game, let alone another $10 upgrade after you buy the complete edition package?

Image a Steam Sale where Sykrim Complete Edition is only $125 or if Matrix games ever followed this price scheme, WITP - AE would cost about $1,200.00 about now! ;D



Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: RyanE on August 10, 2014, 05:40:44 PM
The versioning is also getting a little out of control.  Different installers with the same version number, a 3.0 upgrade that gives you game version 1.20, an immediate re-release of CMFI 3.0 upgrade to 3.0b that gives you 1.20?  I am not sure.
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: SgtRock on August 10, 2014, 05:57:33 PM
Quote from: RyanE on August 10, 2014, 05:40:44 PM
The versioning is also getting a little out of control.  Different installers with the same version number, a 3.0 upgrade that gives you game version 1.20, an immediate re-release of CMFI 3.0 upgrade to 3.0b that gives you 1.20?  I am not sure.

1.20 is what you get after the 3.0 version upgrade, go figure?

It's been said once you lose version control, you can't get it back, like losing your virginity. :))

I just saw this posted

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showpost.php?s=0b121bdafe62257e4d0e0bb6e5da620c&p=1545372&postcount=2

QuoteWe had fixed the problem for CMRT and CMFI. It is not known to occur in CMBN. However, somehow the fix slipped out of the newest builds in the last week after it was verified. Maddening, but sometimes it happens.

Anyways, we're making a new version of the CMFI Upgrade right now that has the fix properly included. It should be live on the server today. All you'll have to do is redownload the Upgrade and reinstall it to fix the bug (if you have it).

We'll let you know when the fixed installer is live!

Looks like there be a new 3.0 upgrade and/or a new 1.20 version of the just released 3.0 - 1.20 version, clear now ???

Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: panzerde on August 10, 2014, 06:18:17 PM
You have to wonder why certain people even bother with CM threads. They loudly proclaim how they don't play the game, don't understand the pricing model, dislike the publisher, and now are morally opposed to the version control scheme. You'd think they'd have games they do like that they'd prefer to play and discuss.

And yet every time, here they are. It has to be some sort of hobby for them.

It'd be great to have a thread where those that play this series of games could discuss something like an upgrade without half the damn posts being a reaffirmation of how much other people dislike the game. Fine, got that. Got that the last two dozen times. I got it so much that I absolutely knew it was going to happen again. I guess I'll have to be the one to stop reading and commenting on CM threads here, since they are always 100% of the time going to turn into this.
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: RyanE on August 10, 2014, 06:20:59 PM
There seems to be growing confusion on the BFC boards about patch order.  Some conflicting information.  I am not sure, with their current DRM system, there is any simple solution here.  There are just too many moving parts.  I still think it would have been better and easier to have one consolidated engine and then modules only.

With all that said, my install seems to have gone smoother than normal.  I think I got all my possible kinks ironed out in the last reinstall disaster.

My wife is already making rumblings about upgrading both of our laptops.  It is weird that one of the things holding me back from jumping at a new laptop is losing CM activations and the work needed to reinstall/reactivate.
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: RyanE on August 10, 2014, 06:28:09 PM
Quote from: panzerde on August 10, 2014, 06:18:17 PM
You have to wonder why certain people even bother with CM threads. They loudly proclaim how they don't play the game, don't understand the pricing model, dislike the publisher, and now are morally opposed to the version control scheme. You'd think they'd have games they do like that they'd prefer to play and discuss.

And yet every time, here they are. It has to be some sort of hobby for them.

It'd be great to have a thread where those that play this series of games could discuss something like an upgrade without half the damn posts being a reaffirmation of how much other people dislike the game. Fine, got that. Got that the last two dozen times. I got it so much that I absolutely knew it was going to happen again. I guess I'll have to be the one to stop reading and commenting on CM threads here, since they are always 100% of the time going to turn into this.

I think the main issue is that there aren't many boards with balanced discussion.  The BFC boards are just chock full of people that brook no complaint about CM games.  This is a board where you can calmly speak your mind and give honest feedback.  Its good to hear the bad and not have it drowned out by a bunch of sycophants.
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: SgtRock on August 10, 2014, 06:43:31 PM
Quote from: RyanE on August 10, 2014, 04:28:17 PM
Noticed they aren't doing flame weapons or tank riders in 3.0.  I thought that was one of the main points of 3.0.  Is there any word if that is being added later?


Maybe you don't understand, upgrades don't include new weapons  or maybe the History channel convinced them flame weapons or tank riders weren't used in Normandy! :buck2:

Don't worry I'm sure they'll be happy to sell you these features in the future, just keep your credit card on standby!

Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: RyanE on August 10, 2014, 06:48:07 PM
I don't mind paying for it...really.  I just want to know when.  For my own curiosity.
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: SgtRock on August 10, 2014, 07:22:18 PM
Quote from: panzerde on August 10, 2014, 06:18:17 PM
You have to wonder why certain people even bother with CM threads. They loudly proclaim how they don't play the game, don't understand the pricing model, dislike the publisher, and now are morally opposed to the version control scheme. You'd think they'd have games they do like that they'd prefer to play and discuss.

And yet every time, here they are. It has to be some sort of hobby for them.

It'd be great to have a thread where those that play this series of games could discuss something like an upgrade without half the damn posts being a reaffirmation of how much other people dislike the game. Fine, got that. Got that the last two dozen times. I got it so much that I absolutely knew it was going to happen again. I guess I'll have to be the one to stop reading and commenting on CM threads here, since they are always 100% of the time going to turn into this.

Just like the fanboys who see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil!!! It's funny, no one yet on the Battlefront forums asked why flame weapons or tank riders aren't in the 3.0 release or why their CM 2 games don't upgrade 3.0. It's funny some one buys the 3.0 upgrades but, it only upgrades to 1.20 for one product and 2.20 for another. I don't own any of the new CM games but, was helping some one who does, because they thought something was wrong on their end!







Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: Nefaro on August 10, 2014, 07:36:03 PM
Quote from: RyanE on August 10, 2014, 06:28:09 PM
Quote from: panzerde on August 10, 2014, 06:18:17 PM
You have to wonder why certain people even bother with CM threads. They loudly proclaim how they don't play the game, don't understand the pricing model, dislike the publisher, and now are morally opposed to the version control scheme. You'd think they'd have games they do like that they'd prefer to play and discuss.

And yet every time, here they are. It has to be some sort of hobby for them.

It'd be great to have a thread where those that play this series of games could discuss something like an upgrade without half the damn posts being a reaffirmation of how much other people dislike the game. Fine, got that. Got that the last two dozen times. I got it so much that I absolutely knew it was going to happen again. I guess I'll have to be the one to stop reading and commenting on CM threads here, since they are always 100% of the time going to turn into this.

I think the main issue is that there aren't many boards with balanced discussion.  The BFC boards are just chock full of people that brook no complaint about CM games.  This is a board where you can calmly speak your mind and give honest feedback.  Its good to hear the bad and not have it drowned out by a bunch of sycophants.

Well said.

I tend to investigate my pricier game purchases beforehand on gaming forums anymore.  It's a good reason for hanging out at places like this, both for input and output.  Pushing to squelch all criticism of certain titles isn't fitting.  This isn't the Battlefront or Ubi forums, so I hope to see people continue speaking their minds on such things without being accosted by aforementioned sycophants.
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: Jarhead0331 on August 10, 2014, 08:05:21 PM
Guys...cool it down a bit. I think we're all mature enough to discuss a CM update without getting angry or personal. Thanks.
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: jomni on August 10, 2014, 09:29:45 PM
Battlefront has a great fan base that's willing to buy whatever they put out.  They are happy with the product and the way Battlefront runs the shop.

For those against battlefront's practices, I think there's no need to convince them to your side. Especially when one insinuates that fans are blind followers.  This is where the animosity comes in. Do you do this because you want to put BF out of business?

And for CM fans, no need to convince people to buy the game. No need proclaiming to the world that it is the best tactical game that ever existed. Will BF die if they don't get more customers?
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: Con on August 10, 2014, 09:33:34 PM
I think we will need to change the name of the forum to Religion Politics and Battlefront

I have never seen any topic that can derail more quickly than CM.

That being said I like the games but at this point I am very confused with base games modules and patches.  I will buy the $10 patch but I would be just happier if they called it DLC which is the way they are indirectly marketing it.  My biggest gripe about the implementation of this is that CM is in my opinion best suited for play against another player and PBEM games are difficult enough to set up and commit time to without layering additional complexity of versions incompatibility.

Con
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: bayonetbrant on August 10, 2014, 10:30:31 PM
It's fine to like a game and talk about why.
It's fine to not like a game and talk about why not.

It's not OK to not like a game and talk about other people who do like it.  Just walk away and leave them alone, especially if you don't even own the game in question.

Edit: the "don't own it" clause is a main reason you rarely see me in the computer gaming forums...
:coolsmiley:
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: Yskonyn on August 11, 2014, 02:27:48 AM
That's the point isn't it. Panzerde already touched upon it; the most annoying people are those on a crusade against BFC and its clientele (or any other games dev/publisher for that matter), while they don't even own, nor have owned the game in question.

I am happy to discuss the pros and cons of a game with a fellow gamer (of the series or title). Naysayer or otherwise.
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: undercovergeek on August 11, 2014, 02:59:21 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 10, 2014, 10:30:31 PM
Edit: the "don't own it" clause is a main reason you rarely see me in the computer gaming forums...
:coolsmiley:

are you strictly cardboard?
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: MikeGER on August 11, 2014, 04:08:10 AM
... i would wait a few day with getting the 3.0 stuff to check if any problems pop up or not?
 
there was/is a nasty bug (Inf. don't enter buildings of some sort, and not all users are effected ... its kind of strange?) in RT and also in FI .... Of course Battlefront is working hard on the problem ...
Now there is a single report that the fresh released 3.0 update 'imported' that bug into BN? 
(while the bug got cleared from the FI  with the update in its hotfixed-variant with a "b" at the end)
the next release from Battlefront will be the (free)patch for RT, which will eliminate the bug.

so maybe i wait until that RT patch is out and the dust has settled from around the 3.0 engine updates to BN and FI  ...and the community is in consensus (well sort of ;)) that all 3 games (RT, Fi, BN ) in their latest version are fixed (and nothing gamebraking new stuff is discovered)

btw . Of course I own them all: CM:A, CM:SF and DLCs  CM:BN, CM:FI, CM:RT  and its DLCs  and even that Android game  ;D   
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: bayonetbrant on August 11, 2014, 04:57:26 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on August 11, 2014, 02:59:21 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 10, 2014, 10:30:31 PM
Edit: the "don't own it" clause is a main reason you rarely see me in the computer gaming forums...
:coolsmiley:

are you strictly cardboard?

Almost.  I play a LOT of the Civ series (hence the AARs) and I really enjoy Card Hunter during slow times at the office.  I've got the new Ancient Battles: Rome from Hunted Cow that I'll be reviewing, but otherwise, I'm pretty much all tabletop.  I probably play more digital wargames on my phone than my computer.
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: RyanE on August 11, 2014, 07:00:24 AM
I think I am seeing the no-infantry in buildings bug in CMBN.  But trying get at info on the BFC site right now is like digging in mud.
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: Rayfer on August 11, 2014, 07:13:47 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 10, 2014, 10:30:31 PM
It's fine to like a game and talk about why.
It's fine to not like a game and talk about why not.

It's not OK to not like a game and talk about other people who do like it.  Just walk away and leave them alone, especially if you don't even own the game in question.

Edit: the "don't own it" clause is a main reason you rarely see me in the computer gaming forums...
:coolsmiley:

Well stated...excellent and a must read for everyone who posts here.  Thanks.
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 11, 2014, 08:10:17 AM
Do I have 3.0 if I bought the Russian game? Or do I have to buy the updates for these ones too?
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: Yskonyn on August 11, 2014, 08:14:16 AM
JD, Red Thunder is the 3.0 version of the engine already.

The v3.0 engine upgrade is only for CMBN and FI to get the new functionality in those games that was introduced by Red Thunder.
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 11, 2014, 08:40:58 AM
Yeah - but I thought in the past you could get the engine upgrade free is you bought the next gen game/engine.

So I guess my question is - do I have to buy the 3.0 engine update for BfN and FI or did the install of RT update those previous games to the new engine?
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: Asid on August 11, 2014, 08:41:40 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 11, 2014, 08:40:58 AM
Yeah - but I thought in the past you could get the engine upgrade free is you bought the next gen game/engine.

So I guess my question is - do I have to buy the 3.0 engine update for BfN and FI or did the install of RT update those previous games to the new engine?

You buy each separate
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 11, 2014, 08:45:28 AM
I was sure my BfN engine was updated to 2 when FI came out (or some kind of crazy mix)...so that isn't the case?

Bear in mind - I HAVE Red Thunder....so Red Thunder and the 3.0 engine are installed on my system - I just want to be clear whether I need to buy the 3.0 update for BfN and FI or whether they were updated to the 3.0 engine when I installed Red Thunder or indeed if they weren't updated on install of Red Thunder then I get a free download of BfN and FI because I bought Red Thunder...as I said, I'm sure that's the way it worked before.

Given my terrible memory I could be wrong - but I was sure that was the case!
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: MikeGER on August 11, 2014, 08:45:44 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on August 11, 2014, 08:14:16 AM
...to get the new functionality in those games that was introduced by Red Thunder.

well, AFAIK: minus the flamethrowers and tankriders, so  :-/
(there are rumors the code is already in there, but the particular flamer-weapons not (yet) ...those may get added later, ...i hope for free with a patch? not a DLC) 

Tankrider will not show up , because it was not official doctrine on that front ...and historical not used often enuf beside as taxi in the save rear areas  (in Battlefronts opinion) to get included
(well, all the Allied vehicles modells would have need some '3.0 overhowling' to bring that feature too)   
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 11, 2014, 08:46:54 AM
Their update/purchase/module/patch system throws me EVERYTIME!  ::)
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: MikeGER on August 11, 2014, 08:52:37 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 11, 2014, 08:46:54 AM
Their update/purchase/module/patch system throws me EVERYTIME!  ::)

i hope they go to Steam one day too (Matrix / Slithere fought a rearguard action against that for some years and now they on it)  and updates and DLC will be handled much easier then
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: undercovergeek on August 11, 2014, 09:21:02 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 11, 2014, 08:40:58 AM
Yeah - but I thought in the past you could get the engine upgrade free is you bought the next gen game/engine.

So I guess my question is - do I have to buy the 3.0 engine update for BfN and FI or did the install of RT update those previous games to the new engine?

what Asid said - an upgrade for the others needs buying
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 11, 2014, 09:33:09 AM
ok - so I hear ya...

But...am I going mental  :uglystupid2: or DID thy used to upgrade previous engines with the new engine IF you purchased the new game?
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: undercovergeek on August 11, 2014, 09:45:23 AM
dont think so, i remember paying a tenner for 2.0 after CMFI came out

i think its a tenner per family which is why you dont need one for MG
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 11, 2014, 09:47:03 AM
ok. Seems I am going a little doo-laly
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: undercovergeek on August 11, 2014, 09:47:41 AM
paint fumes
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 11, 2014, 09:47:48 AM
Oh - and thanks everyone for listening and answering the ramblings of a nutty forgetful Jock  :crazy2:
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 11, 2014, 09:49:10 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on August 11, 2014, 09:47:41 AM
paint fumes
I have a a paint booth now
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: undercovergeek on August 11, 2014, 09:51:32 AM
sounds fancy

does it serve drinks?
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 11, 2014, 10:05:20 AM
lol - I wish
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: bboyer66 on August 11, 2014, 11:38:12 AM
My 2 cents.

Just recently I was looking into purchasing Normandy or the new Russian themed game. Really enjoyed the modern Syria version despite some of its early bugs. Anyways, after about 5 minutes of trying to figure out what the hell I needed to buy and patch, I said fuck it. Maybe when things are a little more clear, I will put down the 100+ dollars to get into the game.

Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: sandman2575 on August 11, 2014, 12:06:31 PM
Yeah, the updating process is needlessly confusing from a version number standpoint.  If I understand it correctly:

CMBN v.2.12 (currently latest version) + new 3.0 update = CMBN v.2.20

Makes perfect sense, no?   :-\
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: Yskonyn on August 11, 2014, 03:41:18 PM
Quote from: MikeGER on August 11, 2014, 08:45:44 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on August 11, 2014, 08:14:16 AM
...to get the new functionality in those games that was introduced by Red Thunder.

well, AFAIK: minus the flamethrowers and tankriders, so  :-/
(there are rumors the code is already in there, but the particular flamer-weapons not (yet) ...those may get added later, ...i hope for free with a patch? not a DLC) 

Tankrider will not show up , because it was not official doctrine on that front ...and historical not used often enuf beside as taxi in the save rear areas  (in Battlefronts opinion) to get included
(well, all the Allied vehicles modells would have need some '3.0 overhowling' to bring that feature too)   

You are correct, but that can be considered 'content'.
This patch is an 'internal game engine upgrade', if you will. Not a content patch.
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: Con on August 11, 2014, 07:50:30 PM
Anyone else seen or heard any additional information on potential bugs with the update?  I am about to buy it but wanted to see if there were still any reported issues with it.

Thanks
Con
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: jomni on August 11, 2014, 07:54:13 PM
No option to buy CMBN fully updated? Even if it is more expensive?
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: Nefaro on August 11, 2014, 08:16:07 PM
Quote from: jomni on August 11, 2014, 07:54:13 PM
No option to buy CMBN fully updated? Even if it is more expensive?

You'd think they would offer a package deal, or something similar, for new buyers.

They should really just get with the times and keep it modular.  Like CK2, Graviteam Tactics, or a host of others.  Sell DLC or Standalone expansions left and right but update the core game to keep everyone compatible and eliminate confusion.  They originally had this plan for 'CMx2' but changed their mind after the first expansion.
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: jomni on August 11, 2014, 09:25:54 PM
And you use Graviteam (patching hell) as an example.  :knuppel2:
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: Nefaro on August 11, 2014, 10:49:05 PM
Quote from: jomni on August 11, 2014, 09:25:54 PM
And you use Graviteam (patching hell) as an example.  :knuppel2:

The patching process is finicky.  But at least the main program is updated with the same individual executable, no matter what expansions you have.  So everyone is on the same version no matter what mix of expansions.

It's how most of them do it anymore.  Even little indies.  AI War is just another of the many examples.  Even if someone were to pass up the latest expansion, they can still get the update to the core game and have no problems connecting with others who may have some content they do not.  Wave of the future, dude!  :o
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: Yskonyn on August 12, 2014, 12:30:40 AM
With only a handful of people BFC can be considered a little indie too. :)

But I agree that it would be nice if they offered a fully updated bundle.
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 12, 2014, 12:35:58 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on August 12, 2014, 12:30:40 AM
With only a handful of people BFC can be considered a little indie too. :)

But I agree that it would be nice if they offered a fully updated bundle.
Really? I would suggest they're as "indie" as Paradox.
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: MikeGER on August 12, 2014, 02:21:05 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on August 11, 2014, 03:41:18 PM

You are correct, but that can be considered 'content'.
This patch is an 'internal game engine upgrade', if you will. Not a content patch.

...well, it would not have hurt for a $10 pricetag, to give all factions a 2 men flamethrower engineer unit in the OOB somewhere deep down in the engineer selection of troops for 'to purchase' for QB and scenario designers to 'showcase the future content' 
i don't have information of American or German flamethrower teams in historical use on the western front in the timescale of BN and its module, but i guess they were there as part of the Pioniere on both sides
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: RyanE on August 12, 2014, 05:42:03 AM
What's starting to concern me is the number of threads on BFC where someone is asking if issue X is fixed, BFC replies yes, but then someone points out its not.  There are three or four and BFC has already said they forgot to put one fix in the current installer.  And that has seemed to cause quite a bit of confusion over what version is in the current installer.

Again, version control seems to becoming a bigger and bigger problem.
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: Sir Slash on August 12, 2014, 10:14:16 AM
I've been on the verge of buying Market/Garden but have held off just because of the whole version and bugs controversy. And because I'm afraid 3.0 may screw-up my old save games somehow or at least make them harder--- God forbid. I don't see a real need to jump on an upgrade for either game. Maybe if a "Bulge" DLC comes out for CMBN.
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: undercovergeek on August 12, 2014, 10:28:23 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on August 12, 2014, 10:14:16 AM
Maybe if a "Bulge" DLC comes out for CMBN.

already in the works
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: Sir Slash on August 12, 2014, 10:48:38 AM
Will we need 3.0?
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: undercovergeek on August 12, 2014, 11:16:37 AM
theres 2 options that i can see

it will be new family and therefore will be already 3

or if its extension to CMBN then yeah i would imagine youll need 3 - but its a way off yet
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: Elvis on August 12, 2014, 03:01:17 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on August 12, 2014, 10:48:38 AM
Will we need 3.0?

If I remember what has been said publicly, the Bulge will be a new family. Which means it will already be 3.0 or maybe the first 4.0......

And regarding your saved games and 3.0. I haven't tried it but I am close to 100% certain that 2.0 saves will not run in 3.0
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: Boggit on August 12, 2014, 03:16:30 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 11, 2014, 04:57:26 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on August 11, 2014, 02:59:21 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 10, 2014, 10:30:31 PM
Edit: the "don't own it" clause is a main reason you rarely see me in the computer gaming forums...
:coolsmiley:

are you strictly cardboard?

Almost.  I play a LOT of the Civ series (hence the AARs) and I really enjoy Card Hunter during slow times at the office.  I've got the new Ancient Battles: Rome from Hunted Cow that I'll be reviewing, but otherwise, I'm pretty much all tabletop.  I probably play more digital wargames on my phone than my computer.
You should check out Slitherine's Heroes of Normandie - that might be right up your street. It is a board game conversion written in Unity, so multiplatform. 8)
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: Boggit on August 12, 2014, 03:27:36 PM
Quote from: Elvis on August 12, 2014, 03:01:17 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on August 12, 2014, 10:48:38 AM
Will we need 3.0?

If I remember what has been said publicly, the Bulge will be a new family. Which means it will already be 3.0 or maybe the first 4.0......

And regarding your saved games and 3.0. I haven't tried it but I am close to 100% certain that 2.0 saves will not run in 3.0
So do you know if there will be a content update for CMBN to include Canadian Wasps, Churchill Crocs, the Hanomag Sdkfw 16 Flammenwerfer, and as Mike_Ger said flamethrowers for the Pionere, and Combat Engineers? Oh, and the Allies and Germans did have tank riders on the Western Front, and not just in rear areas as Mike Ger suggested. I've seen archive footage with it. But Battlefront are right in that the combat doctrine in usage was different on the Eastern Front.
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: Elvis on August 12, 2014, 03:38:20 PM
Quote from: Boggit on August 12, 2014, 03:27:36 PM
Quote from: Elvis on August 12, 2014, 03:01:17 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on August 12, 2014, 10:48:38 AM
Will we need 3.0?

If I remember what has been said publicly, the Bulge will be a new family. Which means it will already be 3.0 or maybe the first 4.0......

And regarding your saved games and 3.0. I haven't tried it but I am close to 100% certain that 2.0 saves will not run in 3.0
So do you know if there will be a content update for CMBN to include Canadian Wasps, Churchill Crocs, the Hanomag Sdkfw 16 Flammenwerfer, and as Mike_Ger said flamethrowers for the Pionere, and Combat Engineers? Oh, and the Allies and Germans did have tank riders on the Western Front, and not just in rear areas as Mike Ger suggested. I've seen archive footage with it. But Battlefront are right in that the combat doctrine in usage was different on the Eastern Front.

BFC have mentioned for a long time that they would be making a "Pack" of odds and ends for Normandy (and if memory serves, that is the plan for closing out content for each family.....but that memory is fuzzier). Publicly giving details on what will be in it and when it can be expected to be released are above my pay grade.  ;)
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: MikeGER on August 13, 2014, 02:21:15 AM
Boggit ...i did some Battlefront Forum 'archeology' and 'digged' through  RT, FI, and BN subforum after the latest 3.0-engine releases for some time

The conclusion is: they can do a 'pack' which contains vehicles ...its not known when and if, but the probability seems high we will see it in the future to come. 

The tankriders is a different story: It was reported that each model of about 200 western front vehicles (give and take) had to get some 'artistic handcrafted' adjustments so that the soldiers are fitting right (clipping, animations, n'such) and that's an workload of estimated 250 hours one pass (then will come the testing and possible readjusting, the usual bug hunt, etc... for a second pass, and so on) and that workload was just not covered in this $10

Now i got a question someone who has actually bought the "3.0" for either BN ot FI or both please can answer:
Did the management of the airsupport in BN and FI change to the RT behavior or not, or is there something in the middle now in FI and BN? 

No FO: aircraft in the scenario show up, and do there thing  (like in RT)

There is a FO:  aircraft in the scenario show up,  and do there thing alone (but the FO provides status information when, and if they return, etc ...no targeting anymore) (like in RT)

There is a FO:  aircraft in the scenario show up, and FO call out a target(area) to strike
(but in difference to the old version those aircrafts are getting fired upon by the enemy and strikes may get  'driven off' or 'canceled' according to the volume of enemy AAA fire. 
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: MikeGER on August 14, 2014, 08:12:42 AM
Quote from: MikeGER on August 13, 2014, 02:21:15 AM
Now i got a question someone who has actually bought the "3.0" for either BN or FI or both please can answer:
Did the management of the airsupport in BN and FI change to the RT behavior or not, or is there something in the middle now in FI and BN? 

...i can talk to myself now  ;)
in the meantime a took the plunge and got both updates , and tested airsupport in a CM BN quick battle
Answer: behavior in BN is now like in RT  (Observer(s) provide status info on the plane. Plane does its thing and picks targets on its own)
I assume it will be handled in FI the same way   
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: Con on August 14, 2014, 01:32:25 PM
Quote from: sandman2575 on August 11, 2014, 12:06:31 PM
Yeah, the updating process is needlessly confusing from a version number standpoint.  If I understand it correctly:

CMBN v.2.12 (currently latest version) + new 3.0 update = CMBN v.2.20

Makes perfect sense, no?   :-\

So I am confused as well just bought the upgrade and I see it lists it as V2.20

Hopefully this means it has applied the 3.0 patch

Con
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: MikeGER on August 14, 2014, 01:42:15 PM
Con,  that is correct. You have the "3.0-game-engine"-update   
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: Con on August 14, 2014, 01:57:48 PM
Yep just went in and tested a game and saw some of the RT updates on one of scenarios in CMBN CW module (Surrender Invites Death) a partcularly horrible scenario but one with lots and lots of armor so quick way to see the graphical hit decals.

Con
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: Yskonyn on August 14, 2014, 03:38:31 PM
Yes they chose to increment the version number as modules usually make it jump a whole digit (like from 2.2 to 3.0).
I can understand the reasoning, but it does cause confusion .
More intuïtive had been to make it 3.2 and just let the next module up it to v4.
Title: Re: Battlefront Combat Mission Normandy and Italy - 3.0 Upgrade now available
Post by: Father Ted on August 14, 2014, 04:01:42 PM
Quote from: sandman2575 on August 11, 2014, 12:06:31 PM
Yeah, the updating process is needlessly confusing from a version number standpoint.  If I understand it correctly:

CMBN v.2.12 (currently latest version) + new 3.0 update = CMBN v.2.20

Makes perfect sense, no?   :-\

Yeah, I saw v2.20 and thought my install had failed, but the game appears to have upgraded.  By my logic we should be on v3.0, or else the update is 0.08.