http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28764207
"A prominent Jewish group, the Simon Wiesenthal Centre, has asked the French government to rename a small village in central France that is currently called 'Death to Jews' ('La Mort aux Juifs')."
i mean, what ???
I believe a good, solid "WTF?!" is called for here.
I'm more surprised that (apparently) no one noticed this til now. ???
You would have thought round about 1945 they'd have said 'you know, I don't think our village name is quite right'
Personally, I don't see the problem. Looks like an absolutely charming place to live and raise a family.
My MA adviser write a book called From Squaw Tit to Whorehouse Meadow: How Maps Name, Claim, and Inflame. Sound like this place should be in there.
Quote from: Airborne Rifles on August 13, 2014, 06:45:04 AM
My MA adviser write a book called From Squaw Tit to Whorehouse Meadow: How Maps Name, Claim, and Inflame. Sound like this place should be in there.
Is this a book about the best places to retire?
Well at least no one can accuse that French village of hiding their true colors.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 13, 2014, 06:56:41 AM
Quote from: Airborne Rifles on August 13, 2014, 06:45:04 AM
My MA adviser write a book called From Squaw Tit to Whorehouse Meadow: How Maps Name, Claim, and Inflame. Sound like this place should be in there.
Is this a book about the best places to retire?
Depends on the retiree, I guess.
Just to be fair, you've gotta include the Spaniards in this WTF-issue (but they did just recently vote to change the name).
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/spanish-town-camp-kill-jews-votes-new-article-1.1806276
Quote from: undercovergeek on August 13, 2014, 06:25:58 AM
You would have thought round about 1945 they'd have said 'you know, I don't think our village name is quite right'
Ya think?
Sheesh.
Quote from: LongBlade on August 13, 2014, 09:22:23 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on August 13, 2014, 06:25:58 AM
You would have thought round about 1945 they'd have said 'you know, I don't think our village name is quite right'
Ya think?
Sheesh.
+1
Call me a bigot, but I'll question the character of every single inhabitant of that village, and call them flaming anti-Semites until proven otherwise.
Quote from: LongBlade on August 13, 2014, 09:22:23 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on August 13, 2014, 06:25:58 AM
You would have thought round about 1945 they'd have said 'you know, I don't think our village name is quite right'
Ya think?
Sheesh.
Considering that the Village has been around since the 13th century, you'd think they would have changed the name long before 1945...like maybe at some point during the Renaissance.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 13, 2014, 10:57:50 AM
Quote from: LongBlade on August 13, 2014, 09:22:23 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on August 13, 2014, 06:25:58 AM
You would have thought round about 1945 they'd have said 'you know, I don't think our village name is quite right'
Ya think?
Sheesh.
Considering that the Village has been around since the 13th century, you'd think they would have changed the name long before 1945...like maybe at some point during the Renaissance.
I agree. But antisemitism is a longstanding tradition in Europe for many inexplicable reasons. 1945 should have been the nail in the coffin.
I'm continually amazed at the overtly offensive opinions that are shrugged off by many common Europeans as non-offensive. I'm hardly a PC extremist, but even I know there are some things you just don't think, say, or do, based on ethnicity, race, religion, etc.
I was even on national radio talking about it, almost 10 years ago:
http://www.bayonetgames.com/images/BrantOnTheHerdOnESPN.mp3
Everything old is new again...especially in France.
Quote from: Gusington on August 13, 2014, 01:02:02 PMEverything old is new again...especially in France.
Wait, we're talking about cheese now?
Quote from: LongBlade on August 13, 2014, 11:11:22 AM
I agree. But antisemitism is a longstanding tradition in Europe for many inexplicable reasons. 1945 should have been the nail in the coffin.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Ffc06.deviantart.net%2Ffs70%2Ff%2F2010%2F057%2F4%2F7%2FThe_Bear_Jew_by_AwesomenessDK.jpg&hash=34a84d7924befe01fbb58913ad876f27bbae0db4)
Sorry, Star. I don't get the reference.
Star and JH are bear jews.
Quote from: Gusington on August 13, 2014, 02:55:46 PM
Star and JH are bear jews.
OK. But the quote below? Seems rather anti-semitic to me.
Inglourious Basterds?
Quote from: undercovergeek on August 13, 2014, 04:59:21 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28764207
"A prominent Jewish group, the Simon Wiesenthal Centre, has asked the French government to rename a small village in central France that is currently called 'Death to Jews' ('La Mort aux Juifs')."
i mean, what ???
I guess being politically correct isn't such a big deal in France.
Quote from: LongBlade on August 13, 2014, 03:00:49 PM
Quote from: Gusington on August 13, 2014, 02:55:46 PM
Star and JH are bear jews.
OK. But the quote below? Seems rather anti-semitic to me.
It's from the movie "Inglourious Basterds". If you have not seen it, the movie is about (among other things) an Allied commando unit made up of Jewish soldiers who are sent in to occupied France to basically terrorize the German occupiers. Surviving German soldiers refer to the guy pictured as 'The Bear Jew' because he is such a big scary guy (and bludgeons Germans to death with a baseball bat).
The quote below the caption is the Bear Jew's commanding officer (Brad Pitt, btw) telling him to retroactively abort one of their German prisoners while the other prisoner is forced to watch.
It's a Quentin Tarantino film so it gets really out there after a while but I definitely recommend watching it sometime.
Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 13, 2014, 03:43:04 PM
Inglourious Basterds?
Another movie I need to see. The list, it seems, is endless.
^All cleared up now?
Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 13, 2014, 12:59:53 PM
I'm continually amazed at the overtly offensive opinions that are shrugged off by many common Europeans as non-offensive. I'm hardly a PC extremist, but even I know there are some things you just don't think, say, or do, based on ethnicity, race, religion, etc.
I was even on national radio talking about it, almost 10 years ago:
http://www.bayonetgames.com/images/BrantOnTheHerdOnESPN.mp3
There is not a single multicultural country in the World which doesnt have issues with rascisme, but it cuts both way even though some people for one reason or another think that only a majority "race" og religion can be rascist. Its just that in some countries its more hidden then in others because of PC.
At one point Denmark was proclaimed as a rascist country because people spoke opently about not wanting any more people from middle East coming to our country so the government started restricting immigration. In sweden you didnt have that discussion with the result that you now have more then 100.000 immigrants from the middle East a year, mind you this is a country with 8 mill inhabitants. Large parts of sweden is now inhabitated by foreigners who doesnt speak the language, doesnt Work and where the police and firebrigades cant enter. I know what I prefer so call me rascist any day of the week
Quote from: jejo68 on August 16, 2014, 04:01:15 AM
At one point Denmark was proclaimed as a rascist country because people spoke opently about not wanting any more people from middle East coming to our country so the government started restricting immigration. In sweden you didnt have that discussion with the result that you now have more then 100.000 immigrants from the middle East a year, mind you this is a country with 8 mill inhabitants. Large parts of sweden is now inhabitated by foreigners who doesnt speak the language, doesnt Work and where the police and firebrigades cant enter. I know what I prefer so call me rascist any day of the week
I was thinking more about throwing bananas at black players at sporting events, or referring to Oriental people openly as "slant-eyes" or "chingers". I am 100% in favor of immigrants learning the language of the country in which they aspire to live and even more in favor of the government not catering to those immigrants by providing for them in alternate languages.
Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 16, 2014, 07:28:03 AM
I was thinking more about throwing bananas at black players at sporting events, or referring to Oriental people openly as "slant-eyes" or "chingers".
It's part of a sub-"culture" called hooliganism and yes, it's a European phenomenon.
But it's hardly a crowd qualifying as a norm in any country.
If you take a closer look at these people, you'll soon realize that they (for the vast majority) are youngsters/skinheads and you can be damn sure they don't have a job, Probably never had.
I'll start to worry the day the average Mr/Mrs Smith, Nielsen, Schultz or whatever behaves like that at sporting events.
well maybe brant, but if I recall you talk about how the germans treat the turkish minority.
Now lets examine that for a moment. you have a minority of 6mill turks in germany where the turkish prime minister during a visit to germany tells how they must never become germans but must remain turkish at Heart. Then he tells them that the minaretes in germany is to be considered muslim forward bases in Europe, and you dont expect people to be just a tad upset at that?
How would you feel if the mexican president came to the US and said that mexicans living there must never consider themselves as Americans and that texas is to be considered a forward base for mexican expansion ?
EDIT:
oh and as Atilla60 said the banana throwing etc is done by a very small minority of holigans who in general hates everyone not just racial or religious minorities.
Quote from: jejo68 on August 16, 2014, 09:06:55 AM
well maybe brant, but if I recall you talk about how the germans treat the turkish minority.
Now lets examine that for a moment. you have a minority of 6mill turks in germany where the turkish prime minister during a visit to germany tells how they must never become germans but must remain turkish at Heart. Then he tells them that the minaretes in germany is to be considered muslim forward bases in Europe, and you dont expect people to be just a tad upset at that?
How would you feel if the mexican president came to the US and said that mexicans living there must never consider themselves as Americans and that texas is to be considered a forward base for mexican expansion ?
EDIT:
oh and as Atilla60 said the banana throwing etc is done by a very small minority of holigans who in general hates everyone not just racial or religious minorities.
We have the same tensions in the UK. When you have muslim gangs hiding behind accusations of police racism meanwhile targeting the white community for vulnerable children (in care, looked after by single parents) to be passed around amongst them as sex toys, and pimping them as child prostitutes, is it surprising the muslim communities are increasingly distrusted and disliked? They certainly wouldn't do it in their own self imposed ghetto communities.