GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: bbmike on August 14, 2014, 08:13:48 PM

Title: Steam Update Issues
Post by: bbmike on August 14, 2014, 08:13:48 PM
So Steam just updated itself (new desktop icon and everything) but now it's freezing on me. Anyone else having issues after this latest update?
Title: Re: Steam Update Issues
Post by: -budd- on August 14, 2014, 08:21:36 PM
Just started mine up, no problems......yet.
Title: Re: Steam Update Issues
Post by: bbmike on August 14, 2014, 08:26:16 PM
After a little more investigation, it appears the problem is caused by using a custom skin. I was using a larger font skin to make things easier to read. If I delete everything in the skins folder it seems to run fine. Looks like I'm back to tiny, tiny fonts for now.  :-\
Title: Re: Steam Update Issues
Post by: Gusington on August 14, 2014, 08:35:51 PM
I did have a few issues but it was for just a few minutes. Now I'm back to my standard everyday issues :)
Title: Re: Steam Update Issues
Post by: Huw the Poo on August 15, 2014, 02:06:40 AM
Quote from: Gusington on August 14, 2014, 08:35:51 PM
Now I'm back to my standard everyday issues :)

Haha, you beat me to it!  Steam the service may be OK in many respects, but Steam the client really is a piece of crap.  It's pretty unforgivable for a company with virtually unlimited resources.
Title: Re: Steam Update Issues
Post by: Nefaro on August 15, 2014, 02:19:16 AM
I've been having issues with my first one or two login attempts every time I've tried this past week.  It will tell me it couldn't connect.  So I have to keep trying until it takes.  Happened on two different computers, even.  ::)

Title: Re: Steam Update Issues
Post by: Tpek on August 15, 2014, 03:15:05 AM
It seems Valve released a major update for Steam.
They even changed the client's UI.
Title: Re: Steam Update Issues
Post by: Gusington on August 15, 2014, 07:32:24 AM
Yep...it made my machine freak out and then slip into a mood of general malaise.
Title: Re: Steam Update Issues
Post by: jomni on August 15, 2014, 07:51:06 AM
No problem for me. Update when smooth.
Title: Re: Steam Update Issues
Post by: Rayfer on August 15, 2014, 07:56:16 AM
Working just fine here. No issues.
Title: Re: Steam Update Issues
Post by: JasonPratt on August 15, 2014, 09:15:07 AM
Steam didn't want to open itself after the update; but I endeavored to persevere opening it manually, and eventually did after a couple of attempts. Might have been Early Global Friday server load.

However, as I attempted to finally finish the first Space Hulk campaign, I noticed the program said in the upper right corner that I wasn't logged in, whatever that means. Or doesn't mean.

I'm going to try to remember to fiddle around in it more before going back to start Season Three of Survive Harder, as I don't want to run into some kind of weird desynch problem where it doesn't save my progress because it can't find Steam or blips when it does eventually find it...  ???
Title: Re: Steam Update Issues
Post by: Gusington on August 15, 2014, 09:20:50 AM
It will do that anyway, no matter how you try to prepare...it's cool in keeping you on hour toes like that.
Title: Re: Steam Update Issues
Post by: steve58 on August 15, 2014, 12:04:15 PM
Well at least the update improved and added somethings.  I've noticed that CivIV isn't showing multiples anymore and you can now hide games so they don't show up in your library list.
Title: Re: Steam Update Issues
Post by: MengJiao on August 15, 2014, 12:20:32 PM
Quote from: steve58 on August 15, 2014, 12:04:15 PM
Well at least the update improved and added somethings.  I've noticed that CivIV isn't showing multiples anymore and you can now hide games so they don't show up in your library list.

No problems for me.  Hiding games I don't play anymore will be very useful.

And (if all goes well), I'll be getting BOS on steam this week-end.
Title: Re: Steam Update Issues
Post by: Nefaro on August 15, 2014, 12:47:02 PM
Quote from: steve58 on August 15, 2014, 12:04:15 PM
Well at least the update improved and added somethings.  I've noticed that CivIV isn't showing multiples anymore and you can now hide games so they don't show up in your library list.

I tried putting my non-played games into a separate list, to be minimized, and the damn thing would reset every time there was a client update.

Their client pisses me off on a regular basis when it comes to stuff like this.  I've learned not to spend time trying to customize or change many settings on it, as they will just get F'd up shortly afterward.
Title: Re: Steam Update Issues
Post by: JasonPratt on August 15, 2014, 01:34:26 PM
^  Ditto.  :buck2: