GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: TacticalWargames on August 15, 2014, 01:38:01 PM

Title: DarkWind hits steam
Post by: TacticalWargames on August 15, 2014, 01:38:01 PM
This game has the best car combat mechanic I've ever seen. Add a Z axis and RPG elements and Id have my dream WW1 tactical air warfare game.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/295710 (http://store.steampowered.com/app/295710)


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwjHNz79bvU (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwjHNz79bvU)


Combat\Race vid...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPgTd21mgc0&feature=youtu.be (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPgTd21mgc0&feature=youtu.be)
Title: Re: DarkWind hits steam
Post by: Nefaro on August 15, 2014, 03:09:46 PM
I played years ago and enjoyed it.  Had some absolutely hilarious moments in some multi-player death races.

The web browser based Management/RPG side could be a bit confusing back then.  Especially when you ventured out into the wasteland to take on the mutants (or whatever they're called in this one) with a group of players.  The vehicular combat wasn't so confusing, but the looting interface at the end certainly was.  I remember taking round robin turns to pick loot items, like vehicle upgrades and such, but the interface for it was very unintuitive to the loot rookie.

Nevertheless, I would still like to play it again and I'm glad it's now on Steam.  The turn-based vehicle combat is extremely fun.  Like a digitized version of Car Wars in a persistent world.
Title: Re: DarkWind hits steam
Post by: Nefaro on August 15, 2014, 03:14:54 PM
Also.. I played it before you could have your characters get out of the vehicles in combat (or be thrown out?).  It didn't really seem like anything it needed at the time, so I'm curious if it's yet another oft-requested but little used feature.  Like that of the starship combat games with an empty interior to walk around in and do nothing with, but enough people wanted all the same.  ::)
Title: Re: DarkWind hits steam
Post by: JasonPratt on August 16, 2014, 08:31:51 PM
Man, I wishied that so fast my mouse squeaked.  :o
Title: Re: DarkWind hits steam
Post by: Huw the Poo on August 17, 2014, 03:15:42 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on August 15, 2014, 03:14:54 PM
Like that of the starship combat games with an empty interior to walk around in and do nothing with, but enough people wanted all the same.  ::)

*cough* Eve Online *cough*
Title: Re: DarkWind hits steam
Post by: Tpek on August 17, 2014, 03:22:57 AM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on August 17, 2014, 03:15:42 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on August 15, 2014, 03:14:54 PM
Like that of the starship combat games with an empty interior to walk around in and do nothing with, but enough people wanted all the same.  ::)

*cough* Eve Online *cough*

Also Star Trek Online.
You can walk around in the interior of your starship.
And there's nothing to do there at all :P
Title: Re: DarkWind hits steam
Post by: Huw the Poo on August 17, 2014, 08:13:25 AM
Still?  I'd have thought they'd have done something more with that by now.

I was really bitter about introducing it to Eve Online.  That's a game in which stuff happens when people are flying around - anything that encouraged people to stay on stations had to be a bad idea.  At first I was one of a very small number of dissenters, then it happened, and lo!  Most people now agree it's bullshit.  ::)
Title: Re: DarkWind hits steam
Post by: DennisS on August 17, 2014, 09:45:59 AM
I played this game years ago, and won the first three races I played. This IS a fun game, but can get repetitive.

I want a 100% port of Car Wars, in a true MMO-style environment, with modern graphics, and Uncle Al's garage and ammo shops!

I use to design vehicles by the hour..just for fun. Give me $15,000, and a small car chassis, and I'm in business! First up is a canister to produce oil slicks, the second is a turret with a flamethrower to set it alight.