Slitherine Press Announcement
For Immediate Release
Space is full of competitors
Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes
Epsom, UK – August 19, 2014.
"Failure is not an option" (attributed to NASA Flight Director Gene Kranz – Apollo 13)
Last week the Early Access program for Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager closed its doors. The game is now on the launch pad and the countdown has started. The official launch is scheduled for October 31st and engineers from Polar Motion are working hard to offer a safe and exotic flight to the players.
Not only has the Early Access program helped the developers to fine-tune their game but also it contributed to exploring new possibilities. As a result the final version of Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager will benefit from a more ambitious scope than initially planned. Among the features regularly requested from the early adopters was a multiplayer mode. From the very beginning the game was developed to provide only solo space odysseys, and integrating an engaging multiplayer mode seemed to be very challenging. But the idea immediately caught on around the development team and Polar Motion is really excited to announce that both solo and multiplayer modes will be available at release!
In the multiplayer mode - powered by our convenient and versatile PBEM++ technology - players will be able to relive the ruthless race for dominance in space between the US and the Soviet Union. They will have to choose their side and run a space agency with only one goal in mind: be the first to the Moon! Being notified when their competitor completes successfully their missions; they will feel the same pressure as Managing Directors did during the Cold War. Alternatively a Free Mode will be available to let the players make their own multiplayer space adventures.
Get more information on Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager from its official product page.
http://www.slitherine.com/games/BA_SPM_Pc
Slitherine is part of the Slitherine Group
About the Slitherine Group
The Slitherine Group is the world's leading producer and publisher of digital wargames and strategy games. Under the Slitherine (www.slitherine.com), Matrix Games (www.matrixgames.com) and Ageod (www.ageod.com) brands it has published literally hundreds of games, with many award-winning titles in its portfolio and spanning all digital platforms, from home consoles to modern Smartphone's and Tablets. Slitherine is also involved with book publishing, board gaming and works with a wide array of key licensing partners, such as HISTORY®, MILITARY HISTORY®, Games Workshop®, Horrible Histories™, Showtime, BBC, Osprey, Scholastic, Buzz Aldrin Enterprises and many others to deliver the best blend of historical accuracy in an exciting and entertaining way. Together the Group companies form the world's largest organization specializing in this important and vibrant niche. The Slitherine Group's mission over the coming years is to lead the way in innovation and growth in an ever expanding segment of the entertainment industry.
I can't tell if I want this game or not, to be honest.
I really love BARIS, but I can't figure out what this game does the same, different, and better than BARIS, if that makes sense.
I just hope this game has the STEAM to, um, do things that would justify me using this pun for obvious reasons... >:D
This seems a bit vacuous to me...but even if it wasn't, I don't have SPACE on my desktop for another LAUNCH icon ;D
The Historical Gamer is doing a really good LP on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTGFcT0l8dvAVKqkvcAaomzBaJdnTs5nJ (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTGFcT0l8dvAVKqkvcAaomzBaJdnTs5nJ)
Hes only done a few parts so far but from what hes already done, hes sold me on it when it releases. It seems like a good game to play on my Surface Pro.
If you'd like I'll can ask Ignacio Liverotti the lead developer to introduce himself, and answer your questions? We live in the same town, and I'm due to meet up sometime in the near future for a beer/coffee. He's a nice guy, and I'm sure he'd be delighted to pitch in if you want. :)
Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 19, 2014, 02:14:10 PM
This seems a bit vacuous to me...but even if it wasn't, I don't have SPACE on my desktop for another LAUNCH icon ;D
Maybe you should jettison some of the extra weight?
Quote from: Kushan on August 19, 2014, 02:15:02 PM
The Historical Gamer is doing a really good LP on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTGFcT0l8dvAVKqkvcAaomzBaJdnTs5nJ (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTGFcT0l8dvAVKqkvcAaomzBaJdnTs5nJ)
Hes only done a few parts so far but from what hes already done, hes sold me on it when it releases. It seems like a good game to play on my Surface Pro.
I thought there was still much content left to be filled out when those vids started? Perhaps it was an earlier vid series I'm thinking of.
EDIT: I must've seen an earlier vid. This will be a Buy for me, since they added the space race sandboxes and campaigns. Good thing it went through Early Access so that such feedback was acted upon!
Hello all,
I'm Ignacio, the Lead Developer behind Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager. Boggit e-mailed me last night about this thread, so I decided to chime in. Feel free to post any questions you have about the game and I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible.
Quote from: Toonces on August 19, 2014, 01:42:46 PM
I can't tell if I want this game or not, to be honest.
I really love BARIS, but I can't figure out what this game does the same, different, and better than BARIS, if that makes sense.
BARIS is a great game. I was very young when it was released and I didn't speak English back then, so I 'rediscovered' it when I was 19 :)
I'm not sure if I can tell you which things SPM does better than BARIS, since game features are a very subjective thing that varies from player to player (some players prefer complex mechanics and having lots of things to do whereas others prefer a small and simple set of rules). What I can do is tell you what SPM does the same and different than BARIS:
* Just like BARIS, SPM features a simulation of the space race. SPM also provides a fictional space agency called GSA (Global Space Agency), which features programs from all the major space agencies and allows you to try out different approaches.
* Both BARIS and SPM display the progress of their missions by using a set of animated sequences. The difference lies in the fact that BARIS uses historical footage whereas SPM uses a custom set of renders.
* Both games features 'hotseat' and asynchronous multiplayer modes.
* BARIS features astronaut/cosmonaut management whereas SPM also features Flight Controllers and Technical personnel management.
* In SPM, the factions are deliberately unbalanced. So, for example, while the soviet PKA space plane allows you to perform an orbital flight, the american X-15 space plane doesn't. This creates interesting decisions regarding which routes to pursue in order to beat your opponent.
All in all, I think that if you liked the original BARIS, then SPM won't disappoint you :)
Feel free to post any more questions.
Cheers,
Greetings, Nacho! Glad to have you here :)
I bought into the beta a year ago, and can say the game has come a long way from what it originally was and what it originally was going to be. Kudos to Nacho for listening to the community and making changes for the better.
Is anybody currently playing this? I've been giving some thought to picking it up over the holiday, but I can't decide if I'll like it.
I did like BARIS, but, well....I guess I'm looking for impressions.