A two-man crew? Sounds like a recipe for operator overload. https://medium.com/war-is-boring/how-in-the-world-do-you-make-a-tank-stealthy-5dada62af8b9
Michael
.
I thought that a World War I tank for a second.
Drone tanks will have issues like drone aircraft. Control, flexibility and a 30-ton monster named Christine that decides humans are nice to squish.
Michael
That is the coolest effing thing I've seen today. It's the me of tanks!
Wee, yet fierce!
I borrowed it.
Maybe life should imitate art.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg1.wikia.nocookie.net%2F__cb20090606153856%2Fhalf-life%2Fen%2Fimages%2F8%2F8f%2FCombine_strider_standing.jpg&hash=691aaa6a5966be3a7f253cceeba29554aa33594d)
Except 4 legs so it is always standing on a tripod.
hes not that tall.
not nearly.
Yeah, a walker as stealth trees, until it moves. Then they run screaming.
Remember this battle?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6WyEPgxO8o (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6WyEPgxO8o)
yup >:(
No likey that one? It was only 5 rocket hits each IIRC.
I was playing on expert. 8)
Quote from: Gusington on August 20, 2014, 08:54:32 PM
I borrowed it.
I was wondering where your new avatar came from.
Man... who knew COBRA tanks really existed...
I didn't either. To make matters worse, there was an American tankette sort of vehicle during WWII built by Studebaker, that went by the same name...making research on fhe modern German one a little more difficult.
In WW2 the Italians also had a mini-me tankette or two.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gamewire.belloflostsouls.net%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F04%2FCV33s600x304.jpg&hash=e7d225104ded8e37a77bc383ecb4c967254729db)
GRRRRRR!!!
They look great but did they ever succeed in a fight? Or even in moving and not breaking down?
Quote from: Gusington on August 23, 2014, 08:42:11 AM
They look great but did they ever succeed in a fight? Or even in moving and not breaking down?
Who cares? They're like little Italian sports cars. You don't buy them for a marathon, you break them out on a Saturday night to pick up chicks!
^Did they succeed in picking up chicks?
Ethiopian ones
Works for me.
Check out these the Army's drawings of the stealth tank dodging artillery shells and leaping over IEDs. It's like the tank came out of a comic book.
https://medium.com/war-is-boring/watch-the-pentagons-stealth-tank-leap-over-bombs-430b69837986
Michael
Im not a fan of the concept at all.
I think there's a lot of the questions about the concept. If it works, it should be awesome. "If" being the operative word.
Michael
I just dont see how vehicles that "light" can take the kinetic shock of being hit with modern weapons. theres a reason why crew losses of modern western tanks have been relatively light all things considered. its not like we're rolling Shermans up against Jagdtigers.
on the other hand we're about to start deploying railguns on our warships. if that can be scaled down in 20 years or sooner to fit on a 2 man tank then thats a different story.
hmmmm.... no, its not. Id rather have that gun under heavy armor.
But the Pentagon's point is that in the armor vs. anti-tank weapon race, the tank-killers are winning. M1s and Merkava have been knocked out, and you can't simply pile on more armor plate and still have a vehicle that you can transport and maneuver. The Army also seems concerned about having a vehicle that can negotiate urban streets.
That being said, I also would rather three feet of armor plate between me and an RPG.
The real question is whether a tank this small and light should be unmanned.
Michael
How about this idea.
You have a heavy tank in local control of 4 drone ranks. If the control tank is set up like a Merkava then you have the space in the back for the operators.
Good idea! They're already looking at manned/unmanned teaming for aircraft, where the pilot controls a swarm of drones.
I dont like the idea of one person controlling multiple armed drones. That just leads to information overload.
Depends on how much data is converted to info for the person. If the drones send differnt area data, which computers use to generate a live map, all the person has to do is decide what virtual enemy units to mark. Then the computers send the most available unit to hit it. Imagine a giant screen where the person marks Xs with a stylus.
.