I already did a mod list in the feedback section for mods I'm using in my front page AAR but per request I created this to keep track of all the DW mods. Almost all of these mods require Distant Worlds Universe.
While Distant Worlds Universe made great leaps in modding capability, and has even more since release, its not the most modular system. Some of the mods may also require you to merge .txt files together in order for them to work properly, I highly suggest downloading Notepad++ and get the compare plugin (can be downloaded from within notepad++).
Required Mods:
Distant Worlds Extended by Haree78 (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3141149) For every vanilla theme game I play, this mod is a requirement. The new races Haree's added fit seamlessly into the existing ones. I originally started using it to replace the existing race images since I really don't like the vanilla ones, but the new races have grown on me over time.
Balance mods:
AI Improvement Mod (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3647528) I haven't been able to spend much time with this one yet but from running some AI only game it does seem to improve how the AI plays. Comes with a patch for Distant Worlds Extended.
DW:U BalanceMod (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3624576) For normal play this mod has been supplanted by the AI Improvement mod. But I am using part of this mod in my AAR. It makes a lot of balance changes but I chose to only use the hyper drive speed because I don't like the 200 additional research projects it adds. I don't mind modders adding new projects, but 200 seems over the top IMO.
More Governments (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3626244) and More and Rebalanced Wonders (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3630680)
I've always thought that wonders in DW where over powered. The reason I didn't use the new wonders was because I didn't know what sort of overall balance effect they would have when I started.
Graphic Mods:
HD Environment Mod by nek (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3626917) Used this because HD planet textures are never a bad thing, if your system can handle them.
Graphic Enhancement Mod (GEM) (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3211317) Hasn't been updated since late 2012, but with some tweaking can be made to work with Universe.
Miscellaneous Mods:
I really hate the numbered ship naming for escorts, frigates, and destroyers so i sue both of Shark7 ship name mods and a US ship names that I did myself
Royal Navy Ship Names (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2467645)
IJN Ship Names (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2467645)
USN Ship Names (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2683826)
Complete Overhauls:
Star Trek - Picard Era (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3794736) One of the best mods released so far for Universe. I wish they would go further in overhauling the game, there is still alot of vanilla techs and components that don't fit IMO but from what they have stated that's not their goal. Still an excellent mod, and it provides an excellent base for those who want to do their own personal tweaks to make it more (or less) cannon.
Warhammer 40k (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3640729) I haven't played this one personally, and I'm not a huge warhammer fan, but i know others here are fans of it.
If there is any other question you have I would be happy to answer them.
VERY, VERY useful. Thanks Kushan! 8)
Good post Kushan... I am playing the Star Trek mod as the Klingon Empire. I am staying true to the course and pissing in everyones water. I had to do a restart as the pirate attacks where ridiculous and use a smaller map as well... I found the somewhat small maps make it very interesting.
PE
Is Sta Trek only available to Universe owners?
Seems like there was a different Star Trek mod also?? RPS was talking about it?? -- I remember seeing it mentioned in a thread here.
Edited to add: never mind, verbal descriptions are identical so must be the same mod. Version 2 on the way may be what I had read about.
That 40K mod is no slouch either...
The Shakturi basically take the place of Tyrannids arriving early I guess.
Too bad the rodent races haven't been implemented back in yet (or have they, before or by v.9??), since they'd correspond to 40K's missing skaven.
I've really gotta go and reinstall the Extended mod, now that it's been updated for Universe.
I never did get around to trying the Picard era mod in the game's previous versions. I should probably rectify that.
Are these two available on Steam as well? Anyone know?
Quote from: Tuna on September 02, 2014, 09:50:43 AM
Is Sta Trek only available to Universe owners?
There where some mods for the various ST eras for the previous installments of DW. I'm not sure if they are still available or not.
Quote from: Martok on September 02, 2014, 11:08:15 AM
Are these two available on Steam as well? Anyone know?
Distant Worlds doesn't currently support Steam Workshop.
Quote from: Kushan on September 02, 2014, 11:42:50 AM
Quote from: Tuna on September 02, 2014, 09:50:43 AM
Is Sta Trek only available to Universe owners?
There where some mods for the various ST eras for the previous installments of DW. I'm not sure if they are still available or not.
Quote from: Martok on September 02, 2014, 11:08:15 AM
Are these two available on Steam as well? Anyone know?
Distant Worlds doesn't currently support Steam Workshop.
I found the threads for the older versions of the Mods on Matrix.. but none of the links seem to work.. I already put enough money into my initial purchase, don't want to have to spend more for Universe, when I don't play that much.. Star Trek could make it more interesting though!
Registering in this thread. I've got to try that WH40K mod when I get back to playing Distant Worlds. Thanks for sharing!
Th
Star Trek Picard Era v2.0 (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3794736) mod is finally out! I've been waiting on this one for months. I'm going to fire it up tonight, and I'll post screenshots in the next few days.
v2.0 FeaturesQuote
30 TOTAL PLAYABLE STAR TREK RACES & 4 PIRATE GROUPINGS
(The Shakturi and Mechanoid DW Races are not playable but are available for non-canon DW play.)
23 PLAYABLE MAJOR STAR TREK RACES
ANDORIAN, BAJORAN, BENZITE, BORG, BREEN, CARDASSIAN, CHALNOTH, DOMINION, FEDERATION, FERENGI, GORN, HIROGEN, KAZON, KLINGON, KTARIAN, NAUSICAAN, REMAN, ROMULAN, SHELIAK, SON'A, TAMARIAN, THOLIAN & YRIDIAN
7 PLAYABLE BUT 'STATIC' (They will assault, but do not colonize) MINOR RACES
ACAMARIAN, ANTICAN, BYNARS, CALDONIAN, LURIAN, MALON & VIDIIAN
4 PLAYABLE PIRATE FACTIONS
THE ORION SYNDICATE, THE MAQUIS, THE 8472 BARBARIANS & THE KORGOTH PRIVATEERS
- Shipsets - 25 playable races have their own shipset. 5 playable, static minor races share a generic shipset. Pirate factions share 2 specific shipsets. The 8472 Barbarians have their own shipset.
- Characters - Currently 750+ character images, over 1500 characters (some share a generic image)
- Troop images - All races have their own set.
- Dialogue - All races have their own dialog.
- Flagshapes - All races have their own flag and color schemes.
- Music - 44 tracks from Star Trek The Next Generation's first 3 seasons composed by Ron Jones (Fair Use Respected), plus others.
- System names - Over 8,500 Star Trek and other astronomical system names can be generated for variety.
Over 1,000 Star Trek Milky Way Galaxy systems in the UFP map (Included in the 'maps' folder)
- Race files - Completed. Please report any major issues. Race files can be modified.
- Bias settings - Completed. Please report any issues. Race biases can be modified.
- Policy files - Completed. May require more balance tweaking, please report any issues.
- Victory conditions - Completed. Please report any issues. Race victory conditions can be modified.
- The Borg race shipset size-scaled to near-canon (at least closely!)
- New Governments included - Hegemony, Religious Unity (Race Specific ~ Bajoran only) and Federation (Race Specific ~ Federation (UFP) only)
{See Galactopedia article(s) for info}
- New Race Family: Biomechanical (Borg & Bynars)
- Star Trek Era plagues added {See Galactopedia article(s) for info}
- Each Race has their own specific Star Trek UI icons and graphics (located in the images\UI\chrome\[The Race Name]\folder)
UI icons and graphics can be modified. Das123 has created his "Das Chrome for Star Trek PE Mod v2.0" UI mod which is fully compatible and is the UI and graphics shown in his YouTube "Let's Play Star Trek The Picard Era" Version 1.0 and 2.0 mod recordings.
- Each Race may have their own specific diplomacy music (located in the Sounds\Effects\[The Race Name]\folder)
4 Files appropriately named: diplomacyMoodAngry ~ diplomacyMoodHappy ~ diplomacyMoodMenacing ~ diplomacyMoodNeutral
- Minimum garrisoned troop per colony set to 4 for defense against invasion or pirate raids.
- Rumors of Crystalline Entity sightings (replaces the Silvermist), see Galactopedia article for more info.
- Select Star Trek Resource images and Component additions. Galactopedia entries have been updated.
- 103 total New Planet Landscapes available for Game Editor use, including Star Trek specific 'Race Homeworld' Landscapes.
- Some weapon effect and sound replacements. More Star Trek 'Faction-Specific' Weapons and components added in the research tech trees.
- Message pop ups appear as Starfleet PADDs.
- Numerous Star Trek sound effects.
- Shakturi and Mechanoids are not overwritten so you can still play the story, just with your choice of the Star Trek races.
- Milky Way Galaxy 4 quadrant star map with Star Trek races' homeworld and owned system placements.
- Numerous Star Trek independent races and pirates spread throughout the galaxy (setting specific).
STP mod is overloading server and is disabled at moment :'(
Quote from: bobarossa on February 01, 2015, 05:32:16 PM
STP mod is overloading server and is disabled at moment :'(
An alternate download link is now up.