GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: bob48 on September 01, 2014, 01:44:32 PM

Title: Steam Sale.
Post by: bob48 on September 01, 2014, 01:44:32 PM
Steam have a week-long sale on - damn them.

Very tempted by Operation Star.

Title: Re: Steam Sale.
Post by: spelk on September 01, 2014, 02:48:02 PM
Lots of interesting titles in it

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/Weeklong_Deals

Victoria II
Pride of Nations
Dominions 3 and Dominions 4
Conquest of Elysium 3
Bionic Dues
Panzer Tactics HD
Real Warfare 1242
XIII Century
Space Hulk
Title: Re: Steam Sale.
Post by: Gusington on September 01, 2014, 03:19:07 PM
Just bought three DLCs for Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes but none were on sale :(
Title: Re: Steam Sale.
Post by: Tpek on September 01, 2014, 03:24:46 PM
It's pretty much the same games they have on sale every week.
They seem to have a very limited selection of games to use on those mid-week sales of theirs that they simply keep rotating.
Title: Re: Steam Sale.
Post by: undercovergeek on September 01, 2014, 04:01:57 PM
One day I'm going to become an expert at pride of nations

One day
Title: Re: Steam Sale.
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 01, 2014, 04:33:31 PM
Heh.  Me too.  One day....

Maybe we should get a PBEM game going?
Title: Re: Steam Sale.
Post by: panzerde on September 01, 2014, 04:59:34 PM
Operation Star is a bit fiddly, but once you get used to the UI it's not bad, Bob. The operational layer on top of the tactical layer makes for a nice contrast with other tactical games. It's good if you don't care for micro-management, I find.
Title: Re: Steam Sale.
Post by: bob48 on September 01, 2014, 05:03:28 PM
I did download the demo for it a while ago, but admit to giving up due to my inability to get my head around the UI. The visual aspect of the game is excellent, though.
Title: Re: Steam Sale.
Post by: DennisS on September 01, 2014, 06:34:06 PM
I picked up Elysium 3..not bad for three dollars. Pretty good game, call it Dominions "Lite."
Title: Re: Steam Sale.
Post by: RooksBailey on September 01, 2014, 07:21:46 PM
Quote from: Gusington on September 01, 2014, 03:19:07 PM
Just bought three DLCs for Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes but none were on sale :(

I go through the same thing.  Outside of the big Steam mega-sales where everything is on sale, inevitably the games I always want to buy are never on sale when I want them.   >:(   I am dying to pick up The Secret World and the three expansions for EUIV!  But no sales anywhere in sight.  ::)  The best I can do is a 23% off voucher from Greenman Gaming.   
Title: Re: Steam Sale.
Post by: Nefaro on September 01, 2014, 07:48:43 PM
Quote from: spelk on September 01, 2014, 02:48:02 PM
Lots of interesting titles in it

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/Weeklong_Deals

Victoria II
Pride of Nations
Dominions 3 and Dominions 4
Conquest of Elysium 3
Bionic Dues
Panzer Tactics HD
Real Warfare 1242
XIII Century
Space Hulk

Bionic Dues just got some updates last month that tweaked a few things.   O0
Title: Re: Steam Sale.
Post by: PanzersEast on September 01, 2014, 08:12:28 PM
Quote from: DennisS on September 01, 2014, 06:34:06 PM
I picked up Elysium 3..not bad for three dollars. Pretty good game, call it Dominions "Lite."

I liked Elysium 3 better than Dominions personally, Dom can get a little repetitive after a while and Elysium seemed to be shorter and mix it up better.


PE
Title: Re: Steam Sale.
Post by: Gusington on September 01, 2014, 09:02:49 PM
Hey Rooks - 23% off is 23% off...I say go for it.
Title: Re: Steam Sale.
Post by: RooksBailey on September 01, 2014, 09:05:33 PM
Quote from: Gusington on September 01, 2014, 09:02:49 PM
Hey Rooks - 23% off is 23% off...I say go for it.

Good point!   :)

However, now I am tempted by the 30% off for Dominions 4.   ;D
Title: Re: Steam Sale.
Post by: Gusington on September 02, 2014, 08:07:58 AM
You sir are a complex individual.
Title: Re: Steam Sale.
Post by: Sir Slash on September 02, 2014, 10:12:40 AM
So is Pride of Nations worth $9.99 with the add-ons included? Tell me true.
Title: Re: Steam Sale.
Post by: undercovergeek on September 02, 2014, 10:16:42 AM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 01, 2014, 04:33:31 PM
Heh.  Me too.  One day....

Maybe we should get a PBEM game going?

thats an awesome idea - let me know if you fancy this
Title: Re: Steam Sale.
Post by: Rayfer on September 02, 2014, 12:19:27 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on September 02, 2014, 10:12:40 AM
So is Pride of Nations worth $9.99 with the add-ons included? Tell me true.

Looks to be $9.99 base game, $14.99 with the 4 add-ons.
Title: Re: Steam Sale.
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 02, 2014, 02:41:04 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on September 02, 2014, 10:16:42 AM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 01, 2014, 04:33:31 PM
Heh.  Me too.  One day....

Maybe we should get a PBEM game going?

thats an awesome idea - let me know if you fancy this

Yeah, I'd like to give it a go.  Probably be the impetus I need to finally buckle down and learn the game.  I haven't touched it in quite some time and never really got the hang of it when I did play.  The one campaign I tried to play saw the AI controlled Britain win the game in the 1850s before I, playing as Japan could even do anything outside of my borders because the Comm. Perry event hadn't triggered.
Title: Re: Steam Sale.
Post by: undercovergeek on September 02, 2014, 03:30:03 PM
ive never gotten past the menu and pressing a few buttons, i have a guide and a few AARs under my belt - a learning experience for us both?

i didnt realise you could PBEM it - im in
Title: Re: Steam Sale.
Post by: Boggit on September 02, 2014, 05:01:18 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 01, 2014, 07:48:43 PM
Bionic Dues just got some updates last month that tweaked a few things.   O0
I must fire it up again. A nice quirky little mechwarrior type title from Arcen Games. O0 Has it altered the gameplay much?
Title: Re: Steam Sale.
Post by: Nefaro on September 02, 2014, 05:13:37 PM
Quote from: Boggit on September 02, 2014, 05:01:18 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 01, 2014, 07:48:43 PM
Bionic Dues just got some updates last month that tweaked a few things.   O0
I must fire it up again. A nice quirky little mechwarrior type title from Arcen Games. O0 Has it altered the gameplay much?

The gameplay is the same, they just tweaked some mechanics and balancing a bit if I understood the update info correctly.

It's really a roguelike (with robots!).  Still plan on continuing my campaign.
Title: Re: Steam Sale.
Post by: Steelgrave on September 02, 2014, 05:47:39 PM
Dominions 3, Dominions 4 or Elysium 3? What say the crowd?
Title: Re: Steam Sale.
Post by: SirAndrewD on September 02, 2014, 07:24:25 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on September 02, 2014, 10:12:40 AM
So is Pride of Nations worth $9.99 with the add-ons included? Tell me true.

If they ever fixed the extreme 5-10 minute AI turn times, PoN is worth way more than that. 

Did they ever fix that?  If they did I need to reinstall.
Title: Re: Steam Sale.
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 02, 2014, 07:31:36 PM
Just 4 weeks ago there was a hotfix released for the beta patch 1.04RC2 which supposedly sped up some things greatly.  I just downloaded it this evening but have yet to try it out.

Here's the thread where you can get the hotfix.

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?36514-August-3rd-quickfix (http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?36514-August-3rd-quickfix)
Title: Re: Steam Sale.
Post by: Nefaro on September 02, 2014, 07:34:31 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 02, 2014, 07:24:25 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on September 02, 2014, 10:12:40 AM
So is Pride of Nations worth $9.99 with the add-ons included? Tell me true.

If they ever fixed the extreme 5-10 minute AI turn times, PoN is worth way more than that. 

Did they ever fix that?  If they did I need to reinstall.

The turn resolution times are still high, but they're not as bad as they originally were.  You should still expect to pass the 3-minute mark once it gets going, however.

I believe there has also been some issue with the economics since the last beta update.  Unless they've updated again and I haven't noticed.  Some bug or another.  I haven't tried playing while the versions had been in that bugged beta limbo state for awhile, so I'm not sure if it's been addressed yet.
Title: Re: Steam Sale.
Post by: Bison on September 02, 2014, 07:58:53 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on September 02, 2014, 05:47:39 PM
Dominions 3, Dominions 4 or Elysium 3? What say the crowd?

Well if you are looking for solo play Elysium 3 is definitely worth the price.  Dom3 is a very deep game, but it's best played against real people.
Title: Re: Steam Sale.
Post by: Steelgrave on September 02, 2014, 08:00:24 PM
Quote from: Bison on September 02, 2014, 07:58:53 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on September 02, 2014, 05:47:39 PM
Dominions 3, Dominions 4 or Elysium 3? What say the crowd?

Well if you are looking for solo play Elysium 3 is definitely worth the price.  Dom3 is a very deep game, but it's best played against real people.

Yeah, I'm pretty much a solo artists. Thanks, B.
Title: Re: Steam Sale.
Post by: Nefaro on September 03, 2014, 05:28:24 AM
You can still get plenty of interesting solo play out of Dominions 4.  I would suggest getting Dom4 and not bother with Dom3 if you decide to pick one of those two up.

COE3 is a fun taste of the Ilwinter experience.  It doesn't have quite the variety of Dominions but it also moves along at a faster pace. 

I tend to play Dom4 more than COE3 these days, just because it's fun to take up the mantle of one of the many differently flavored factions and customize its forces, spells, heroes, etc as the game progresses.  There are seemingly infinite combinations and strategies.  COE3 is on a smaller scale and plays a bit differently.  Playing COE3 convinced me to pick up Dom3 (and later 4) so it could well do the same for you.  I still play both. 
Title: Re: Steam Sale.
Post by: Huw the Poo on September 03, 2014, 02:20:50 PM
Yeah it's worth buying CoE3 and Dom4 (Dom3 is pointless now).

Dom4 is a massive, sprawling, hulking, majestic, ridiculous, fascinating, utterly bonkers game.  Single player is fine unless you're someone who effortlessly wipes the floor with the AI in games like these.  It is best played in multiplayer, definitely, because then you get the social aspect and the diplomacy and so on, but MP games are long and suffer from drop-out.  Honestly it's an amazing game either way.

CoE3 is like a diet version of Dom4.  I've never played it multiplayer but it's arguably more suited to single player than Dom4 is.  It's its own game and doesn't suffer from little brother syndrome.  I own both and I play both.  It's better when you want a shorter session...whole games can be played within 30 minutes.  It's very fast paced (although still turn-based) and lots of fun.  No two play-throughs are the same.

You can't go wrong either way, but if there was a gun to my head, I guess I'd pick Dom4.
Title: Re: Steam Sale.
Post by: Steelgrave on September 03, 2014, 03:01:15 PM
Thanks, guys. Considering the price, I picked up both CoE3 and Dom4. Appreciate the feedback.
Title: Re: Steam Sale.
Post by: MuzzyDev on September 03, 2014, 03:55:56 PM
Medal of Honor: Airborne for $2.49.
Title: Re: Steam Sale.
Post by: Ian C on September 03, 2014, 04:22:37 PM
Quote from: MuzzyDev on September 03, 2014, 03:55:56 PM
Medal of Honor: Airborne for $2.49.

Bizarre. I just got to the steam checkout with that very deal and the payment was covered by default with the money from my steam wallet I made from selling a Making History trading card.
Title: Re: Steam Sale.
Post by: Huw the Poo on September 03, 2014, 06:01:23 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on September 03, 2014, 03:01:15 PM
Thanks, guys. Considering the price, I picked up both CoE3 and Dom4. Appreciate the feedback.

Excellent!  If you read nothing else, read the guides in the manuals for whoever you play as.  A Dom4 nation or CoE3 character can seem awfully boring or useless unless you know what they're capable of.  Have fun!

Oh, and in both games, you can press ? on almost any screen for keyboard shortcuts - absolutely essential, as some of the them let you see/do stuff that you can't get to from the interface.