GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => General Discussion => Topic started by: DicedT on September 04, 2014, 08:01:46 AM

Title: grogheads Has a Twin
Post by: DicedT on September 04, 2014, 08:01:46 AM
When I first clicked on this site, I really thought for a moment that I looking at Grogheads.  http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/index.php

Michael
Title: Re: grogheads Has a Twin
Post by: GDS_Starfury on September 04, 2014, 08:02:39 AM
There can be only one.
Title: Re: grogheads Has a Twin
Post by: bayonetbrant on September 04, 2014, 08:15:34 AM
Quote from: DicedT on September 04, 2014, 08:01:46 AM
When I first clicked on this site, I really thought for a moment that I looking at Grogheads.  http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/index.php

Michael

yep - that was a schism in the BGG community and they're using the same forum software we use (and Languish.org, and others).

I reached out to some of those guys from BGG when the split happened, but they weren't interested in coming over here because we don't talk enough board games for them, which was pretty much why I wanted to reach out to them... ::)
Title: Re: grogheads Has a Twin
Post by: LongBlade on September 04, 2014, 10:28:30 AM
Far more disturbing was a website Brant found a few years ago while I was still running WG.

There was a site that had cloned WG. Identical except for the URL. At Brant's urging I looked up the folks who owned it. It was held by an Anglo name - like Shirley Smith or something. But when I called the phone number listed it turned out to be a woman who (probably pretended) to only speak Chinese.

Brant mumbled something about it time to start arresting people, but to my knowledge we never did anything about it. I never looked at it again, as they didn't seem to have any audience and I had bigger fish to fry.
Title: Re: grogheads Has a Twin
Post by: bayonetbrant on September 04, 2014, 10:33:04 AM
yeah - that site is now taken over by an actual game, rather than a squatter cloning someone else's work
Title: Re: grogheads Has a Twin
Post by: LongBlade on September 04, 2014, 10:48:28 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 04, 2014, 10:33:04 AM
yeah - that site is now taken over by an actual game, rather than a squatter cloning someone else's work

Good to know.

So, point is (I guess) there will be clones around the net. Just because they look similar (or identical) doesn't mean they'll succeed.

Personally, I run Alexa's toolbar on my browser. It ranks websites for both the country in which it's hosted and the global rank. It's not a perfect tool, but it does help gauge an approximate rank.

Gamebox.com - the site referenced by Diced in the OP - has no US ranking according to Alexa, and its world rank is ~ 6.5 millionth. Compare that to Grogheads, which as of this moment ranks just about 200,000th in the globe.

Were I them, it would have been wise to take Brant's offer to host here. Considering they've only been open for two months, they're not doing too badly. But the internet rewards synergies.
Title: Re: grogheads Has a Twin
Post by: mirth on September 04, 2014, 11:12:17 AM
Youse want me and da boys to pay dem bums a little visit?
Title: Re: grogheads Has a Twin
Post by: BanzaiCat on September 04, 2014, 11:18:50 AM
It's pretty much child's play to gank code from any site you like, throw it through something like Dreamweaver, and voila, instant stolen page.

I remember that WG clone, actually.
Title: Re: grogheads Has a Twin
Post by: GDS_Starfury on September 04, 2014, 12:01:07 PM
<-----  stifled snarky comment.   :-X
Title: Re: grogheads Has a Twin
Post by: DicedT on September 04, 2014, 03:55:17 PM
It was actually their sub-forum called "Fuck It All" that reminded me of the spirit of Grogheads.

They would have been a good fit.

Michael
Title: Re: grogheads Has a Twin
Post by: Gusington on September 04, 2014, 07:41:08 PM
^That post drips with pun-ade.
Title: Re: grogheads Has a Twin
Post by: Bison on September 04, 2014, 10:50:38 PM
Quote from: Gusington on September 04, 2014, 07:41:08 PM
^That post drips with pun-ade.

Is that a side effect of contracting grogorrhea?