GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Father Ted on September 07, 2014, 12:35:27 PM

Title: WW1 Tactical Game?
Post by: Father Ted on September 07, 2014, 12:35:27 PM
I'm re-reading "The War the Infantry Knew" by J C Dunn (great read by the way) and was struck by the potential for an interesting company-level game.  Whilst the strategic picture was one of attrition and sheer-brute-force frontal assaults, at a tactical level patrols and raids were undertaken which I think would be good gaming material.  Does such a game exist, does anybody know?
Title: Re: WW1 Tactical Game?
Post by: Gusington on September 07, 2014, 01:28:27 PM
Squad Battles WWI:

http://www.johntillersoftware.com/SquadBattles/FirstWorldWar.html
Title: Re: WW1 Tactical Game?
Post by: Father Ted on September 07, 2014, 04:01:07 PM
Thanks Gus - this seems to be just what I was looking for!
Title: Re: WW1 Tactical Game?
Post by: TacticalWargames on September 07, 2014, 04:06:19 PM
A must own book for anyone into WW1. O0
Title: Re: WW1 Tactical Game?
Post by: jomni on September 07, 2014, 06:29:08 PM
Quote from: Gusington on September 07, 2014, 01:28:27 PM
Squad Battles WWI:

http://www.johntillersoftware.com/SquadBattles/FirstWorldWar.html

Very good title for those into WWI small tactics.
Title: Re: WW1 Tactical Game?
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 07, 2014, 07:19:42 PM
If you want to throw some Cthulhu into the mix, there's The Wasted Land for PC and smartphones.  Tactical combat game against eldritch horrors in the trenches of WWI.

http://redwaspdesign.wordpress.com/call-of-cthulhu/ (http://redwaspdesign.wordpress.com/call-of-cthulhu/)
Title: Re: WW1 Tactical Game?
Post by: Gusington on September 07, 2014, 09:18:23 PM
You're welcome, Father. For some reason I always forget about the Squad Battles games too.

SDR - have you played The Wasted Land?
Title: Re: WW1 Tactical Game?
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 08, 2014, 01:33:12 AM
Yes, I played it on my phone.  It's pretty fun but very challenging.  It reminds me a bit of Silent Storm, but with Shoggoths instead of Panzerkleins.
Title: Re: WW1 Tactical Game?
Post by: Nefaro on September 08, 2014, 07:45:17 AM
Someone said it was too simple, when it first came out.

Being a phone/tablet game, I took it for truth.
Title: Re: WW1 Tactical Game?
Post by: Boggit on September 08, 2014, 11:57:21 AM
Quote from: Father Ted on September 07, 2014, 04:01:07 PM
Thanks Gus - this seems to be just what I was looking for!
If it helps here is my review of it...
http://grogheads.com/?p=2081#more-2081
Title: Re: WW1 Tactical Game?
Post by: Gusington on September 08, 2014, 01:24:01 PM
Oops sorry, forgot to include that.
Title: Re: WW1 Tactical Game?
Post by: Father Ted on September 08, 2014, 02:02:12 PM
Quote from: Boggit on September 08, 2014, 11:57:21 AM
Quote from: Father Ted on September 07, 2014, 04:01:07 PM
Thanks Gus - this seems to be just what I was looking for!
If it helps here is my review of it...
http://grogheads.com/?p=2081#more-2081

Thanks Boggit - I did find my way to your reviewm and very useful it was too!
Title: Re: WW1 Tactical Game?
Post by: Boggit on September 08, 2014, 05:27:15 PM
Glad it helped. What I really liked about the game is how the tactical combat changes between 1914-18. By 1918 it's very similar to WW2. casualties in 1914 while armies are learning to fight with modern weapons are frightful. :o It's designed by Ed Williams, someone who is IMO quite an authority on WW1. :)
Title: Re: WW1 Tactical Game?
Post by: Skoop on September 08, 2014, 06:18:15 PM
^ I have to agree with that, he also designed the 2 ww1 panzer campaigns engine games, France 14 and Prussia.  He is also part of the dev team at esim for steel beasts and he's pretty active in their mp community.   
Title: Re: WW1 Tactical Game?
Post by: jomni on September 08, 2014, 07:38:04 PM
One unique feature of the game that's not present in other SB titles is that the machine gun can do indirect fire.  Must be an era-specific tactic.
Title: Re: WW1 Tactical Game?
Post by: TacticalWargames on September 10, 2014, 09:17:33 AM
Quote from: jomni on September 08, 2014, 07:38:04 PM
  Must be an era-specific tactic.

Certainly was..a huge amount of casualties on the first day of the Somme was down to this..
Title: Re: WW1 Tactical Game?
Post by: panzerde on September 10, 2014, 08:21:45 PM
Quote from: Skoop on September 08, 2014, 06:18:15 PM
^ I have to agree with that, he also designed the 2 ww1 panzer campaigns engine games, France 14 and Prussia.  He is also part of the dev team at esim for steel beasts and he's pretty active in their mp community.   

I think at this point I would buy just about anything Ed Williams is the designer on, just to get his designer's notes. I learned more about WWI warfare from reading his notes in France '14 and EP '14 than almost anything else I've read.
Title: Re: WW1 Tactical Game?
Post by: TacticalWargames on September 10, 2014, 08:55:27 PM
SB WW1  suffers due to the engine limitations sadly. It's a problem I see often when developers use one engine for games covering totally different eras and wars. The games are usually best if it closely resembles the first games focus.

Another problem is the shear size of alot of the scenarios.. real monsters they are. I found a fair few battles not covered in the game and some would have been especially suited to a smaller scenario.

Saying all this though no one else has had the balls to do a WW1 tactical wargame and on the whole it just about succeeds.
Title: Re: WW1 Tactical Game?
Post by: jomni on September 10, 2014, 10:31:41 PM
Quote from: TacticalWargames on September 10, 2014, 08:55:27 PM
SB WW1  suffers due to the engine limitations sadly. It's a problem I see often when developers use one engine for games covering totally different eras and wars. The games are usually best if it closely resembles the first games focus.

Another problem is the shear size of alot of the scenarios.. real monsters they are. I found a fair few battles not covered in the game and some would have been especially suited to a smaller scenario.

Saying all this though no one else has had the balls to do a WW1 tactical wargame and on the whole it just about succeeds.

What limitation in particular?
Title: Re: WW1 Tactical Game?
Post by: Boggit on September 11, 2014, 03:44:25 PM
Quote from: panzerde on September 10, 2014, 08:21:45 PM
Quote from: Skoop on September 08, 2014, 06:18:15 PM
^ I have to agree with that, he also designed the 2 ww1 panzer campaigns engine games, France 14 and Prussia.  He is also part of the dev team at esim for steel beasts and he's pretty active in their mp community.   

I think at this point I would buy just about anything Ed Williams is the designer on, just to get his designer's notes. I learned more about WWI warfare from reading his notes in France '14 and EP '14 than almost anything else I've read.
Pretty much agree with you. The quality of his research, and his written expression of the same is outstanding. :coolsmiley:
Title: Re: WW1 Tactical Game?
Post by: Al on September 11, 2014, 06:13:38 PM
Quote from: panzerde on September 10, 2014, 08:21:45 PM
Quote from: Skoop on September 08, 2014, 06:18:15 PM
^ I have to agree with that, he also designed the 2 ww1 panzer campaigns engine games, France 14 and Prussia.  He is also part of the dev team at esim for steel beasts and he's pretty active in their mp community.   

I think at this point I would buy just about anything Ed Williams is the designer on, just to get his designer's notes. I learned more about WWI warfare from reading his notes in France '14 and EP '14 than almost anything else I've read.

+1