GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: DoctorQuest on September 10, 2014, 10:21:31 PM

Title: What is legal to mod in a game?
Post by: DoctorQuest on September 10, 2014, 10:21:31 PM
I've actually asked HPS this since it is their game but I know a lot of folks around here have done mods of one sort or another. I thought I would ask for opinions while I wait for a response from HPS.

I would like to make some minor modifications to the aircraft data file in War Over The Mideast. I am not looking at touching any executable code. I can't find an EULA doc to save my life. (I'm not sure this is an out. There may be a more generic IP law I'm not aware of.)

I feel pretty safe doing this for myself. I would not even think of selling the mod but it is possible others might be interested in it. You would need to own the game to use it as all I would distribute is the data file and any OOB, ATO and SCN files I might have built using it.

I am looking at doing some Desert Storm scenarios. The Mideast map just covers enough of Iraq and Saudi Arabia to do a limited set of scenarios. I just need to mod a few existing aircraft and add a few more to have a decent OOB.

Thoughts?
Title: Re: What is legal to mod in a game?
Post by: GDS_Starfury on September 10, 2014, 10:26:51 PM
in my experience you can mod anything you want as long as your arent getting money from it and you arent stepping on other peoples copyrights.  some franchises are more accepting about this then others.  for instance, Ive never heard of a Star Trek mod getting a letter from a legal team but dont EVER think of doing a Honor Harrington mod.
Title: Re: What is legal to mod in a game?
Post by: jomni on September 10, 2014, 10:29:17 PM
Just go mod it. But don't sell & share it unless you get permission.
Title: Re: What is legal to mod in a game?
Post by: Kushan on September 10, 2014, 11:05:26 PM
For the changes your talking about you should be ok. Like Starfury said its when you start getting into other peoples IP that you enter grey areas. 
Title: Re: What is legal to mod in a game?
Post by: GDS_Starfury on September 10, 2014, 11:45:14 PM
its always been in the best interests of developers and publishers to let modders do their thing.  it keeps the game theyre selling topical and makes revenue.  consider how many games we buy today based on what mods are currently available.  its also where developers find new talent for their cubicle farms. 
I recognized quite a few names from the past in the Panthers in the Fog credits.  there were also a bunch of people I recognized from HW modding when Relic started doing the WH series.  David Heath gave me a shot at revamping the graphics of War in Russia but getting married, renovating a house and my own business took front seat.  you never know where it will lead. 
thanks again David!
Title: Re: What is legal to mod in a game?
Post by: GDS_Starfury on September 10, 2014, 11:52:42 PM
Quote from: jomni on September 10, 2014, 10:29:17 PM
Just go mod it. But don't sell & share it unless you get permission.

in modding as in life its always better to ask for forgiveness.   O0
Title: Re: What is legal to mod in a game?
Post by: GDS_Starfury on September 11, 2014, 12:07:12 AM
also, in your release notes give FULL credit to the people whos work you built off of.  that goes a loooooooong way in removing any problems.
Title: Re: What is legal to mod in a game?
Post by: DoctorQuest on September 11, 2014, 09:16:48 AM
Thanks, everyone. You've pretty much verified what I was thinking. I'll keep plugging away at things and see how they turn out. The worst part, of course, is trying to figure out what all the data fields mean.  :uglystupid2: I've gotten the easier ones. At least the file is in clear text and not binary. Kudos to Mr. Tiller on that.  O0