GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => General Discussion => Topic started by: JudgeDredd on September 11, 2014, 03:22:46 AM

Title: R.I.P all 9/11 Victims
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 11, 2014, 03:22:46 AM
Title says it all.

A horrific crime against humanity.   :'(

I was watching my 2 year old daughter at home when I saw some a video feed on the news. I immediately thought Israel and Palestine were at it again...then I saw the other plane hit. I was absolutely horrified at what I was seeing.

Rest in peace. 
Title: Re: R.I.P all 9/11 Victims
Post by: Martok on September 11, 2014, 04:27:22 AM
Seconded.  (Damn, I can't believe it's been thirteen years already.)  RIP to the victims, and my thoughts & prayers to their families. 


In addition, I hope the murdering bastards behind that day are enjoying their eternal torment. 





(My thoughts are also with Gus.  Just try not to get *too* drunk...) 

Title: Re: R.I.P all 9/11 Victims
Post by: steve58 on September 11, 2014, 07:28:24 AM
May they rest in peace.   :'(
Title: Re: R.I.P all 9/11 Victims
Post by: Centurion40 on September 11, 2014, 08:08:40 AM
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fnjmonthly.com%2Fdownloads%2F8201%2Fdownload%2FSouth_River_9%3A11_Memorial.jpg&hash=55965c6970ecfdda104eee250aee3d0e3ebe96a5)
Title: Re: R.I.P all 9/11 Victims
Post by: bayonetbrant on September 11, 2014, 08:20:53 AM
^^
40Cent, that's an excellent memorial there
Title: Re: R.I.P all 9/11 Victims
Post by: bayonetbrant on September 11, 2014, 08:47:31 AM
Finally found something I've been pondering for years
This is a transcript of the Today Show on the morning of 9/11 as the second plane hit the World Trade Center and the entire situation was unfolding before our eyes.  No one had any clue yet that it was an attack, as there was only the 1 plane that his the first tower, and no plane down in AP yet, and nothing hit the Pentago yet.
For years, I could've sworn I heard Katie say "Looks like they've got some air traffic control problems." Turns out I wasn't completely wrong.
Just so you know, the transcript mis-identifies Elliott Walker as "Ms Walker".

QuoteKATIE COURIC, co-host:
Obviously, horrified commuters were--were absolutely devastated when they heard this explosion. We talked with somebody a moment ago about that, Jennifer Oberstein, and also another eyewitness, Elliott Walker, who is actually a producer here on the TODAY show.
Elliott, can you hear me?
Ms. ELLIOTT WALKER: Yes. Hi, Katie.
COURIC: Hi, Elliott. Tell me where you are and what you saw.
Ms. WALKER: Well, I live in this area. I returned to my apartment. But I was walking down the sidewalk delivering my young daughter to school. And we heard a very loud sound, the kind of sound you hear when a plane is, you know, going fast past you 'Nnnnnn,' followed by an enormous crash and an immediate explosion. I don't think we could feel shock waves, but we--we sort of felt like we did. And we were in a position where we could see the Trade Center almost immediately between the other buildings, and an enormous fireball that must have been 300 feet across was visible immediately, a secondary explosion, I think, and then plumes of smoke. I must be--there must have been a three-block cloud of--of white smoke. Now, from where I was on the street a moment ago, you can, in fact, see smoke leaving the building on three sides. It seems to be coming out on at least four or five floors. The area is filled with hundreds of dozens of pieces of paper that are just sort of floating like confetti. The area is swarmed with emergency vehicles and sirens. Obviously...
COURIC: Have you seen...
Ms. WALKER: ...we're very sensitive to this kind of thing in this neighborhood.
COURIC: Elliott, have you--of course, because of the incident that occurred in the early 1990s. Have you seen any--any evidence, Elliott, of--of people being taken out of the building? You say that emergency vehicles are there. Understandably so. But, of course, the major concern is human loss.
Ms. WALKER: Oh, my goodness.
COURIC: I mean, do you know if there were many people in the building?
Ms. WALKER: Oh, another one just hit. Something else just hit, a very large plane just flew directly over my building...
ROKER: Oh, my...
Ms. WALKER: ...and there's been another collision. Can you see it?
COURIC: Yes.
LAUER: Yes.
Ms. WALKER: I can see it on this shot.
COURIC: Oh, my...
Ms. WALKER: Something else has just...
LAUER: You know what...
Ms. WALKER: ...and that looked more like a 747.
LAUER: ...we just saw a plane circling the building. We just saw a plane circling the building, a second ago on the shot right before that.
Ms. WALKER: I think there may have been another impact. Can you tell? I just heard another very loud bang and a very large plane that might have been a DC-9 or a 747 just flew past my window, and I think it may have hit the Trade Center again.
LAUER: To be--to be honest, Elliott, I didn't--I didn't get the impression it was that big a plane. I...
Ms. WALKER: It looked big from here.
LAUER: I did see a plane go by a second ago, though. And it--it--it has now impacted the building.
Ms. WALKER: Yes.
LAUER: I'm trying to see if it is the different tower. It is. It's the other tower.
Ms. WALKER: I think it may have been the other tower.
COURIC: It's the second...
Ms. WALKER: The first one was World Trade Center One, and it looks, from what I'm seeing on television, like it may have been the second building that was hit.
LAUER: We're going to see--this is a piece of tape and we may actually see another plane enter the picture here in a second.
Ms. WALKER: I wonder if there are air traffic control problems.
LAUER: Let's go back to Jennifer Oberstein, who was talking to us a second ago.


So someone does say something about air traffic control problems, but not in the sarcastic way I remember. And it wasn't Katie, like I thought I remembered.
Title: Re: R.I.P all 9/11 Victims
Post by: Gusington on September 11, 2014, 09:18:58 AM
As time goes by this day gets a bit less difficult. Never thought I would be 'normal' again after that day. Maybe I won't. But at least I can function now.
Title: Re: R.I.P all 9/11 Victims
Post by: undercovergeek on September 11, 2014, 09:30:49 AM
dont know your story Gus, and im not going to ask - but my thoughts are with you and everyone else affected by that day
Title: Re: R.I.P all 9/11 Victims
Post by: BanzaiCat on September 11, 2014, 09:31:35 AM
It still makes my stomach queasy to view the footage or watch documentaries about it. But I will watch them and read about it every so often. I feel as if that helps keep their memories alive, those that perished.

I was at work at a temp office job and someone said a light airplane hit the WTC. Mumblings in the hall eventually made me go down to the break room where there were 30 people gathered just watching the North Tower burn. I watched too, and it was terrible to behold, but the way everyone was talking it sounded like it was an accident. I was a temp and had something to prove so I went back to work. Then the second one hit - I didn't see it live but certainly have many times since then. They let us go for the day so I went to get my son and daughter (2 1/2 and 6 mo. at the time, respectively, now 15 and 13) and went home and watched with utter disbelief for the rest of the day. My little ones just played - they had no idea what was going on of course.
Title: Re: R.I.P all 9/11 Victims
Post by: Gusington on September 11, 2014, 09:39:10 AM
You were in NYC that day? Didn't know that.

Me too.
Title: Re: R.I.P all 9/11 Victims
Post by: BanzaiCat on September 11, 2014, 10:48:07 AM
Quote from: Gusington on September 11, 2014, 09:39:10 AM
You were in NYC that day? Didn't know that.

Me too.

No no, sorry, I didn't mean to insinuate that. I was here in Houston. I do, however, have a cousin in the south tower, but she and her office mates took off as soon as the north tower was hit.
Title: Re: R.I.P all 9/11 Victims
Post by: Gusington on September 11, 2014, 11:01:23 AM
You didn't want to be here, trust me.
Title: Re: R.I.P all 9/11 Victims
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on September 11, 2014, 02:20:08 PM
The worst part was the video from other buildings of people jumping. That actually gave me a nightmare the next night.

I thought about this event last night. I hate the idea that the day becomes one of mild dread, wishing nothing will happen. They should not have the ability to ruin a day.

Best wishes to all families and friends of the victims.

Title: Re: R.I.P all 9/11 Victims
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 12, 2014, 08:41:08 AM
First hand photos from Ground Zero on 9/11 and the days thereafter.  Never forget the victims. Never forget who was responsible.

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t31.0-8/10658682_10152599962920376_8540370390041224498_o.jpg)

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10964_10152599962875376_7888965945922058012_n.jpg?oh=cab222d2e099057d9a1922a0415206dc&oe=5482E296&__gda__=1419730911_6c313740188999c7278b4fec40051e4b)

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10574504_10152599962760376_4095060789143195481_n.jpg?oh=bfec8f59cd60b60a36c322b713877ae2&oe=548CFAE9&__gda__=1417979030_74aec0f9fdfacd538cee8c4c4c048f9d)

(https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10653380_10152599962770376_5063885122088125545_n.jpg?oh=9fd4b5bcbdeebba2215a0daf89f67f44&oe=548DC71E)

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t31.0-8/10633200_10152599962885376_7304031865347805_o.jpg)

(https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10689998_10152599962765376_4820617502971449168_n.jpg?oh=d8b523d4197b738ca570870bb0762765&oe=548FDD22)

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10659399_10152599962775376_984031324164623691_n.jpg?oh=67b5a1316aea702bf0c1bcf6b9f327fb&oe=549F4233&__gda__=1422933337_853bf2e11a1702c0d77d341231f65017)

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10703726_10152599962855376_3252719691113004328_n.jpg?oh=1393071832ded5955e366c72d135e691&oe=54CD12C8&__gda__=1422931613_7f1d936c4efd02bd77e43fa726b6da02)

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10383547_10152599962845376_5119977219367171465_n.jpg?oh=a2597f4fccced75554daaef842a20730&oe=54CCC848&__gda__=1418543149_15529c3bc6ff52aec7c5764f03a8f635)

(https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/10420289_10152599962925376_1998264794285367161_n.jpg?oh=857079a578778fa423a8d53b3f471927&oe=54D03632)

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10534189_10152599962955376_2272480606853480381_n.jpg?oh=7fe0b506e86a56e9d53122fc172881c7&oe=5485D1E9&__gda__=1419788684_16dd4358b8ed0bf5bb5a8e1917960811)

(https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t31.0-8/10704337_10152599965260376_4719220201458804151_o.jpg)

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t31.0-8/10694358_10152599965265376_640320821028879930_o.jpg)

(https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/10679640_10152599965250376_1615629550632596915_o.jpg)

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10703917_10152599965255376_2438154167948377723_n.jpg?oh=282a2e13f55d90101f0ca3163ca33044&oe=5499DC82&__gda__=1417887229_36e88d6aa7d070d518260c9e2fce8168)

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t31.0-8/10623483_10152599965800376_3022482355062095516_o.jpg)

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t31.0-8/10629437_10152599965795376_3665465598268506312_o.jpg)

(https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10703801_10152599965790376_6849133772547399797_n.jpg?oh=a2da4e129b1b0564105325df51b5dd79&oe=549BA121)

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t31.0-8/1523343_10152599966740376_2621727989540264097_o.jpg)

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t31.0-8/10582989_10152599966745376_181027965795713038_o.jpg)

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t31.0-8/10662079_10152599967730376_7760592682193031434_o.jpg)
Title: Re: R.I.P all 9/11 Victims
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 12, 2014, 08:52:59 AM
Very moving pictures JH

What I did want to ask was this...something like 350 firefighters were lost in that one attack. How does a city recover from that size of loss? What is the size of the NY fire service?
Title: Re: R.I.P all 9/11 Victims
Post by: BanzaiCat on September 12, 2014, 09:13:40 AM
Over 10,000 firefighters, over 3,500 EMS personnel, and almost 2,000 civvies work for the NYFD, as of 2013.

10 divisions comprised of 53 battalions, spread out over a total of 255 stations including 34 EMS-only stations (no fire equipment) and 3 fireboat stations.

In 2013 they handled almost half a million calls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_Fire_Department

On 9/11, 414 of them were killed. That includes 341 firefighters and 2 paramedics from the NYC fire department, 37 police officers from the Port Authority, 23 police officers from the NYC police department, and 8 EMTs from private hospitals.

16 battalions, 3 divisions, 33 engine companies, 1 haz-mat unit, 29 ladder companies, 5 rescue companies, 1 special ops unit, and 5 squads all lost personnel that day.

Ladder 3, for example, is a company of about 25 firefighters. They lost 22 men that day. So many others lost half their compliment that day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_workers_killed_in_the_September_11_attacks

Even losing ONE such firefighter or emergency worker in the line of duty is a hugely painful experience for the ENTIRE rescue community, not just within their area of operations but to the community at large across the country. Firefighters and EMS personnel will come from hundreds of miles away to attend the funeral of a fallen comrade. So, 9/11 was on the level of a holocaust for the community. Not to lessen the deaths of the thousands of other victims at all - I'm just relating how rescue workers in general react to this.
Title: Re: R.I.P all 9/11 Victims
Post by: GDS_Starfury on September 12, 2014, 09:34:39 AM
taken from wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_Fire_Department

The FDNY employs approximately 10,200 uniformed firefighters and over 3,600 uniformed EMTs and paramedics.
so while tragic the numbers were less then 5% of the total available force. 

I really hate cold numbers...  >:(
Title: Re: R.I.P all 9/11 Victims
Post by: LongBlade on September 12, 2014, 11:29:03 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 12, 2014, 09:34:39 AM
I really hate cold numbers...  >:(

I hate Islamo-facists.
Title: Re: R.I.P all 9/11 Victims
Post by: GDS_Starfury on September 12, 2014, 11:46:04 AM
Im still down for orbital kinetic strikes.
Title: Re: R.I.P all 9/11 Victims
Post by: BanzaiCat on September 12, 2014, 12:47:05 PM
...it's the only way to be sure.
Title: Re: R.I.P all 9/11 Victims
Post by: Staggerwing on September 12, 2014, 05:46:37 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on September 12, 2014, 09:13:40 AM

Even losing ONE such firefighter or emergency worker in the line of duty is a hugely painful experience for the ENTIRE rescue community, not just within their area of operations but to the community at large across the country. Firefighters and EMS personnel will come from hundreds of miles away to attend the funeral of a fallen comrade. So, 9/11 was on the level of a holocaust for the community. Not to lessen the deaths of the thousands of other victims at all - I'm just relating how rescue workers in general react to this.

I can attest to this. When I was an EMT back in the 80's a drunk hit an ambulance head on on the highway, killing one EMT and one trainee as well as the patient they were transporting. The second EMT permanently lost the use of one of his arms. I personally knew all three crewmembers. A coworker and I were privileged to be able to show our support by representing our EMS unit (based out of our local hospital) and drive an ambulance in one of the funeral processions. We were far from alone. There were at least thirty other ambulances from a number of surrounding states, never mind all the civilian vehicles as well. One of the crews was even from Canada. It was a humbling experience, seeing those crews who must have gotten into their rigs the night before to drive all night and morning just to be there in time.
Title: Re: R.I.P all 9/11 Victims
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 12, 2014, 06:08:32 PM
There were many brave men and women that day - I can guarantee you something - the suicide bombers, whilst devoted to their cause, were not brave

The brave were the innocents.

RIP all and I hope everyone affected recovers - one day. Thanks for your input.  :(
Title: Re: R.I.P all 9/11 Victims
Post by: BanzaiCat on September 12, 2014, 06:52:09 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on September 12, 2014, 05:46:37 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on September 12, 2014, 09:13:40 AM

Even losing ONE such firefighter or emergency worker in the line of duty is a hugely painful experience for the ENTIRE rescue community, not just within their area of operations but to the community at large across the country. Firefighters and EMS personnel will come from hundreds of miles away to attend the funeral of a fallen comrade. So, 9/11 was on the level of a holocaust for the community. Not to lessen the deaths of the thousands of other victims at all - I'm just relating how rescue workers in general react to this.

I can attest to this. When I was an EMT back in the 80's a drunk hit an ambulance head on on the highway, killing one EMT and one trainee as well as the patient they were transporting. The second EMT permanently lost the use of one of his arms. I personally knew all three crewmembers. A coworker and I were privileged to be able to show our support by representing our EMS unit (based out of our local hospital) and drive an ambulance in one of the funeral processions. We were far from alone. There were at least thirty other ambulances from a number of surrounding states, never mind all the civilian vehicles as well. One of the crews was even from Canada. It was a humbling experience, seeing those crews who must have gotten into their rigs the night before to drive all night and morning just to be there in time.

Absolutely.

When I was a paramedic, we had a medic that got into a car accident that broke her leg. She hobbled around on a cast for the longest time and I remember making jokes with her about it. She got the cast off, then about a week later she died in a car accident. We all took it hard, but her partner took it hardest. You form bonds with those folks that little can break. I've known an asshole or two that were medics in those years but in general most are really good people that are totally dedicated to their jobs. Everyone I knew would not have hesitated to enter those towers, just like the ones that didn't make it out.
Title: Re: R.I.P all 9/11 Victims
Post by: Gusington on September 14, 2014, 11:17:47 AM
Here in my small village there was a medic who was also killed by a drunk driver very similar as described above 25+ years ago. Because of what happened to her, our ambulance corps got a huge influx of modern safety equipment and money to buy more.