GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Slick Wilhelm on September 12, 2014, 06:56:26 PM

Title: Silent Hunter Complete for 10 bucks!
Post by: Slick Wilhelm on September 12, 2014, 06:56:26 PM
http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-SHC/silent-hunter-complete-bundle

If you've ever wanted to play the finest submarine simulations on the planet, you can get all three for $10. What an amazing deal!

I think I paid about $100 combined for Silent Hunter III and IV when they first released, so for a mere pittance you can have Silent Hunter V as well.
Title: Re: Silent Hunter Complete for 10 bucks!
Post by: Staggerwing on September 12, 2014, 07:01:18 PM
Very tempting.

Still, I own several of the SH games and I don't remember seeing this on the box/DL page:

QuoteA PERMANENT INTERNET CONNECTION AND CREATION OF A UBISOFT ACCOUNT ARE REQUIRED TO PLAY THIS VIDEO GAME AT ALL TIMES AND TO UNLOCK EXCLUSIVE CONTENT. SUCH CONTENT MAY ONLY BE UNLOCKED ONE SINGLE TIME WITH A UNIQUE KEY. YOU MUST BE AT LEAST 13 TO CREATE A UBISOFT ACCOUNT WITHOUT PARENTAL CONSENT. UBISOFT MAY CANCEL ACCESS TO ONLINE FEATURES UPON A 30-DAY PRIOR NOTICE PUBLISHED AT http://silent-hunter.us.ubi.com/silent-hunter-5/.

If it was there already I should have paid more attention.
Title: Re: Silent Hunter Complete for 10 bucks!
Post by: Bison on September 12, 2014, 07:07:21 PM
That might be for just SHV.  It originally had the crappy always online requirement of Ubi.  Now it just uses the crappy Ubi game login, but is or can be played offline.  I know there is much hate for SHV, but I really enjoy playing it.
Title: Re: Silent Hunter Complete for 10 bucks!
Post by: Slick Wilhelm on September 12, 2014, 07:13:44 PM
Yes, if I recall correctly, the obnoxious Ubi-DRM is for Silent Hunter V only.

I've haven't played SH5 yet, but from what I've read, SH3 and 4 are better.
Title: Re: Silent Hunter Complete for 10 bucks!
Post by: Bison on September 12, 2014, 07:16:32 PM
Well there are some pretty extensive mods available for SH3 and SH4.  I just play SH5 unmodded for a relaxing time prowling the Atlantic sinking ships.
Title: Re: Silent Hunter Complete for 10 bucks!
Post by: Staggerwing on September 12, 2014, 07:18:10 PM
I wish the bundle had the original SH in it's Commander's Edition iteration. I had that one as well but lost track of it over the last two decades.
Title: Re: Silent Hunter Complete for 10 bucks!
Post by: Nefaro on September 12, 2014, 07:24:17 PM
Quote from: Bison on September 12, 2014, 07:07:21 PM
That might be for just SHV.  It originally had the crappy always online requirement of Ubi.  Now it just uses the crappy Ubi game login, but is or can be played offline.  I know there is much hate for SHV, but I really enjoy playing it.

It's alright.  But mods that fix a few issues are definitely needed, and ones that extend the content is highly recommended.

SH4 + it's expansion were the best all-around.  Although I think the vanilla version is too easy and still doesn't provide enough fog of war in some areas (friendly/enemy colored map symbols for instance).  But that's a matter of preference (and mods and settings).   Manual targetting all the way, baby.   >:D


I stopped playing SH3 years ago.  It was past it's prime after SH4 got some updates and a couple of the incessant bugs that were never, and could never, be fixed  in SH3 would drive me absolutely nuts.  Even modded, they still showed up on a regular basis.  Like malaria.
Title: Re: Silent Hunter Complete for 10 bucks!
Post by: Bison on September 12, 2014, 07:31:36 PM
I'd also just go to http://www.subsim.com/index.php and browse the forums which might help figure out which edition you want to play.
Title: Re: Silent Hunter Complete for 10 bucks!
Post by: Greybriar on September 12, 2014, 07:57:17 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on September 12, 2014, 07:01:18 PM
Very tempting.

Still, I own several of the SH games and I don't remember seeing this on the box/DL page:

QuoteA PERMANENT INTERNET CONNECTION AND CREATION OF A UBISOFT ACCOUNT ARE REQUIRED TO PLAY THIS VIDEO GAME AT ALL TIMES AND TO UNLOCK EXCLUSIVE CONTENT. SUCH CONTENT MAY ONLY BE UNLOCKED ONE SINGLE TIME WITH A UNIQUE KEY. YOU MUST BE AT LEAST 13 TO CREATE A UBISOFT ACCOUNT WITHOUT PARENTAL CONSENT. UBISOFT MAY CANCEL ACCESS TO ONLINE FEATURES UPON A 30-DAY PRIOR NOTICE PUBLISHED AT http://silent-hunter.us.ubi.com/silent-hunter-5/.

If it was there already I should have paid more attention.

You omitted the line immediately preceding the quote:

QuoteFor Silent Hunter 5:

But why does GamersGate list all four of the Silent Hunter offers as having Tagés? Does SH5 have both Uplay and Tagés DRM? In the past Ubisoft used Tagés for the games that did not implement Uplay.
Title: Re: Silent Hunter Complete for 10 bucks!
Post by: -budd- on September 12, 2014, 08:27:00 PM
heck i don't want them all, just #3 .....without tages and ubisoft account sign up. It happens eventually and i'm patient.....now back to my backlog :P
Title: Re: Silent Hunter Complete for 10 bucks!
Post by: Staggerwing on September 12, 2014, 09:29:08 PM
Thanks for pointing that out Greybriar.
Title: Re: Silent Hunter Complete for 10 bucks!
Post by: Boggit on September 13, 2014, 06:03:16 AM
I picked it up in a similar GG sale a couple of weeks ago. Great value, and a no brainer now at that price! O0
Title: Re: Silent Hunter Complete for 10 bucks!
Post by: Nefaro on September 13, 2014, 10:19:09 AM
Quote from: Greybriar on September 12, 2014, 07:57:17 PM

But why does GamersGate list all four of the Silent Hunter offers as having Tagés? Does SH5 have both Uplay and Tagés DRM? In the past Ubisoft used Tagés for the games that did not implement Uplay.


The DRM for SH4 was removed within the first couple patches because it's "Fade" type DRM was faulty, registering false positives for legitimate owners.  No DRM on the it anymore, unless Ubi recently added it to the download version (which would be a dick move that wouldn't surprise me .. it IS Ubi after all.)

SH3 originally had Starforce DRM on it's disk.  Ya know.. the one that could (and did, in my case) screw up your optical drive to some extent.   Now that I find myself mentioning these different versions of DRM that they've used in the series, I wouldn't be surprised if they added Tages DRM to the digital download version.  It's another shitty online activation system, one in which I've had to manually update the DRM software before getting it to work properly in the past.  Ridiculous.  :knuppel2: