GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Apocalypse 31 on September 16, 2014, 01:03:54 PM

Title: Blitzkrieg Anthology Released on Steam
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on September 16, 2014, 01:03:54 PM
My goodness, this game sucked up hundreds of hours in gameplay. Absolutely loved it, and it was a staple on my hard drive for a very long time.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/313480/?snr=1_4_4__tab-NewReleasesFilteredDLC

Easily one of the best WW2 RTS to ever exist.

Steam has also released Blitzkrieg II Anthology, although I didn't enjoy it as much as the original.
Title: Re: Blitzkrieg Anthology Released on Steam
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 16, 2014, 01:52:09 PM
I always found these games impossibly difficult. Units just get slaughtered by the dozens and I could never get the hang of effective control. So while I'm struggling to micromanage my units on one side of the map, my units on the other side are getting butchered.

Still, a great game in concept.
Title: Re: Blitzkrieg Anthology Released on Steam
Post by: bbmike on September 16, 2014, 02:05:55 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 16, 2014, 01:52:09 PM
I always found these games impossibly difficult. Units just get slaughtered by the dozens and I could never get the hang of effective control. So while I'm struggling to micromanage my units on one side of the map, my units on the other side are getting butchered.

Still, a great game in concept.

You just described the problem I have with just about all real-time strategy games.
Title: Re: Blitzkrieg Anthology Released on Steam
Post by: Boggit on September 16, 2014, 02:14:49 PM
^^ +1 to both of you.
Title: Re: Blitzkrieg Anthology Released on Steam
Post by: DoctorQuest on September 16, 2014, 02:34:14 PM
Quote from: bbmike on September 16, 2014, 02:05:55 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 16, 2014, 01:52:09 PM
I always found these games impossibly difficult. Units just get slaughtered by the dozens and I could never get the hang of effective control. So while I'm struggling to micromanage my units on one side of the map, my units on the other side are getting butchered.

Still, a great game in concept.

You just described the problem I have with just about all real-time strategy games.

Me, too :) I picked this up on gog and it's a great looking game but I consistently get my butt kicked.
Title: Re: Blitzkrieg Anthology Released on Steam
Post by: -budd- on September 16, 2014, 04:46:48 PM
Just one question..... Is there a pause button.
Title: Re: Blitzkrieg Anthology Released on Steam
Post by: bobarossa on September 16, 2014, 05:41:41 PM
Quote from: -budd- on September 16, 2014, 04:46:48 PM
Just one question..... Is there a pause button.
The Blitzkrieg manual says there is a pause button and you can issue orders while paused.  I bought the anthology during the GOG sale but haven't tried it yet (way too many games). 
Title: Re: Blitzkrieg Anthology Released on Steam
Post by: Tuna on September 16, 2014, 05:43:35 PM
I loved it!.. I too got many hours of play out of it.. One of those games where you could upgrade as you go along!.. Fun for MP too!
Title: Re: Blitzkrieg Anthology Released on Steam
Post by: Sparhawk on September 16, 2014, 08:19:06 PM
I loved those games. The only way I can play rts is with a pause button and it got well used. One nice feature of the game was being able to speed up or slow down time depending on the ebb and flow of battle. Use the concept of "combined arms" for most success as your individual types of units will get slaughtered  without backup from other types.
Title: Re: Blitzkrieg Anthology Released on Steam
Post by: BanzaiCat on September 16, 2014, 08:42:56 PM
Ha, my mouse pad for the last 11 years is a Blitzkrieg-themed one (I worked with CDV as a freelancer way back when).

Thanks for the heads up, I added it to my cart. Wonder how long the sale is good for.
Title: Re: Blitzkrieg Anthology Released on Steam
Post by: jomni on September 16, 2014, 08:59:13 PM
I remember just blasting away everything with artillery.

Good memories.  I think I'll buy it. $5 is nothing much.
Title: Re: Blitzkrieg Anthology Released on Steam
Post by: Tuna on September 17, 2014, 05:57:47 AM
Quote from: jomni on September 16, 2014, 08:59:13 PM
I remember just blasting away everything with artillery.

Good memories.  I think I'll buy it. $5 is nothing much.

Yep, you'd use your sniper to scope them out, just out of view of your main forces, and drop all the Arty on them!

lol.. really stunk when all your snipers got killed if you weren't paying attention!.. I think officers could see a lil further ahead too..
Title: Re: Blitzkrieg Anthology Released on Steam
Post by: jomni on November 03, 2014, 09:23:56 AM
OMG!  Just started playing this again. Gameplay is really great and satisfying.
Nevermind the old graphics, they are still acceptable and easy on the eyes.
Despite the RTS chaos, going slow and steady is the key. 
Scouting -> probing -> bombarding -> securing -> reinforcing.  Rinse and repeat.
Only problem is when your key units are knocked out, you can't get them back any more during the mission.
Title: Re: Blitzkrieg Anthology Released on Steam
Post by: chemkid on November 03, 2014, 10:38:13 AM
it's these kind of games that make me forget my sorrow. the graphics just make my day and my system keeps wanting more and more!!
thanks for the reminder - what a great game!!

cheers!
chem!
Title: Re: Blitzkrieg Anthology Released on Steam
Post by: Grim.Reaper on November 04, 2014, 07:58:12 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 16, 2014, 01:52:09 PM
I always found these games impossibly difficult. Units just get slaughtered by the dozens and I could never get the hang of effective control. So while I'm struggling to micromanage my units on one side of the map, my units on the other side are getting butchered.

Still, a great game in concept.

Pretty much my same problem with this game and other RTS games....they just get way out of control too fast for me....
Title: Re: Blitzkrieg Anthology Released on Steam
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on November 04, 2014, 09:24:51 PM
There a game speed toggle
Title: Re: Blitzkrieg Anthology Released on Steam
Post by: Staggerwing on November 04, 2014, 09:32:52 PM
Does it have a 'Speed of Bureaucracy' setting?