GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => General Discussion => Topic started by: DicedT on September 18, 2014, 03:30:23 PM

Title: Hammer of the Scots
Post by: DicedT on September 18, 2014, 03:30:23 PM
In honor of Scotland's referendum.

Hard as it was, I refrained from using any of the puns from the previous Scottish thread.  http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2014/09/18/like_stratego_with_more_bagpipes_scotland_independence_referendum_hammer_of_the_scots

Michael
Title: Re: Hammer of the Scots
Post by: bayonetbrant on September 18, 2014, 03:42:49 PM
we can always go crash the comments and do it for you! ;)
Title: Re: Hammer of the Scots
Post by: LongBlade on September 18, 2014, 03:43:59 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 18, 2014, 03:42:49 PM
we can always go crash the comments and do it for you! ;)

Great Scot! An excellent idea!
Title: Re: Hammer of the Scots
Post by: Toonces on September 18, 2014, 05:14:02 PM
I've always thought that game looked interesting, but I've never been able to nail down the rules.
Title: Re: Hammer of the Scots
Post by: LongBlade on September 18, 2014, 05:17:32 PM
Quote from: Toonces on September 18, 2014, 05:14:02 PM
I've always thought that game looked interesting, but I've never been able to nail down the rules.

Am I missing something? I don't see a pun in that reply. The shock almost kilt me.
Title: Re: Hammer of the Scots
Post by: DicedT on September 18, 2014, 05:38:48 PM
Actually, if you want to leave comments -- from a wargamer's perspective -- on the FP site or on their Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/foreign.policy.magazine), that would be great. Most people aren't familiar with historical wargames, and someone to guide them would be wonderful.

MacPuns are optional.

Michael
Title: Re: Hammer of the Scots
Post by: Toonces on September 19, 2014, 12:31:54 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on September 18, 2014, 05:17:32 PM
Quote from: Toonces on September 18, 2014, 05:14:02 PM
I've always thought that game looked interesting, but I've never been able to nail down the rules.

Am I missing something? I don't see a pun in that reply. The shock almost kilt me.

hammer...nail.  Man alive, if I have to explain it it's not funny.   ::)
Title: Re: Hammer of the Scots
Post by: LongBlade on September 19, 2014, 12:37:35 PM
Quote from: Toonces on September 19, 2014, 12:31:54 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on September 18, 2014, 05:17:32 PM
Quote from: Toonces on September 18, 2014, 05:14:02 PM
I've always thought that game looked interesting, but I've never been able to nail down the rules.

Am I missing something? I don't see a pun in that reply. The shock almost kilt me.

hammer...nail.  Man alive, if I have to explain it it's not funny.   ::)

Ooohhhhh. Mighty clever of you! I totally missed it.  :uglystupid2:
Title: Re: Hammer of the Scots
Post by: Toonces on September 19, 2014, 12:39:52 PM
I call it a "stealth pun".  They're the most dangerous kind of all.   >:D
Title: Re: Hammer of the Scots
Post by: Staggerwing on September 19, 2014, 01:33:46 PM
The pun equivalent of a Silent but Deadly?
Title: Re: Hammer of the Scots
Post by: bob48 on September 19, 2014, 01:59:47 PM
Quote from: Toonces on September 19, 2014, 12:39:52 PM
I call it a "stealth pun".  They're the most dangerous kind of all.   >:D

Awesome. I bow down to a master punster.  O0
Title: Re: Hammer of the Scots
Post by: mirth on September 19, 2014, 02:03:07 PM
Quote from: bob48 on September 19, 2014, 01:59:47 PM
I bow down to a master punster.  O0

A munster.
Title: Re: Hammer of the Scots
Post by: bob48 on September 19, 2014, 02:18:50 PM
He did manage to screw that one in without us noticing.
Title: Re: Hammer of the Scots
Post by: BanzaiCat on September 19, 2014, 04:40:09 PM
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.quickmeme.com%2Fimg%2F8d%2F8d8ff55caa61296e016210c75da233332115cfbf6bebac6d81e02fe54b34e493.jpg&hash=530146ce2fe9c2db1d48c848066e4872f86065a7)
Title: Re: Hammer of the Scots
Post by: mirth on September 19, 2014, 05:13:58 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on September 19, 2014, 04:40:09 PM
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.quickmeme.com%2Fimg%2F8d%2F8d8ff55caa61296e016210c75da233332115cfbf6bebac6d81e02fe54b34e493.jpg&hash=530146ce2fe9c2db1d48c848066e4872f86065a7)


lmao
Title: Re: Hammer of the Scots
Post by: Toonces on September 19, 2014, 08:42:26 PM
But seriously, I have been thinking of picking this game up.  It looks fantastic.  I just recently finished Tranter's Stewart Trilogy after finishing the Bruce Trilogy, chronicling Scotland's wars with England for independence.  Obviously this game is a perfect match for that reading.
Title: Re: Hammer of the Scots
Post by: bayonetbrant on September 19, 2014, 09:50:44 PM
it's a great game, but it's a high-operational game.  Aside from some names on the counters - accurate, but only for flavor - there's not a ton of uniqueness or distinction between the different clans.