GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: mikeck on September 23, 2014, 12:26:22 PM

Title: Game recommendation: strategic bombing?
Post by: mikeck on September 23, 2014, 12:26:22 PM
I'm looking for a game where I can direct strategic bombing and such in the (near?) modern age; post WW2 and preferably the Cold War. I am interested in basically playing the role of SAC in planning bombing missions, arranging for refueling, etc.

Does this exist?
Title: Re: Game recommendation: strategic bombing?
Post by: Nefaro on September 23, 2014, 12:28:39 PM
Good luck finding a way to play with your SAC. 

:))
Title: Re: Game recommendation: strategic bombing?
Post by: LongBlade on September 23, 2014, 12:39:11 PM
Quote from: mikeck on September 23, 2014, 12:26:22 PM
I'm looking for a game where I can direct strategic bombing and such in the (near?) modern age; post WW2 and preferably the Cold War. I am interested in basically playing the role of SAC in planning bombing missions, arranging for refueling, etc.

Does this exist?

Yes. I've only played the mid east game, but VN is based on it. It's really good, but you're going to want to learn how to truly orchestrate an air campaign to get the most out of it.

http://johntillersoftware.com/ModernAirPower.html

And though you didn't want to have WWII I can heartily recommend this, too:

http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/Products/defreich/defreich.htm
Title: Re: Game recommendation: strategic bombing?
Post by: mikeck on September 23, 2014, 01:10:30 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 23, 2014, 12:28:39 PM
Good luck finding a way to play with your SAC. 

:))

Okay, I see what you did there
Title: Re: Game recommendation: strategic bombing?
Post by: mikeck on September 23, 2014, 01:13:20 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on September 23, 2014, 12:39:11 PM
Quote from: mikeck on September 23, 2014, 12:26:22 PM
I'm looking for a game where I can direct strategic bombing and such in the (near?) modern age; post WW2 and preferably the Cold War. I am interested in basically playing the role of SAC in planning bombing missions, arranging for refueling, etc.

Does this exist?

Yes. I've only played the mid east game, but VN is based on it. It's really good, but you're going to want to learn how to truly orchestrate an air campaign to get the most out of it.

http://johntillersoftware.com/ModernAirPower.html

And though you didn't want to have WWII I can heartily recommend this, too:

http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/Products/defreich/defreich.htm

Thank you. I appreciate the recommendations.  I was really looking for something more strategic, as in "B1 bombers B-52 bomber's launching cruise missiles and over Moskow "type a thing as opposed to tactical combat and air support....but I appreciate the time thank you

Edit: I think "command modern naval combat" will be my best bet
Title: Re: Game recommendation: strategic bombing?
Post by: LongBlade on September 23, 2014, 01:51:34 PM
You're welcome. Sorry I couldn't find anything closer to what you wanted.
Title: Re: Game recommendation: strategic bombing?
Post by: Toonces on September 23, 2014, 02:24:11 PM
CMANO is going to be your best bet.  I'm not familiar with any other computer game that does what you're asking.

There are likely some boardgames that tackle the subject, but that's a whole other discussion.
Title: Re: Game recommendation: strategic bombing?
Post by: Kushan on September 23, 2014, 02:45:59 PM
Think Command is going to be your best bet. Although I don't think there is currently a scenario covering the subject, but it wouldn't be hard to create one. One of the things I really like about Command is the ability to actually play while in editor mode. I play far more in the editor then I do a normal scenario.
Title: Re: Game recommendation: strategic bombing?
Post by: mikeck on September 23, 2014, 04:06:26 PM
What do you know.... the scenario with the very top of the "mods and scenarios" section

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3703348

Title: Re: Game recommendation: strategic bombing?
Post by: Kushan on September 23, 2014, 09:53:28 PM
This might be what your looking for as well.

Quote
Wargasm: It is 1962 and you are one of the Strategic Air Command's finest. Your job is conducting thermonuclear war against the forces of the Soviet Union. A massive and and well-researched scenario. (Note: The corny-sounding title is from authentic declassified nuclear war plans of the era!)

Baloogan has a longer description on his wiki.

http://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php/Scenario?Location=scens%2F%2FWargasm+1962.scen (http://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php/Scenario?Location=scens%2F%2FWargasm+1962.scen)

You can get it as part of the community scenario pack

http://www.warfaresims.com/?page_id=1876 (http://www.warfaresims.com/?page_id=1876)