I see that Starpoint Gemini 2 has been released. I tried the demo for the original, and while I liked the idea behind the game, I found the actual execution to have left something to be desired. So I wasn't really following this sequel that much. However, today I went to the Steam forum to see the initial opinions about this version and the forums seem ecstatic with joy. :) People are calling it a proper spiritual heir to classic games like Freelancer, or even the X series!
Has anyone given it a try? Is it really that good?
Edit: Launch trailer:
I've actually been a bit disappointed that they dropped the Starfleet Command style combat system for a more Arcade-like one.
Admittedly the original game's combat system could use more tweaking, enough to have made me do mod the damage system a bit, but I think they should've improved it a good deal in #2. Instead they switched to a style of 3rd person flying/shooter which makes it feel more like you're flying around in fighters the whole time as opposed to large warships with many firing arcs and limited maneuverability that requires some strategizing. :(
Okay, point noted. But what about the open world aspects? Is it really like the X series? Some are even comparing it to an offline Eve Online (which is what they used to say about X3TC).
Strange, i had a realy great experience flying in my carrier with a big asrenal, using the turret view to control the battle.
It gives you a nice feel, when there is more then 10+ ships (from gunners to battleships) covering every angel of your normal view.
I can say, the guys made a really nice game with a beautiful universe that gives every player a great deal of immersiveness.
Quote from: Shootthemup on September 26, 2014, 05:52:45 PM
Strange, i had a realy great experience flying in my carrier with a big asrenal, using the turret view to control the battle.
It gives you a nice feel, when there is more then 10+ ships (from gunners to battleships) covering every angel of your normal view.
I can say, the guys made a really nice game with a beautiful universe that gives every player a great deal of immersiveness.
Are you saying the player can lead fleets with over 10 ships?
I've been doing some more digging in this game and I have to say that I am becoming really tempted to jump in. The game is already 20% off, and I have a coupon for another 23% off from GMG, so that makes it like $22. Not much risk there! :) I just wish somebody would get a v1.0 vid out there already.
Here is one from the late beta:
I am also intrigued. If you get it RB please post impressions.
I've played since beta... just ask any questions and I will answer. I've played a few hours since release as well.
PE
I am glad to hear about this free DLC because I cannot make heads or tails out of the campaign in SG2. I desperately need the first campaign to get the politics.
Quote[2015/5/13] Update v1.4000 - La Résistance française!
MAY 13 - DANIJEL
Greetings captains,
It's been awhile since our last update, but we have been working. Unfortunately, not everything is ready just yet. Our biggest announcement is the upcoming free DLC featuring a complete storyline, even longer than the original campaign. As we promised, we've been recreating the storyline from Starpoint Gemini 1 and it should become available in June! We'll make sure to announce the release as soon as we're ready!
But, let's return to the business at hand. What's this update about? Several things:
Preparations for the upcoming free DLC
Standard assortment of minor fixes
And last, but nowhere near least: French localization. ALL credit goes to the esteemed gentleman by the name of Sébastien Gigot, a member of this amazing community, who took it upon himself to translate the entire game to French.
Mr. Gigot, we owe you a debt of gratitude we can hardly repay. THANK YOU!
As always, if you encounter problems, let us know and we'll do our best to answer and help as fast as possible.
And finally we come to the already standard change list:
CHANGE LIST
ADDED: Follow mission button, which comes in handy when juggling several missions at once
FIXED: Active Only button on the logs panel, now properly toggles between active/non-active missions
ADDED: New mission markers (on the HUD and the Starchart) for acquired/followed missions
ADDED: Campaign missions now have mission-appropriate images
FIXED: Several errors in the Cat and Mouse campaign missions (Shinova problem)
FIXED: Several minor errors in Second Front Baeldor side mission
ADDED: Throttle/Slider implemeted for Thrustmaster Flight Hotas X, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, Cybord F.L.Y. 5 flight stick. ship speed should now properly change according to the position of the joystick's throttle/slider.
FIXED: Some issues with resetting to default controls. Full Gamepad control (for Xbox controllers) should now properly load the correct controls at game start-up and the "Reset" button at Options->Controls should now reset the controls for the appropriate controller.
UPDATED: Support for the following controllers:
Logitech F710 Wireless Controller
Logitech Rumble Gamepad F510
Thrustmaster Flight Hotas X
Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
FIXED: A bug where you were sometimes unable to accept a main mission (pressing Accept didn't start the mission)
UPDATED: Minor changes in the flare system
FIXED: Minor fixes in the Defense platform hitpoints calculations
UPDATED: File loading system improved (optimized for mods and DLCs)
FIXED: A potential problem related to News panels on stations where the game was attempting to access the wrong region
FIXED: A potential problem related to loading textures on some graphics cards
FIXED: A potential problem when drawing asteroids on some graphics cards
FIXED: A potential problem when drawing junkyard on some graphics cards
FIXED: Several fixes and improvements in the game log recording
As I await Powerplay for Elite, I have been busying myself with SG2. Yeah, still like it. Don't regret the purchase at all. But the game does need an expansion that will give us strategic options, such as territory control and station building. Fortunately, this type of expansion is expected in the winter.