GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: JudgeDredd on October 13, 2014, 05:02:36 PM

Title: For any Combat Mission Madmen out there...explanation please?
Post by: JudgeDredd on October 13, 2014, 05:02:36 PM
Can anyone explain why I've managed a Major Victory in the first mission of the German Campaign in Combat Mission Shock Force?

There were 41 minutes left, the enemy had a fair few troops left, I had not captured objectives Kilnsman or Frings

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1160.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq499%2Fwmar1967%2FGame%2520Screenies%2FSnap3_zps41b40ce1.jpg&hash=a36e929106f6d8e2ec6eac485cb3101b0376afb5)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1160.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq499%2Fwmar1967%2FGame%2520Screenies%2FSnap4_zpsb4e951ee.jpg&hash=fa14e0f34f933f2c2396ec5d82757fb5f6f882d4)

Also, the report says I only had 1 man dead and 9 wounded. I'm pretty sure I had more than 1 man killed and more than 9 men injured.

I mean - I'm happy - but I just can't believe the stats and the fact that I was awarded two objectives I didn't have ANY troops in...and the enemy had a fair few in position!
Title: Re: For any Combat Mission Madmen out there...explanation please?
Post by: panzerde on October 13, 2014, 05:14:32 PM
You KIA/WIA enough enemy to break their morale and they surrendered. That's not a terribly uncommon end in CMSF particularly with Syrian regulars or uncon enemies. Neither have terribly high morale to start with, and it will rapidly deteriorate to "Panic" if they take fire and/or see a lot of their little pixel buddies get greased. I just played a battle that was supposed to run 90 minutes and I inflicted enough damage in thirty that the uncons I was facing packed up the Winnebago and left for parts unknown.

That sort of result is going to be even more the case at the Basic Training skill level. 
Title: Re: For any Combat Mission Madmen out there...explanation please?
Post by: jomni on October 13, 2014, 07:33:36 PM
Basic training skill? Lol!
Title: Re: For any Combat Mission Madmen out there...explanation please?
Post by: Cyrano on October 13, 2014, 07:35:47 PM
You be nice!

I'd never have made it my first run through the CW EPSOM campaign without the BT option!!  It does, I confess, give one a false impression of what happens with you ramp of the difficulty...like, say, when you play against humans, right Judge?

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Title: Re: For any Combat Mission Madmen out there...explanation please?
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on October 13, 2014, 09:58:03 PM
It looks like securing the ground was the primary objective, and judging by the screenshot, you seized it from the enemy.

Also, in regards to KIA. I think that if you apply aid to incapacitated Soldiers it prevents them from dying, although it appears that they die. Some kind of abstract evacuation.
Title: Re: For any Combat Mission Madmen out there...explanation please?
Post by: GDS_Starfury on October 13, 2014, 11:47:57 PM
the game engaged its "Gus AI"  ::)     :smitten:
Title: Re: For any Combat Mission Madmen out there...explanation please?
Post by: Sir Slash on October 14, 2014, 10:02:51 AM
CMBN and it's offspring have the same thing-- when the AI morale drops to zero, they "Surrender". Usually you'll get credit for the victory objectives but not always which can be frustrating. The original CM had a slider bar that showed morale for both sides as the battle progressed. Now I can usually tell if the AI morale is near zero when they run as my units get close or will no longer stand under fire. So you can win a scenario by inflicting losses on the enemy, without capturing the vic. locations, by breaking their morale.
Title: Re: For any Combat Mission Madmen out there...explanation please?
Post by: Cyrano on October 14, 2014, 11:20:46 AM
It strikes me that this is a much bigger deal when dealing with UNCONS than not.  I don't recall overmany battles against the Wehrmacht or 4AD ending up this way.  Also, as suggested above, BT difficulty makes all opponents quite brittle.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)