Is it just me or has GOG sort of been in the shitter over the last couple of months. They seem to be more in the business of releasing new indie-ish games these days and this business of selling movies? Crap independent movies no less? What gives? It seems like it has been a very long time since they released anything that I would consider a golden era classic game, and even longer since they have released any that I was excited over.
Seems like maybe they have exhausted their ability to license and sell the classics?
You're right. The change began this past summer after they announced a big sale of all their old games and now they rarely mention them. And practically all their new releases are indies now. I had a bitch of a time downloading the last game I bought from there, having to download it in multiple parts or else installing their own installer which never worked properly. The game was Neverwinter Nights 2 Gold which was a big game but hardly compares with the present day monsters. It's sad to see. :'(
I think it got harder for them to find new classic games to release...i am indeed less excited than before to check their page. Still, they released Starpoint Gemini 2 this week which is great.
Totally agree. The 'O' in GOG is seriously lacking lately.
Note that there have been a couple whole catalog sets of old games removed from GOG, I assume by the current rights holders, in the past year or so.
Seeing as how they don't get near as many new titles to sell there, since increasing amounts are sold solely on Steam (*cough* monopoly rising), then they have to add whatever they can. The video game industry thrives on constantly selling new titles, so I'm sure they must continue to add as much as they can without dredging the bottom too much.
In the past polls about what GOG customers wanted to see sold there more, I always marked "new game releases". Because I like their No-DRM policy and ease of use. I dunno where some of the movie stuff came from, but to be fair Steam has started doing it too (along with accounting software and other such).
I've still seen a few oldies released on GOG but I think the biggest hurdle is the rights owners putting them up for sale there. Or in some recent cases - taking them down.
Yet another indication that we will eventually be 'one nation under Steam'?
GOG seems to me one of the few sites offering something different from Steam while providing a user experience that is in some ways comparable to Steam. It's not the fabulously, addictively integrated experience that Steam offers, but it's novel and pleasing in its own way -- whereas sites like GamersGate and Greenmangaming do nothing to make me want to shop and spend time there, beyond the occasional nice discount. They're just websites, and I don't see how they can compete with Steam in the long run (or maybe not so long run). GameStop has an 'app' of course, but...*yawn*.
If GOG goes tits up (and nice new avatar btw, Anguille), Steam's superiority as a game distributor will just seem that much more unassailable...
Quote from: sandman2575 on October 15, 2014, 11:34:44 AM
Yet another indication that we will eventually be 'one nation under Steam'?
GOG seems to me one of the few sites offering something different from Steam while providing a user experience that is in some ways comparable to Steam. It's not the fabulously, addictively integrated experience that Steam offers, but it's novel and pleasing in its own way -- whereas sites like GamersGate and Greenmangaming do nothing to make me want to shop and spend time there, beyond the occasional nice discount. They're just websites, and I don't see how they can compete with Steam in the long run (or maybe not so long run). GameStop has an 'app' of course, but...*yawn*.
If GOG goes tits up (and nice new avatar btw, Anguille), Steam's superiority as a game distributor will just seem that much more unassailable...
+1
GOG.com needs enough sales to stay in business. While I don't particularly like the path GOG.com has taken, I can understand the reason behind it. Where else online are DRM-Free games sold? As long as GOG.com sells DRM-Free PC games, I will do what I can to support them.
Quote from: sandman2575 on October 15, 2014, 11:34:44 AM
Yet another indication that we will eventually be 'one nation under Steam'?
GOG seems to me one of the few sites offering something different from Steam while providing a user experience that is in some ways comparable to Steam. It's not the fabulously, addictively integrated experience that Steam offers, but it's novel and pleasing in its own way -- whereas sites like GamersGate and Greenmangaming do nothing to make me want to shop and spend time there, beyond the occasional nice discount. They're just websites, and I don't see how they can compete with Steam in the long run (or maybe not so long run). GameStop has an 'app' of course, but...*yawn*.
If GOG goes tits up (and nice new avatar btw, Anguille), Steam's superiority as a game distributor will just seem that much more unassailable...
What is wrong with "one nation under steam"? They do it better. As you say, they provide a great user experience. If someone wants to compete with them, they have to figure out how to do it better. That is the genius of our economy. If someone makes something that works better, it will sell. I'm not going to support a worse product for the sole reason of resisting a better one.
Just got an email from GOG asking for help playtesting "GOG Galaxy," some kind of multiplayer platform, and in exchange I'd get a free key for Alien vs. Predator Classic from 2000 or so.
Don't want to give the wrong impression -- I LOVE Steam, to an unhealthy degree, probably. I've pretty much given up on other venues like GamersGate. I load up Steam on startup, and have pretty much everything I need at my fingertips.
But I do worry slightly about Steam's crowding out competition. It's not Valve's fault that they've created an outstanding product -- it's up to competitors to up their game if they want to compete. But even though I don't personally buy a lot of games from GOG, I like their site a lot -- like the aesthetic, like the UI and options, like the D/L and management features. So I want GOG to succeed, and want there to be some viable alternatives -- or maybe 'supplements' is more accurate -- to Steam.
Thing is, Steam has noted GOG's popularity and has been offering classic games that only GOG used to host. I don't know if this has been ongoing or not and I've just not noticed it until now, but when I saw Sid Meier's Covert Action available on Steam recently, I thought that didn't bode well for GOG.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/327390/
They offer this and Colonization and Pirates! in one pack for $11.24. Kind of high but it's tempting; if I didn't already have Covert Action (via GOG, incidentally) and Pirates! on my iPad, this might intrigue me.
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 15, 2014, 01:27:09 PM
Thing is, Steam has noted GOG's popularity and has been offering classic games that only GOG used to host. I don't know if this has been ongoing or not and I've just not noticed it until now, but when I saw Sid Meier's Covert Action available on Steam recently, I thought that didn't bode well for GOG.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/327390/
They offer this and Colonization and Pirates! in one pack for $11.24. Kind of high but it's tempting; if I didn't already have Covert Action (via GOG, incidentally) and Pirates! on my iPad, this might intrigue me.
They started selling old GOG-style games sometime last year IIRC.
I've had doubts as to whether Steam would spend the time getting them to work properly, and especially follow-up if there were still some compatibility issues left after they released something. I've had numerous old GOG games get further compatibility patches.
With Steam's CS reputation, I don't have much faith in them doing any such tweaks on their oldies. Unless they utilize the ones done by GOG for the people who own the rights and previously sold it on GOG.
As for the Steam vs GOG debate, they both have their strengths. I purchased my AOW3 stuff from GOG. There are quite a few new games I'd prefer to buy there than anywhere else, if I could. But another issue is that some new releases are out on Steam long before GOG. Don't know whether by agreements but it's a good bet. Sometimes I don't even expect one to be on GOG so I get it on Steam before finding out, weeks later, that there will be a GOG version. That doesn't help.
This is news? They rebranded from Good Old Games to GOG, with resultant diversification (the whole point of the rebranding) ages ago. And as has already been said, how many old classics are there left? I imagine it's an utter nightmare grappling with all those rights issues
and negotiating no DRM into the bargain.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 15, 2014, 01:11:00 PM
What is wrong with "one nation under steam"?
Eggs, baskets. Also, with GOG's no-DRM approach you
own the games you buy. With Steam you own nothing, you're just renting for an indeterminate period.
Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 15, 2014, 02:39:54 PM
This is news? They rebranded from Good Old Games to GOG, with resultant diversification (the whole point of the rebranding) ages ago. And as has already been said, how many old classics are there left? I imagine it's an utter nightmare grappling with all those rights issues and negotiating no DRM into the bargain.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 15, 2014, 01:11:00 PM
What is wrong with "one nation under steam"?
Eggs, baskets. Also, with GOG's no-DRM approach you own the games you buy. With Steam you own nothing, you're just renting for an indeterminate period.
I'm not going to go down this rabbit hole right now. When steam folds, or tells me that I can no longer play any of the games I've bought because they are revoking my licenses, then I'll let you say, "I told you so." until then, I will continue to put my money towards the most user friendly, convenient and enjoyable digital management system on the planet. You want to avoid joining the rest of the world's enjoyment, your choice, your loss.
Calm down buddy. I have plenty of games on Steam. I'm simply pointing out that not everyone agrees that there's nothing wrong with a single company being the sole gatekeeper to your games collection.
Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 15, 2014, 03:42:53 PM
Calm down buddy. I have plenty of games on Steam. I'm simply pointing out that not everyone agrees that there's nothing wrong with a single company being the sole gatekeeper to your games collection.
I'm totally calm. Promise. I need to learn how to use the smileys. :crazy2:
.
Quote from: eyebiter on October 15, 2014, 04:33:00 PM
Free Aliens vs Predator 2000 key from GOG with Galaxy beta sign up
http://www.gog.com/galaxy
It's not immediate, though. Says you gotta wait a few days as they'll release keys in batches instead of piecemeal.
I understood GOG having to diversify to keep growing, but the way they've gone about it seems pretty weak. A pile of indie games that have been available elsewhere for months already and one samey looking platformer after another is not interesting. And this whole movies thing never has made a lick of sense to me at all. They still don't have an easy way to deal with a growing game collection, and now they're throwing more digital media into the mix? Why not get the first thing right and THEN branch out?
Their PR doesn't help. They consistently build up anticipation for what turns out to be pretty 'meh' releases. Maybe GOG Galaxy turns out to be a terrific addition, but after their Chicken Little PR over-selling things again and again, I no longer believe that the sky is falling.
Personally, I don't like the movement to movies. Let other sites do that - Netflix, Hulu, etc. GOG is for games and it just seems dumb for them to go that route.
Competition is okay, but when it makes no sense...sort of like GrogHeads selling a GH-themed thong.
Err...wait a second...nevermind. :coolsmiley:
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 16, 2014, 07:34:41 AM
Personally, I don't like the movement to movies. Let other sites do that - Netflix, Hulu, etc. GOG is for games and it just seems dumb for them to go that route.
Competition is okay, but when it makes no sense...sort of like GrogHeads selling a GH-themed thong.
Err...wait a second...nevermind. :coolsmiley:
Surprisingly, the thong is our biggest seller. Only the jock strap comes close in terms of sales.
As long as this doesn't devolve into a "Guess What I'm Wearing Underneath?" game at the next convention GH attends. Unless it's hawt chicks.
GOG has lost the license to a proportion of their old catalogue. GOG has also instituted some significant price increases across-the-board.
Still, I will purchase from GOG over STEAM or anyplace else simply because the GOG releases don't have DRM. You can take a GOG game anywhere and also do not need an internet connection. If you have to travel extensively, GOG is just better than STEAM IMHO.
Quote from: airboy on October 16, 2014, 11:26:24 AM
GOG has lost the license to a proportion of their old catalogue. GOG has also instituted some significant price increases across-the-board.
They never really had the license exclusively, aside for a few titles which they had a limited exclusive on. If you buy most of those games anywhere else, you're getting the same version that GOG sells.
I thought they twiddle it to work on win 7 and 8
Quote from: undercovergeek on October 16, 2014, 12:23:13 PM
I thought they twiddle it to work on win 7 and 8
Yeah, but the game still belongs to the rights holder. That rights holder can sell any form of that game that they want (regardless of who tweaked it) anywhere that they want to sell it.
Quote from: undercovergeek on October 16, 2014, 12:23:13 PM
I thought they twiddle it to work on win 7 and 8
Where did you get that avatar? It's hypnotising
Hand on heart I googled 'girls holding big tits' And chose one that would be allowed
I'm betting it's some kind of Russian reality/game show. I wonder if a little reverse-google-fu will enlighten us.
EDIT: Girl's name is Katya Sidorenko. Googling her name and tumblr is very NSFW- I implore you all not to do so. No. Don't do it. Stop I say. Stop now.
(Too late I guess... >:D)
lol, yes youre right - i figured she was Russian
weirdly enough Stars one is 3 rows done on the google search
Quote from: Staggerwing on October 16, 2014, 06:36:01 PM
I'm betting it's some kind of Russian reality/game show. I wonder if a little reverse-google-fu will enlighten us.
EDIT: Girl's name is Katya Sidorenko. Googling her name and tumblr is very NSFW- I implore you all not to do so. No. Don't do it. Stop I say. Stop now.
(Too late I guess... >:D)
Too late indeed... :smitten:
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 15, 2014, 01:11:00 PM
What is wrong with "one nation under steam"? They do it better. As you say, they provide a great user experience. If someone wants to compete with them, they have to figure out how to do it better. That is the genius of our economy. If someone makes something that works better, it will sell. I'm not going to support a worse product for the sole reason of resisting a better one.
Just to join the piling on... Having everybody flock to a single product provider didn't hurt the client experience for Microsoft OS. And BlackBerry was awesome under RIM, no need for improvising there. I sure am thankful that the Japanese auto-makers didn't have anything to teach GM about quality control...
As you say, there's no reason to buy an inferior product. But if a certain firm builds up too much market share, it leads to atrophy in the industry. Just my $0.02.
Meanwhile, Steam not only releases a high-def remastered version of Cinemaware's Wings today, but also a totally unremastered version of Microprose's Darklands.
Talk about Gogging, man. :o
I...have never heard of Darklands. How can this be? I thought I knew most MicroProse products...
Oh, it was released in '92. My gaming declined sharply that year because I met a woman that I ended up marrying. Cough.
Hmm...this game has a very Sword of the Samurai feel to it from the trailer. Five bucks...not too bad. Any of you played it?
Quote from: Anguille on October 17, 2014, 03:52:35 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on October 16, 2014, 06:36:01 PM
I'm betting it's some kind of Russian reality/game show. I wonder if a little reverse-google-fu will enlighten us.
EDIT: Girl's name is Katya Sidorenko. Googling her name and tumblr is very NSFW- I implore you all not to do so. No. Don't do it. Stop I say. Stop now.
(Too late I guess... >:D)
Too late indeed... :smitten:
Man alive, that is not an ugly girl at all... :smitten:
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 17, 2014, 10:29:24 PM
I...have never heard of Darklands. How can this be? I thought I knew most MicroProse products...
Oh, it was released in '92. My gaming declined sharply that year because I met a woman that I ended up marrying. Cough.
Hmm...this game has a very Sword of the Samurai feel to it from the trailer. Five bucks...not too bad. Any of you played it?
I picked up Darklands on GOG a couple years ago. I had also missed it originally due to tail chasing.
It must've been quite a game for 1992. There's a lot in it for the time. It was still interesting to play, even for someone without any nostalgic memories, but the low-res pixelation can get annoying after a bit. Especially with the font and in combat where you gotta be careful where you click.
Quote from: Toonces on October 17, 2014, 10:38:13 PM
Quote from: Anguille on October 17, 2014, 03:52:35 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on October 16, 2014, 06:36:01 PM
I'm betting it's some kind of Russian reality/game show. I wonder if a little reverse-google-fu will enlighten us.
EDIT: Girl's name is Katya Sidorenko. Googling her name and tumblr is very NSFW- I implore you all not to do so. No. Don't do it. Stop I say. Stop now.
(Too late I guess... >:D)
Too late indeed... :smitten:
Man alive, that is not an ugly girl at all... :smitten:
she needs more freedom.
lets invade.
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 17, 2014, 10:29:24 PM
I...have never heard of Darklands. How can this be? I thought I knew most MicroProse products...
Exactly this. There must have been very poor marketing for this game!
I notice it's part of a "classic adventure pack" on Steam which includes
Bloodnet, Darklands, Dragonsphere, Rex Nebular and
Sword of the Samurai.
Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 18, 2014, 02:01:29 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 17, 2014, 10:29:24 PM
I...have never heard of Darklands. How can this be? I thought I knew most MicroProse products...
Exactly this. There must have been very poor marketing for this game!
I notice it's part of a "classic adventure pack" on Steam which includes Bloodnet, Darklands, Dragonsphere, Rex Nebular and Sword of the Samurai.
I'm tempted, but not very. If it were ten bucks that might be doable. Dragonsphere, for one, is free on GOG:
http://www.gog.com/game/dragonsphere
Further, on GOG Bloodnet is $2.39, Darklands is $2.39, Rex Nebular is $2.39, and Sword of the Samurai is $2.39. I'm bad at math, but that's under ten bucks for all five games on GOG as opposed to Steam's "deal" for nearly $20.
Yeah, except for major sales, Steam is almost never better for prices.
Well, a lot of those games are 60% off at GoG over the weekend -- possibly because they were just released on Steam. ;)
I recall the Darklands advertising in 92 to be pretty thorough; I also vaguely recall buying it and being very unhappy about it for some reason and returning it to the store for a refund -- probably due to bugs.
Oh well. I snagged Capitalism 2 a few minutes ago. :)
Quote from: FarAway Sooner on October 17, 2014, 05:20:42 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 15, 2014, 01:11:00 PM
What is wrong with "one nation under steam"? They do it better. As you say, they provide a great user experience. If someone wants to compete with them, they have to figure out how to do it better. That is the genius of our economy. If someone makes something that works better, it will sell. I'm not going to support a worse product for the sole reason of resisting a better one.
Just to join the piling on... Having everybody flock to a single product provider didn't hurt the client experience for Microsoft OS. And BlackBerry was awesome under RIM, no need for improvising there. I sure am thankful that the Japanese auto-makers didn't have anything to teach GM about quality control...
As you say, there's no reason to buy an inferior product. But if a certain firm builds up too much market share, it leads to atrophy in the industry. Just my $0.02.
Actually Microsoft OS 8, 8.1 is a piece of shit for non-touchscreen computers. Even for touchscreen computers, you still have to customize it to get to icons for your programs easily. Their solution? The next OS which they call 10. So they really expect people to buy a whole new OS to compensate for their screw up. Frankly they are out of their minds. I had planned on buying Office in a new 64 bit version, but after their obscene abuse of their customers I decided to stick with my Office 2003 (academic from when I worked at a college) No revenue for the bitches!
Quote from: JasonPratt on October 18, 2014, 09:55:47 AM
Well, a lot of those games are 60% off at GoG over the weekend -- possibly because they were just released on Steam. ;)
I recall the Darklands advertising in 92 to be pretty thorough; I also vaguely recall buying it and being very unhappy about it for some reason and returning it to the store for a refund -- probably due to bugs.
Oh well. I snagged Capitalism 2 a few minutes ago. :)
Good choice, Cap 2 is a good product. I prefer Cap+ for the supply chain model. Other than that Cap 2 is probably the best economic game out there.