GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Bison on April 19, 2012, 04:58:22 PM

Title: Gaming Sick
Post by: Bison on April 19, 2012, 04:58:22 PM
Anyone have a "comfort food" game or genre that you like to play while sick? 

I've got a hellacious head cold and cannot sleep any more.  I put in a solid 16 hours straight.    Right now I'm just struggling on deciding which game to play.  Something that doesn't take a ton of concentration or twich reflexes.

I'm sure I'll come up with something.  Most likely something like CIV V.  Turn based and not a ton of number crunching.  Something that will allow me to nap or space out and not forget what I was doing.  Or perhaps NWN 2 or Dragonage.  Slow paced RPG goodness.
Title: Re: Gaming Sick
Post by: LongBlade on April 19, 2012, 05:09:15 PM
I used to play Steel Panthers.

Maybe give Naval War a go?
Title: Re: Gaming Sick
Post by: Staggerwing on April 19, 2012, 05:11:06 PM
Sign up for netflix and watch comfort food TV shows on your PC instead. If you have a Wii, PS3, or xBox you can watch on that as well. A couple of cheesy SyFy movies might do the trickl. Or, watch a few episodes of A-team or lost in space. Netflix also has more military docs than you can shake a Falchion or Ballista at.
Title: Re: Gaming Sick
Post by: son_of_montfort on April 19, 2012, 05:15:35 PM
When I'm sick I go for something lighter - typically Minecraft or something like that. Sometimes I hit an action RPG. I certainly DON'T play heavy hitters or stats-heavy games.

Although I do tend to go for Dwarf Fortress, which isn't exactly "light."
Title: Re: Gaming Sick
Post by: Hartford688 on April 19, 2012, 05:25:44 PM
I would agree with your Dragon Age: Origins suggestion. No big rush playing it.

Steam and Iron or WC:NAW as well.
Title: Re: Gaming Sick
Post by: Hartford688 on April 19, 2012, 05:26:53 PM
 ::)
Title: Re: Gaming Sick
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 19, 2012, 05:39:08 PM
I just downloaded the demo for Sniper Elite v2 on Steam and I'm having a blast.  Give it a whirl if you like slow motion scenes of your bullets flying through the air and then tumbling through viscera.  (Love the slo-mo internal organ damage cam!)
Title: Re: Gaming Sick
Post by: Windigo on April 19, 2012, 05:48:09 PM
Quote from: Bison on April 19, 2012, 04:58:22 PM
Anyone have a "comfort food" game or genre that you like to play while sick? 

I've got a hellacious head cold and cannot sleep any more.  I put in a solid 16 hours straight.    Right now I'm just struggling on deciding which game to play.  Something that doesn't take a ton of concentration or twich reflexes.

I'm sure I'll come up with something.  Most likely something like CIV V.  Turn based and not a ton of number crunching.  Something that will allow me to nap or space out and not forget what I was doing.  Or perhaps NWN 2 or Dragonage.  Slow paced RPG goodness.



World of Tanks - go arty
Title: Re: Gaming Sick
Post by: Gusington on April 19, 2012, 08:12:36 PM
The Diablo games are good at taking my mind off general misery. Vessel is good at that too.
Title: Re: Gaming Sick
Post by: Slick Wilhelm on April 19, 2012, 08:16:34 PM
The Drift, 1879. Not too intellectual, but wargaming at its finest.

http://www.jlssg.com/the_drift.html
Title: Re: Gaming Sick
Post by: TheCommandTent on April 19, 2012, 08:17:08 PM
Civ 5 but if I'm feeling to bad I usually watch TV online or get lost watching Youtube LP videos.
Title: Re: Gaming Sick
Post by: Bison on April 19, 2012, 08:40:31 PM
Well I went in and out of several games, but it was all a no go.  I've been watching the Stanley Cup playoffs instead.  I've got Shogun 2 reloading now, which should be done installing sometime this year.  I most likely mess around with that later on.
Title: Re: Gaming Sick
Post by: Gusington on April 19, 2012, 08:59:35 PM
^I have to think a lot when playing TW. But that's just me.
Title: Re: Gaming Sick
Post by: Bison on April 19, 2012, 09:01:35 PM
Yeah.  It's pretty slow paced though I find.  Even the battles, which I tend to play in super slomo.
Title: Re: Gaming Sick
Post by: Gusington on April 19, 2012, 09:05:43 PM
Hmm...well you do get to think a lot before you make your moves, both in the campaign and tactical parts. But I suck more than usual when sick. Try out Vessel dude.
Title: Re: Gaming Sick
Post by: Martok on April 27, 2012, 05:25:33 AM
I tend to read books and watch movies when I'm sick. 

If I do feel the urge to game, though, I'll usually fire up a new campaign in Birth of the Federation.  I've played that one enough over the years that my brain can more or less run on auto-pilot the first 100-150 turns.