GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Greybriar on October 22, 2014, 08:05:36 AM

Title: That Which Sleeps
Post by: Greybriar on October 22, 2014, 08:05:36 AM
That Which Sleeps (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kingdinosaurgames/that-which-sleeps) looks promising. I rarely back Kickstarters but I thought this one should be worth a $10 investment.

Four (4) hours to go before this Kickstarter ends.

Edit: For what it's worth, That Which Sleeps has been Greenlit on Steam (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=316173232&searchtext=That+Which+Sleeps).
Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: Steelgrave on October 22, 2014, 08:23:43 AM
Wow! I'm in!    :o

Thanks for the heads up, GB.
Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: Nefaro on October 22, 2014, 08:57:39 AM
Nice find.

I've not done much Kickstarter, especially lately, but I'll definitely pick this up when it's released.  So may as well get it cheap now.
Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: Jarhead0331 on October 22, 2014, 09:04:38 AM
That's the most original and catchy title since, "Sins of a Solar Empire"
Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: FlickJax on October 22, 2014, 10:07:19 AM
backed it
Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: LongBlade on October 22, 2014, 10:19:42 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 22, 2014, 09:04:38 AM
That's the most original and catchy title since, "Sins of a Solar Empire"

+1
Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: tgb on October 22, 2014, 10:54:29 AM
I bought in a while ago.  This is my most anticipated release for 2015.
Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: Gusington on October 22, 2014, 11:07:06 AM
700% backing?? Wow.
Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: LongBlade on October 22, 2014, 11:20:56 AM
Quote from: Gusington on October 22, 2014, 11:07:06 AM
700% backing?? Wow.

It's a Cthulhu game.

They all seem to go nuclear on Kickstarter.
Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: mikeck on October 22, 2014, 12:02:14 PM
They had me at "evil"
Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: Nefaro on October 22, 2014, 01:30:55 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on October 22, 2014, 11:20:56 AM
Quote from: Gusington on October 22, 2014, 11:07:06 AM
700% backing?? Wow.

It's a Cthulhu game.

They all seem to go nuclear on Kickstarter.


Especially when we can be a GOO and plot the doom of existence.



MUAHAHAAAA!!!!
(evil laugh)

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2F2XfswSLHgkXXa%2Fgiphy.gif&hash=920ee7976b8f233a7bcc1bb01505b7e18212de60)

Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: Nefaro on April 06, 2015, 03:28:36 PM
They've been posting some WIP screenshots.



(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fe3.kickstarter.com%2Fmpss%2Fc%2F6gA%2F6TYCAA%2Ft.1ly%2FO_hggQ8UR72k5aULe0SVyw%2Fh3%2FmnGBRCdlqnozBwxW4XmdIJ3hI4pasZx2U0M0mfmRlw90LcDLNPZTQBTFydl3PwEueCbqmWo5YS71OQRJa-2BwcP-2FNX4t-2FEpAHr6bWVRloj9vk-3D&hash=982dc13fbb0cbd3cb7c6935a32451753bd51911e)

Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: Nefaro on July 21, 2015, 12:05:53 AM
Hopefully we'll get some more info on gameplay from the Beta release before long. 

The KS updates & screenshots give me a bit of a King Of Dragon Pass and Solium Infernum vibe, with the player in the role of a (evil?) deity manipulating a fantasy world through their cultists/agents. 


(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kingdinosaurgames.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F06%2FMiracleRaid.png&hash=4d37a6080e6a315854e6b3edb9cb18683a970fee)


(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kingdinosaurgames.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F06%2FBloodMagic-1.png&hash=fcf85840e04660e3eb415d98614b603d5d23570c)



Early version of the 'Planes' screen:

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kingdinosaurgames.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F06%2FPlanes.png&hash=eacbb9aa0775abed4b7fabb0ac52c848d6840f8f)
Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: tgb on July 21, 2015, 03:46:00 AM
I am so looking forward to this.
Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: bob48 on July 21, 2015, 05:11:57 AM
Interesting. I'll keep an eye on this one.
Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: Ubercat on July 21, 2015, 10:35:55 AM
Dammit! When I saw someone had posted in this thread I assumed it was to say that early access was finally available! This is the first PC game, probably in a few years, that will be a day one purchase for me.
Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: Huw the Poo on July 21, 2015, 12:29:12 PM
They're a couple of months from early access, apparently, unless you were a backer.
Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: Tpek on July 21, 2015, 01:33:07 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on July 21, 2015, 12:29:12 PM
They're a couple of months from early access, apparently, unless you were a backer.

I'm a backer. But the cost for the beta tier was too high (and honestly, I've got too much to go with betas right now anyway).
Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: Boggit on July 21, 2015, 02:31:55 PM
It looks good. :)

The catch line "That Which Sleeps" did get me thinking - what has my cat got to do with a computer game...? ;D
Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: Nefaro on October 02, 2015, 02:47:56 PM
Preview of game setup, some of the 'Old Ones' available to play, and tidbits.



Bonus points for King Of Dragon Pass reference.


Hopefully the next vid, with the first bit of gameplay, will be up before long.  :)
Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: tgb on October 02, 2015, 07:34:12 PM
This is easily my most anticipated game of 2016.  The second this goes live I will be on it like Bill Cosby on...on...just about anyone, I guess.
Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: Nefaro on October 02, 2015, 10:04:23 PM
Quote from: tgb on October 02, 2015, 07:34:12 PM
This is easily my most anticipated game of 2016. 


... or 2017?  :P
Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: Tpek on October 03, 2015, 03:48:29 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 02, 2015, 10:04:23 PM
Quote from: tgb on October 02, 2015, 07:34:12 PM
This is easily my most anticipated game of 2016. 


... or 2017?  :P

Oh Great Old Ones no!
I didn't bother to keep much track of the development, but please tell me they're still planning to release next year.
Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: Nefaro on October 03, 2015, 01:38:00 PM
Quote from: Tpek on October 03, 2015, 03:48:29 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 02, 2015, 10:04:23 PM
Quote from: tgb on October 02, 2015, 07:34:12 PM
This is easily my most anticipated game of 2016. 


... or 2017?  :P

Oh Great Old Ones no!
I didn't bother to keep much track of the development, but please tell me they're still planning to release next year.

AFAIK, it's going to be released end of this year or early next year. 

I was joking about their original flawed & far too optimistic target date in the Kickstarter.  Which was something like August 2015.  ;D
Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: Nefaro on October 28, 2015, 09:39:59 AM
New vid showing some map UI info and some agent options.


Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: Xtiaan72 on October 28, 2015, 11:31:45 AM
Great vid. Really looking forward to this one.
Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: Tpek on January 16, 2017, 04:33:01 PM
I might as well necro this thread.

Doesn't look like this game will ever come out.
The KS comments page is full of rage and people calling out to complain to the FTC and such.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kingdinosaurgames/that-which-sleeps/comments

Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: Nefaro on January 16, 2017, 05:14:29 PM
Quote from: Tpek on January 16, 2017, 04:33:01 PM
I might as well necro this thread.

Doesn't look like this game will ever come out.
The KS comments page is full of rage and people calling out to complain to the FTC and such.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kingdinosaurgames/that-which-sleeps/comments


AFAICT, the two guys creating it had some kind of fallout.   

Last I checked, one of them proclaimed his intention of continuing work on it.  But that's in dispute, if not for authenticity then some kind of possible legal battle between the two running it.


Ahhhh Kickstarter.   ::)
Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: Greybriar on January 16, 2017, 11:19:25 PM
According to this (http://matthewhopkinsnews.com/?p=4505), those who backed That Which Sleeps were duped. >:(
Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: PAK on January 17, 2017, 07:46:41 AM
Geez, I was on the verge of backing it, back in the 2014...
Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: FlickJax on January 17, 2017, 08:40:10 AM
I backed it, dont think i will back anymore
Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: FlickJax on January 25, 2017, 11:06:54 AM
Oh My god an update:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kingdinosaurgames/that-which-sleeps/posts/1791571?ref=backer_project_update
Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: Greybriar on January 25, 2017, 01:40:20 PM
Quote from: FlickJax on January 25, 2017, 11:06:54 AM
Oh My god an update:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kingdinosaurgames/that-which-sleeps/posts/1791571?ref=backer_project_update

Yes, I got an email with the same information.

Are we getting snowed?
Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: Steelgrave on January 25, 2017, 02:20:39 PM
Quote from: Greybriar on January 25, 2017, 01:40:20 PM
Quote from: FlickJax on January 25, 2017, 11:06:54 AM
Oh My god an update:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kingdinosaurgames/that-which-sleeps/posts/1791571?ref=backer_project_update

Yes, I got an email with the same information.

Are we getting snowed?

I'm chilly until proven otherwise. As far as I'm concerned, the update sounded overly-optimistic when compared to recent negative press, kind of a "move along, nothing to see here" tone. We're not getting our money back so I'll keep my fingers crossed for a finished product, but I remain skeptical for now.
Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: Nefaro on January 25, 2017, 04:56:46 PM
Reading between the lines on the update gobbledygook makes it sound like some of it had to be dumbed down to eliminate bugs.   ???
Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: Steelgrave on January 25, 2017, 05:11:56 PM
^Yeah, I caught a whiff of "perhaps we were too ambitious" in the message myself.
Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: joram on January 25, 2017, 05:39:50 PM
I agree with that sentiment.  Despite the obvious scale back in scope, I still think there is going to be a unique and interesting game in there.
Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: Nefaro on March 11, 2018, 04:44:47 AM
It still lives?!   :o

New mechanics vids.  <:-)



Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: Tpek on March 11, 2018, 04:57:58 AM
Who knows, maybe it will actually get released some day.
Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: Greybriar on March 11, 2018, 09:51:11 AM
The last email update I received about That Which Sleeps was on 20 November 2017. It reads:

"That Which Sleeps
Posted by King Dinosaur Games (Creator)



Going forward I will be posting a video every week until release, please keep your eyes on the YouTube channel for updates as I move forward.  I understand the healthy skepticism you may feel towards that statement and respect it.

I apologize for the silence - I haven't dealt with the defects both in development and in design in a respectful or professional manner.  I've essentially put four years of my life into this game and the setbacks that recur have felt crippling at times and I turn inward as a coping method. 

The game is in a good state - it's complex, polished, and rich with content.  I'll be working hard to get it out to you as soon as possible.

Design wise obviously a lot of things have changed.  The major changes have been gating challenges behind Local Assets and with Profile being fluid.  I'll write up a full description of the mechanics and the implications they create/solve in the next update"


I haven't been following King Dinosaur Games' YouTube channel in search of more recent videos.
Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: Huw the Poo on March 11, 2018, 10:03:35 AM
Holy shit, I'd completely written this off!  I really hope it gets released.
Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: Yskonyn on March 12, 2018, 05:09:22 AM
Never heard of this game before now, but reading up on the history of development (or lack thereof) it seems to me they already informed everyone duely of what it would be and what their intentions were right from day one with the title of the game!  ;D ;D
Its your own fault you fell for its materialistic lure by looking at pretty shiny pictures!  :dreamer:
Title: This looks interesting
Post by: Boggit on May 28, 2018, 10:56:37 PM
Just got this email from Sauron about the game "That which sleeps". Still in development and awaiting Steam Greenlight, it looks very intriguing. :bd:

As Sauron put it :

A game worthy of me! >:D

That Which Sleeps
http://www.kingdinosaurgames.com/

"That Which Sleeps is a turn-based PC game which allows the player the chance to assume the role of an
awakening evil power which must manipulate the world from the shadows in order to weaken it for his return.
Utilize a variety of nefarious agents, battle it out against meddlesome heroes, and corrupt the leaders of the
world all while deceiving the world into thinking that everything is status quo."


Conceptually, it sounds a bit like the game Plague Evolved - lay low and strike when you're powerful.

That Which Sleeps - Agents, Powers, and Challenges


That Which Sleeps - Attributes and Mechanics I


That Which Sleeps - Attributes and Mechanics II
Title: Re: This looks interesting
Post by: SirAndrewD on May 28, 2018, 11:15:48 PM
Original discussion was here. 

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=11515.msg600113#msg600113

Stopped following around the accusation of fraud by the community stage. 
Title: Re: This looks interesting
Post by: Ian C on May 29, 2018, 04:57:55 AM
Please Delete.
Title: Re: This looks interesting
Post by: DennisS on May 29, 2018, 01:31:59 PM
Will this be a Steam game? It looks very Lovecraft-ian...I like the premise a lot. It also looks fantastically complex.
Title: Re: This looks interesting
Post by: Boggit on May 31, 2018, 12:22:11 AM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on May 28, 2018, 11:15:48 PM
Original discussion was here. 

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=11515.msg600113#msg600113

Stopped following around the accusation of fraud by the community stage.
I'd never heard of it before.

This is news to me. It doesn't sound encouraging. I saw the video's Sauron sent me, and thought damn that looks a good dynamic game.  :(
Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: DennisS on May 31, 2018, 03:00:44 PM
I think that this game is back on...does anyone know if this will be released on steam? I saw a couple of videos, and it looks fairly complete.
Title: Re: That Which Sleeps
Post by: Tpek on June 01, 2018, 06:09:34 AM
Quote from: DennisS on May 31, 2018, 03:00:44 PM
I think that this game is back on...does anyone know if this will be released on steam? I saw a couple of videos, and it looks fairly complete.

Probably never.
Josh Perry, the developer, seems to be in hiding for years now.
He never answers any questions, inquiries or anything else. Just once every several months, after a *lot* of rage on the KS comments page and
threats of lawsuits, pops up, posts a screenshot or two (or very rarely a video that shows nothing new) and goes back into hiding, without much explanation.
(He originally used the "a family member has died" excused about 3-5 times for why he hasn't worked on the game for years, but even he got tired of it eventually.)