GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Cyrano on November 01, 2014, 07:44:48 PM

Title: Great Battles Series Multiplayer
Post by: Cyrano on November 01, 2014, 07:44:48 PM
So, Nefaro reminded me to give my GOG copy of the GBS a whirl.

I forgot how absolutely wonderful the system and the game are.  Yeah, the "center on general" function doesn't work -- which is weird and a pain from time to time -- but this is easily the best ancients PC game available.  Nothing else comes close to making my groggy heart go pitter-pat the way this does.

That said, I can't for the life of me get the MP to work.  I start hosting a game, input the proper IP onto another machine on my LAN, and the latter has no luck finding the game.  The firewall is given permission to pass the data through, both games are up-to-date for what that's worth, and still nothing.

Anyone hereabouts have any thoughts or perhaps experience herewith?  If the MP is broken I will merely be sad and move on, but I want to be certain.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Title: Re: Great Battles Series Multiplayer
Post by: Asid on November 01, 2014, 07:53:11 PM
Hi

I have it. I will take a look in about 20 mins. I am on the Steel Beasts Teampseak... :)
Title: Re: Great Battles Series Multiplayer
Post by: panzerde on November 01, 2014, 08:12:16 PM
Installing it now. I didn't put it back on when I bought this computer last year, but you're right, it's a great deal of fun.


Having said that, I'm pretty partial to the HPS Ancient Wars games...

Title: Re: Great Battles Series Multiplayer
Post by: panzerde on November 01, 2014, 08:34:50 PM
I can't find any documentation on proper firewall settings for this. I suspect that's the problem. While Windows Firewall detects that the game is trying to communicate, it may not be opening all of the required ports. I certainly can't determine what port(s) I might need to forward on my actual firewall to allow Internet play.


If I get motivated I'll throw Wireshark on the gaming rig and sniff for the game traffic, but I haven't done that yet.

Title: Re: Great Battles Series Multiplayer
Post by: Asid on November 01, 2014, 08:36:13 PM
Quote from: panzerde on November 01, 2014, 08:12:16 PM
Installing it now. I didn't put it back on when I bought this computer last year, but you're right, it's a great deal of fun.


Having said that, I'm pretty partial to the HPS Ancient Wars games...

I also have the Ancient war series :)

Whos up for testing the MP connection? I have a game up now....
Title: Re: Great Battles Series Multiplayer
Post by: Asid on November 01, 2014, 08:42:33 PM
I have a Great Battles Hannibal scenario up. Let me know if you want to try and join
Title: Re: Great Battles Series Multiplayer
Post by: panzerde on November 01, 2014, 08:43:46 PM
What's the IP?

Title: Re: Great Battles Series Multiplayer
Post by: Asid on November 01, 2014, 08:52:00 PM
Quote from: panzerde on November 01, 2014, 08:43:46 PM
What's the IP?

Check your pm
Title: Re: Great Battles Series Multiplayer
Post by: panzerde on November 01, 2014, 08:55:44 PM
No joy. It can't find the game. I'm assuming you have some sort of firewall; what did you set up for port forwarding on it?
Title: Re: Great Battles Series Multiplayer
Post by: Asid on November 01, 2014, 08:56:56 PM
Quote from: panzerde on November 01, 2014, 08:55:44 PM
No joy. It can't find the game. I'm assuming you have some sort of firewall; what did you set up for port forwarding on it?

If you check my sig you can find me on Teamspeak. It will be easier to trouble shoot. I haven't changed anything in the router yet.

Regards
Title: Re: Great Battles Series Multiplayer
Post by: Cyrano on November 01, 2014, 09:28:10 PM
Damnation...missed all this...how's it going?


Jim
Title: Re: Great Battles Series Multiplayer
Post by: Asid on November 01, 2014, 09:34:14 PM
Well i'm on Teamspeak... pop in :)
Title: Re: Great Battles Series Multiplayer
Post by: Nefaro on November 02, 2014, 05:04:19 AM
I recall reading something about the multi-player not working with newer OSes quite awhile back.  May not be an option these days.  Wasn't it made for Win95 originally?


Speaking of the Great Battles series... still have yet to get Hoplite and Ran studied up for the table.   :-*