GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: JudgeDredd on November 02, 2014, 06:48:19 PM

Title: Best mods for Combat Mission
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 02, 2014, 06:48:19 PM
Does anyone know of any good mods for

Or the best place to get them? Is there a particular website you go to?

I'd really prefer a one install program if that's possible.

Thanks
Title: Re: Best mods for Combat Mission
Post by: WallysWorld on November 02, 2014, 08:01:48 PM
This website has a bunch of mods for CM:  http://cmmods.greenasjade.net/ (http://cmmods.greenasjade.net/). You have to register before downloading, but it's hassle free.

Title: Re: Best mods for Combat Mission
Post by: sandman2575 on November 02, 2014, 08:05:34 PM
All of Aris's skins and other gfx improvements on the greenasjade site are a must, in my book.
Title: Re: Best mods for Combat Mission
Post by: Con on November 02, 2014, 08:46:16 PM
Quote from: sandman2575 on November 02, 2014, 08:05:34 PM
All of Aris's skins and other gfx improvements on the greenasjade site are a must, in my book.
+1

also JuJu GUI is much better as well as Veins tracers

Con
Title: Re: Best mods for Combat Mission
Post by: panzerde on November 02, 2014, 09:46:09 PM
Agree on Aris skins an JuJu's UI. Some others I use:


CMRT:
Cat's Tactical Icons - http://cmmods.greenasjade.net/mods?author_id=383
Kieme's HD buildings and terrain
mjkerner's Helmet Mod
JuJu's Red Thunder foxholes & sandbags
Vein's Red Thunder Germans
Vein's Russians
Aris' Effects


All of the above have corresponding mods for CMFI and CMBN, for the most part, and I use those as well.


CMSF
Grab all of Kieme's CMSF in HD mods. They completely transform the game.
Mord's US AFV Radio Chatter
Mord's Vocal Mayhem Base
Mord's Mixed Combatants
Mord's Syrian Fighters
proeffects Tracer
Ryujin HD mod
AKD Sound Mod
Bils Icons
proeffects Smoke
Veins Effects


I have a few others that I mix and match depending on the force I'm playing as. Best source for the above is the Battlefront CMSF repository.



Title: Re: Best mods for Combat Mission
Post by: Yskonyn on November 03, 2014, 03:51:57 AM
All my ideas have been presented here already.

Especially JuJu's stuff is great, I find.

Aris' work I am not too fond of, though. I think it makes all the vehicles look similar in that same 'scrubbed metal' look. I just don't like it.
Not to drag his tremendous amount of work down. It's just a personal preference.  O0

As far as location, indeed CMMODS or the Repository at BFC's. In between those two sites you will definately be able to find all the mods available. Some are on the one but not the other site, though.
Title: Re: Best mods for Combat Mission
Post by: -budd- on February 19, 2016, 11:40:12 PM
Can anyone give me instructions on adding mods to red thunder. I downloaded the mods but all it says is unzip to Z folder. Made a Z folder in the data folder and unzipped there but nothing. Anyone using JSME with red thunder? I haven't been able to even locate the graphic files in the install directory or the folder in my documents, where are these files. Prefer to use JSME but I'll take any help i can get, the simpler the better.
Title: Re: Best mods for Combat Mission
Post by: Redirected on February 20, 2016, 12:32:09 AM
I've never run a mod.
Title: Re: Best mods for Combat Mission
Post by: IronX on February 20, 2016, 12:49:28 AM
Try looking in your Documents folder as some game files are located there.
Title: Re: Best mods for Combat Mission
Post by: panzerde on February 20, 2016, 11:45:00 AM
Bud - Check Documents > Battlefront > Combat Mission > Red Thunder > User Data > Mods

Put you mod files int here and they'll be used the next time you load the game.

In terms of mods, I tend to use a bunch with CMRT. Here's what I've found to be good:

If you haven't already discovered it GreenAsJade's site tends to be better for mods than the BF repository. It's at http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/

Now, how about a game?
Title: Re: Best mods for Combat Mission
Post by: JasonPratt on February 20, 2016, 12:14:03 PM
I'm reasonably sure I have all of the CMx2/3 WW2 games somewhere... apparently not on this computer, though. Probably the Surface, where I installed Italy first and then found out it doesn't run well on the Surface. (So I've probably blown that install, right?  :P )

Anyway, I'd be glad to run a game (and an AAR!) with one of them (except not Italy I guess, since I've wasted that install... sigh...)
Title: Re: Best mods for Combat Mission
Post by: IronX on February 20, 2016, 12:50:44 PM
Alas, yes. But IIRC you have four installs initially and then one per year afterwards so you may still be able to install it.
Title: Re: Best mods for Combat Mission
Post by: JasonPratt on February 20, 2016, 01:32:28 PM
Looking over my archived information, that may still be right. Phew.

My project this afternoon is to test that theory on the Presence, which I know will be able to run the games unlike the poor Surface (maxed though the Surface is.)
Title: Re: Best mods for Combat Mission
Post by: panzerde on February 20, 2016, 02:16:49 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on February 20, 2016, 01:32:28 PM
Looking over my archived information, that may still be right. Phew.

My project this afternoon is to test that theory on the Presence, which I know will be able to run the games unlike the poor Surface (maxed though the Surface is.)


I can run stuff like the Tiller games and Flashpoint Campaigns (i.e. chit shufflers) quite well on my Surface. The Intel graphics adapter just can't handle the 3D stuff, mostly I suspect due to it sharing video RAM with the system RAM.

Title: Re: Best mods for Combat Mission
Post by: -budd- on February 20, 2016, 02:17:20 PM
Quote from: panzerde on February 20, 2016, 11:45:00 AM
Bud - Check Documents > Battlefront > Combat Mission > Red Thunder > User Data > Mods

Put you mod files int here and they'll be used the next time you load the game.

In terms of mods, I tend to use a bunch with CMRT. Here's what I've found to be good:

       
  • Any and all of Aris' vehicle skin mods
  • Aris' CMRT Terrain Compilation
  • Aris Graphic FX Mod Compilation
  • Cat Tactical Icons CMRT (replaces default floating icons with country specific military symbols)
  • All of Juju's Red Thunder object mods (bridges, fences, etc.)
  • JorgeMC's Sound Mod
  • VM's German Wehrmacht uniform mod
  • VM's Soviet Army Summer Uniforms
  • VM's Soviet Helmets Boots and Gear

If you haven't already discovered it GreenAsJade's site tends to be better for mods than the BF repository. It's at http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/

Now, how about a game?

The instructions in the read me said put them in the Z folder in red thunder/Data/Z folder. Probably should of played a little more first, not sure there installed or not. Should i move them to Red thunder documents mod folder?You don't have anything in the Z folder ? For the life of me i cant find where the .bmp files are stored, there not in either one of those folders. Thought they might be hidden but i checked, no dice. I was going to set up JSME for mods but i need to know where they are, they have to be somewhere...right.

I have Aris terrain and effects mods downloaded and  the bridges and fences.Going to go look for the sound mod. I'm very familiar with the site, well the old one anyway, i got all my CM 1,2,3 mods there. If i add the snow mod will it be in effect all the time or only on the right time of year? It's been pretty easy to jump into since im familiar with the early games, did they take out the LOS tool?
Title: Re: Best mods for Combat Mission
Post by: panzerde on February 20, 2016, 02:34:13 PM
The Z folder approach will work; it's the way things used to be done and is still supported. It's easier to just use the Mods folder, though.

The snow mod will show snow whenever you have it enabled, I believe. The game doesn't actually understand the calendar, I don't think.

I poked around a bit but couldn't find the .bmp files myself. I've never had a cause to replace them or to use JSGME with CM, since the Mods and Z folders do essentially the same thing.


Title: Re: Best mods for Combat Mission
Post by: -budd- on February 20, 2016, 03:01:23 PM
Thanks, i got it figured out, i think. I gave up on the JSME thing, the mod folder is easy enough.
Title: Re: Best mods for Combat Mission
Post by: panzerde on February 20, 2016, 03:04:28 PM
Also, while there's no explicit LOS tool, just hit (T)arget and you can check LOS from any unit to any place.The color of the line indicates if you have LOS and where the terrain starts to block it. What you can't do is trace LOS from and arbitrary position on the map to something else. You have to actually be in a position to trace LOS from it.

Title: Re: Best mods for Combat Mission
Post by: Yskonyn on February 20, 2016, 04:29:25 PM
Quote from: panzerde on February 20, 2016, 03:04:28 PM
You have to actually be in a position to trace LOS from it.

That's not the case.
When plotting a route you can check LOS from each and every waypoint; select the white triangle or dot of the waypoint and use the Target command to check LOS.
Even though the line originates from the unit and not the waypoint, the check is calculated from the waypoint.
With ability to pick up and drag waypoints it is now much more easy to check LOS on different spots than it used to be.

LOS is not neccessarily LOF though. If the spotter and the shooter have different positions or heights you might be able to do the former but not the latter and vice versa. Keep that in mind.

Also, if a target line shows grey it means not all members in the selected unit have a LOF.
Title: Re: Best mods for Combat Mission
Post by: panzerde on February 20, 2016, 04:31:37 PM
Yes, you're completely correct about the waypoints and that LOS is not always LOF, I over-simplified.
O0
Title: Re: Best mods for Combat Mission
Post by: Yskonyn on February 20, 2016, 04:39:55 PM
As for mods:

Waclaw's HQS soundmod
JuJu's UI, Floating Icons and his texture work on walls, bridges and what not.
Vein's Special effects and Tracers.
Aris' Vehicles
Rambler's Weapon skins and trees and Bocage .
Vein's uniforms.
Tanks-a-Lot's buildings.

To name my favorites.