GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Cyrano on November 05, 2014, 12:25:39 PM

Title: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Cyrano on November 05, 2014, 12:25:39 PM
http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=335&Itemid=579

I need tell no one here:  Oh, heavens, YES.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 05, 2014, 01:22:19 PM
Any idea of actual release date?
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: RyanE on November 05, 2014, 01:24:31 PM
That's a pretty impressive list of equipment and formations.  I wonder how much the model work from CMSF contributed to this release.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Cyrano on November 05, 2014, 01:28:31 PM
The precise relationship between pre-order and release is the subject of no small amount of tea-leafery in CM circles.  I have no knowledge, but, if the history of it means anything, they'll certainly beat Christmas.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Elvis on November 05, 2014, 03:27:25 PM
Quote from: Cyrano on November 05, 2014, 01:28:31 PM
The precise relationship between pre-order and release is the subject of no small amount of tea-leafery in CM circles.  I have no knowledge, but, if the history of it means anything, they'll certainly beat Christmas.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)

Dorosh has a chart that showed the announcement date and release date for all CMx2 games(if he is watching this then maybe he can post it) . The bottom line the time from announcement to release has been 4 to 6 weeks. Leaning closer to the 6 weeks in most cases. Having played it, I don't see any reason to believe that it will be outside of that range.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 05, 2014, 03:41:15 PM
No T-80?

But yeah - impressive list. It'll be nice to run a battle against something other than archaic armour and insurgents. Not that they were a breeze...insurgents I mean...but the T-60's or whatever it was they had were pretty poor offerings for Leo2's

And no pre-order for download only? Strange. I thought that was an offer before. I never buy the physical because of shipping and possible customs charges
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Elvis on November 05, 2014, 03:52:56 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 05, 2014, 03:41:15 PM
No T-80?

But yeah - impressive list. It'll be nice to run a battle against something other than archaic armour and insurgents. Not that they were a breeze...insurgents I mean...but the T-60's or whatever it was they had were pretty poor offerings for Leo2's

And no pre-order for download only? Strange. I thought that was an offer before. I never buy the physical because of shipping and possible customs charges

The only reason to pre-order, if you don't want the disc and case, is to get a few hour jump on downloading when the game is released. So, there really isn't an advantage to pre-ordering if you're buying the download only.

And, no, pre-orders have always been download and disc.

(I just had a ticket asking the same question....was it you?)
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Yskonyn on November 05, 2014, 05:04:59 PM
Insta-buy!  :D
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 05, 2014, 05:16:53 PM
Quote from: Elvis on November 05, 2014, 03:52:56 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 05, 2014, 03:41:15 PM
No T-80?

But yeah - impressive list. It'll be nice to run a battle against something other than archaic armour and insurgents. Not that they were a breeze...insurgents I mean...but the T-60's or whatever it was they had were pretty poor offerings for Leo2's

And no pre-order for download only? Strange. I thought that was an offer before. I never buy the physical because of shipping and possible customs charges

The only reason to pre-order, if you don't want the disc and case, is to get a few hour jump on downloading when the game is released. So, there really isn't an advantage to pre-ordering if you're buying the download only.

And, no, pre-orders have always been download and disc.

(I just had a ticket asking the same question....was it you?)
No - not me.

I thought I had...but what do I know - I can't remember my name sometimes  :D
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Grim.Reaper on November 05, 2014, 05:49:04 PM
I'll buy, but I have no reason to pre-order since no need for physical media.....wish they would offer more for a pre-order such as a little discount off the download price or maybe early access (not just a couple of hours early).
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: panzerde on November 05, 2014, 08:24:45 PM
And there's another "yes, yes I must have this nao!" clawing it's way into my wallet.

Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: jomni on November 05, 2014, 08:33:41 PM
I appreciate that they mentioned future modules like CMSF. Hope they keep their promise and not release full titles instead.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Bletchley_Geek on November 05, 2014, 08:48:52 PM
Quote from: jomni on November 05, 2014, 08:33:41 PM
I appreciate that they mentioned future modules like CMSF. Hope they keep their promise and not release full titles instead.

Seeing the responses by Chris - the community manager guy who does the twitch livestreams on Saturdays afternoons PDT - they're as usual not committing to either timelines or specific stuff. I am quite positive about them actively developing the major next 'full title' for the Western Front covering Bulge. But I wouldn't be surprised that Bulge takes the back seat while they release modules for Red Thunder and possibly Black Sea (especially if the later sales do very well).

Anyways, as usual with questions regarding Battlefront.com actual schedule, the answer is "who knows" :)
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: MikeGER on November 06, 2014, 03:29:24 AM
Quote from: panzerde on November 05, 2014, 08:24:45 PM
And there's another "yes, yes I must have this nao!" clawing it's way into my wallet.
+1

... ill wonder if Russian soldiers now 70 years later in CM:BS found a way to enter all single story buildings since CM:RT 3.0 ;)

patch pending .... 7 month after release :'(
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 06, 2014, 04:02:18 AM
That's the second time I've seem RT mentioned with an issue to entering buildings.

Is there a problem with building entry in CM:RT? I haven't noticed anything
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Yskonyn on November 06, 2014, 04:43:43 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 06, 2014, 04:02:18 AM
That's the second time I've seem RT mentioned with an issue to entering buildings.

Is there a problem with building entry in CM:RT? I haven't noticed anything

Allegedly its only a problem with certain hardware configs.. how odd it may sound.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: RyanE on November 06, 2014, 06:15:04 AM
I happen to have the building issue.  It is not a deal breaker, but it makes certain maps and scenarios unplayable.  I would assume they would have it fixed before Black Sea's release.  Although I thought the same thing qith 3.0 and 3.1.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 06, 2014, 06:17:59 AM
Oh ok.

I've heard rumblings and in all honesty I haven't played it enough to say it doesn't exist...it may well be prevalent in scenarios I haven't played (most of them).

Just wanted to know what it was and was it an "entire audience" thing
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: MikeGER on November 06, 2014, 08:09:38 AM
JD ...i remember there was a forum thread overthere with a post which had a test-mission as appendices so people can tert if they are affected by the bug or not ...but i dont find it right now 
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Cyrano on November 06, 2014, 01:02:38 PM
I think it's a devil's brew of processor, vid card, and 3.0 that causes it.

And I think I have it...but not sure...had a couple fellows in the middle of the bloody road that simply wouldn't enter a single-story building even though Doug's tanks were bearing down on them like a bad habit.  Eventually hid them BEHIND the building...and they went...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Con on November 06, 2014, 07:16:46 PM
Quote from: Cyrano on November 06, 2014, 01:02:38 PM
I think it's a devil's brew of processor, vid card, and 3.0 that causes it.

And I think I have it...but not sure...had a couple fellows in the middle of the bloody road that simply wouldn't enter a single-story building even though Doug's tanks were bearing down on them like a bad habit.  Eventually hid them BEHIND the building...and they went...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
What a weird bug....probably very interesting in a academic way for programmers though

Con
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Bletchley_Geek on November 06, 2014, 07:43:37 PM
Quote from: Con on November 06, 2014, 07:16:46 PM
What a weird bug....probably very interesting in a academic way for programmers though

It is weird and interesting. They reported it was a most vexing interaction between the compiler they use to build the code and specific video drivers. My understanding is that it happens with AMD cards (there have been a number of weird bugs over the years regarding unit selection and pathfinding !!! across bridges specific to AMD cards).
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: panzerde on November 06, 2014, 08:13:23 PM
I have this bug too. It seems to almost always impact systems that are equipped with both Intel integrated graphics cards and an Nvidia card that the system switches to for graphically intensive stuff like gaming. Most commonly this is the configuration on gaming laptops.


In the case where it impacted Jim and he hid behind the buildings, it served to remind me why one does not advance tanks through an even mildly built up area without supporting infantry, no matter how much artillery prep you've done. I'm blaming BFC for the arse beating I took there, rather than my own tactical ineptitude.

Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Cyrano on November 06, 2014, 11:36:50 PM
My favorite part in that particular sequence was your T-34s chasing my AK-AK gun into the weeds as the latter desperately tried to punch through your front armor...

Post on BFC boards indicated 3.0 patch is imminent...thread over there on the topic well worth reading to see just how hard a seemingly minor bug can be to find, much less address, especially given the range of OSs, CPUs, MBs, &c., each of us has on our desktops.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
8/7)
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Con on November 07, 2014, 09:56:54 AM
Well I have pre-ordered...how could I not

Must start up a PBEM game again those are the most fun.  PM me here if anyone wants to take up the gauntlet and I would also be willing to commit to a PBEM game using a scenario right out of Black Sea on the day it comes out.  That would be fun playing it being literally in the dark on the lethality of the units.

Con
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Elvis on November 07, 2014, 10:04:59 AM
Quote from: Con on November 06, 2014, 07:16:46 PM

What a weird bug....probably very interesting in a academic way for programmers though

Con

It may have been. But in practical terms....let's just say, if Phil wasn't bald before, he is now. :)
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Yskonyn on November 07, 2014, 01:32:23 PM
Quote from: Con on November 07, 2014, 09:56:54 AM
Well I have pre-ordered...how could I not

Must start up a PBEM game again those are the most fun.  PM me here if anyone wants to take up the gauntlet and I would also be willing to commit to a PBEM game using a scenario right out of Black Sea on the day it comes out.  That would be fun playing it being literally in the dark on the lethality of the units.

Con

Hi Con, I would be game for something. What are you thinking about?
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Grim.Reaper on November 08, 2014, 06:36:01 PM
Some live streamed footage of the game today....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA-dVJC3eyg&list=UUBpTlmn6rxJr6rZ0oabOV1Q
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Grim.Reaper on November 22, 2014, 09:52:16 PM
Looks like they are starting up their traditional pre release battle between two players...

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=117845&page=7
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Zonso on November 23, 2014, 10:56:36 AM
And here is the start of the AAR from the opposing side: http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=117868 (http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=117868) It appears Bil will have an opponent of equal or greater caliber for this match. (Wonder what the critics of previous AARs will have to complain about now?  :2funny:)

Always great to read AARs from other players.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Grim.Reaper on November 23, 2014, 12:20:33 PM
I really don't care how good the players are or what they actually do in the game, I just like getting a sneak peak of what's coming:)  With that said, the people they choose always seem to do a nice job in also telling a story and providing some info on tactics which I always appreciate.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 23, 2014, 12:54:48 PM
I can't watch ANY videos from any wargamer. They're too twitchy...mouse and view goes everywhere...looks like they're having a fit.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 23, 2014, 10:54:23 PM
Some of the posts in the battlefront AAR thread are shocking. Giving the poster a hard time about creatively writing the AAR with a story and background? Other people stating that they like it, but have never read an AAR like that before? Where are these people from?
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Tinkershuffle on November 24, 2014, 12:27:25 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 23, 2014, 10:54:23 PM
Some of the posts in the battlefront AAR thread are shocking. Giving the poster a hard time about creatively writing the AAR with a story and background? Other people stating that they like it, but have never read an AAR like that before? Where are these people from?

Well, if I've understood correctly a lot of those forum regulars don't play any other game than CM..
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Elvis on November 24, 2014, 08:25:33 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 23, 2014, 10:54:23 PM
Some of the posts in the battlefront AAR thread are shocking. Giving the poster a hard time about creatively writing the AAR with a story and background? Other people stating that they like it, but have never read an AAR like that before? Where are these people from?

Did you see what the guy complaining about the back story said about the CMRT beta AAR?  Now, that hurt.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 24, 2014, 09:50:53 AM
Quote from: Elvis on November 24, 2014, 08:25:33 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 23, 2014, 10:54:23 PM
Some of the posts in the battlefront AAR thread are shocking. Giving the poster a hard time about creatively writing the AAR with a story and background? Other people stating that they like it, but have never read an AAR like that before? Where are these people from?

Did you see what the guy complaining about the back story said about the CMRT beta AAR?  Now, that hurt.

Nope. I must have missed it, but nothing would surprise me.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: fabius on November 24, 2014, 01:18:11 PM
Quote from: Elvis on November 24, 2014, 08:25:33 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 23, 2014, 10:54:23 PM
Some of the posts in the battlefront AAR thread are shocking. Giving the poster a hard time about creatively writing the AAR with a story and background? Other people stating that they like it, but have never read an AAR like that before? Where are these people from?

Did you see what the guy complaining about the back story said about the CMRT beta AAR?  Now, that hurt.

yes! Quite bizzare and ungrateful. But he had plenty chime in to say how enjoyable it is to read.

Black Sea is on my "Must Have" list and will hopefully reignite steamy passionate liaisons with CM.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Michael Dorosh on November 24, 2014, 07:43:37 PM
Quote from: Zonso on November 23, 2014, 10:56:36 AM
And here is the start of the AAR from the opposing side: http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=117868 (http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=117868) It appears Bil will have an opponent of equal or greater caliber for this match. (Wonder what the critics of previous AARs will have to complain about now?)

Your continued presence on the internet as a perpetual irritant. As has been stated before, we get it. You like the game. To the point of being blind to anything resembling less than perfection in it, its marketing, or its development. Your attendant lack of credibility in any discussion surrounding the game has therefore been noted.

You won't need to worry about any discussion from my perspective on this, however - nor I suspect a number of other fans. The subject matter has me cold and though I won't say "never" - particularly if we enter a dry spell for 2 or 3 years - I'm really not interested in this title due to the subject matter. Modern topics with 1 shot, 1 kill lethality, see-in-the-dark capability, extreme range etc. does nothing for me, and I'm not convinced CM really models all the capabilities of modern equipment (and training) all that well to begin with. If other like it, more power to them. I'll wait for the Ardennes/late war ETO and some of the earlier BARBAROSSA era to come along - hopefully bringing Black Sea engine refinements (i.e. amphibious vehicles) with them. If that means LVTs and the Rhine Crossing, I'll look forward to that, but if it means we are years off, I may yet dip toes into Black Sea.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: jomni on November 24, 2014, 08:00:30 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 23, 2014, 12:54:48 PM
I can't watch ANY videos from any wargamer. They're too twitchy...mouse and view goes everywhere...looks like they're having a fit.

+1  they think it's FPS just because it is 3d
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 24, 2014, 08:19:52 PM
Quote from: Michael Dorosh on November 24, 2014, 07:43:37 PM
Quote from: Zonso on November 23, 2014, 10:56:36 AM
And here is the start of the AAR from the opposing side: http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=117868 (http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=117868) It appears Bil will have an opponent of equal or greater caliber for this match. (Wonder what the critics of previous AARs will have to complain about now?)

Your continued presence on the internet as a perpetual irritant. As has been stated before, we get it. You like the game. To the point of being blind to anything resembling less than perfection in it, its marketing, or its development. Your attendant lack of credibility in any discussion surrounding the game has therefore been noted.

You won't need to worry about any discussion from my perspective on this, however - nor I suspect a number of other fans. The subject matter has me cold and though I won't say "never" - particularly if we enter a dry spell for 2 or 3 years - I'm really not interested in this title due to the subject matter. Modern topics with 1 shot, 1 kill lethality, see-in-the-dark capability, extreme range etc. does nothing for me, and I'm not convinced CM really models all the capabilities of modern equipment (and training) all that well to begin with. If other like it, more power to them. I'll wait for the Ardennes/late war ETO and some of the earlier BARBAROSSA era to come along - hopefully bringing Black Sea engine refinements (i.e. amphibious vehicles) with them. If that means LVTs and the Rhine Crossing, I'll look forward to that, but if it means we are years off, I may yet dip toes into Black Sea.

...and your completely unprovoked personal attack is an irritant to me.  If the subject matter of this game leaves you "cold" and uninterested then my advice to you is to just keep your mouth shut. This is your one and only warning.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Cyrano on November 24, 2014, 08:38:17 PM
JD's dead right about one thing:  playing a game like Black Sea with FRAPS running in the background does not make for a good video...

OTOH, anybody that takes the time to gimme a little AAR love is OK with me.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)

*last seen trying to slip out of the room with JH's re-loads such as he don't notice*
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 25, 2014, 01:16:38 AM
Quote from: Michael Dorosh on November 24, 2014, 07:43:37 PM
Quote from: Zonso on November 23, 2014, 10:56:36 AM
And here is the start of the AAR from the opposing side: http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=117868 (http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=117868) It appears Bil will have an opponent of equal or greater caliber for this match. (Wonder what the critics of previous AARs will have to complain about now?)

Your continued presence on the internet as a perpetual irritant. As has been stated before, we get it. You like the game. To the point of being blind to anything resembling less than perfection in it, its marketing, or its development. Your attendant lack of credibility in any discussion surrounding the game has therefore been noted.

You won't need to worry about any discussion from my perspective on this, however - nor I suspect a number of other fans. The subject matter has me cold and though I won't say "never" - particularly if we enter a dry spell for 2 or 3 years - I'm really not interested in this title due to the subject matter. Modern topics with 1 shot, 1 kill lethality, see-in-the-dark capability, extreme range etc. does nothing for me, and I'm not convinced CM really models all the capabilities of modern equipment (and training) all that well to begin with. If other like it, more power to them. I'll wait for the Ardennes/late war ETO and some of the earlier BARBAROSSA era to come along - hopefully bringing Black Sea engine refinements (i.e. amphibious vehicles) with them. If that means LVTs and the Rhine Crossing, I'll look forward to that, but if it means we are years off, I may yet dip toes into Black Sea.
Harsh

How did his post ever even warrant that?  :knuppel2:
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 25, 2014, 01:21:33 AM
Quote from: Cyrano on November 24, 2014, 08:38:17 PM
JD's dead right about one thing:  playing a game like Black Sea with FRAPS running in the background does not make for a good video...

OTOH, anybody that takes the time to gimme a little AAR love is OK with me.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)

*last seen trying to slip out of the room with JH's re-loads such as he don't notice*
They definitely do the community a service...I just can't watch them. I just wish they'd control their mouse usage somewhat.

The constant rotating, vertical, scrolling and zooming in and out really affects me. It doesn't give me headaches or anything...it doesn't make me feel unwell, I just can't watch it...it affects me in a way I just can't explain.  :(

I wish I could watch them...they could be very informative to a rubbish player like myself.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: jomni on November 25, 2014, 02:24:53 AM
Yes you are concentrating on looking at the map or a single model. Then  suddenly the guy zooms or rotates for no reason at all. Trying hard to make it cinematic.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: RyanE on November 25, 2014, 06:33:58 AM
I think part of the issue is they think they have to show everything.  I am sure they don't play that way.  I would find it much more watchable if they just recorded the way they play.  If they just want to show stuff off, they should just do cut scenes.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Elvis on November 25, 2014, 07:15:45 AM
My problem when watching a video is I always want to play. Not in a "I love and need this game" way but a "I want to swing the camera in that direction."
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Staggerwing on November 25, 2014, 07:34:19 AM
Quote from: Elvis on November 25, 2014, 07:15:45 AM
My problem when watching a video is I always want to play. Not in a "I love and need this game" way but a "I want to swing the camera in that direction."

+1
I can't stop myself from moving the mouse while watching and feel like a knucklehead when I catch myself doing it, much like the urge to touch my laptop screen right after having spent a long time on my iPad.  :-[
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Tinkershuffle on November 25, 2014, 10:37:18 AM
Nowadays for some reason I often find watching gameplay videos much more relaxing and entertaining than actually playing the game. CM video AARs are a good example of that.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Grim.Reaper on December 18, 2014, 10:03:23 PM
Looks like no pre Xmas release....mid January is current release target.

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/117138-update-on-black-sea-release/
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on December 18, 2014, 10:08:35 PM
Quote from: Tinkershuffle on November 25, 2014, 10:37:18 AM
Nowadays for some reason I often find watching gameplay videos much more relaxing and entertaining than actually playing the game. CM video AARs are a good example of that.

Same with me.

Specifically multiplayer games
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: RyanE on December 19, 2014, 11:16:36 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 18, 2014, 10:03:23 PM
Looks like no pre Xmas release....mid January is current release target.

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/117138-update-on-black-sea-release/

Something has changed at BFC...in previous games they would never have announced that.  Good to see communications is improving a little on releases.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Grim.Reaper on December 19, 2014, 11:58:46 AM
Quote from: RyanE on December 19, 2014, 11:16:36 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 18, 2014, 10:03:23 PM
Looks like no pre Xmas release....mid January is current release target.

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/117138-update-on-black-sea-release/

Something has changed at BFC...in previous games they would never have announced that.  Good to see communications is improving a little on releases.

I think part of the reason is the fact they usually meet their own deadlines of 6-8 weeks after pre-order goes up, which would have meant before the end of the year.  So people were kind of expecting that time frame based on past history......this was the primary purchase I was looking to make this month so I guess it saves me a few dollars until next year:)
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 04, 2015, 02:56:50 PM
Anyone who has bought the physical game before - what's the manual like? Is it just a wee 50 page thing, or is it a nice big manual?

I'm suspecting it's on the small side and therefore not worth me buying the physical version...especially given the postage costs from BF to the UK
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 04, 2015, 03:02:08 PM
Every time I see a new post in this thread I think it's going to be a release notice.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 04, 2015, 03:02:30 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 04, 2015, 03:02:08 PM
Every time I see a new post in this thread I think it's going to be a release notice.
Sorry  ;D
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Con on January 04, 2015, 03:06:39 PM
Well to be honest the manual should not influence the decision to buy a physical copy.  I dont even read the physical manual for battlefront games.

For me the reason to buy Battlefront games as a physical are as follows
1. I almost always preorder so it is an incremental cost (typically around $10) to go physical
2. There is something psychological about owning something I can touch.  Its irrational but somehow if I own a game that is download only I dont seem to trust that it will be available for ever.
3. The manual is exactly the same as what you get as the pdf and I now put all my game PDFs on an iPad so I can reference them when playing or if really desperate read them while at work/travelling (I am looking at you CMANO)
4. I like the case (especially the CMBN original tin case) it goes well with my little military shrine of books, games, figures etc.

Con
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Yskonyn on January 04, 2015, 07:56:53 PM

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 04, 2015, 03:02:08 PM
Every time I see a new post in this thread I think it's going to be a release notice.

+1 ! Lol!


.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: RyanE on January 05, 2015, 10:27:12 AM
The manual is up.  I imagine it won't be long now...

http://community.battlefront.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=2921

For now, you have to be logged into the BFC forum to get it.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Yskonyn on January 05, 2015, 12:08:28 PM
Cool. That usually means release is imminent! Yay! First game of 2015!


.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 05, 2015, 06:33:28 PM
Release this already!
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 05, 2015, 06:36:14 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 05, 2015, 06:33:28 PM
Release this already!

+1....really was disappointed when it didn't come out in time for xmas when I had time off to play:(
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 07, 2015, 01:58:38 AM
I wonder how much postage is to the UK? I'm pretty sure it was expensive - hence why I always buy DD...but I wouldn't mind spunking the extra £10 on the physical if the postage was reasonable

nm - I went through the purchase process and it's $27 - half the price of the game. Too much for the physical copy.

I'll wait patiently
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 13, 2015, 08:50:48 PM
According to a post by the dev, they are in final stages of prep and confident it will be released before end of January.  I had hope more for mid January but looking like end of January now.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: MikeGER on January 15, 2015, 05:45:06 AM
...in the meantime watching ChrisND's outstanding playthrough streams (i watch on YT later ) can be very entertaining O0 

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi58.tinypic.com%2F27www1y.png&hash=33f464ed3884484da46e30e514733818f4a15ba3)
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Con on January 17, 2015, 09:00:14 PM
I am travelling for work from Sunday to Friday so I am 100% certain that the download for CM Black Sea will open up on Monday morning!  Its a given (and with my luck Command Ops 2 will drop at the same time)

Con
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 17, 2015, 09:27:52 PM
Quote from: Con on January 17, 2015, 09:00:14 PM
I am travelling for work from Sunday to Friday so I am 100% certain that the download for CM Black Sea will open up on Monday morning!  Its a given (and with my luck Command Ops 2 will drop at the same time)

Con

I am with you...these are the two titles I am looking to pick up and likely will be close together.  Thought I saw over at the CO2 board the developer was going to release to internal testers this week and if everything went well, the beta version would be available for purchase sometime the following week.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 17, 2015, 10:05:02 PM
I would have loved to have seen this get released on Friday. Monday is a holiday in the states and although the office is closed it's one of those holidays where lawyers usually end up working from home. A release would have been the perfect excuse to not work and play!
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 18, 2015, 06:26:29 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 17, 2015, 10:05:02 PM
I would have loved to have seen this get released on Friday. Monday is a holiday in the states and although the office is closed it's one of those holidays where attorney yes usually end up working from home. A release would have been the perfect excuse to not work and play!

Me too, I have Monday off as well....would have loved the extra day of playing the game....never seems game releases (at least the ones I want) ever lineup with holiday weekends for some reason.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 19, 2015, 12:40:38 PM
Still not available  :'(
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 19, 2015, 12:44:44 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 19, 2015, 12:40:38 PM
Still not available  :'(

Nope, I keep checking too:)  In one of the posts it mentioned they would tell us the day the release candidate of the code was created and likely would be around a week after that when available....so thinking likely won't be ready until the last week of January since no announcement yet...although I would be glad to be wrong:)
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 24, 2015, 10:19:40 AM
In a recent post, they are now saying they are "aiming" to still have the game out before February and should be finishing the release candidate soon.  Looks like we are still getting closer but I am not as confident they will release by end of month.

I guess originally thinking they could release the game to us before Christmas was a wee bit unrealistic:)
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 24, 2015, 10:37:09 AM
I don't think they are planning on doing a full week of testing for the final release candidate. Once news hits that there is a Final Release build, I think it will only be another day or two. Chris has already said that the final release build will be ready any day now.

A week ago I was really impatient, but I'm over it now. It'll be here when it is ready. In the meantime, I have so much other crap that I could play to keep me busy.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 24, 2015, 10:49:31 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 24, 2015, 10:37:09 AM
I don't think they are planning on doing a full week of testing for the final release candidate. Once news hits that there is a Final Release build, I think it will only be another day or two. Chris has already said that the final release build will be ready any day now.

A week ago I was really impatient, but I'm over it now. It'll be here when it is ready. In the meantime, I have so much other crap that I could play to keep me busy.

Don't know, I guess we'll see...but like you, not the end of the world for me, other stuff to do....just anxious to see how it ends up.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 24, 2015, 06:05:50 PM
^Amen!
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: fabius on January 27, 2015, 03:10:43 PM
It is at release candidate http://community.battlefront.com/topic/117692-an-update-on-the-update/

So near now  8)
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 27, 2015, 06:11:42 PM
Excellent news....
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Toonces on January 27, 2015, 08:47:27 PM
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg3.wikia.nocookie.net%2F__cb20140807230530%2Fdisney-infinity%2Fimages%2F9%2F94%2FShut_up_and_take_my_money.jpg&hash=10cc441d4b8ec42c06629e2ce416db2cfc9428d7)
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Toonces on January 27, 2015, 10:03:06 PM
I'm such a loser, I didn't realize this was a modern NATO/Russia version of CM.  I am totally stoked to play this!   :smitten:
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: MikeGER on January 28, 2015, 02:51:49 AM
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FypxMd.gif&hash=3322c1c46eb8e06836d82fe0413aec0f6c99ef95)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.somethingawful.com%2Fforumsystem%2Femoticons%2Femot-f5.gif&hash=be0609aa80c1a6ab4bda7ce77bbc46a4398cedd5) :D :smitten:

(for those, who stayed away from CM since Shockforce while they didn't liked the WW II setting or some austerities of the older engine then ...check out all the tutorial vids by Chris ND over at YT:   https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDEdar8MbcHCi2uJm4DthHYBEDUCuKzRf )
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Toonces on January 28, 2015, 03:03:05 AM
^ LOL.  Indeed!   :D
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Zonso on January 28, 2015, 08:13:35 AM
Yes, though I have a couple games barely touched - WitW!! to name one, this is a instant buy for me also. With the influx of new posters on the BFC forums, this has the potential to be a huge hit for them, and I think they are taking the extra steps to ensure a complete product out the door, hence the delays.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: jomni on January 28, 2015, 08:45:40 PM
Quote from: MikeGER on January 28, 2015, 02:51:49 AM
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FypxMd.gif&hash=3322c1c46eb8e06836d82fe0413aec0f6c99ef95)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.somethingawful.com%2Fforumsystem%2Femoticons%2Femot-f5.gif&hash=be0609aa80c1a6ab4bda7ce77bbc46a4398cedd5) :D :smitten:

(for those, who stayed away from CM since Shockforce while they didn't liked the WW II setting or some austerities of the older engine then ...check out all the tutorial vids by Chris ND over at YT:   https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDEdar8MbcHCi2uJm4DthHYBEDUCuKzRf )

That's me
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 28, 2015, 09:44:21 PM
My bet is that it is out before the weekend.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 29, 2015, 02:14:32 AM
Today or tomorrow would be good...I'm primed to break my New Years resolution.  :)

I knew it was never going to happen because I knew I would get this
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Yskonyn on January 29, 2015, 05:47:55 AM
I think late today might happen. If not then I would assume its tomorrow for sure.
They are testing the installer, after found ok it will be released.


.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 29, 2015, 05:56:27 AM
Woohoo...and me off tomorrow!  O0
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: mikeck on January 29, 2015, 12:36:03 PM
Dammit!!!! I just sat down to learn war in the west. Sumbitch
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: RyanE on January 29, 2015, 12:44:47 PM
I have never preordered anything before.  But I did this one just to get the download a little early. I feel dirty.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 29, 2015, 01:00:11 PM
I would pre-order - but I'm too tight to pay half the cost of the game on shipping!
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Con on January 29, 2015, 02:22:42 PM
Quote from: RyanE on January 29, 2015, 12:44:47 PM
I have never preordered anything before.  But I did this one just to get the download a little early. I feel dirty.

Have some Black Sea Soap...guaranteed to rub out any battlefront educed funkiness

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fscene7.targetimg1.com%2Fis%2Fimage%2FTarget%2F15266139%3Fwid%3D480%26amp%3Bhei%3D480&hash=df7a9d26e3e2e1c1fe1ea053aeab2c637e683364)
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Cyrano on January 29, 2015, 02:35:34 PM
So who wants to play potentially unbalanced PBEM scenarios about which we will know nothing at all using technology that will have an undetermined level of performance in a 3D space as soon as this is released??!!

I know I do!!

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 29, 2015, 02:58:49 PM
People need to stop bloody posting in here!
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: mikeck on January 29, 2015, 02:59:17 PM
As long as I get to read 300 different threads about how this tank is underpowered or this missle should be able to pentrate that tank
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: panzerde on January 29, 2015, 04:11:45 PM
Just a quick post to note that this still hasn't been release, just because I enjoy winding up the Scot.


;D
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 29, 2015, 04:21:00 PM
 :knuppel2:
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 29, 2015, 04:27:19 PM
Its retarded at this point. How many days does it take to test an installer?
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 29, 2015, 04:29:33 PM
oh...I know...I know....too freakin many!  :P
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Cyrano on January 29, 2015, 05:19:35 PM
I definitely want lots of uninformed opinions about how this is the most inaccurate depiction of warfare that hasn't happened ever...ever...

Also, many comments decrying the lack of that one weapon system from that one time ten years ago that this one country thought should be deployed if only it had the money but didn't...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 29, 2015, 05:27:36 PM
Quote from: Cyrano on January 29, 2015, 05:19:35 PM
I definitely want lots of uninformed opinions about how this is the most inaccurate depiction of warfare that hasn't happened ever...ever...

Also, many comments decrying the lack of that one weapon system from that one time ten years ago that this one country thought should be deployed if only it had the money but didn't...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)

Personally, I don't care how authentic it actually is so long as it is close enough to be credible. For me, this game is all about the advanced military hardware p0rn.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Con on January 29, 2015, 05:31:58 PM
Here is a video showing if the M1 Abrahms is the best all round tank for everything (stealing this from the CM Black Sea forums)

Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 29, 2015, 05:56:14 PM
Well, at least the developer hasn't posted yet that it won't be released today....recently seems they have been posting updates when a day has been ruled out....so maybe still some hope for tonight:)
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: MikeGER on January 29, 2015, 06:38:40 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 29, 2015, 04:27:19 PM
Its retarded at this point. How many days does it take to test an installer?

...if its Matrix it can take a whole work week and 2days strictly off somewhere in the middle to sum up to a full blown week  ;)
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Great Ajax on January 29, 2015, 06:47:41 PM
I am ready for some PBEM action! 


Trey
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: smittyohio on January 29, 2015, 07:44:29 PM
That video was funny.. but oh so sad when they said "a WWII M1 Abrahms tank...."
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: sandman2575 on January 29, 2015, 11:59:35 PM
Quote from: smittyohio on January 29, 2015, 07:44:29 PM
but oh so sad when they said "a WWII M1 Abrahms tank...."

!!!
:idiot2:
That's a fairly absurd gaffe...  (Although I guess we all have our moments...)
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 30, 2015, 08:41:30 AM
It's now officially a piss take!  :2funny:
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: mikeck on January 30, 2015, 11:26:55 AM
Ok, I'm a little behind on my battlefront forum reading, but is there a particular reason I should be expecting this game to be released today or soon? I saw something's mentioned in this thread but cant find anything on the Battlefront forum
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Cyrano on January 30, 2015, 11:31:44 AM
They announced a few days ago that they were at final candidate which, typically, has meant "a few more days".

We are in said window...although the definition of "few" has proven elastic.

Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Great Ajax on January 30, 2015, 11:42:08 AM
Dudes!  I'm downloading!  Check your email links.

Trey
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: RyanE on January 30, 2015, 11:42:31 AM
I am preorder and downloading it now
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 30, 2015, 12:04:54 PM
ah

Pre-order.  :'(
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Cyrano on January 30, 2015, 12:13:42 PM
AAAAAAGH trapped at work!!

AAAAAAGH!!

OK, not the adult response I was hoping for, but there it is...

Who's up for a game tonight?

WOOT!

Jim
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: endfire79 on January 30, 2015, 01:18:59 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 29, 2015, 05:27:36 PM
Quote from: Cyrano on January 29, 2015, 05:19:35 PM
I definitely want lots of uninformed opinions about how this is the most inaccurate depiction of warfare that hasn't happened ever...ever...

Also, many comments decrying the lack of that one weapon system from that one time ten years ago that this one country thought should be deployed if only it had the money but didn't...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)

Personally, I don't care how authentic it actually is so long as it is close enough to be credible. For me, this game is all about the advanced military hardware p0rn.

I haven't been on any CM games in a long time, I think  I'm not getting the jokes.  Seriously what happened with Battlefront? 

This latest addition looks nice though, perfect timing with what's going on over in that part of the world :)
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Cyrano on January 30, 2015, 01:57:44 PM
*DISCLAIMER: I am an immense fan of the CM family of products.*

Battlefront is playing in the deep end of the PC gaming pool in terms of verisimilitude and even, in a measure, simulation.  Over the many years of the various CM engines' existences (dating back to CM:BO) there have been many mighty debates about whether this should kill that, whether this had that armament, whether this particular piece of kit was under- or over-priced for cherry-pick battles, &c.  Some of these debates have been very productive and even brought changes in patches and even whole engines -- "borg" spotting and how to best be rid of it is one I remember well but there have been lots of others.

Others have devolved into tedious "'tis" versus "t'aint" messes that served little purpose other than to aggravate.    It's just an impression, mind, but I think the modern games have had the worst of this as a) there are a lot of people into computers right now who actually designed, jockeyed, read about, fought against these systems and b) and, this is particularly the case for CM:BS, there are people on both sides of the real life political conflagration -- some of whom are proud nationalists -- that haven't taken the discourse into edifying directions.

That, with a healthy dose of know-it-all-ism born of the internet can be a toxic brew.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)

Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: endfire79 on January 30, 2015, 02:07:05 PM
Hmm sounds like a hoot!   ;)

I really like CM:BB back in the day, but didn't have time to get back into the franchise in the years later.  I might just give this a try soon (that is a few weeks after junior comes out).  The contemporary setting/backdrop is drawing me in.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 30, 2015, 02:08:02 PM
I love the games for what they are. I don't rivet count or over analyse

I wish they would fix the "can't spot troops in the second floor of a building that are shooting at you because you can't see the ground floor" though. You just get murdered.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: RyanE on January 30, 2015, 02:09:08 PM
On the download...it is horrendous.  I am getting spikes of 1Mb/sec, but the majority of time it is sub-300kb.  I was at 90% when it suddenly went to 0 and never recovered.  I have tried 6-7 times now and it is slow as crap.  I just did a connection test by downloading a Matrix game and it zipped right through.  Not sure what kind of servers BFC is using, but they suck.  I would like to think they know how many people have preordered and would have the resources to handle it.

Just tried again on another network hardwired and I am averaging 180kb/sec.  Maybe they need to torrent it.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: endfire79 on January 30, 2015, 02:10:59 PM
Do they offer the option to torrent their download?
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 30, 2015, 02:18:24 PM
They used to iirc
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: RyanE on January 30, 2015, 02:26:28 PM
Well its holding at above 1 meg on the latest try.  I think someone somewhere threw a switch.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Great Ajax on January 30, 2015, 03:00:02 PM
My download went pretty smooth.  Stayed steady around 1.5 MB/Sec.   No issues.

Trey

Quote from: RyanE on January 30, 2015, 02:09:08 PM
On the download...it is horrendous.  I am getting spikes of 1Mb/sec, but the majority of time it is sub-300kb.  I was at 90% when it suddenly went to 0 and never recovered.  I have tried 6-7 times now and it is slow as crap.  I just did a connection test by downloading a Matrix game and it zipped right through.  Not sure what kind of servers BFC is using, but they suck.  I would like to think they know how many people have preordered and would have the resources to handle it.

Just tried again on another network hardwired and I am averaging 180kb/sec.  Maybe they need to torrent it.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Con on January 30, 2015, 03:10:58 PM
I am jumping between 25 minutes left for the last 2GB and 3 days!!!  Hope those are the spikes you are seeing

Con
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: RyanE on January 30, 2015, 03:35:43 PM
What is frustrating is I bought the preorder and they obviously didn't have the server capacity set up for the preorder downloads.  As soon as the regular downloads went up, I got faster speeds.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: panzerde on January 30, 2015, 04:52:28 PM
Pretty much dragging along, here. About 400kbps.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: RyanE on January 30, 2015, 04:56:47 PM
I am now down to 25kb/s...this will be the last time I preorder...what a waste.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 30, 2015, 04:58:23 PM
I'm getting a steady but not superfantastic 550KBs

Look - why don't you lot stop downloading just now. The speed will pick up later.  >:D
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 30, 2015, 04:59:47 PM
How big is the download?
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 30, 2015, 05:00:47 PM
5GB
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: panzerde on January 30, 2015, 05:28:18 PM
If anyone from Battlefront would like to learn about using AWS as a content distribution network that scales with demand, please call me. :-)
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: PAK on January 30, 2015, 05:36:44 PM
Guys, pleasee, just wait for cmbs in bargain with future modules - You will get two for one: better price with better transfer speed  ;D
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Elvis on January 30, 2015, 05:43:42 PM
Quote from: panzerde on January 30, 2015, 05:28:18 PM
If anyone from Battlefront would like to learn about using AWS as a content distribution network that scales with demand, please call me. :-)

That is exactly what we use. And, as I understand the system, the bolded bit is what is happening now. Chris just posted this:

"Just checked in with the superiors about the slow speeds. Apparently the master download image (the file that you download) is still propagating around the cloud, so many of the download servers are not active yet. So speeds should get better through the day as more servers come online."



Quote from: RyanE on January 30, 2015, 04:56:47 PM
I am now down to 25kb/s...this will be the last time I preorder...what a waste.

I imagine that this isn't what The Company would like for me to say but......The only reason that I, personally, would pre-order is if I wanted both the physical disc and the download version. The lead time for downloading isn't enough to make the driving force for pre-ordering for me. In the few hours advance notice isn't enough to make it worth it. By the time pre-order people see the email and get free to download it the general public is already downloading for most people.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: RyanE on January 30, 2015, 05:47:04 PM
Well the real reason I pro=ordered was to get a download before the servers got hammered.  BFC obviously misjudged preorders somehow.  The network failure errors and average of about 200kb/s.  I hope they learn a little from this and are better prepared to take my money.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Asid on January 30, 2015, 05:53:09 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 30, 2015, 04:58:23 PM
I'm getting a steady but not superfantastic 550KBs

Look - why don't you lot stop downloading just now. The speed will pick up later.  >:D

How much did it cost all in?

I bet the P+P is :o   What if Customs grabs it??  :knuppel2:
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 30, 2015, 05:55:32 PM
Quote from: Asid on January 30, 2015, 05:53:09 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 30, 2015, 04:58:23 PM
I'm getting a steady but not superfantastic 550KBs

Look - why don't you lot stop downloading just now. The speed will pick up later.  >:D

How much did it cost all in?

I bet the P+P is :o   What if Customs grabs it??  :knuppel2:
I didn't pre-order pal. I won't pay half the price of a game in postage. The game was $55 and the postage was $27!!

I've just joined the plebs in downloading.

You're a nightmare...everytime I see you on these forums I think "I must get back to Steel Beasts"!!!  :P
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Yskonyn on January 30, 2015, 05:59:13 PM
I am stuck at a hotel. Have fun guys! I hope the servers wont melt down in the mean time. :)


.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Asid on January 30, 2015, 06:37:08 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 30, 2015, 05:55:32 PM

You're a nightmare...everytime I see you on these forums I think "I must get back to Steel Beasts"!!!  :P

Theres always a beast for you in the Dogs of War :)

Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: panzerde on January 30, 2015, 06:42:29 PM
Quote from: Elvis on January 30, 2015, 05:43:42 PM
Quote from: panzerde on January 30, 2015, 05:28:18 PM
If anyone from Battlefront would like to learn about using AWS as a content distribution network that scales with demand, please call me. :-)

That is exactly what we use. And, as I understand the system, the bolded bit is what is happening now. Chris just posted this:

"Just checked in with the superiors about the slow speeds. Apparently the master download image (the file that you download) is still propagating around the cloud, so many of the download servers are not active yet. So speeds should get better through the day as more servers come online."


That's good news, and explains why I'm seeing progressively better performance. Getting it seeded in advance of opening the floodgates is recommended, however.  :)
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Elvis on January 30, 2015, 06:49:33 PM
Quote from: panzerde on January 30, 2015, 06:42:29 PM
Quote from: Elvis on January 30, 2015, 05:43:42 PM
Quote from: panzerde on January 30, 2015, 05:28:18 PM
If anyone from Battlefront would like to learn about using AWS as a content distribution network that scales with demand, please call me. :-)

That is exactly what we use. And, as I understand the system, the bolded bit is what is happening now. Chris just posted this:

"Just checked in with the superiors about the slow speeds. Apparently the master download image (the file that you download) is still propagating around the cloud, so many of the download servers are not active yet. So speeds should get better through the day as more servers come online."


That's good news, and explains why I'm seeing progressively better performance. Getting it seeded in advance of opening the floodgates is recommended, however.  :)

Yeah, but that means delaying the release......which is the lesser of 2 evils? We know which BFC thinks, others may disagree.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: RyanE on January 30, 2015, 07:01:00 PM
I would suggest delaying the release.  What's the point of giving us a download with 12 hr to 2 day downloads.  That just wastes my time.  It keeps crapping out and I have to restart it.  I have given up on this for now...so what is the difference other than wasting my time.  Very poor planning.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: panzerde on January 30, 2015, 07:05:20 PM
I'd say it's pretty well seeded now, at least to the US nodes. I'm seeing 1.5 Mbps and am at 4.3GB downloaded. I'd guess it'll be pretty good the rest of the evening.

Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: RyanE on January 30, 2015, 07:07:18 PM
I am still seeing no more than 400, but as low as 100.  I have had 10 crap out since preorder was released.  I am done if this one craps out.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Elvis on January 30, 2015, 07:26:31 PM
Quote from: RyanE on January 30, 2015, 07:07:18 PM
I am still seeing no more than 400, but as low as 100.  I have had 10 crap out since preorder was released.  I am done if this one craps out.

A couple of other things that you can try (if you haven't already) is using a different browser. I get the best results with Chrome but others swear by Firefox/Firewater. Also, try setting your computer so that it doesn't go into "sleep mode"
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: RyanE on January 30, 2015, 07:28:58 PM
Tried both IE and CHrome...same result.

What bothers me is the wild cycling up and down of the speed.  That is over seconds, not minutes.  That says to me there is a misconfiguration on how the servers resources are leveled out.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: jomni on January 30, 2015, 07:58:18 PM
Yes I go from 1 mps to 500 kbps.  They won't allow parallel downloads to accelerate the download.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: WallysWorld on April 21, 2017, 10:36:22 PM
Battle Pack 1 for CMBS released: CMBS Battle Pack 1 (http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage_bfc&product_id=625&category_id=39&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26)
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Yskonyn on April 22, 2017, 05:52:32 AM
Bought.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on April 22, 2017, 06:55:00 AM
Quote from: WallysWorld on April 21, 2017, 10:36:22 PM
Battle Pack 1 for CMBS released: CMBS Battle Pack 1 (http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage_bfc&product_id=625&category_id=39&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26)

Glad to see that there's still content being released.

I'm skipping this one, though. I'm done with CM:BS until they can improve the engine to allow it run larger maps more smoothly.

Currently, I find that CMBS scenarios don't allow for maneuverability - they're mostly just knife fights where you start the mission already in contact with the enemy. The modern weapon systems usually results in a scenario starting with me moving a tank/APC 10 feet and receiving a hail of artillery, tank cannon, or ATGM fire.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: RyanE on April 22, 2017, 09:37:01 AM
I will skip it also.  I am burned out from dealing with the licensing process.  As much as it pains me to say it, Steel Beasts is where it do the majority of ground warfare now.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on April 22, 2017, 10:04:25 AM
Quote from: RyanE on April 22, 2017, 09:37:01 AM
Steel Beasts is where it do the majority of ground warfare now.

This

And...

Oddly enough, I find that DCS does large-scale ground maneuver surprisingly good. The game engine feels much more powerful than Steel Beasts, and I can maneuver larger forces (multiple, company-sized elements) over a vastly larger area (think-flight sim, sizes). I've had some scenarios where I was able to maneuver a full Brigade of vehicles, plus support echelons.

The fidelity of ground equipment and terrain within DCS is obviously not the same as Steel Beasts, but DCS' lack of detailed terrain actually works to its advantage and allows for maneuver space.


Sadly, the infantry model in both DCS and Steel Beasts is severely lacking....ok, its awful. This is one area where Combat Mission clearly shines.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: RyanE on April 22, 2017, 10:35:26 AM
I actually, I find the opposite with SB vs CM.  CM artificially clusters infantry, has no SOP, no formations, no scripting, etc.  BFC admitted they had to nerf HE impacts to account for clustering infantry.  The only areas that I see CM having an advantage is in all the tuning they finally did to machine guns and some of the AI decision making on seeking cover.

The SB 4.0 update and the ability to use infantry in a more wargame-like fashion is what finally tilted me to SB.  I see SB and CM about even in infantry, with each having its pros and cons.  But SB's ability for Tank/Infantry combined operations and the engineering capabilities of SB so completely outpace what CM can deliver.

At 3.0, I would play SB and just not get my itch scratched and go back to CM.  Now its the opposite with CMBS.  I play CMBS, see what I can't do and watch the stupid infantry run a bunched up column in a line towards a machine gun, and go back to SB.

If you are looking for the equivalent of miniature gaming on a PC, its CM.  If you want to really suss out a tactical problem, its SB.  That opinion has been transforming for about three years now.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on April 22, 2017, 10:55:17 AM
My experience with SB Infantry:


I agree that SB 4.0 has improved the infantry movement, but their ability to acquire and engage targets is still extremely sub-par.

I've been asking for more infantry options (the ability to manually control riflemen, much like LMG/ATGM troopers) but it doesn't seem to be on eSim's agenda - ever. After all, they're developing a vehicle-crew simulator, not a combined arms game.

I find CM infantry modelling to be much more accurate and satisfying - when I target an enemy force, there will actually be an engagement.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: RyanE on April 22, 2017, 11:06:11 AM
That is the one video makes the rounds when talking about SB infantry.  But I can find the same types of issues with CM.  Put a couple CM infantry squads 10 ft from each other and watch the theatrics, especially with modern weapons.  Again they each have their pros and cons.  CM vs SB enjoyment depends on what you are trying to get out of it.  I am looking for a modern or semi-modern sandbox to build out tactical problems.  AI scripting flexibility is paramount.  Combined arms is second.  Engineering capabilities is third.

The other big frustration I have with CM is the super crappy performance on modern computers.  I have had a progression of three laptops in the last three years.  Each one more powerful than the last.  CM performance has barely improved while SB performance is close to 20% better than it was three years ago.  In fact, the size of the engagements I can run decently for CM pales in comparison to SB.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on April 22, 2017, 11:22:44 AM
Quote from: RyanE on April 22, 2017, 11:06:11 AMAI scripting flexibility is paramount. Combined arms is second.  Engineering capabilities is third.

Sounds like SB is your best bet then.

Quote from: RyanE on April 22, 2017, 11:06:11 AM
The other big frustration I have with CM is the super crappy performance on modern computers.  I have had a progression of three laptops in the last three years.  Each one more powerful than the last.  CM performance has barely improved while SB performance is close to 20% better than it was three years ago.  In fact, the size of the engagements I can run decently for CM pales in comparison to SB.

Same boat. Extremely frustrating, and a deal breaker in some cases. I'll take performance over graphics, any day of the week.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: mikeck on April 22, 2017, 11:51:51 AM
This has always frustrated me as well: performance. I understand that there are a lot of calculations which occur but that is a RAM and processor thing. I play Graviteam games and they have the same calculations except the graphics are light years better AND it runs far more smoothly.

I like CM but over time I stopped with it because I can get games as detailed and realistic but with better graphics and performance.
Title: Re: Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order
Post by: RyanE on April 22, 2017, 12:08:01 PM
The one thing that has always kept me coming back to CM is the WEGO system and turn recorder.  I am at a point now its less important and SB has improved their recorder and AAR system to the point, I miss it less.  I really like Graviteam's AAR system, I just wish you could access it during play.