GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Anguille on November 07, 2014, 03:21:23 AM

Title: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: Anguille on November 07, 2014, 03:21:23 AM


Happy New Year!

Going to play mostly:

- Omerta: the japanese incentive campaign...it plays differentely than the main campaign with the new aspects (like other gangs)...played the first scenario already...nice.

- Endless Space. Learning the game and starting my first campaign.

My pbem Storm over the Pacific is finished....JAPANESE VICTORY!
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: Toonces on November 07, 2014, 03:52:53 AM
Ok brah, I choose to let this one ride.  I call next week!
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: Anguille on November 07, 2014, 04:05:40 AM
No what?  :o
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: tgb on November 07, 2014, 06:03:17 AM
Finishing up the US campaign in Buzz Aldrin's Space  Program Manager and diving into Apollo4x
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 07, 2014, 07:51:09 AM
"Wishing to enlarge your wealth?"

That's mighty nice of you, Anguille. Here's hoping...

This weekend in gaming. Hmm. Doing more playthroughs of Field Commander: Rommel for the Tanksgiving article I'll be doing. Also some Warfighter plus expansions with my son - he's eager to try it out, and I gotta capitalize on that because he normally does not like board games (how is he MY son?!?!?!?).

Will do some more Beyond Earth. I'm tempted to write up a review of that game, or even an AAR, especially after it was generously donated. :) I think we should do some kind of multiplayer, but if not, AAR would work.

Are we doing more MP for Warlock on Sunday morning?

Also want to break out Phantom Leader Deluxe for review purposes. Hopefully going to be a good boardgaming weekend!
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: Barthheart on November 07, 2014, 07:55:55 AM
Got beer filled cottage closing weekend ahead so nothing but board games...
Wings of War
Beer drinking
Frag!
Beer drinking
Road Kill Rally
Beer drinking
Shovelling snow off dock so we can take it out of the lake.
Beer drinking

Warlock gang - I'll AFK all weekend. It was supposed to be last weekend but the cottage owner had to work.

Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: Rayfer on November 07, 2014, 07:56:45 AM
CM: Red Thunder and more Wasteland 2 goodness.
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: undercovergeek on November 07, 2014, 08:13:44 AM
Elite

Rome II

CKII

some PBEM with my vainglorious buddies Tuna and SDR

have a good weekend chaps
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: bboyer66 on November 07, 2014, 08:30:45 AM
War Thunder , flying the British plane line, and driving the Russian tank line

Maybe Football Manager 2015, if I buy it. Will check out the forums to see how many bugs it has at launch.

F1 2014

Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: Gusington on November 07, 2014, 08:51:40 AM
Playing the new Wings but it's leaving me kinda meh. May try Ace Patrol or switch over to OFF. Or may revert to Shadow of Mordor and AoWIII until Dragon Age: Inquisition comes out next week.
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: jomni on November 07, 2014, 09:13:48 AM
Speaking of the Chinese (the title of this thread is Chinese), I  started playing the Graviteam Tactics China vs USSR campaign.   The first operation was a farce. Player controlled Chinese recon teams have no match against Russian tanks. I guess it's more of story telling than an actual winnable operation... to set the scene for the next operation.

The Chinese voices in Graviteam sucks big time. It's another comedic farce!
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: Tuna on November 07, 2014, 09:24:43 AM
Quote from: Gusington on November 07, 2014, 08:51:40 AM
Playing the new Wings but it's leaving me kinda meh. May try Ace Patrol or switch over to OFF. Or may revert to Shadow of Mordor and AoWIII until Dragon Age: Inquisition comes out next week.

Gus, Nef, SDR and I might do some New Wings MP this weekend if you're interested..
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: MengJiao on November 07, 2014, 09:44:18 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on November 07, 2014, 08:13:44 AM
Elite

Rome II

CKII

   Maybe some CKII.  Pacific thing PBEM.  Gonna take Madang, and take some names.  Maybe some Far Cry 3.  There have been some astoundingly nightmar-ish morments:  vehicular 12.7mm, explosions, tigers, machettes.  Its nice that thunderstorms at night make it hard for the pirates to spot you, but that doesn't necessarily save you from your own stupidity.

Which is nice and the Pirates are such fun to kill!  That's what really makes the game!
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: Kushan on November 07, 2014, 10:05:50 AM
I plan on watching a lot of Blizzcon on the virtual ticket this weekend.

Command, EUIV as Austria, and Xenonauts, and a little Wasteland 2 will fill in any spare time.
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: Nefaro on November 07, 2014, 10:58:01 AM
Quote from: bboyer66 on November 07, 2014, 08:30:45 AM
War Thunder , flying the British plane line, and driving the Russian tank line




The "X-ray view" tank penetration replay thing in WT looks amazing.  I haven't played since they added that (and some other stuff) in War Thunder Ground Forces, but I want to check it out. 
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: Sir Slash on November 07, 2014, 11:16:17 AM
I'm trying to make some progress with my long ignored CM campaigns-- very slow progress. Mostly just helping the enemy to test the accuracy of their guns. actually. Along with some more Rome 2 and rum to help fight my cold.
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: donkey_roxor on November 07, 2014, 11:40:25 AM
Going to finish up the Advanced Warfare campaign.
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: WallysWorld on November 07, 2014, 12:23:30 PM
Fallout 3
EU:Rome with the Reign of the Ancients mod
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: JasonPratt on November 07, 2014, 12:36:23 PM
The computer cannily smacked me good in my Last Nestorian King (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=11461.0) CK2 (Charlemagne) Campaign earlier this week, but I married off my adoring anti-Christ daughter into a petty Ethiopian subkingdom as a tyke bomb, and if I can keep my war going long enough with that new promoted peasant sheik up on the Arabian mainland I should be able to catch back up and try invading him again this week. Assuming my daughter doesn't bring about the end of the world or otherwise open up some opportunities on the African mainland.

May continue the frankly amazing modern Ghostbusters video game, too; and start getting into the new Buzz Aldrin remake/expansion.
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: BigBlueFleet on November 07, 2014, 01:36:30 PM
Trying to get a feel for WITE 1.08 beta and how the new rules relate to battles , also come up with plans for the Axis forces to romp eastward.

I'm burning brain cells I can't afford to lose. :)
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: Rayfer on November 07, 2014, 03:32:00 PM
Quote from: BigBlueFleet on November 07, 2014, 01:36:30 PM
Trying to get a feel for WITE 1.08 beta and how the new rules relate to battles , also come up with plans for the Axis forces to romp eastward.

I'm burning brain cells I can't afford to lose. :)

Would like to hear your 'feel' for the update. I haven't had time to check it out. Anything drastically changed?
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: Arctic Blast on November 07, 2014, 03:36:40 PM
Cleaning Out Parents Basement So Their Reno Can Start Monday is one I don't recommend. The graphics are drab and repetitive, and the game concepts are tired and dusty.

Finalizing Car Purchase is an example of a great game with a really boring prequel section. I hope to finish the prequel.

If I have time beyond that, Shadow of Mordor is a good bet for more play.
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: Gusington on November 07, 2014, 03:54:21 PM
Tuna Wings MP would be cool...I'm not home tonight but home the rest of the weekend. Wouldn't think you guys would like Wings....not hardcore enough...
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: Arctic Blast on November 07, 2014, 04:01:14 PM
Quote from: Gusington on November 07, 2014, 03:54:21 PM
Tuna Wings MP would be cool...I'm not home tonight but home the rest of the weekend. Wouldn't think you guys would like Wings....not hardcore enough...

You now have to develop a game called Tuna Wings. This must be a thing that exists.
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: BigBlueFleet on November 07, 2014, 04:09:09 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on November 07, 2014, 03:32:00 PM
Quote from: BigBlueFleet on November 07, 2014, 01:36:30 PM
Trying to get a feel for WITE 1.08 beta and how the new rules relate to battles , also come up with plans for the Axis forces to romp eastward.

I'm burning brain cells I can't afford to lose. :)

Would like to hear your 'feel' for the update. I haven't had time to check it out. Anything drastically changed?

Hello Rayfer,
So far I haven't noticed anything that I'd call drastic.

It looks like morale is easier to gain by winning battles (or lose by losing them.)  I'm feeling I've been getting more scouts than I used to instead of losses as the Axis.

I also believe that support units are helping the cause with more frequency during hasty attacks and I believe I see it more often in defense as well than in past patches..

Those are opinions and nothing scientific.  :) ;)

The point system has definitely been tweaked for the better so it's easier to move support units at lower costs in a pinch.

Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: Cyrano on November 07, 2014, 04:16:37 PM
CM:RT

CM:BN -- I'm a bit mad at the Scottish Corridor campaign, but very much want to return to it.  Plus, I think my months'-long "Monty's Butchers" PBEM will finally come to an end.

CM:SF in preparation for Black Sea.

Renaissance:  Pavia -- yep, it's a bad day for the French, but, at a minimum, Doug is unlikely to get his sausage-stained mitts on Francis.

Thunder Alley

Memoir '44

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
8/7)


Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: MetalDog on November 07, 2014, 07:17:49 PM
I've got a great solo Civ IV game going.  Wrote a little about in last weeks Friday thread.  Progressed to the point where I made Boudica my bitch.  No war currently going on, but Caesar just declared on Mansa Musa.  I need to get in that, but, my War Weariness is high and I will have to wait a while before I can join the festivities.
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: DennisS on November 07, 2014, 07:43:04 PM
Looks like some Knights of Honor, then transition into a little Graviteam Tactics..and I may go old school..picked up X-Com Terror From the Deep just the other day on Steam.
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 07, 2014, 07:46:09 PM
Looks like I'll be tooling around a bit now with B-17: The Mighty 8th. I have a thread started in the AAR section as I want to try to do a video-based AAR. Gotta do some manual reading and video testing to be sure. I know I can get it to work (already have tested it on another game), but I'm worried my old PC will get choppy with the recordin'. Still gonna try anyway.
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: GDS_Starfury on November 07, 2014, 07:51:01 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on November 07, 2014, 04:01:14 PM
You now have to develop a game called Tuna Wings. This must be a thing that exists.

Im pretty sure, that at some point, either Mirth or I dated her.
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: Rayfer on November 07, 2014, 08:24:29 PM
BBF...thanks for the WitE update. One of these days I want to check it out myself.
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: Toonces on November 07, 2014, 10:46:00 PM
I'd like to learn how to play EUIV finally, so maybe some of that this weekend.

And I just started a new campaign in Fallout 3 and just got to Megaton.  So I'll be digging back into that.  Seems to be working ok on my computer for now...
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: Staggerwing on November 07, 2014, 11:02:27 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on November 07, 2014, 04:01:14 PM
Quote from: Gusington on November 07, 2014, 03:54:21 PM
Tuna Wings MP would be cool...I'm not home tonight but home the rest of the weekend. Wouldn't think you guys would like Wings....not hardcore enough...

You now have to develop a game called Tuna Wings. This must be a thing that exists.

I larfed and larfed, I did. And agreed I did.
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: Ian C on November 08, 2014, 04:55:11 AM
I'm playing Fable Anniversary on PC and I'm relishing starting the 1914 scenario as the UK in Making History The Great War.
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: Gusington on November 08, 2014, 01:45:20 PM
'Sup there Tuna Wings... :2funny:
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: Martok on November 08, 2014, 03:12:41 PM
My Aragon campaign in Medieval Total War/Viking Invasion continues:  Castille-Leon and I have begun our war to retake Iberia from the Moorish infidels; our fellow Catholics in Portugal would like to help, but are too weak to assist in any meaningful way at this time.  Am working to launch a Crusade for Granada in the near future. 

Almoravid princes have some scary stats.  Fortunately, I have a general who's scarier.  >:D 


Have also started a new Romulan campaign in Birth of the Federation (BOP mod).  Gawd, those ships look pretty... 

Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: Nefaro on November 08, 2014, 09:45:32 PM
Quote from: Martok on November 08, 2014, 03:12:41 PM
My Aragon campaign in Medieval Total War/Viking Invasion continues:  Castille-Leon and I have begun our war to retake Iberia from the Moorish infidels; our fellow Catholics in Portugal would like to help, but are too weak to assist in any meaningful way at this time.  Am working to launch a Crusade for Granada in the near future. 

Almoravid princes have some scary stats. Fortunately, I have a general who's scarier.  >:D 



Who's that?  El Cid?

I've not played either MTW in years.  Especially the first one.
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: MetalDog on November 09, 2014, 12:32:29 PM
I hate it when you don't see what's right in front of your face.  I had 74 Turns left in a Time Victory Condition Civ IV BtS solo game.  I was ~500 points behind the leader, Mansa Musa.  Fifteen or so Turns ago, he talked Gandhi (who was Shaka's vassal) and Shaka into Capitulating and becoming his vassals.  That's what opened the large gap between the two of us.  Resigned to my fate, as Mansa Musa already possessed the largest military on the board, I sought to over take him Culturally.  So, I bumped the Culture slider up from 40% to 80% and put several of my cities to making Culture exclusively.  Never once did I think he would attack me.  Silly man, this is Civ IV, and if the game can kick your ass, it will.  With extreme prejudice.  Instead of frustrating myself trying to defend, I Retired and came here to boo-hoo about my ill luck (or lack of foresight, whichever you prefer).  Not that I have any hope of winning, but, I think the next game will be one step harder, and I will try it on Monarch.  Nothing like a glutton for punishment.

Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: JasonPratt on November 09, 2014, 02:25:16 PM
I can commisserate. Or however the French spell that word.  :buck2: My "Last Nestorian King" campaign (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=11461.msg295121#msg295121) ended ingloriously this morning once a faction somewhere finally cared enough and had built enough ships to just send 3000 troops to my little island to pick it up.  :'(

Final score, zero. Really, game? I could have surrendered and still lost, but had a final score in the high 600s instead?

Oh, well. Before I go back to that game, I'm taking a stab at The Soviet campaign on Buzz Aldrin's new game (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=11711.0).
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: Gusington on November 09, 2014, 03:16:07 PM
The Dog of Metal got his arse kicked by...Mali?
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 09, 2014, 06:23:19 PM
I finally beat Civ: Beyond Earth through a Contact victory. Strange way to win.
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: Tuna on November 09, 2014, 06:38:51 PM
Did PBEM PON with UCG and SDR.. Game has been fun for me last few turns, lot of 'war' going on.

ROF MP yesterday with Nefaro and Father Ted.. I forgot how much I enjoyed ROF MP, and definitely want to put more time in. I may have to pick up a few more birds during the next sale.

Finished my AOW IIIgame as Dreadnaughts.. this was the first time where I was 'forging' items for my Heroes, is this available with every race? Don't know if I had the chance the first to game and just didn't know any better.

Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 09, 2014, 06:45:14 PM
Yes, you just need to build the arcane forge in one of your cities.

I'm playing an empire building campaign as the orcs.  God damn but it's slow paced when you've got no neutral's cities to take and have to build all of your own.  The game will spawn units to attack any settler or builder unit that's not protected.
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: Gusington on November 09, 2014, 06:54:05 PM
^I have a dreadnaught orc campaign ongoing...orcs are very fun to play, and when combined with the dreadnaught tech...ooo la la.
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: Nefaro on November 09, 2014, 11:10:40 PM
Quote from: Tuna on November 09, 2014, 06:38:51 PM


ROF MP yesterday with Nefaro and Father Ted.. I forgot how much I enjoyed ROF MP, and definitely want to put more time in. I may have to pick up a few more birds during the next sale.

I've been having a great time playing ROF multi-player on the Full Real servers with actual objectives in them.  When there are some people there, anyway. 

Was rather sore that their login server went down yesterday, right when I was ready to get heavily invested in the Wargrounds server.  :'(  Then I missed today's fun for various reasons.  Hope to see some fat servers a couple nights this week.

I expect the November sale on Steam to have ROF packages highly discounted (I have the Steam version) and, if not, the Xmas sale certainly will.  Gonna pick up the bomber one when it hits and maybe the latest one with the Hanriot too.  Really notice the hole in my hangar in some of those MP missions where I don't have the DFW C.V but want to do some Recon & bombing tasks. 
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: GDS_Starfury on November 09, 2014, 11:41:37 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 09, 2014, 06:23:19 PM
I finally beat Civ: Beyond Earth through a Contact victory. Strange way to win.

you just have to find the clitoris and make contact with it.

pretty simple really.
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: Sir Slash on November 10, 2014, 12:09:02 AM
Followed by prolonged contact which results in a "Screams Your Name" Victory. ^-^
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: Nefaro on November 10, 2014, 04:23:31 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 09, 2014, 11:41:37 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 09, 2014, 06:23:19 PM
I finally beat Civ: Beyond Earth through a Contact victory. Strange way to win.

you just have to find the clitoris and make contact with it.

pretty simple really.



;D


Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 10, 2014, 07:52:41 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 09, 2014, 11:41:37 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 09, 2014, 06:23:19 PM
I finally beat Civ: Beyond Earth through a Contact victory. Strange way to win.

you just have to find the clitoris and make contact with it.

pretty simple really.

I've been married 21+ years. You don't think that's because I can make contact with it?
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: Anguille on November 10, 2014, 08:34:23 AM
Played Endless Space...the music is nice, the graphics look great but it is still not grabbing me...not sure why, but so far it's a tad too boring for me (played about 2 hours)...just had to start a new Master of Orion game to compensate...
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: Shelldrake on November 10, 2014, 08:41:17 AM
Finally finished Bioshock (ending was very satisfying) and spent some time with the Steam version of Company of Heroes with the latest version of the Blitzkrieg mod. I highly recommend this mod.
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: Shelldrake on November 10, 2014, 08:45:36 AM
Quote from: Anguille on November 10, 2014, 08:34:23 AM
Played Endless Space...the music is nice, the graphics look great but it is still not grabbing me...not sure why, but so far it's a tad too boring for me (played about 2 hours)...just had to start a new Master of Orion game to compensate...

I hear you. I have played for a total of 34 hours but will be putting the game aside once my latest game is finished. 
Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: Martok on November 10, 2014, 09:02:06 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on November 08, 2014, 09:45:32 PM
Quote from: Martok on November 08, 2014, 03:12:41 PM
My Aragon campaign in Medieval Total War/Viking Invasion continues:  Castille-Leon and I have begun our war to retake Iberia from the Moorish infidels; our fellow Catholics in Portugal would like to help, but are too weak to assist in any meaningful way at this time.  Am working to launch a Crusade for Granada in the near future. 

Almoravid princes have some scary stats. Fortunately, I have a general who's scarier.  >:D 



Who's that?  El Cid?

I've not played either MTW in years.  Especially the first one.
Well now it's his successor, Lord Granville -- the Cid died on me just a couple turns/years ago, may he rest in peace.  However, Granville has the same stats, so it's all good.  O0 

Title: Re: Gong xi fa cai! and it's Friday!
Post by: MengJiao on November 10, 2014, 09:47:05 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on November 07, 2014, 09:44:18 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on November 07, 2014, 08:13:44 AM
Elite

Rome II

CKII

   Maybe some CKII.  Pacific thing PBEM.  Gonna take Madang, and take some names.  Maybe some Far Cry 3.  There have been some astoundingly nightmar-ish morments:  vehicular 12.7mm, explosions, tigers, machettes.  Its nice that thunderstorms at night make it hard for the pirates to spot you, but that doesn't necessarily save you from your own stupidity.

Which is nice and the Pirates are such fun to kill!  That's what really makes the game!

  Yep.  That's what happened.  A regiment of the US 32nd Div is slogging its way into Madang and I'm still plugging away at Far Cry 3, though there seem to be some "doesn't-quite-work for PCs" problems with some key mappings and such.  Hope FC4 is more workable for PCs.

  I really like the way you move around and shoot in FC3 and the visual and visceral qualities of the islands and the stuff on them.