GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Father Ted on November 24, 2014, 01:58:46 PM

Title: Naval Action
Post by: Father Ted on November 24, 2014, 01:58:46 PM
Anyone know what this http://www.navalaction.com/ (http://www.navalaction.com/) is?  Looks great, but I can't seem to see what sort of game it is...
Title: Re: Naval Action
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 24, 2014, 02:05:37 PM
There's a rather lengthy thread about the game over at SimHQ.  Sounds like it's a MP-only naval combat sim set in the Age of Sail. 

I'm keeping an eye on it.  Love to see some Age of Sail stuff done right.  Not too keen on the MP only aspect of it all though.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4011270/NAVAL_ACTION_-_Pre-Order_up._T#Post4011270 (http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4011270/NAVAL_ACTION_-_Pre-Order_up._T#Post4011270)
Title: Re: Naval Action
Post by: Nefaro on November 24, 2014, 02:40:43 PM
Quote from: Father Ted on November 24, 2014, 01:58:46 PM
Anyone know what this http://www.navalaction.com/ (http://www.navalaction.com/) is?  Looks great, but I can't seem to see what sort of game it is...


I've been keeping an eye on it since earlier this year.  Pretty sure they changed the name a bit since their early Alpha.

It's supposed to end up being a sandbox MMO (think Eve Online here) although they plan to roll it out in specific stages.  Such that the first public release iteration will probably be an arena battle type of game, somewhat similar to WOT/WT.  And then on up to full blown MMO later.  I expect this will take quite a while to reach the end stage but is definitely worth keeping tabs on.
Title: Re: Naval Action
Post by: fabius on November 24, 2014, 03:36:54 PM
I think it is from the team that Darth joined and made Ultimate General with.
Title: Re: Naval Action
Post by: jomni on November 24, 2014, 05:01:39 PM
So it says it will have the largest open world in history. 
Does it mean you will sail for great distances without even seeing some action?
Note: looks like you can actually teleport.

Would be great if there's a sailing sim with real navigation (no GPS minimaps), not just battle.
Title: Re: Naval Action
Post by: Slick Wilhelm on November 24, 2014, 09:01:53 PM
This looks very promising! It could be the first really well-done age of sail combat game. Hopefully, there will be some play against the AI available.
Title: Re: Naval Action
Post by: Father Ted on November 25, 2014, 01:19:13 PM
Thanks for the info chaps.  So it's a you-are -the-ship-type affair rather than an FPS in which you control a ship?
Title: Re: Naval Action
Post by: Nefaro on November 25, 2014, 05:04:13 PM
Quote from: Father Ted on November 25, 2014, 01:19:13 PM
Thanks for the info chaps.  So it's a you-are -the-ship-type affair rather than an FPS in which you control a ship?

Looks like you run the ship from the deck.  So, yes I suppose.  :)
Title: Re: Naval Action
Post by: smithcorp on November 25, 2014, 05:41:58 PM
I pre-ordered this a few months ago and got a Steam key for the sea trials (alpha testing). I think this looks great, but i haven't been able to experience it yet - just when I had time to play for the first time last night, the servers were down for an update!
Title: Re: Naval Action
Post by: RedArgo on November 29, 2014, 07:31:41 PM
Just got my steam key and played a couple games.  I'm not sure what I'm doing, but it sure looks good.  Second game I even sunk an AI ship and my team won a PVE match.

I probably have automatic settings for sailing turned on and I don't know how to aim.  Pretty easy at point blank, but I don't think I'm hitting anything at longer ranges.  I need to look at their website for some directions.

At this point in development definitely reminds me of World of Tanks, but much slower.  The timer says one hour for a game, but both mine were over in about 20 minutes.
Title: Re: Naval Action
Post by: RedArgo on December 20, 2014, 05:48:42 PM
They added a couple new ship types.  The Snow which is a small frigate I think and the giant ship of the line Santisima.

Here are a couple of screenshots from recent battles.  You can see from the bottom left the circle filled with water, I'm already dead.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1377.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fah70%2Fwawalter70%2FBig2_zpsaef0fd61.png&hash=33fe0f37c2ef41a59b9b337254d6e457cd8c8977)

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1377.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fah70%2Fwawalter70%2FBig1_zps6c89e615.png&hash=c09925ce919d093e1ca069442364346804e44ea7)
Title: Re: Naval Action
Post by: MengJiao on December 22, 2014, 10:05:12 AM
Quote from: RedArgo on December 20, 2014, 05:48:42 PM
They added a couple new ship types.  The Snow which is a small frigate I think and the giant ship of the line Santisima.

  IIRC, there was a Santissima Trinidad (Most Holy Trinity).  130 guns.  I guess the joke was 3 decks of guns.
Title: Re: Naval Action
Post by: Cyrano on December 22, 2014, 10:34:06 AM
Yep, the Saint Triangle to those that love or hate her:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_ship_Nuestra_Se%C3%B1ora_de_la_Sant%C3%ADsima_Trinidad

There's an almost poetic absurdity to this ship.  Outgunned everything floating at the time, but could do little to prevent the pounding the combined fleet took at Trafalgar.  She and the Victory are the only two ships I've ever had a notion to try and model...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Title: Re: Naval Action
Post by: magnus on December 22, 2014, 05:24:59 PM
 If the put in the L'Orient, call me.
Title: Re: Naval Action
Post by: GDS_Starfury on December 22, 2014, 05:57:58 PM
naval action the right way

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2F00%2Fs%2FMzk2WDc4Mg%3D%3D%2F%24%28KGrHqN%2C%21pkF%21tS74MbOBQdJts50%2CQ%7E%7E60_35.JPG&hash=cc33bde6aadaf202ba65d271e1e53fe825c74e0a)
Title: Re: Naval Action
Post by: Jarhead0331 on December 26, 2014, 03:13:08 PM
Anyone who has even a passing interest in sailing age warfare must keep a sharp eye on the development of this game. I just picked up the sea trials alpha, had no idea what I was doing and still had an absolute blast. The game is also absolutely beautiful and it sounds amazing too.

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/t31.0-8/10750439_10200347496246199_549100672620319648_o.jpg)

(https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t31.0-8/10887087_10200347496726211_5365352487918037720_o.jpg)

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t31.0-8/10873424_10200347496406203_9221885890336988362_o.jpg)

(https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t31.0-8/10496045_10200347496206198_9018595831473219082_o.jpg)

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t31.0-8/10838095_10200347496846214_3000802278928410992_o.jpg)

(https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t31.0-8/10887068_10200347497366227_836439553248596175_o.jpg)

(https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/10669181_10200347497806238_864445369942913174_o.jpg)

(https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t31.0-8/10608406_10200347497566232_5307036871117045149_o.jpg)

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t31.0-8/1801308_10200347497726236_7142559221434579486_o.jpg)

(https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t31.0-8/10887491_10200347498726261_7351312836202630840_o.jpg)

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t31.0-8/10856591_10200347498846264_7155180221066294829_o.jpg)
Title: Re: Naval Action
Post by: Bison on December 26, 2014, 03:24:06 PM
That is a really beautiful looking game.
Title: Re: Naval Action
Post by: mirth on December 26, 2014, 03:54:20 PM
Quote from: Bison on December 26, 2014, 03:24:06 PM
That is a really beautiful looking game.

+1 Every screenie I've seen has been gorgeous.
Title: Re: Naval Action
Post by: Cyrano on December 26, 2014, 10:22:25 PM
It's essentially the sailing dynamics of Pirates of the Burning Sea without so much magic-rubbish peanut butter in my historical gaming chocolate.  Which is all I really wanted.  A critical skill, at least in the current build, is calculating (read: guessing) at distance when firing.  This necessarily involves firing on the up- or down-roll depending on the circumstances and is a neat, simple choice.  You can also fire partial broadsides to calculate ranging shots and them hammer home once you've found same.  Mind, I've not personally been able to pull this stunt off, but it was certainly done to me on more than one occasion.

Unsurprisingly, I suppose, it's lackluster PvE, but, get into a bigger PvP match and it's pretty spectacular.

I'll admit I was unaware there was a leveling grind -- even in an Alpha like this -- to get the bigger ships, but even those I've earned so far are great fun.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Title: Re: Naval Action
Post by: Nefaro on December 26, 2014, 10:31:27 PM
The sail textures make them actually look like sails.   :o
Title: Re: Naval Action
Post by: Cyrano on December 26, 2014, 11:56:21 PM
+1 on that...I also love watching my opponents add or back sails as appropriate...nice sense of place.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Title: Re: Naval Action
Post by: Grim.Reaper on December 19, 2015, 08:43:33 AM
Looks like they have made available for purchase again (to join their Alpha).....really looks nice, but without a single player option, a no go for me.

http://www.navalaction.com/purchase/
Title: Re: Naval Action
Post by: IronX on December 19, 2015, 12:53:35 PM
This one is definitely on my wish-list, but you have to wait another week (Friday) before you get the key.

It's coming out next month on Steam Early Access too, so may pick it up then.
Title: Re: Naval Action
Post by: besilarius on December 19, 2015, 01:07:32 PM
And, of course, a hula-hoop with a nail in it, is a navel destroyer.
Title: Re: Naval Action
Post by: bob48 on December 19, 2015, 01:47:32 PM
^groan...........
Title: Re: Naval Action
Post by: Nefaro on December 19, 2015, 07:48:21 PM
Had a good time with the pvp battles months ago.  But the game was progressing so quickly, with lots to be added, so I filed it for future feature-completeness.

From what I've seen recently, they've had a budding open world facet added for awhile now and have been steadily adding stuff.  O0
Title: Re: Naval Action
Post by: mikeck on December 20, 2015, 02:08:14 PM
I have wanted a game like this for years but I need single player. Damn