GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: steve58 on November 24, 2014, 02:32:27 PM

Title: Steam Exploration Sale...
Post by: steve58 on November 24, 2014, 02:32:27 PM
...rumored to be starting this Wednesday (Nov 26th) and not to be confused with the Steam Winter Sale starting next month sometime (I'm guessing somewhere around the 19th).
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale...
Post by: tgb on November 24, 2014, 04:34:27 PM
I kind of doubt it.  Steam doesn't normally post week-long sales on the Monday before a big holiday sale, and they did today.
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale...
Post by: steve58 on November 24, 2014, 07:59:16 PM
...maybe, but the Autumn Sale began on 11/27 last year (http://www.gamespot.com/articles/steam-autumn-sale-2013-starts-now/1100-6416443/)...and the current Weekly Sale is pretty...weak  :D.  Not saying the Autumn "sale" will be good/great, will probably wait for the Winter Sale prices myself...
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale...
Post by: bbmike on November 24, 2014, 08:25:19 PM
You know, at some point I have to eventually hit game singularity - the point at which my game library exceeds the number of games on sale thus radically changing or even ending civilization as I know it.  :P
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale...
Post by: Ubercat on November 24, 2014, 08:36:17 PM
Quote from: bbmike on November 24, 2014, 08:25:19 PM
You know, at some point I have to eventually hit game singularity - the point at which my game library exceeds the number of games on sale thus radically changing or even ending civilization as I know it.  :P

Speaking of singularities, what the heck is your avatar pic from? It looks like vintage 70's sci-fi of some sort.
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale...
Post by: bbmike on November 24, 2014, 08:44:35 PM
The Time Tunnel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Time_Tunnel)  :)
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale...
Post by: steve58 on November 24, 2014, 08:58:23 PM
I remember that show (fondly)...seems like they, like Star Trek's transporters, always had a time tunnel glitch, at the most inopportune moment...
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale...
Post by: Steelgrave on November 24, 2014, 10:01:32 PM
Quote from: bbmike on November 24, 2014, 08:44:35 PM
The Time Tunnel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Time_Tunnel)  :)

I knew where it was from. Of course, I watched it first run as a kid. Yeah, I'm old.   8)
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale...
Post by: mirth on November 24, 2014, 10:06:53 PM
An Irwin Allen 'classic'. I loved watching them as a kid, but man were they mostly dumb.
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale...
Post by: Gusington on November 24, 2014, 10:41:41 PM
I hope you're right about the sale...I have two relatively inexpensive items that I'm waiting to come down just a little more in price and I don't want to wait another month because I'm a child. OK maybe three items.
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale...
Post by: GDS_Starfury on November 24, 2014, 10:48:48 PM
4 you say...
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale...
Post by: WallysWorld on November 24, 2014, 11:09:58 PM
Been trying out a demo of a racing game on Steam and I'm definitely waiting for the sale to start too.
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale...
Post by: GDS_Starfury on November 24, 2014, 11:20:51 PM
which one?
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale...
Post by: WallysWorld on November 24, 2014, 11:25:44 PM
Nascar '14. I know the reviews on it have been so-so, but I'm really enjoying racing at Charlotte which comes with the demo.
Title: Re: Steam Exploration Sale...
Post by: steve58 on November 26, 2014, 01:07:47 PM
The Autumn Exploration sale has started...
Title: Re: Steam Exploration Sale...
Post by: WallysWorld on November 26, 2014, 01:09:10 PM
Steam's site is experiencing heavy load issues now.
Title: Re: Steam Exploration Sale...
Post by: Arctic Blast on November 26, 2014, 02:01:48 PM
Ooooo...Flashpoint Campaigns : Red Storm is 80% off!
Title: Re: Steam Exploration Sale...
Post by: republic on November 26, 2014, 03:18:41 PM
I'm thinking of picking up DCS Mig-21, Desktop Dungeons, and Unity of Command Trilogy.  I have about $60 in store credit.  Anyone have any thoughts on these three?  I know Unity of Command is widely praised and I'm mildly embarrassed at only now picking it up.
Title: Re: Steam Exploration Sale...
Post by: Philippe on November 26, 2014, 03:43:15 PM
I think the Unity of Command bundle is going for about $8 on Steam.

The game itself is brilliant, the AI will keep you on your toes (and that's very unusual), and there are quite a few interesting scenarios that can be downloaded to supplement (and in a few cases improve) on the scenarios that come with the game.  The gestalt may be a little different from what your used to, so I would suggest just going with it for a while before you start messing around with multi-player or custom scenarios (some of which are very good, some of which aren't, and if you pay attention to who designed them you can figure out which custom scenarios you shouldn't ignore).

For anything under twenty bucks this is a no-brainer.
Title: Re: Steam Exploration Sale...
Post by: smittyohio on November 26, 2014, 04:07:50 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on November 26, 2014, 02:01:48 PM
Ooooo...Flashpoint Campaigns : Red Storm is 80% off!

Wow... I couldn't resist at that price. 
Title: Re: Steam Exploration Sale...
Post by: SirAndrewD on November 26, 2014, 04:41:56 PM
Arma 3 is 35% off.  I've been waiting for a sale to get that.  Hasn't it been lower before though?
Title: Re: Steam Exploration Sale...
Post by: Grim.Reaper on November 26, 2014, 04:44:48 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on November 26, 2014, 04:41:56 PM
Arma 3 is 35% off.  I've been waiting for a sale to get that.  Hasn't it been lower before though?

According to the www.isthereanydeal.com site which tracks price history and the lowest prices for games, lowest price has been $29......I believe when it was early access, I picked up for $32.
Title: Re: Steam Exploration Sale...
Post by: SirAndrewD on November 26, 2014, 05:00:40 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 26, 2014, 04:44:48 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on November 26, 2014, 04:41:56 PM
Arma 3 is 35% off.  I've been waiting for a sale to get that.  Hasn't it been lower before though?

According to the www.isthereanydeal.com site which tracks price history and the lowest prices for games, lowest price has been $29......I believe when it was early access, I picked up for $32.

Fantastic, thanks.  I think I may give it a go at $38.  Of course, if I do that, you know it'll drop to something ridiculous around Christmas. 

Title: Re: Steam Exploration Sale...
Post by: Grim.Reaper on November 26, 2014, 05:02:22 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on November 26, 2014, 05:00:40 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 26, 2014, 04:44:48 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on November 26, 2014, 04:41:56 PM
Arma 3 is 35% off.  I've been waiting for a sale to get that.  Hasn't it been lower before though?

According to the www.isthereanydeal.com site which tracks price history and the lowest prices for games, lowest price has been $29......I believe when it was early access, I picked up for $32.

Fantastic, thanks.  I think I may give it a go at $38.  Of course, if I do that, you know it'll drop to something ridiculous around Christmas.

Always a possibility:)
Title: Re: Steam Exploration Sale...
Post by: Gusington on November 26, 2014, 07:10:25 PM
Ryse: Son of Rome for 29.99. 25% off but somehow not quite low enough for me.
Title: Re: Steam Exploration Sale...
Post by: Arctic Blast on November 27, 2014, 01:21:07 PM
Great sales today...but I own most of the ones I'd be interested in.

Title: Re: Steam Exploration Sale...
Post by: MengJiao on November 28, 2014, 09:37:38 AM
Quote from: republic on November 26, 2014, 03:18:41 PM
I'm thinking of picking up DCS Mig-21, Desktop Dungeons, and Unity of Command Trilogy.  I have about $60 in store credit.  Anyone have any thoughts on these three?  I know Unity of Command is widely praised and I'm mildly embarrassed at only now picking it up.

   If I got to do all my purchases over, I would buy MiG-21 at any reasonable price (even the 49.99 or whatever I paid) and not buy Unity of Command even if I were paid to do it.  Ultimately its a very unsatisfying game, while MiG21 is weirdly wonderful.
Title: Re: Steam Exploration Sale...
Post by: republic on November 28, 2014, 11:02:45 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on November 28, 2014, 09:37:38 AM
   If I got to do all my purchases over, I would buy MiG-21 at any reasonable price (even the 49.99 or whatever I paid) and not buy Unity of Command even if I were paid to do it.  Ultimately its a very unsatisfying game, while MiG21 is weirdly wonderful.

I ended up getting MiG-21 and have been having a blast with it.  It feels like the most realistic aircraft I've ever flown.  Blew a tire on takeoff because I waited too long to rotate, then had a flameout on climb I'm guessing because I was too aggressive on the throttle.  I can't wait to learn the systems so I can do some high speed ground attacks on a multiplayer server.

I haven't played Unity of Command much, it seems like it'll be fun.

Also picked up Desktop Dungeons its a good game to play while I'm waiting on something.

Risk of Rain seemed too cheap to pass up.

Warlock 2 at Greenman is very tempting, but Cheapshark tells me I might get the Great Mage Edition even cheaper during a Christmas sale.